Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Well, fuck.  Ninety eight percent of the time, I think I'm so numbed by the Giant's only-partially-explicable descent into mediocrity and then suckitude that a loss doesn't bum me out, but then there are nights like tonight.  I obviously hate the Eagles (fly into a plate glass window, Eagles, fly), and this game did show Eli is among the least of the G-Men's problems, but still - I wanted the second half to proceed like the first half did.

Alas, while I hate the Eagles less than I hate the Cowboys - duh, as there's division rivalry and then there's evil - whatever pathetic representative of the NFC East survives will be knocked out in the playoffs as they deserve.  Draft picks.  Blah, blah, blah.  I just would have liked to see my man Eli come away with a win tonight; because I'm never letting McAdoo's bullshit go, whatever my feelings on this season's benching. 

• Love 5

It’s funny when I look back at my Facebook memories on a daily basis because it goes something like this -

10 years ago - OMG Eli whyyyyyy

6 years ago - Ugh Eli that’s why I hate you 

3 years ago - Ben Mcadoo how DARE you disrespect the greatest QB of all time I hope your key card stops working immediately 

So I was rooting for Eli last night and it’s all Mcadoo’s fault.  Alas, the Giants D did what it does best, and that is not cover receivers.

The only good thing is that this puts pressure on Dallas and keeps Philly in the hunt to knock their dumb asses out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Dammit, Giants, the ONE time I need you to win, you fall apart.   Dammit.

Although it was not Eli's fault.   He actually had a good game.   But dammit.   OT no less.   

Hubby:   Did this win hurt your fantasy team.

Me:   Well, I'm a Cowboys fan so I guess that rates as a fantasy team.

Hubby:  Cowboys suck.

Me:   Look who's talking, you're a Lions fan, I am not even sure they are a pro team.

• LOL 5
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Alas, the Giants D did what it does best, and that is not cover receivers.

And to be more specific, they haven't been able to cover a tight end since about 2011.  It's ridiculous.

The Giants really don't know how to win games at this point, and I'm not sure what kind of changes need to happen to make that not true.

• Love 1

Not that it would have mattered, really, in last night's game, but sometimes I wish the NFL would go the route of the NHL on overtime games--if you win in OT, you get the win, but if you lose, you still get credit for the tie.  

Considering how carefully Bill studies all the rules so that he can find a loophole and violate only the spirit of them, you would think they would not make these kind of inadvertent, completely innocent mistakes.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

3 years ago - Ben Mcadoo how DARE you disrespect the greatest QB of all time I hope your key card stops working immediately

Wait, what did McAdoo do to disrespect Tom Brady so terribly three years ago??

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Considering how carefully Bill studies all the rules so that he can find a loophole and violate only the spirit of them, you would think they would not make these kind of inadvertent, completely innocent mistakes.

I trust that’s sarcasm.

Best comment read on the boards:  “After heading Patriots ‘explanation’, that was the most honest interview since Prince Andrew”.   😂

• LOL 3

OF COURSE the Patriots cheated; its in their DNA!  I think they employed a "smooth and rough" tactic where they have, on the surface, someone who incompetently and "accidentally" gets caught, while the smoother member of the team surreptitiously plants a few small powerful bugs around the Bengie's sidelines.  That way, if "rough" gets caught, smooth will still be able to accomplish his/her mission.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

It did just occur to me that there is exactly 0.0% need to regular-scout the Bengals in order to beat them, let alone super-secret-illegal-scout them. 

I'm going to say that this time the Patriots didn't actually do anything intentionally wrong. Because: What would be the point?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

It did just occur to me that there is exactly 0.0% need to regular-scout the Bengals in order to beat them, let alone super-secret-illegal-scout them. 

I'm going to say that this time the Patriots didn't actually do anything intentionally wrong. Because: What would be the point?

I almost posted the exact same thing.  I'm a Bengals fan (cue the sad trombone), but seriously, this makes no sense this year.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I'm a Bengals fan (cue the sad trombone), but seriously, this makes no sense this year.

The Jets were 4-12 the season of Spygate, and the Patriots were in the process of walloping Indy 45-7 in the Deflategate game.  Apparently it doesn't matter how bad you are, cheaters are gonna cheat.  Just have to wonder what kind of sophisticated techniques Belichick uses, but hasn't yet been caught doing, on teams that are actually good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

In addition to what was said about the bad teams the Patriots previously spied on/cheated on, it's possible they can use what was recorded and bank it for the future.  Sure, the Bengals suck this year but what if next year they're better?  Or what if the coaches on the sideline go and play for other teams? 

Now they have knowledge about the signals coaches like to use they could possibly put to use in future contests.  It's not always about next week.  Sometimes, it's about next year.

It's all about gaining a competitive advantage any way they can.  Some things might pan out.  Others not.  But it's there for them.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I would think that but it was EIGHT minutes of "inadvertent" taping.   That's a long time for a boo-boo.   The missing minutes on Watergate was 18 minutes and that brought down a president.   

