Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

That was seriously ugly.  I have major issues with Baker Mayfield, but I appreciate how disgusted he was after the game, repeatedly calling Garrett's behavior inexcusable and quite direct about the fact he will - and should - be suspended, and they don't know for how long, and that hurts the team, when they're already shooting themselves in the foot all over the place.

It was obviously right to eject Pouncey as well, and whatever else comes to him, but I understand why he reacted like that.

I wouldn't let Garrett back on the field all season.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

That was seriously ugly.  I have major issues with Baker Mayfield, but I appreciate how disgusted he was after the game, repeatedly calling Garrett's behavior inexcusable and quite direct about the fact he will - and should - be suspended, and they don't know for how long, and that hurts the team, when they're already shooting themselves in the foot all over the place.

It was right to eject Pouncey as well, but I understand why he reacted like that.

I wouldn't let Garrett back on the field all season.

Agreed on all points (and Reggie Bush's). What was Myles Garrett thinking??? 

What in the world- the game was almost over. Even if Randolph tugged at your helmet you walk away. Hopefully he will get the help he needs with this anger since he won’t be playing for the rest of the season. The Browns should be celebrating their win, not dealing with the fallout for this shit. He’s a big part of the defense and what he did was selfish.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

Maurkice Pouncey was absolutely right to defend his teammate because what the fuck, but I have a feeling that he’s also going to get some games too not for the punch, but for the kicking.  And the Steelers will revolt.

I didn’t actually watch the game, just opened up Twitter and woo boy.

The attention and video is all Myles, but during the play the announcer keeps yelling, “The Steelers are kicking [cant understand name, but starts with a B] in the head!”  Any more information on that?

• Love 1

That was just a mess.    Rudolph was sick of getting sacked.   So he started on Garrett.   But Garrett should have just looked at him and said "Yeah, sucks to lose child."  And WALKED AWAY.   Instead he goes off on Rudolph.    It was swinging Rudolph's own helmet as someone was pushing him away that did him in.   At that point, the Steelers went in for the beat down.   Pouncey was wrong for kicking Garrett when he was down.   

Yeah the Browns held it together to win 2 games in a row.   but now they will be without Garrett for the rest of the season -- at least.   So what did the fight get them?

BTW, they play each other again in 16 days.   

The Steelers played horrible all day.   After the 2nd interception I was asking why the Steelers were throwing at all.   It was clear the Browns knew where the ball was going to go.   Oh and that hit on Dionte Johnson before the half?   Yeah if not for the fight, everyone would be talking about THAT hit by the Browns.   Blood coming out of his ear.   And the Browns player was tossed.   They had THREE players tossed in one game.   The Commish needs to do something (but he won't.   He's too busy trying to make his PR Stunt using Kaep work)

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

That was just a mess.    Rudolph was sick of getting sacked.   So he started on Garrett. 

He started in on Garrett because Garrett took him to the ground long after the pass was gone. 

23 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The Steelers played horrible all day. 

The offensive has been bad all season. The defense has covered for them, but Minkah Fitzpatrick can't return an interception for a touchdown every game. The real disappointment is the offensive line. Three Pro Bowlers and they are getting pushed around every game. Hurts the running game, hurts the pass game.

• Love 2

Baker Mayfield seemed genuinely stunned and sad after that spectacle. Can't believe Rudolph did not go into concussion protocol. He took the next snap! Bummer for both teams. 

During the game, I was wondering if the Steelers have any thoughts of replacing Rudolph. He was not looking good out there and they can't afford more losses.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Can't believe Rudolph did not go into concussion protocol. He took the next snap!

I kept thinking how he'd just come back from a serious concussion.  And that they should have just ended the game right then and there.

34 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

During the game, I was wondering if the Steelers have any thoughts of replacing Rudolph.

Well, there is somebody doing a workout on Saturday...

• Love 6

And Demarious Randall says thanks to his teammate because otherwise all the talk today would be of his cheap, bush league hit that got him ejected and probably facing a suspension too. 
Good thing the NFL has such an illustrious history of meting out player discipline in a thoughtful, measured, and consistent manner, eh?  Can’t wait to see how they screw up this situation. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

When the suspensions come out, Rudolph needs to be suspended as well, since it looked like he tried to rip off Garrett's helmet first.

