Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

The NFL needs to pony up for full-time, highly trained refs.  They are being penny wise and pound foolish.  You can have the best players in the world, but if games keep getting decided by bad calls from unqualified (or at least under-trained) officials, people will lose interest.  It’s always bad (I mean the Browns have gotten screwed over since they returned to the NFL), but this season seems markedly worse.

I definitely agree they should be full time, but the whole reviewing everything is affecting how the game is called in real time. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I definitely agree they should be full time, but the whole reviewing everything is affecting how the game is called in real time. 

I think there's a place for replay (anyone who remembers how awful it was when nothing was ever reviewed should agree), but the officials have let replay take the place of good officiating.  They figure it doesn't matter if they mess up the call, because the coach can always throw the red beanbag.  And their attitude on the new PI challenge rule is a clear FU to the teams and the league.  Question our flag-throwing skills?  We'll eat your challenges and your timeouts.

• Love 4

According to Ian Rapoport and various sources on Twitter Jalen Ramsey has been traded to the Rams. Jalen who has been expressing that he was unhappy in Jacksonville was traded for two first rounders including one in 2021, and a fourth rounder also in 2021. Marcus Peters was also traded from the Rams a bit earlier this evening to the Ravens. The Ravens traded LB Kenny Young to the Rams and an undisclosed 2020 draft pick.

Edited by Jx223
36 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

According to Ian Rapoport and various sources on Twitter Jalen Ramsey has been traded to the Rams. Jalen who has been expressing that he was unhappy in Jacksonville was traded for two first rounders including one in 2021, and a fourth rounder also in 2021. Marcus Peters was also traded from the Rams a bit earlier this evening to the Ravens. The Ravens traded LB Kenny Young to the Rams and an undisclosed 2020 draft pick.

Kinda figured this was the other shoe when Peters got traded. This doesn't help their offense, though.

Because of trades, the Rams will not make a single first round pick from 2017 to 2021.

That, and the contracts to Donald, Gurley and presumably Ramsey is about as "win now" as you can get. And they have to figure out a way to pay Goff.

Edited by xaxat
55 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Because of trades, the Rams will not make a single first round pick from 2017 to 2021.

That, and the contracts to Donald, Gurley and presumably Ramsey is about as "win now" as you can get. And they have to figure out a way to pay Goff.

I was thinking that it’s too bad The Rams could trade Goff who seems to have regressed for a “win now” Qb on a bad team. But then I realized that there was such a QB. They wouldn’t even have to move. 

Trade Goff plus for Rivers. Probably doesn’t work due to cap issues, but fun to think about. 

On 10/14/2019 at 10:24 PM, twoods said:

Fuck the Packers. They continue to win games on the benefit of bullshit calls throughout the years. 

As a Packers fan, this made me laugh.  After all, we're the fan base that still brings up the Fail Mary as well as the Jerry Rice fumble that the officials missed that cost the Packers a playoff win.  And the playoff game against the Cardinals in 2009  when there were multiple missed calls, the most egregious being the play in OT when the Cardinals hit Rodgers in the face/head, causing him to fumble which was returned for the game winning score. During 2008 and 2009 "why is it OK to hit Aaron Rodgers in the head?" was a regular topic on sports radio in Wisconsin after multiple times when that happened without a flag. 

Every team has stories about games in which terrible calls went against them and every team has benefited from terrible calls against their opponents.  The Lions should be more concerned about their failure to take advantage of a Packers team that made a bunch of big mistakes on Monday night.  After all, Green Bay had a fumble, a muffed punt, and an interception, and all that Detroit managed to get from that was 9 points.

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Way to call a sneak for your QB whose ankle is wonky. I have no skin in the game, but come on.

Exactly.  Show some sense with your MVP QB.  Is that 1 yard - in the first half of a week 7 game - worth potentially going from an AFC favorite to just another team?  Think of how the QB sneak has pretty much been eliminated from the Packers playbook since Aaron Rodgers' collarbones started snapping like a 90 year old's hip.  It's just not worth the risk.

• Love 2

It looks like he dislocated his patella- poor guy. Hope he didn’t substantially tear any ligaments so his recovery time is shorter. Maybe he can be back by playoffs, but what a big blow to the Chiefs.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

The Chargers would have been better off if they had stayed in San Diego.   I would still be a fan if they had. 

I'm not a Chargers fan, but it's stuck in my head that they play in San Diego.  I always forget they're in LA...with zero fan base.  Reminds me of Philip Roth's The Great American Novel, where a desperate baseball team is sold out by their owner into playing their entire season on the road.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I'm not a Chargers fan, but it's stuck in my head that they play in San Diego.  I always forget they're in LA...with zero fan base. 

