Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Rivers should retire, as should Brady.  Both of them have been terrible this year.

Cam has too many questions surrounding his physical health IMO.  Unfortunately running QBs don’t last long.  And he took waaay too many hits in his career.

Ron Rivera seems like a nice guy, and a good coach.  But they lost 6 or 8 straight last year b4 they benched Cam.  It doesn’t surprise me, and Tepper (the owner) said he didn’t want to do a coaching search behind his back.  

Dan Quinn, Patrick, Pedersen are all on the hot seat, too.  Shurmer, Garrett & Kitchens should be, but they won’t.

• Love 2

Trey Wingo called Jerry Jones “the owner Grand Poobah GM and master of all things time and space for the Dallas Cowboys” and the Golics have always been my favorite, but Trey suddenly looks quite attractive.

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, roamyn said:

Rivers should retire, as should Brady.  Both of them have been terrible this year.

Speaking of QBs that are about to retire, Eli is most likely going to start this week against the Eagles because Jones has a high ankle sprain. 

The Giants are a mess, mostly on defense but not entirely, so it still seems unlikely they could pull out a win. But it sure would be fun to see Eli have a good game and do some serious damage to any playoff hopes to a team that has had his number for quite a while now. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't think Jason Garrett is the problem in Dallas, Jerry Jones is.

If Garrett isn't given a new contract, I think he will probably have better results coaching somewhere else.

I think It was Nick Wright over on FS1, that said that the Dallas job is a great job.   It would be if it didn't seem as though Jones was hovering over that team like a blanket.  Jerry isn't afraid to spend the money, but I think he gets far too involved with the day to day operations of the team which I believe undercuts any authority that Garrett may have trying to deal with players and coach the team.

In many ways, Jones reminds me of George Steinbrenner of the Yankees.  He just isn't as over the top with it as Steinbrenner was.

Even Jerry knows he's the problem. He gave an interview some years back saying if the GM was another person who had the same results as Jerry did, the other person would have been fired by now. Jerry just has an insatiable desire to be the one who gets all the praise. It still pisses him off that Jimmy Johnson is credited for the Cowboys' success in the '90s.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I mean...

I mean, I'm a Giants fan, too, and I appreciate everything Eli has done for the franchise, but one thing I've never understood is the tendency in sports, especially football, to blame someone for getting hurt, as if it's a character flaw on their part. 

I can't count the number of times I've heard or read some sports pundit dissing a player for injuries, especially repeated injuries, as if there was something they should have done to stop that Achilles tendon from rupturing or that spleen from getting speared. 

I'll walk that back a little bit if there's evidence that the player didn't keep themselves in top shape and the lack of fitness contributed to the injury.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Popples said:

Even Jerry knows he's the problem. He gave an interview some years back saying if the GM was another person who had the same results as Jerry did, the other person would have been fired by now. Jerry just has an insatiable desire to be the one who gets all the praise. It still pisses him off that Jimmy Johnson is credited for the Cowboys' success in the '90s.

Popples, did you ever see the 30 for 30 episode about Jimmy and Jerry?  Their rivalry goes back to when they were on the football team at the University of Arkansas.  It is fascinating that they had this lifelong friendship, and Jerry got rid of Jimmy when Jimmy made it to the top.  Jerry wants everyone to serve him. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The Cowboys are getting their butts kicked by Mitchell Trubisky tonight & I'm loving it. I wonder what that loser owner (Jerry Jones) have to say about tonight's performance. 

Its just too bad that the Cowboys are still in contention to win that wretched NFC East even after tonight's performance. That entire division makes me sick to my stomach.

Edit for final score: Bears 31 - We Dem Boyz 24 

HA HA HA HA!!

Edited by Magog
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

That was a good win by Chicago. It was one of the best games Mitchell Trubisky has played. He has looked better the past couple of week after really struggling earlier on this season.

OTOH it was another rough game for the Cowboys. After their long opening drive that resulted in a TD, they ended up struggling on both sides of the ball. The offense couldn't do much throughout this game and the defense struggled as well as Mitchell Trubisky and the Bears offense ran over them. The Bears offense was able to move the ball pretty well against the Cowboys tonight. 