I don't care about either team.  IMO, Rudolph isn't some innocent victim in all of this.  There is plenty of blame to go around, and a lot of players need to be suspended.

I think they should suspend Rudolph for one game. It looked like he started the fight. Getting his ass kicked doesn't absolve him for his part in this fiasco.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think they should suspend Rudolph for one game. It looked like he started the fight.

How? Rudolph throws a pass, Garrett holds on to him after it and takes him to the ground well after it is gone. (ETA, the NFL has some weird embedding rules. Replay starts at 1:25)

Rudolph is rightfully pissed and tries to push Garrett off him by the helmet, but then Garrett drags him off the turf by his facemask, rips off his helmet, hits him with it.  And after all of that, Ogunjobi comes in and blindsides him even though he is no longer part of the altercation.

As a Steelers fan, I back what Pouncey did, but agree that he earned a suspension for his actions. I don't see that with Rudolph. At all.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

First discipline is out:

BOTH teams fined $250,000.   I think that is low.   Also I think the Browns should have been fined more because it wasn't just the fight, there were a lot of dirty hits in the game.  

Ogunjobi - Suspended 1 game and a fine.

Pouncey - 3 games and a fine.    

I'm good with both of these.   Pretty proportionate to what they did and their history.

Myles Garrett -- Suspended indefinitely.   At least this season and the post season.   Must meet with Commish before reinstatement.   Good with this too.   Not his first infraction this year.   Has history.   And went WAAAAAY overboard regardless of what Rudolph did or did not do.

NFL also said more may be coming as they finish the review.   

• Love 8

Probably fines to guys who either left bench area or refused to disperse, thus potentially escalating the situation. Plus they have to address other incidents in the game such as 2 Steelers being injured by hits to the head. Do we assume this clinches the Cleveland coach’s firing?  Will they wait until the end of the season?

i didn’t watch the game other than about 20 minutes of the 3rd quarter.   Aikman sounded disgusted then by the quality of play; how did he and Joe Buck react to the melee at the end?

• Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Aikman sounded disgusted then by the quality of play; how did he and Joe Buck react to the melee at the end?

Troy described what he saw as "barbaric."  Joe wasn't quite as outraged as he was when Randy Moss shimmied on the goal post, but he was not pleased.  He said there should be some ejections, and Troy corrected him that there should be suspensions.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Calvada said:

how did he and Joe Buck react to the melee at the end?

Rather flabbergasted and disgusted, and Troy said it's not something people should even have to see ... as production gleefully re-ran it over and over and over and over.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I agree. I've watched it and read many opinions. I am in no way excusing Garrett and fully agree with his suspension. However, Rudolph played a part and should be suspended one game. You can see him tugging at Garret's helmet and he charged back in to fight. He's not blameless. 

• Love 9

The Browns’ lack of discipline has been an issue all season, culminating in last night’s debacle.  What burns me the most is that the Steelers get to parade around as victims after years of being the dirtiest team out there with little to no repercussions.  Randolph better get suspended.

And as I always say in matters like this:  if only Myles had hit a woman; then he’d be fine. ☹️

• Love 5

I feel sorry for the fans of both teams who are embarrassed and angry about the actions of the players that they loyally follow, that they allow their kids to watch, whose jerseys they buy.  I've been a lifelong Packers fan.  When I was a kid, watching the Packers at noon on Sunday was as routine as going to church that morning.  I have only vague memories of the glory years of the 60s, but through the playoff drought years in the 70s and 80s I watched and rooted for the Packers, keeping the faith that this game, this year would be better.  Until Charles Martin and his hit list on his towel.  Until the cheap shot which ended Jim McMahon's season.  I couldn't believe they fired Bart Starr, a person of decency and integrity, for the likes of Forrest Gregg, who permitted the team to become an embarrassment, who encouraged the thuggery, who said the team would welcome back Mossy Cade after he served his prison sentence for rape.  I took a break from the Packers from late 1986 through the 1987 season.  I came back when they hired Lindy Infante as the coach.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Great article. Thanks for posting it. I had the game on last night, but as the final seconds wore down I was only half paying attention. Then, the sound of the crowd and the voices of Buck/Aikman brought my full attention back to the game. I missed the helmet hit but saw the Pittsburgh player wailing on Garrett. 

