Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Pittsburgh area officials were looking at criminal charges based on the information she provided in her civil suit in Florida about actions that allegedly occurred in the state.

I think he statute of limitations applies to potential criminal charges in PA, but the civil suit is still active.

• Useful 4

That was a nice win tonight for the Jaguars. Gardner Minshew made some very impressive throws and their defense (Calais Campbell in particular) played great. (Including recording nine sacks against Marcus Mariota). Good 1st win/win against a divisional opponent for them. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, xaxat said:

Pittsburgh area officials were looking at criminal charges based on the information she provided in her civil suit in Florida about actions that allegedly occurred in the state.

I think he statute of limitations applies to potential criminal charges in PA, but the civil suit is still active.

that makes more sense   Although I think the criminal charges are related to another incident.   Because the civil suit says everything took place in Florida.   PA would have no jurisdiction to investigate.   But I believe there is another accuser who has not filed anything yet.

53 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Curious to see if this goes anywhere

Personally, I don’t see a big difference between a ref saying, “Stay off the quarterback” vs “Stay off Tom.”

A ref finally saying out loud what we've known they believe for years? - Tom Brady is not to be hit like other QBs.

It won't go anywhere, just like the Patriots conniving with Antonio Brown won't go anywhere. At least that one looks set to blow up in their faces.

• Love 3

In which case the comment is “watch it” or “be careful” or “that was borderline” or “got a little close to the head; I will call it next time” or anything other than what the ref apparently said.

• Love 3

Officials call players by their names all the time across all sports. There's numerous instances I can recall when they used to do the 'miked up' segments for Monday night football where refs called players and coaches by their names. It's also a one-sided account by a player whose team was getting blown out by a division rival. But I get that it's the Pats and what the narrative looks like. 

• Love 2

The Thursday night football crapfest continues. 

What on earth on these coaches thinking with these decisions?

You skip the chance for a FG in the 3rd quarter down 14-0, 4th and goal from the 6.  Jags next possession, FG, up by 3 possessions. 

THEN the Jags return the favor, up 20-7 and you don't kick the FG to go up by 16.  Yes technically that is two possessions, but big difference between two TDs and extra points to win to high vs. two FG AND two 2-point conversions just to tie. 

THEN, still down by 13 and time left, the Titans basically say it doesn't matter anyway, first play inside their own 10 yard line, needing two TDs to win and with about two minutes or 3 minutes to play, I forget, doesn't matter, they CALL A RUNNING PLAY followed up by a waste of 20 seconds on the clock before getting the next play run, then throw a sideline pass, but the WR does not get out of bounds. 

Jesus Christ.......this is situation football 101.  grade school coaches can figure this stuff out.  Freakin' morons. 

Also Marriota missed a player WIDE OPEN on the end zone for a score.  And he needs to get rid of the ball.  Those sacks, same thing on Sunday vs. the Colts, many of them are on him, not the OL.  THROW THE BALL.  He has had several years, not their answer at QB. 

Antonio Brown, what can you say.......I don't know for sure if he is guilty or not of what he is accused, but based on his text messages and behavior the past year, I am not really willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on it.  Does the man know English.  Not joking, he communicates on about a 3rd grade level in those texts.  Its all at once scary, baffling and sad to know he actually went to college.  I know texting you don't use full sentences and their are abbreviations and slang, but even  beyond that, I literally can't understand what he is trying to say in those texts.  All you get is a general sense from them of him being stupid, entitled, vindictive and childish.  And when I say stupid I don't mean in the derogatory slang sense, I mean in the literal dictionary definition of him having a low IQ, like 80 or below. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Officials call players by their names all the time across all sports. There's numerous instances I can recall when they used to do the 'miked up' segments for Monday night football where refs called players and coaches by their names. It's also a one-sided account by a player whose team was getting blown out by a division rival. But I get that it's the Pats and what the narrative looks like. 

All the top QBs get more calls with late hits than other QBs.  Not just Brady.  We know it happens, we have seen it.  Its not just calling him by name.  Its a confirmation of the reality we all know exists.