I don't know if Belichek ordered it or if there is just a culture of cheating.   Like with Deflategate, I don't think Belichek ordered it, but I think the ball boys kinda had an idea that do everything you can win.   They knew Brady liked his balls softer (teeheheheheh I'm 12) so they lightened them a little.   Then it was cold and the PSI dropped because of the Universal Gas Law.    No one ordered it, just the culture of finding an edge anywhere you can.   

Same thing here.    Belichek probably didn't order the guys to tape.   But they were there and they figured why the heck not.   Nobody would believe they would be dumb enouogh to do it again, so no one will notice what we are doing.

• Love 2

While it would be kind of hilarious to find out that the Pats are such pathological cheaters that they actually went to the effort of trying to get the inside track on the Bengals, I think this is less calculated than previous cheating scandals they've been involved in.

They're making some documentary series for their website, which is absolutely something teams do (the Ravens have won awards for their editing and production), and it just happened to involve the team playing against their next opponents. Did they decide to take advantage of the situation on the fly? Quite possibly.

• Useful 1

This morning on Sports Center, anchor Neil Everett said, "I think we are all in agreement that the Patriots deserve the benefit of the doubt."  And then we heard Linda Cohn laughing loudly in the background.  I love Sports Center for trolling the Pats!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

They're making some documentary series for their website, which is absolutely something teams do (the Ravens have won awards for their editing and production), and it just happened to involve the team playing against their next opponents. Did they decide to take advantage of the situation on the fly? Quite possibly.

I have a hard time believing this.  I actually was going to give the pats their due right before deflate-gate, but that was the final straw.  They don't deserve my respect.  The question I ask is if it doesn't mean anything and doesn't give an edge to the pats, then why do it? or risk it at all?  It's clear to me these things do give them a very distinct advantage so it's worth the risk.  (And I'm not saying I know exactly what these advantages are, but Bill sure does).

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

While it would be kind of hilarious to find out that the Pats are such pathological cheaters that they actually went to the effort of trying to get the inside track on the Bengals, I think this is less calculated than previous cheating scandals they've been involved in.

The video series they're making "Do Your Job" has been airing all season. Here's one. I haven't seen them because as it turns out I'm not actually that interested in spending nine minutes finding out what the team dietitian does but this has over 1.6M views on YouTube. They've done athletic trainers, equipment managers, etc. They got to covering what advanced scouts do and apparently their job is to watch the next opponent. Who knew?

It's amazing that such a milquetoast venture is going to blow up into the next megascandal. If only we had a Commissioner that wasn't so easily swayed by hysterical simpletons.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I honestly don't care if teams cheat and it's silly how the media clutches their pearls over it. 

It would be naive for anyone to think that it's only the Pats who cheat.  They all cheat in one way or another; the Pats are just either dumb or brazen enough to get caught.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Why would you give NE the "benefit of the doubt" when they have a history of cheating?  Did the NFL not punish Miles Garrett severely because he had a history of violence?

Neil Everett is a sarcastic smartass.  The implication was that the Pats are cheaters, and why would we give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I love this time of year!!!  Does anyone have anything happy and positive to say about their team???  I mean both my fantasy teams are complete dumpster fires, but I’m excited to get my Mahomes jersey for Christmas.  I initially bought it for boy child, figuring I could inherit it but I’m not certain he won’t get a stain on it.  So, it’s gonna be mine!!!  

I’m still hopeful for a Packers / Chiefs SB. It’s the romantic in me.  Since I’ll never get my first choice of a Manning / Manning SB.  

Be happy!  Be cheerful!  Football is fun y’all!!!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I love this time of year!!!  Does anyone have anything happy and positive to say about their team???  I mean both my fantasy teams are complete dumpster fires, but I’m excited to get my Mahomes jersey for Christmas.  I initially bought it for boy child, figuring I could inherit it but I’m not certain he won’t get a stain on it.  So, it’s gonna be mine!!!  

I’m still hopeful for a Packers / Chiefs SB. It’s the romantic in me.  Since I’ll never get my first choice of a Manning / Manning SB.  

Be happy!  Be cheerful!  Football is fun y’all!!!

Since I don't have a NFL team to root for, I'll keep it positive by saying that We Dem Boyz are going to lose to those sorry Rams on Sunday & that will put a smile on my face.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, icemiser69 said:

I don't think I would be shocked if the Bengals beat the Patriots.  There are only a few games left.  I would think some of those players will be wondering if they will be on the team next season. 

There is a better chance of those pathetic Cowboys winning the Super Bowl this season or the not worth a damn Jets winning a Super Bowl in the next 10 years, than the Bungles beating the Patriots. 

• Love 3
On 12/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, xaxat said:

I think that's one thing, regardless of what position you have on this issue, that everyone agrees on.

Yeah.  You can think the Pats are cheaters and that the league office is shady. 