I want to know exactly what Rudolph said to Garrett, because (endless) replays proved that he did instigate things. He shouldn't get off scot-free.

With this, the earlier ejection and the parting of ways with Antonio Callaway, I was reminded again that no one on this team really strikes me as likable. From the ownership to the GM to yet another rookie coach, they seem unable/unwilling to stop the guys on the field from making cheap shots and personal fouls. There is no veteran leadership among the players. The Browns don't have to have an incandescent personality like the Indians have with Frankie Lindor to win games, but they can be competitive without having to stoop to cheap shots and they've been doing it all season long.

Only the Cleveland Browns could finally win a nationally broadcast game - against the Steelers, no less - and STILL come away from the whole thing embarrassed. Only in Cleveland!!

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Troy described what he saw as "barbaric."  Joe wasn't quite as outraged as he was when Randy Moss shimmied on the goal post, but he was not pleased.  He said there should be some ejections, and Troy corrected him that there should be suspensions.

All so barbaric they made sure to show multiple replays, from several angles, highlighting the most egregious acts and commenting in the same faux outraged tones we heard when Chad Johnson dared to pretend to moon the crowd after scoring a TD.

Then all the NFL pundits get their increasingly outraged takes on the record, and we go from 'Myles Garrett needs to be suspended' to 'he should never play in the NFL again!' in the space of about fifteen minutes.

Anyway, in case anyone wants to see a game where a team wins twice without even playing, it's that one. Puts a dent in the Steelers' resurgence (which was only just afloat as it was) and guts any new confidence the Browns might have felt after winning the game. All of that is just great for the Ravens, who have to play both these teams again.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

All so barbaric they made sure to show multiple replays, from several angles, highlighting the most egregious acts and commenting in the same faux outraged tones we heard when Chad Johnson dared to pretend to moon the crowd after scoring a TD.

I agree.  I was a little surprised at the time that the director showed it over and over and over even as Joe and Troy decried what they were watching.  Interestingly, the incident wasn't visible in the original shot of the play.  They had to go back and pull up the angles from the other cameras.  Like I said, Joe wasn't quite as outraged as he was that time Randy Moss humped the goal post against Green Bay ("That is DISGUSTING!").  

The whole thing was beyond ridiculous in that Cleveland was about to win the game.  If anyone should have been total assholes with sour grapes, it was Pittsburgh.  Not that either team covered themselves in glory.

11 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

With this, the earlier ejection and the parting of ways with Antonio Calloway, I was reminded again that no one on this team really strikes me as likable. From the ownership to the GM to yet another rookie coach, they seem unable/unwilling to stop the guys on the field from making cheap shots and personal fouls.

It's an embarrassment.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

It's an embarrassment.

It sure is. I miss the days of Bernie Kosar, Earnest Byner, Clay Matthews, Hanford Dixon, Doug Dieken and so many others from the glory days of the last half of the 1980s. Not only were they focused and competitive on a consistent basis, they played hard and CLEAN. You didn't hear about arrests, drugs, tardiness, etc. (Of course, the internet, social media and TMZ weren't around then.) The Cleveland/Pittsburgh feud was due to both geographic location and that the teams brought out the best in each other. They both stepped up their game and remained professional.

Since 1999, that hasn't been the case. We've had a few guys over the years who were both stand-up guys and delivered on the field on a consistent basis (Phil Dawson, Joe Thomas and Josh Cribbs come to mind), but they've been few and far between.

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 4

I’m still surprised that Mason Rudolph was not suspended for at least 1-2 games for kicking Garrett in the groin and then supposedly grabbing it. Guy instigated the whole thing and gets a measly fine?