I saw multiple hits over the weekend on Jacoby Brissett and even one on Mariotta last night where if that is not just Brady but Rodgers or Brees, there is no doubt a flag is getting thrown

Great players get the benefit of the doubt on calls.  And its not just the NFL.  NBA you see it even worse 

• Love 4

Antonio Brown is a textbook narcissist. They can't handle anything that doesn't support their inflated egos and sense of self-importance. Does that mean I think he's guilty? Who knows until both sides of the story are heard, but him lashing out like a toddler is in character for someone with the disorder.

Best part of Thursday Night Football was Minshew's Dad in the stands. Dude looks like the WWE version of Jon Gruden.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Antonio Brown is a textbook narcissist. They can't handle anything that doesn't support their inflated egos and sense of self-importance. Does that mean I think he's guilty? Who knows until both sides of the story are heard, but him lashing out like a toddler is in character for someone with the disorder.

Best part of Thursday Night Football was Minshew's Dad in the stands. Dude looks like the WWE version of Jon Gruden.

It's strange, because for his first few years in the league he had the reputation of being a humble, hardworking guy. Mike Wallace was the diva receiver in Pittsburgh. But there's just something in the water there, I guess... or something in the repetitive head trauma.

• Love 5

I see that Belichick walked out of his press conference today. I wonder how close he is to saying "I'm tired of his shit." and cutting Antonio Brown.

Because the questions aren't going to stop coming, he can't "We're on to Cincinnati" his way past this and AB ain't gonna stop AB'in.

• Love 8

3 teams in 6 months.    That is some high level divaing.   Oh and the Raiders owed him nothing since his signing bonus was based on being in training camp.    The Pats had something about  not paying his signing bonus too.   So pretty much his diva attitude has gotten him WHAT EXACTLY?    Leaving aside all the allegations in the lawsuit and the Sports Illustrated article, this guy brings what to a team that someone else with less drama can't do?

As someone noted, the NFL must love how AB is getting all the attention in the 100 anniversary year.   Well maybe now we can focus on the last 100 years and all that made the game great.   

• Love 4

Antonio has made so many poor decisions (regardless of whether the allegations are true). The Patriots hung in there as long as they can but it looks like the drama surrounding him and the questions became too much. Even Bill Belichick seemed uncomfortable with the latest questions surrounding Antonio. (And Bill usually brush things off).

• Love 2

I think if Brown had kept his mouth shut, stayed off social media and let his lawyers handle the statements, he would've been fine. However with the way he's lashed out recently, he's too much of a loose canon. The Pats are loaded with talent. They've proven the wheels keep spinning no matter what. I'm just curious to see if another NFL team will sign him or whether this is it? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I think if Brown had kept his mouth shut, stayed off social media and let his lawyers handle the statements, he would've been fine. However with the way he's lashed out recently, he's too much of a loose canon. The Pats are loaded with talent. They've proven the wheels keep spinning no matter what. I'm just curious to see if another NFL team will sign him or whether this is it? 

According to ESPN, it wasn’t the SI article that was the kiss of death, but rather the texts.  Those he did while a Patriot, while the other issues were before he signed with the team.

So I guess multiple allegations of sexual misconduct is okay as long as it doesn’t happen under Bellicheck’s watch?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Popples said:

If the Cowboys weren't 2-0, I'd think Crazy Jerry gives him a shot, so now I'm leaning towards the XFL.

There's always Little Danny Snyder... 

Edited by ebk57
  • LOL 5
54 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Just remembered that The Steelers refused to trade Brown to the Pats for a first round pick. Boy if they’d done that they’d be laughing now. 

I’m sure they’re still laughing.

• Love 5

The Helmet Catch as the third best play of all time is criminal, but I knew without watching any of the list that The Immaculate Reception was going to be number one.

Wasn’t there a kerfuffle about the catch that it wasn’t actually a catch or somesuch?  Or perhaps I am thinking of something else.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Helmet Catch as the third best play of all time is criminal, but I knew without watching any of the list that The Immaculate Reception was going to be number one.

Wasn’t there a kerfuffle about the catch that it wasn’t actually a catch or somesuch?  Or perhaps I am thinking of something else.