Now with this loss, there is even more pressure on the Cowboys. They are in a tight spot Technically they could still win the division at 9-7 if they win out (including beating the Eagles.) But they play against the Rams next week who have also been struggling and are fighting for their playoff lives. That could be a tough match up for them and another loss. And if that happens their playoffs chance diminishes even more.

Granted they still could make it even with 8-8 but the Eagles have an easier schedule than they do. (And could also win out as well). The Cowboys really need to win their last 3 remaining games.

A silver lining for them is that Eagles have been struggling even more than they have. But it could be a tight race between both teams at the end to see who wins the division.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

9 years ago, Jerry Jones made his first every midseason coach firing by dumping Wade Phillips.   He said the team quit on the coach.    Can we see the second soon for the same reason?   Of the guy who was the interim after Phillips was fired?

The team needs a new GM.   but it won't get one as long as Jerrah is alive.   He knows he is terrible, he won't admit it.   He wont' risk someone else getting credit for HIS team being good.   So we are stuck with what we saw tonight.   One really amazing drive, one good drive and the rest was WTF???????

Here's my question. If a competent coach was coaching the Cowboys this year, say Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid, or Bill Belichick, with the groceries that Jerry bought, what would their record be? They seem to have talented players that theoretically complement each other. They aren't a mis-built team on paper. Is it all coaching or is it actually talent after all?

10 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I mean, I'm a Giants fan, too, and I appreciate everything Eli has done for the franchise, but one thing I've never understood is the tendency in sports, especially football, to blame someone for getting hurt, as if it's a character flaw on their part. 

I can't count the number of times I've heard or read some sports pundit dissing a player for injuries, especially repeated injuries, as if there was something they should have done to stop that Achilles tendon from rupturing or that spleen from getting speared. 

I'll walk that back a little bit if there's evidence that the player didn't keep themselves in top shape and the lack of fitness contributed to the injury.

I totally agree. Why would a player spend their entire life trying to make an NFL team and then sabotage the situation by getting hurt? I think there are some sportswriters who are jealous of the athletes they cover.

5 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Here's my question. If a competent coach was coaching the Cowboys this year, say Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid, or Bill Belichick, with the groceries that Jerry bought, what would their record be? They seem to have talented players that theoretically complement each other. They aren't a mis-built team on paper. Is it all coaching or is it actually talent after all?

None of those coaches would abide Jerry Jones' constant interference and media grandstanding. Look at the owners of the teams those men coach, and other than Kraft you'd be hard pressed to even say who they are.

Jason Garrett still has his job because he's a biddable yes man who will always push Jerry's message and work within the confines that have been set for him. Everyone is acting as though his firing is inevitable, and I honestly don't think it is. If the Cowboys manage to stagger to another couple of wins and make the playoffs, then that will secure his job for another year.

16 hours ago, meowmommy said:

It's a hangover from the days when playing football was considered the manliest, toughest thing in the world - the whole conceit that football = war - and a lot of media types still buy into that nonsense. Even when the trend should be towards making the game safer and being more careful with injuries than ever before (and to be fair, a lot of teams are like this, because they actually understand the risks and dangers of the sport).

Somehow, some people equate the ability to not get hurt with mental toughness, when it's really nothing of the kind. But they're not even consistent with that, because I don't see anyone calling out JJ Watt for spending most of the last four years hurt.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

How would any of those coaches be able to discipline the team with Jerry being around so often constantly chiming in?  Belichick runs a very tight ship.   I don't think he would appreciate an owner constantly talking to the media

That was the problem with more than one coach.   They couldn't discipline because they knew the players would just go around the coach and whine to Jerry.    Who would override the coach.    The lack of discipline shows on the field.

Dallas is still one of the premier coaching positions, so qualified coaches will still apply.   But it's heading the other way.

6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Even Troy made the point tonight that there's nobody on that staff who's remotely qualified to serve as an interim coach.  

I made this point to a friend who reminded me:   Rod Marinelli is on staff.    Just to limp to the finish he is fine.    The chances of winning the division are still good because the division sucks sooooo bad this year.    That's good enough for one play off game.   Then you search for the regular coach.    See above for how that will go.        

