Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Because I have the FOX Sports Go app and the Giants are tagged as my favorite football team, I get notifications all game (can’t watch football, it’s game five of the ALDS) and fuck’s sake, Daniel.  STOP THROWING INTERCEPTIONS.

17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Because I have the FOX Sports Go app and the Giants are tagged as my favorite football team, I get notifications all game (can’t watch football, it’s game five of the ALDS) and fuck’s sake, Daniel.  STOP THROWING INTERCEPTIONS.

Well Giants just tied the game on an interception.  Go Giants!

Different sport, but every time a defensive player attempts to tackle by essentially waving an arm out and watching the receiver/runner blow right by him or a receiver extends his arms and that's about all in reaching for a pass, I quote Major League and grumble, "Don't give me this olé bullshit."  I am getting really, really tired of yelling that at the Giants.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

and fuck’s sake, Daniel.  STOP THROWING INTERCEPTIONS.

Unsurprisingly, between the lack of Shepard/Engram/Barkley and the very high quality of the New England DBs, there were not a lot of open targets for him last night.  

Didn't stop him from trying. 

I'm looking forward to him getting those guys back on the field and seeing how he develops the rest of the season.  Also not terrible last night was the the Giants defense started to look like they could make a play.

I am not a Gronk fan in any way so I’ve never really paid much attention to him unless I had to, so it was pretty jarring to see him on the set with Strahan, Bradshaw and Gonzalez and Gronk looked like he was standing on a box with how he towered over guys who I always thought were pretty big.

I've had an irrational and completely mortifying crush on Gronk for years.  The ESPN photo shoot of him naked playing with kittens really didn't help matters.  I mean, what the hell would we even talk about?  It could only ever be physical between us.  Uuuuuugh.

giphy.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Ok so last week because Oakland was one of the teams in London the game started at one.  Today because they are east coast teams it started at 9:30.

But what if you are a Carolina or Tampa Bay fan living in California?  Fuck off?  Cuz someone is getting up at 6:30 to watch this game and they would have last week too.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Ok so last week because Oakland was one of the teams in London the game started at one.  Today because they are east coast teams it started at 9:30.

Or you're paying through the nose for NFL Sunday Ticket and it's blacked out because it's being carried on NFLN.  (I have the streaming Sunday Ticket and my cable doesn't include NFLN.)  Such bullshit that they carry every out of market game.

• Useful 1

They must be mad at me because the streaming NFL ticket is not working today.  There's nothing wrong with my internet connection.  Oddly, as I click up and down the dial, when they go to commercial, that comes through just fine.

ETA:  And DirecTV has disabled their chat line and their email support.  

Edited by meowmommy
24 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Of course they have. I'm convinced DirecTv is the creation of Satan, put on this Earth to drive subscribers batty with their horrid customer service and connectivity issues. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

When Jameis Winston entered the draft, I remember analysts gushing about him as a "can't miss" "no brainer". While I'm not expert, I kept thinking "but he likes to throw the ball to the other team a lot."

I see he still likes to do that.

• LOL 3

Holy crap! What is happening in Minnesota? I've been cheering for the Vikings so I'm happy, but this game is going nuts! 2 touchdown passes to Diggs, 1 for 62 yards and the other for 51 yards. 

And Detroit has to win tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Haleth said:

My SIL is good friends with a former Patriot and some time ago had an opportunity to party with the players after a game.  He said Gronk is exactly who you think he is.

Big ego?

I think there were definitely some interesting results today in this early lineup of games.

I thought that the most impressive win today was the Vikings. They looked really good including Kirk Cousins and Stefan Diggs. Stefan looked like he was having fun out of there after speculation from a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to be traded. That was a nice dominant performance by them.

The Texans also got a nice win against the Chiefs. I think that most analysts and a lot of people in general thought the Chiefs would win this game, but the Texans pulled it out, letting them have sole possession of first place in the AFC South. I have always been impressed with DeShaun Watson. He doesn't get as much praise as he did before his injury but he is still a very good young QB and deserves a lot of praise.

That was an unfortunate loss by the Browns. Bad decision by Freddie Kitchens to challenge that play on what would have been a TD by Nick Chubb. He continues to make some questionable decisions as a HC. The turnovers from the Browns hurt as well. OTOH another good win for the Seahawks bringing them to 5-1 for the season. 

Also, the Panthers continue to roll on both sides of the ball. Kyle Allen and the offense continue to do a nice job as well as the defense who played very well today. They are in a good place now winning their last four games and going into their bye week. 

And I feel bad for Josh Rosen. He got yanked today in favor of Ryan Fitzpatrick in the game against the Redskins. (Even though he was making struggling I don't think they should have pulled him, they are tanking anyway.) He has been in very poor situations since he got drafted. Maybe one of these days things will work out for him and he'll get to be apart of a better situation. Right now he is apart of yet another organization where he isn't surrounded with what he needs to be successful.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Panthers played well today but their defense gave up a lot of points in the 2nd half. They had such a big lead and then lost it. Glad they won! 

I’ve been a Cam supporter for a long time (while my dad continued to give him shit). My husband surprised me with tickets to the Panthers/Titans game for my birthday so I’ll take my dad while he stays home with the kids. I only hope Allen is still playing QB! There’s no way they can bench him now, right? He’s proven himself to be a defat better QB than Cam has been as of late. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Well.  These last three bullshit penalties against the Jets show that Jerry’s check to the refs has cleared.