Yes, it was claimed that the ball hit the ground off the ricochet, but the camera angles are inconclusive.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't.  They should have known that things could turn sour.   That is on them. 

I agree. At this point it’s “Buyer Beware”. If they didn’t insert protection clauses beforehand it’s on them. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I agree. At this point it’s “Buyer Beware”. If they didn’t insert protection clauses beforehand it’s on them. 

I agree, but in good news for the Pats, most of the Boston-area media is reporting that the Patriots included such language in the contract. At least right now it seems likely they will not have to pay Brown for anything past the game check.

it's amazing to think about how much money Brown has cost himself simply by being an enormous asshole.

• Love 3

Yes, some of the ESPN guys said that there were a lot of stipulations in AB's contract with the Patriots.  They didn't specify, but in general it was basically "if we hear about one more fuckup, you're outta here."

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Yes, some of the ESPN guys said that there were a lot of stipulations in AB's contract with the Patriots.  They didn't specify, but in general it was basically "if we hear about one more fuckup, you're outta here."

*Proceeds to fuck up 8,132 times*

• LOL 15
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

it's amazing to think about how much money Brown has cost himself simply by being an enormous asshole.

Tens of millions of dollars.

He had 30 million dollars guaranteed for his first year from the Raiders. Gone.

He had about ten million in guaranteed money from the Pats. Gone. 

He was literally the face on the NFL last year for the Madden 2019 game and he had a national ad campaign for Pizza Hut. Gone.

Nike, gone. His helmet endorsement that Rosenhaus bragged about, gone.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Fukui San said:

So you're saying this wasn't a devious plan to fake craziness to get to sign with the Pats?

There might have been.   Unfortunately all the crazy stuff with the Raiders made all the other stuff come out of the woodwork.   Then his reaction to that was not ... calm shall we say.   It was really the threats against the second accuser that pushed him too far over the line with the Pats.   If he had just reacted with craziness he might have just been told to knock it off.   But when he called on his followers to investigate HER, that was too much.     

• Love 6
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

There might have been.   Unfortunately all the crazy stuff with the Raiders made all the other stuff come out of the woodwork.   Then his reaction to that was not ... calm shall we say.   It was really the threats against the second accuser that pushed him too far over the line with the Pats.   If he had just reacted with craziness he might have just been told to knock it off.   But when he called on his followers to investigate HER, that was too much.     

I think it was sending pictures of her children, that’s the most disturbing thing in those texts (other than the lack of English & grammar).

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I think it was sending pictures of her children, that’s the most disturbing thing in those texts (other than the lack of English & grammar).

On twitter he's flat out condoning violent threats against reporters now. Looks like he is going to spend the day burning bridges.

I think he's going to have a hard time transitioning to being unemployed.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

He took shots on Twitter this morning against Rothelsberger and Kraft.  While I don’t condone Kraft’s actions, he’s not the only one who has ever been to see a prostitute (I can’t say if he knew those girls were sexual slaves), and it’s not the same as sexual assault.

But Adam Schecter today said that now, it doesn’t matter if the arbitrator finds for AB, Kraft will never sign that check.

He’s pissed because now there’s been some push back due to his behavior, but he keeps shooting himself in the foot (or mouth).

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3

He’s pissed because now there’s been some push back due to his behavior, but he keeps shooting himself in the foot (or mouth).

Yup. Definition of a spoiled brat. Only much larger and more serious/dangerous than your average three-year-old, tempre-tantrum-throwing brat.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4

I don't want to excuse his behavior and am definitely not making a diagnosis, but according to Boston University's CTE Center,

The symptoms of CTE include memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, anxiety, suicidality, parkinsonism, and, eventually, progressive dementia. These symptoms often begin years or even decades after the last brain trauma or end of active athletic involvement.

I've been a big critic of AB, but I suspect he really needs to get some help.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

Im guessing a part of it is CTE, but he’s also an arrogant asshole who can’t keep his mouth shut.  I hope he’s blackballed from the NFL and never plays again. Who wants to give this guy a signing bonus if he may implode in a week or so? He threw away 30 million dollars with the Raiders. Tons of college players would love to have the talent and opportunity this guy had, yet he blames everyone else except himself for his poor choices.

• Love 2