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, twoods said:

I’m still surprised that Mason Rudolph was not suspended for at least 1-2 games for kicking Garrett in the groin and then supposedly grabbing it. Guy instigated the whole thing and gets a measly fine?

I've seen it written on ESPN and USA Today that Rudolph may have kicked Garrett in the groin when Rudolph was on the ground (after Rudolph had grabbed at Garrett's helmet and before Garrett yanked off Rudolph's helmet), but watching the footage on my monitor, it's too hard for me to make out -- I think it's more that he's pushing back at Garret as Garrett is trying to haul him up, but, like I said, my eyes can't make it out at that size.

Does it indeed look like a deliberate kick to you?

If the "only" thing Rudolph did is unsuccessfully pull at Garrett's helmet and lunge toward him after Garrett ripped Rudolph's helmet off, I've been figuring he'll get a fine but no suspension.  I don't like his attitude about the whole mess, at least from the quotes I've read, acting like his shit doesn't stink.  The escalation was unreasonable - to the extreme on Garrett's part - but he wasn't just innocently trying to get up from under a sack.  Unless there's some other explanation for his hands I'm missing, he was trying to wrestle Garrett's helmet off.

• Love 4

Garret at least had the sense to apologize. Pouncey says he has no regrets about it which is pretty disturbing. 

@Bastet yes! Rudolph's disgust and reaction irritates the crap out of me. Own your actions too. You played a part in the fight too. He deserves a fine and one game suspension.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2019 at 12:41 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Kap is kind of in a no-win here. If he refuses, he's going to get skewered. If he plays poorly, everyone will be like, 'well he had his time, move on.' 

If he's nothing short of stellar, you're going to get 'well, he doesn't fit our system.' 

I kind of wish he went to Canada and just tore it up and refused the NFL's calls. 

He could've...but then who would have milked the "poor me" angle?

I was with Kaepernick until he said he didn't vote in the 2016 election. He makes a big noise about taking a stand and then when it's time to actually DO something he sits out? Fuck him. 

Husband reminded me that Myles was recently sucker-punched by a fake fan who asked to take a photo with him, and he didn't react.  Just called the police.  Myles keeps apologizing for losing his cool without explaining why he did so; Mason Randolph keeps pretending he was just out there singing, "Kumbaya" when Myles clocked him.  I think Mason said something.  I hope someone else heard it and tells TPTB what it was because Myles doesn't just lose control over nothing.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Husband reminded me that Myles was recently sucker-punched by a fake fan who asked to take a photo with him, and he didn't react.  Just called the police.  Myles keeps apologizing for losing his cool without explaining why he did so; Mason Randolph keeps pretending he was just out there singing, "Kumbaya" when Myles clocked him.  I think Mason said something.  I hope someone else heard it and tells TPTB what it was because Myles doesn't just lose control over nothing.

He must have. I'd probably lose it if someone kicked me in the balls.

20 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

When my local evening news covered this story (I'm neither in Pittsburg, nor Cleveland), they discussed whether Garret should face criminal charges. At one point, a live online poll was in the high 80s% that he should.

That's because the coverage after the incident made it sound like it was the worst thing any football player had ever done ever.  I don't know if they get that upset when a player is arrested for domestic violence.  They express disappointment, yes, but not this level of outrage.

It's no wonder viewers get carried away in the emotion of it all. But as I heard a comedian on a radio show say, he got in trouble for doing "football" when he shouldn't have been doing "football" and that Garrett was guilty of not knowing the difference between a consensual concussion and a non-consensual concussion.  In other words, between the whistles, this is a pretty violent sport.

He and others were absolutely wrong for what they did but criminal charges? Nah.  In fact, TV is probably upset he won't be around for the rematch.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5
On 11/15/2019 at 6:43 PM, catlover79 said:

It sure is. I miss the days of Bernie Kosar, Earnest Byner, Clay Matthews, Hanford Dixon, Doug Dieken and so many others from the glory days of the last half of the 1980s. Not only were they focused and competitive on a consistent basis, they played hard and CLEAN. You didn't hear about arrests, drugs, tardiness, etc. (Of course, the internet, social media and TMZ weren't around then.) The Cleveland/Pittsburgh feud was due to both geographic location and that the teams brought out the best in each other. They both stepped up their game and remained professional.