I live in Los Angeles, as do my parents, and when I was over at their house while the Chargers game was on, each of them at some point looked at the screen and asked me, "Who's LAC"?  Which is the same thing that happened last year.  It doesn't stick in their heads that the Chargers are here now.  Rams, yes, but not the Chargers. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Rams, yes, but not the Chargers.

Rams, yes, because they were there for years before they decamped for St. Louis, only to come back again.  Maybe the Chargers should have done a full Baltimore Ravens and changed their entire name, uniforms, etc.  But it still wouldn't get them any fans in LA.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I live in Los Angeles, as do my parents, and when I was over at their house while the Chargers game was on, each of them at some point looked at the screen and asked me, "Who's LAC"?  Which is the same thing that happened last year.  It doesn't stick in their heads that the Chargers are here now.  Rams, yes, but not the Chargers. 

Every time I see LAC, I wonder why the Clippers are playing against a football team. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Apparently even the stadium folks forget it's the Chargers home stadium in LA and they played Renegade* when the Steelers were playing the Chargers.    Chargers management was not happy.

Here's an idea, PLAN your move next time instead of literally bailing overnight.   Even the Colts decamping to Indiana was planned.   It just happened faster than they wanted because the state of MD was threatening eminent domain over the team.

There are also rumblings that the Rams don't want to share a stadium with them now because the expenses sharing is not working out.   The cheap ass Spanos are not ponying up.

*full disclosure, I love Renegade because it has sentimental meaning for my husband and I and I want to hear it played often.   So I was good with the stadium playing it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Who will be able to beat Brady? 😭

The one who has reliably done it has been benched in favor of a rookie.

The NFC East is the only division to beat Brady in the Super Bowl.   Eli did it twice with the Giants, and then Nick Foles did it with the Eagles.    So pray an NFC East makes it to the Super Bowl.   Might I suggest the Cowboys????

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The one who has reliably done it has been benched in favor of a rookie.

The NFC East is the only division to beat Brady in the Super Bowl.   Eli did it twice with the Giants, and then Nick Foles did it with the Eagles.    So pray an NFC East makes it to the Super Bowl.   Might I suggest the Cowboys????

I really hope that it doesn't get to that point. It will be stomach-turning at its finest. ESPN, Joe Buck, & Skip Bayless will be thrilled about that.

Personally, I can't stand either the Patriots or (especially) Cowboys. I will rather be Team Meteor over both of those teams. Both of them will be shoving that Super Bowl win in our faces constantly. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Might I suggest the Cowboys????

No you may not. 😋

2 hours ago, Magog said:

Personally, I can't stand either the Patriots or (especially) Cowboys. I will rather be Team Meteor over both of those teams. Both of them will be shoving that Super Bowl win in our faces constantly. 

Seriously😂. Jerry Jones is already insufferable enough and the Cowboys haven't won since I was in high school.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Might I suggest the Cowboys????

That would create the first Super Bowl in my lifetime that I would not watch.  Not even one minute.  I'd just root for the meteor from afar.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

The Packers continue to roll behind another great game by Aaron Rogers (with his perfect passer rating and 5TDs, including his 350 TD Pass.) They are looking really good as a team right now. The Vikings also had another good performance. And the Colts had a good win against the Texans and are now in first place in the AFC South. I think that Jacoby Brissett has been doing a nice job so far this year of keeping them competitive. He had another nice game today for them.

And teams that have been struggling continue to struggle with rough games for the Falcons and Bengals. Rough outings for them and now Matt Ryan is hurt. Miami also lost again and are still winless along with the Bengals. 

And that 49ers/Redskins game was a really, muddy looking sluggish game. No TD's were thrown by either team, but the 49ers were able to get out of there with a win and still remain undefeated. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Useful 1

Jacoby Brissett has been impressive, not making many dumb mistakes and keeping the Colts competitive. He has been surprising this year, especially after he was subpar in 2017. Good for him.

Bills are 5-1. I’m still waiting for their typical second hand nosedive, but I’m happy so far.

Is anyone more of a douchebag than Kirk Cousins?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Hell to the no.  I'd sooner give Belichick and Brady the Lombardi Trophy every year until they die than let Dall-ass near it again.

[Rips off human mask to reveal satanic visage]IT’S A DEAL!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Sure. He's not even Top 25 in the NFL if you count owners and coaches. If you want to talk all of sports we're talking 100s who easily surpass him. And if you were to consider other fields well let's just say if he was still with his previous team he wouldn't even be in the same order of magnitude as others in the metro area...

• Love 4
2 hours ago, twoods said:

While there might be bigger douchebags, I'm happy that he's gone from DC.  I could never put my finger on it but I never liked him. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not sure that Washington is any better without him.   Cousins is vastly overpaid, and I don't blame Washington for not keeping him long term, but even when he was on that team, I don't think he was their primary problem.