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

How would any of those coaches be able to discipline the team with Jerry being around so often constantly chiming in?  Belichick runs a very tight ship.   I don't think he would appreciate an owner constantly talking to the media.

From what I understand, Jerr-uh backed off a little bit when Bill Parcells was coach.  Parcells likes to be micromanaged the way my cat likes a bath.  They would have to find someone with both Parcells's record and his cojones.

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Rod Marinelli is on staff.    Just to limp to the finish he is fine.

You may be right, but the first thing that people would remember is that he's the guy that led his team to 0-16.  I think any team would be happy to have him as a coordinator, but afraid to have him as head coach again, even as interim.  As usual, I could be completely FOS.

5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

None of those coaches would abide Jerry Jones' constant interference and media grandstanding. Look at the owners of the teams those men coach, and other than Kraft you'd be hard pressed to even say who they are.

And none of them ever had the conceit of thinking their experience building (or inheriting) their fortune made them football experts.  Kraft isn't well known because he made himself general manager; he's well known because he hired a guy who would bring him eleventy-four Super Bowls, and now he's more well known because he got himself arrested.

• Useful 1

I'm more than happy if the Cowboys follow the 'cool, young head coach' trend. I've been a little worried that Jerry would look at the Ravens' offense and think that there's no reason it can't be replicated with Prescott and Elliot, then hiring Greg Roman.

In fact, all teams should keep hiring young coaches, it would save the Ravens' coordinators getting poached, as has happened so often in the past.

• Useful 1
On 12/7/2019 at 9:58 AM, Fukui San said:

It'd be unprecedented, but I'm wondering if Jerry Jones has considered dumping Garrett now and picking up Ron Rivera to finish out the season.

Assuming Rivera wants the job, I can't see him agreeing to it without a guaranteed, multi year deal. Otherwise, there's no upside for him. 

• Love 1

I generally root for the Saints if they are not playing the Giants, and especially when NO is at home, so I am INCENSED that again the refs seem to be fucking the Saints on the regular.

The NFL really needs to look into this!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If all they need is someone to yell at the team, they might as well just hire Judge Judy and let her wander up and down the sidelines while wearing her judge's robe, and let her scream at players for not performing.  I would watch that.

So would I. Pass the popcorn. 🍿

• Love 4

That was a very impressive catch and run that George Kittle made at the end of the Saints/49ers game to help set the 49ers up for the FG/win. He fought for every bit of that yardage even with players hanging off of him/grabbing his face mask. This was the second week in a row the 49ers played a gritty game and this time they came out with the win. They really have been very impressive this year. And I think these types of games they have been playing lately will help prepare for them for their playoff run. 

Drew Lock also had an impressive game for the Broncos against the Texans. Overall he did a really nice job against them especially in the first half. 

And Miami continues to play hard. They lost to the Jets today but it came down to a last second FG. They may have one of the worst records in the league but they are a team that fights very hard and has been competitive in a lot of their games this year. 

• Love 4

Nice loss by the Bills. I was expecting them to fold against the Ravens but they were competitive. Hope they don’t melt down and take one of the wild cards.

I’m laughing at how spoiled the Pats fans are. Booing your own team after the half after they are 10-2 and won the SB? Assholes.

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, twoods said:

I’m laughing at how spoiled the Pats fans are. Booing your own team after the half after they are 10-2 and won the SB? Assholes.

Yeah, talk about a bunch of ingrates!

• Love 4

Wow. I'm surprised that KC didn't blow it in the 4th Quarter like I thought they would. I should give them props. But, they were trying as hell to give that game away. Hopefully, they can somehow find a way to beat the Patriots again when it really counts. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I understand that the Pats guy did not actually step out of bounds so that was a touchdown, but I find it really really SUPER hard to care about the Pats getting screwed by the refs.

That’s ok. We’re saving our big breaks for the playoffs!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I understand that the Pats guy did not actually step out of bounds so that was a touchdown, but I find it really really SUPER hard to care about the Pats getting screwed by the refs.

Because Belichek finally outsmarted himself (well, okay again, Tom Brady catching a pass in the Super Bowl anyone?  Then dropping it).   He challenged that spot on 1st down, and you know he was going to lose.    So he was out of challenges when he really really really needed one.