Since 1999, that hasn't been the case. We've had a few guys over the years who were both stand-up guys and delivered on the field on a consistent basis (Phil Dawson, Joe Thomas and Josh Cribbs come to mind), but they've been few and far between.

I miss those days too.

I wonder how the Detroit Lions are going to mess things up against the Dallas Cowboys today like they usually do? I have no faith that the Lions will beat those scummy Cowboys today.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

I also miss those days.  If for no other reason than that I would be a heck of a lot younger, and the Chargers would still be in San Diego.

Yes, and the Browns never would have left in the first place.

• Love 3

Lamar Jackson had another terrific performance today as the Ravens dominated the Texans. He continues to be impressive and grow as a QB. He's gotten a lot better as a passer in addition to being a great runner. I could see the Ravens going far this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a deep playoff run. 

Dak also had another nice game and I thought it was amusing how Zeke did Dak's pregame routine as his TD celebration. 

The Vikings also had a nice comeback against the Broncos after being down by a large margin early on, and I am disappointed that the Panthers lost to the Falcons. 

• Love 3

Oh my gosh, my heart was thumping so hard when the Vikings were down by 20 points at the end of the first half and then at the end of the game. We played so crappy the first half we would have deserved to lose, but Cousins and Diggs pulled it off in the second half, plus Dalvin Cook and some others. Even Tyler Conklin with his first two receptions of the season! (I have a picture of Tyler Conklin and me.) The defense finally stepped up at the end of the game and kept Denver from scoring on the last drive. I felt a little sorry for them - they looked so discourage after the end of the game when they actually played well. Here's hoping Denver beats any other NFC North teams remaining for them to play or any other team, for that matter. They already played Green Bay, rats.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

t's no wonder viewers get carried away in the emotion of it all. But as I heard a comedian on a radio show say, he got in trouble for doing "football" when he shouldn't have been doing "football" and that Garrett was guilty of not knowing the difference between a consensual concussion and a non-consensual concussion.  In other words, between the whistles, this is a pretty violent sport.

I always laugh when they call a penalty for "unnecessary roughness". It's football, it's all about unnecessary roughness...

• Love 3

Fuck Dallas and fuck Dak’s hips especially.  You beat the Lions without Stafford.  Woofuckinghoo.

19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But as I heard a comedian on a radio show 

A comedian?!?  How you disparage Dan LeBatard my friend!

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

Dak also had another nice game and I thought it was amusing how Zeke did Dak's pregame routine as his TD celebration. 

Dak and Zeke are cute together.  Jason Witten had some great blocking in this game.  On the Zeke TD, he cut off one of the defenders by just standing there.  Apparently, running into Witten is like hitting the wall.  The Boys were highly entertaining today 

• Love 1

So Lamar Jackson continues to thrill, and to win. I thought this game would be a real test, but the Texans just weren't at the races.

It's still hard to believe how good this Ravens offense is, after years of them being pedestrian at best. Being able to relax in the third quarter, because they're up by several scores and in the middle of a drive that will eat up huge amounts of clock... it's just so foreign to a Ravens fan.

People are so caught up in the MVP discussion - Lamar or Russ - and I just don't care one bit. I want to see the Ravens go to the Super Bowl, and personal accolades are meaningless. I feel confident in saying that Lamar and Russell Wilson probably feel the same.

• Love 5

So are we over everyone else liking Romo yet?  Because his droning analysis of what Philly might do with 40 seconds on the clock was beyond annoying.  We’re watching the game, asshat.  Can’t we just see what happens in real time?  His voice is nails on a chalkboard at this point.

Philly, I am disappoint.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But it wasn't him,  was it? I thought it was just a clip he played on his show.

I re-listened and he did play a bit at the beginning by Neil Brennan that was funny, but the non-consensual concussion was actually Dan quoting Pablo Torre, which surprised me.

• Useful 1