He needs to up his bribes.  Was that some kind of record for consecutive penalties?

Fuck Dall-ass.  

• LOL 2

My husband, who IS a Jets fan (inasmuch as on Sundays he’ll ask if the Jets played and/or won and then go on about his day), looked askance at me when I had six different heart attacks during one minute of game time and said “why are you cheering for the Jets?” and I said “duh, the Cowboys suck monkey balls” and then he went back to watching You Tube videos.

That said, I am still fine with Barkley.  But J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

That was a good first win for the Jets against the Cowboys. I don't think hardly anyone expected them to beat the Cowboys but they did. They look a lot better with Sam Darnold back as their QB.

This week overall has definitely been interesting and has been a bit topsy turvy. In addition to the Jets beating the Cowboys, Marcus Mariota was benched for Ryan Tannehill and Jared Goff didn't play very well for the Rams as they fell to the 49ers who continue to be undefeated. There are definitely some teams that people predicted to do well, that are kind of in shaky places right now. ( like Cowboys, Rams, Browns) I am interested in seeing how they might bounce back. Some of them I do think will end up being okay. 

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next week, when the Cowboys face the Eagles to see who gets first in the division. 

I wonder if the Marcus Mariota being benched will be just for this game, or if they might try and stick with Tannehill for the time being. 

Edited by Jx223
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

“why are you cheering for the Jets?” and I said “duh, the Cowboys suck monkey balls”

Well, of course.  No self-respecting Giants fan would ever want the Cowbungs to win anything, including kick-the-can and mumblety-peg.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

That said, I am still fine with Barkley.  But J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!

So I guess with the Eagles getting thumped and this game, that keeps the Barkley-less Giants only one game back at 2-4?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, twoods said:

Poor Matt Bryant missing that extra point at the end of the game to tie. Can’t believe they are 1-5.

Yeah, they really are struggling. Another rough loss against a Cardinal teams they could have beaten. They have never really been the same since they lost that SuperBowl, and have really fallen off since then. Very rough start of the season for them. 

Also, I saw an interesting tweet from Rich Eisen who said that the Cowboys, Rams and Chiefs are now 0-8 after all began the season undefeated at (3-0, 3-0, and 4-0). That is interesting especially as we inch closer to the second half of the season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

The Browns are not good enough to be able to beat their opponent and the refs.  Once again, the network stopped showing replays of the controversial (bad) calls against the Browns.  So incredibly frustrating.

• Love 1

The Holy Roller Rule is one of the dumbest things I have heard, and it should not have even applied, since the ball broke the plane before Jarvis fumbled it.  Then our lovely head coach decided to challenge while Chubb was scoring the TD and then ran the exact same play after losing the challenge he should have won.  The exact same play.  What a gift to the Seahawks, and the refs just kept wrapping it in pretty ribbons.  Sigh.

19 hours ago, BitterApple said:
19 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Of course they have. I'm convinced DirecTv is the creation of Satan, put on this Earth to drive subscribers batty with their horrid customer service and connectivity issues. 

I thought you're talking about Comcast & Spectrum.

13 hours ago, Jx223 said:
13 hours ago, twoods said:

Poor Matt Bryant missing that extra point at the end of the game to tie. Can’t believe they are 1-5.

Yeah, they really are struggling. Another rough loss against a Cardinal teams they could have beaten. They have never really been the same since they lost that SuperBowl, and have really fallen off since then. Very rough start of the season for them. 

I could feel sorry & terrible for Matt Bryant & the Falcons. But, being reminded of 28-3 made me think otherwise. That franchise can get bent forever. I hate the Atlanta Falcons as much as I hate the Dallas Cowboys (like some people hate Tom Brady & the Patriots).

Speaking of those Cowboys, HA HA HA!! It was great seeing them fall flat on their faces against the 0-4 Jets. That 3-0 start & all of that Super Bowl hype that came with it is now a distant memory.

• Love 1

There were some rough calls against the Lions. Especially towards the very end of this game., that helped the Packers get the win. But overall I did enjoy this game. I liked the pace of it. Both teams made some impressive plays and I liked the energy that they brought to this game.

Edited by Jx223

They weren't rough calls.   They were flat out made up calls.   There were no hands to the face.   The player had NEVER been called for hands to the face before.   Suddenly in a game that looked like the Packers might lose, he gets called twice at crucial moments?   His play didn't suddenly change for this game.   

Those calls clearly extended drives for the Packers.   Then that was the world's fastest review of a scoring play when the ball was clearly moving.    Any other team they would have spent 10 minutes examining it from every angle so they can call it back.   Nope, for the Packers, it was confirmed in the blink of an eye -- even though the pylon cam showed he was down before the ball crossed the plane.  Said cam the refs have access to if they so wish.    Result -- the Packers conveeenieeently only needed a FG to win.   

• Love 5

The NFL needs to pony up for full-time, highly trained refs.  They are being penny wise and pound foolish.  You can have the best players in the world, but if games keep getting decided by bad calls from unqualified (or at least under-trained) officials, people will lose interest.  It’s always bad (I mean the Browns have gotten screwed over since they returned to the NFL), but this season seems markedly worse.

• Love 5