I don't understand coaches who challenge the spot of the ball.   If you lose, you lost a challenge.   If you let it go, you can still stop them with your D.    Only challenge TD non-calls.   You only got 2 a game -- use them wisely.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I don't understand coaches who challenge the spot of the ball.   If you lose, you lost a challenge.   If you let it go, you can still stop them with your D.    Only challenge TD non-calls.   You only got 2 a game -- use them wisely.

I think it depends on the situation and how obviously off the officials are.  For instance, I would get why a coach would use a challenge if they're on the opposing team's side of the field, it's third down and the officials are off by about half a yard.  A first down there could mean the difference between being in field goal range and punting.  It's more of a waste if a team is on their own 20 yard line, for instance.

• Love 1

Yep, his stupid ass fault for two stupid challenges. You save those for big things like touchdowns. We can all sit there like armchair assholes and bark about calls but plays happen so fast out there. And rich of them to complain about PI calls as well when their defenders are all over the WRs and rarely get a call against them. I’m guessing they will get their big calls in the playoffs like they usually do (like @Fukui San said) but will take anything I get. 

• Love 1

Watching from behind Belichick as he flipped his shit about the KC fumble being blown dead reminded me of George Costanza:

Boo hoo, the Pats got hosed on a couple of big calls.  Not right, but I also cannot summon up the will to care.  Come playoff time, it will once again become a penalty to wave a hand in the general direction of Tom Brady or sneeze too forcefully in his presence, and all will be right in New England's dirty little cheating world again.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Come playoff time, it will once again become a penalty to wave a hand in the general direction of Tom Brady or sneeze too forcefully in his presence,

Whereas Mahomes was shoved into a cooler AFTER he stepped out of bounds, and therefore the play was over.   No call, even though it was blatant.   But that's the way it goes.   Some QBs get calls if you breathe heavy near them.   Others have to be broken in half before a call is made.

• Love 8

Perhaps NE didn't get all the calls because Kraft's hand was tired from writing too many checks "To Zebras With Love" . . . or he was busy getting a "massage"  Or perhaps the refs were sore from all the pins Sean Payton put into ref voodoo dolls!

• LOL 2

In all honesty if the Patriots do go out early this year, I believe that the key difference from years past isn't Brady's age, lack of talent, or even injuries. It's that half of the coaching staff from this run are now in Miami with Brian Flores. The coaching on a granular level may not be as we're accustomed to even as Bill B. remains himself. Belichick's hands on involvement in the defense has helped that side be very good all year but basic mistakes in the offense by players who should know better has limited them, particularly with the receivers.

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Many Patriots' fans are spoiled by a team that rarely gets screwed by poor ref calls.   If they were ever San Diego fans, they wouldn't have been so butt hurt about the touchdown that was ruled not a touchdown.

This is the first time that I can remember in a long time that the Patriots didn't seem to have a significant advantage at home when it came to how the referees were handling the game.

That said, there were some bad calls that went in the Patriots' favor.

Beyond that, the Chiefs are nowhere near as good as the media makes them out to be.

I knew the Patriots were going to block that punt before it happened.  I could see it coming a mile a way.

I don't know how the Patriots can be awarded possession of the ball from a  Chiefs' fumble when the whistle blew before anyone had recovered the ball.

It doesn't make sense, though I think this rule was put in place when the Chargers got screwed at a game in Denver several years ago by a ref that was too whistle happy.

As much as I hate the Patriots, they are the best coached team in the league.   The only way that any team is going to beat them in the playoffs, is by running up the score on them and not letting them get back in the game.  Oh, and they can't turn the ball over.

Also, will someone tell Romo to shut up.

Romo is so bad!

• Love 3

Somehow, the Eagles showed up in the 2nd half & beat the Giants on Overtime. They were basically napping in the 1st half. But, they got it together just in time to win the game. 

Thankfully, the Eagles won tonight & Eli didn't get the last laugh, as it got very tiring looking at the Manning family constantly. ESPN was rooting for Eli Manning all night. I'm certain that they're sad that not only did he lost, that their Cowboys won't have an easier time winning that sorry NFC East.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2