I'm not saying he was their primary problem; what I am saying is that there was something about him that I didn't like and I'm just glad he's gone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Another good win for the Saints against the Bears. (And I thought that FB option play they did with Taysom Hill was cool.) They did a great job of shutting down the Bears for most of the game. (In most of the 3rd quarter the Bears only had like 2 yards of offense). The Saints are another team that continues to roll and it's very impressive especially considering they have been without Drew Brees. Sean Payton has been doing a great job with them and getting them to find various ways to win.

Some of the analysts said that if they could just go 500 without Drew they would be fine, but they have been undefeated since his injury. And have now are in a really good position with games against the Cardinals, Falcons and Bucs. They also have a bye the week after next. They could realistically win all of those games and be like 9-1. Great spot for them to be in as we are entering the second half of this season. 

Lamar Jackson and the Ravens also had a good performance against the Seahawks today. They are also in a good position going into their bye week at 5-2. Their next game will be against the Patriots which I think could be an interesting match up. 

• Love 2

I am glad to see the Cowboys get the win tonight. That was a dominant game for them all the way around. Their defense played well and did a really nice job of getting turnovers and helping them jump out with a lead early. And the offense was also clicking and looking better than it has in the previous three games. Good divisional win for them to be in 1st place in the NFC East.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Always enjoy a good GG clip.

After a good season, the Chargers are looking like a dumpster fire. I’m guessing Melvin Gordon’s stock plummeted after his goal line fumble, and I didn’t watch the game but both of the prior TDS were called back on replays? Only the Chargers (and maybe the Browns) can continue to screw up in the most epic way possible. I feel bad for their fans.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

As for Cousins, he does enough to get the huge contract and then he plays like the girl with the curl.   When he is good he is very very good. 

The teams have always been willing to throw obscene amounts of money at players who are really only capable of random moments.  Look at the trajectory of Matt Flynn, who converted a single game, a garbage game at that, into massive dollars and virtually no meaningful performance thereafter.  

• Love 2
On 10/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, Popples said:

Every time I see LAC, I wonder why the Clippers are playing against a football team. 

I think of LaCrosse, Wisconsin. I think it's their airport code.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I think of LaCrosse, Wisconsin. I think it's their airport code.

It's actually the airport code for Layang-Layang China.  La Crosse is LSE (and I only did this because I hang out with a bunch of peeps who fly often and are obsessed with airport codes...) 

• Useful 4

How do you keep the 49ers to just 9 points, but not be able to score any points yourself?   Any other team who held them to 9 points would have beaten them.  Not the Redskins though. 😒

• Love 1

How do you keep the 49ers to just 9 points, but not be able to score any points yourself?

You play in a quagmire.

There should be more NFL games being play in the mud. Its just as fun as playing in the snow.

Besides, that quagmire would of been more fun to watch & enjoy than this 3 hour suckfest that tonight's Patriots-Jets game is going to be. 3 hours of ESPN slurping all over Tom Brady & the Patriots while the Patriots give the Jets an ass whopping. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

How do you keep the 49ers to just 9 points, but not be able to score any points yourself?   Any other team who held them to 9 points would have beaten them.  Not the Redskins though. 😒

Funny you say that. It reminds me of this last Super Bowl. I didn’t find it boring—I was amazed that the Rams defense essentially shut Brady down for 3 quarters. Yet the offense couldn’t capitalize on that one bit. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3

Besides the fact that I have a NY Giants tattoo, three NY Giants flags outside our house and own approximately 9.26 million pieces of NY Giants merchandise, if the Jets could have taken out the Cowboys and Patriots in consecutive weeks I would have seriously considered changing allegiances.

Then the game started.

• LOL 11

I was hoping this game would have been more competitive, but that was a really ugly performance by the Jets. I think that was the worst MNF performance so far this year. (even worse than the Browns performance against the 49ers from a couple of weeks ago.)

And Bill Belichick was smiling quite a bit at the end of this game. He usually doesn't smile that much, even though the Patriots usually play well. 

Edited by Jx223

Is anyone going to beat this team? They haven’t even been the best team in the league the past few years yet manage to win the whole thing based on grittiness, good players and very good coaching. Damn it, I hate them.

• Love 5

It looks like the Patriots have gotten even more good fortunate, because according to Ian Rapoport on Twitter, they have traded a second round pick to the Falcons for Mohamed Sanu. I had read that the Falcons may be looking to upload players before the trade deadline. I wonder if they may end up trading anyone else before then. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

The Patriots are dominant because they adapt more quickly to any given situation than the rest of the teams in the league.  

I also think the coaching staff doesn't over think like most coaches do. It's not really that complex of a game as most make it out to be.

• Love 1