On 12/12/2019 at 12:37 AM, Danny Franks said:

They're making some documentary series for their website, which is absolutely something teams do (the Ravens have won awards for their editing and production), and it just happened to involve the team playing against their next opponents.

That's one thing I don't get.  The Pats are making a video about jobs around a football team.  Why are they filming the Bengals sideline for a Patriots video? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I love my husband, who watches football when he is in the room where I am watching it, for out of nowhere just before the second game blurts out “fuck the Cowboys!”  My heart, it grew three sizes this day.

Oh dear lord why have the Rams kept those awful helmets with the white ram horn.  They are TURRIBLE.

If today is it for Eli, I’m so happy he preserved .500.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, twoods said:

The Rams are looking like crap on national TV.

They're giving me whiplash with how they're great, then they suck, then they're great, then they suck.  At least the Giants have the consideration to suck consistently, so I know what to expect.  The least the Rams could do was not pick their game against the fucking Cowboys as a suck week.  I'd have been fine with them losing to the Seahawks.  I am not okay with this.

• Love 11
On 12/12/2019 at 1:58 PM, icemiser69 said:

I don't trust the league office.  I just don't.  An independent body not affiliated with the NFL ought to be doing all of the investigating for anything and everything that has the potential to affect the integrity of the NFL.

So, do you trust the management of the Pats more than the league?  I don't.  NE is an East coast team and draws big numbers on TV.  Belichek, Brady, et al are far better known to the casual football fan than 99% of the rest of the league.  I don't think the league has any interest in rocking their very profitable boat and I seriously doubt that they want the Bengals, a small town team going nowhere with a bunch of nobody players, to beat the Patriots.  That's not the narrative that sells for them.

I think that one of the reasons the Pats have been caught more than other teams (because I do think that other teams will also take unfair advantage if possible) is that they have been very successful with it, and, quite frankly, the disciplinary actions taken against them have had minimal impact.  They've got some very talented players and a coaching staff that knows how to take advantage of inside information.  I think the only reason they ended up in the doghouse over the Bengals incident was because the Patriot scouts were openly filming the Bengals from the press box.  Obviously, they were either arrogant or stupid, and I think it was the former not the latter.  Considering it was done in the press box, during a regular season game, in front of dozens of reporters; I think it just shows how little NE cares if they get caught.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Rams are looking like crap on national TV.

My NFL Sunday was ruined because of those jerks & their crappy performance in getting their butts kicked by the Cowboys. That game was basically over at halftime (28-7). The only good thing about this debacle is that I don't have to worry about those sorry Rams ruining another Super Bowl. Hopefully, Jared Goff & Todd Gurley will never get another sniff at a Super Bowl.

15 hours ago, twoods said:

I hated every time they showed Jerry Jones because he looked so smug celebrating in his suite. Blah.

Smugness is his specialty. That & talking too much. I'm sure that he is going to get the credit for the Cowboys winning yesterday. I'm sure Goddell is happy about that for some reason.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

How far behind Brees is he?

Drew Bress - 541

Peyton Manning - 539

Tom Brady - 538

Basically, they're neck & neck. 

As for tonight's game, except for that history making moment, this game was absolutely nap-inducing.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Magog said:

Drew Bress - 541

Peyton Manning - 539

Tom Brady - 538

Basically, they're neck & neck. 

As for tonight's game, except for that history making moment, this game was absolutely nap-inducing.

It's gonna come down to who is ahead at the end of the season.   Then who retires first.   Basically each will hold the record at some point this year.

As for the game, yeah, a blow out, ho hum.   Snore.    Except for the part about the record breaking TD, that was negated by offensive holding.   So he had to wait until after half time to do it.    New York called and said "if you allow him to break the record in the first half, no one will watch the second half of the game."

• LOL 3
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:
On 12/17/2019 at 7:37 AM, merylinkid said:

What I haven't seen is a comparison of numbers of games played that led to the number of touchdowns thrown.

Drew Brees has played in 273 games.

Tom Brady has played in 283 games.

And Peyton played in 266 games.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, WritinMan said:

Detroit sticking with coach and GM...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lions-ownership-sends-baffling-signal-its-sticking-with-sinking-matt-patricia-and-gm-bob-quinn-050430944.html

It's like Detroit doesn't really want to be successful.

Wasn't there a story the other day that Jeff Bezos was being courted as a possible buyer for the Lions? If there's any truth to that, then I can see why wanting to just leave things as is would make sense - no point hiring new people if a new owner is on the horizon.

Otherwise, it makes no sense. Matt Patricia, like all Belichick proteges, sucks as a head coach.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Stafford has been out the majority of the season.  That is probably why management kept their jobs.  That said, at what point will team owners realize that Belchick's coaching tree is a huge disappointment.

They won their first 3 games for the first time since the Sanders years.   Then Stafford got hurt (I think he was playing with a broken back for longer than they admit).   Then their back up got hurt.   They are down to their 3rd stringer named Blough.   Anyone in that situation would get a mulligan.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2