Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Of course the winning TD in the Pats-Eagles is a trick play. Bellichek may forgive, but he never forgets.

Julian Edelman is a former quarterback so I wouldn't call it a trick play. If the punter had made the pass that would be a trick play.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

So are we over everyone else liking Romo yet?  Because his droning analysis of what Philly mighty do with 40 seconds on the clock was beyond annoying.  We’re watching the game, asshat.  Can’t we just see what happens in real time?  His voice is nails on a chalkboard at this point.

Philly, I am disappoint.

I think Romo does talk too much but he's much better than Dan Fouts who is the worst.

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Of course the winning TD in the Pats-Eagles is a trick play. Bellichek may forgive, but he never forgets.

I think the Eagles will take that tradeoff. ( I can't beleive they have a statue of Foles and Pederson calling the Philly Special outside of the stadium.)

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Fuck Dallas and fuck Dak’s hips especially.

Are you referring to Dak's pre-game where he was flicking his hips down the field to some, apparently inspiring, music? I though that was hilarious.

• Love 1

Wow to the Ravens. They look absolutely ridiculous. I don’t want to get excited about them making the SB because I will likely be disappointed but Lamar Jackson is such a class act and I’m so happy he’s doing well.

• Love 8

I wasn’t watching the 49ers game but was at my local corner store and turned to watch because the cashier and others were stopped to watch the last play and good lord that was a crazy WTF play. I haven’t listened to the see if it should have been ruled down or not only saw that it was ruled a Td with a sports alert but it was something to watch live with a random crowd in a store in San Francisco. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, xaxat said:

Are you referring to Dak's pre-game where he was flicking his hips down the field to some, apparently inspiring, music? I though that was hilarious.

I am.  Anything that makes Dallas happy and causes Zeke to imitate it automatically elevates it to terrible IMO.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Tryout.

IMO, it sounds like a disaster.

Sounds like to me Kaep had his tryout done the way HE wanted already set up and he didn’t even call the NFL until 1/2 hour ahead of time.  Wasted 17 teams time that didn’t go to his personal tryout.

Which begs the question, why didn’t he do that a year ago?

First Take had a very good discussion and brought arguments to bear for both sides.  Though it was interesting that Damon Woody & Stephen A we’re both more negative on Kaep and both believe he’s done and handled it poorly.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Tryout.

IMO, it sounds like a disaster.

He doesn't really want to play football. He just wants some new controversy so he can stay in the news.

And if there is some part of him that does still want to play, this whole tryout fiasco just shows he only wants to know what the NFL can do for him, not what he can do for an NFL team.

Go away, Kaep.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

He doesn't really want to play football. He just wants some new controversy so he can stay in the news.

And if there is some part of him that does still want to play, this whole tryout fiasco just shows he only wants to know what the NFL can do for him, not what he can do for an NFL team.

Go away, Kaep.

Murderers and pedophiles. What are the only types of people I would prefer the NFL owners over?

And now, Stat of the Week: Julian Edelman is the only player in the Tom Brady era who has thrown for more TDs than Brady in any game where Brady took every offensive snap.

• Love 5

I might be one of the few, but I think Kaep played this right.

The "rules" for the tryout made it pretty clear the league wasn't serious about giving an opportunity to get signed.  He was given days notice, he didn't know who would be running the tryout, who he would be throwing to and who would be in attendance.

I think the last part is important because there are only a handful of people in an organization who could make the decision to sign him. The owner, GM and the most senior coaches in the league. The NFL ensured that none of them would be there by scheduling the tryout on a Saturday. 

I don't care if a team's second best scout (the best scout was at an SEC game) gave a rave review, that opinion really wouldn't matter with the real decision makers. 

In addition, there was the contract the league asked him to sign. Which Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio (who is also a lawyer) said

It’s important here because of the history of litigation between the two sides, and regarding the possibility for more litigation, if Kaepernick continues to be shunned and if he believes that a formal grievance would yield sufficient evidence that collusion continues after the settlement of his first collusion claim in February 2019. As mentioned yesterday, it would arguably constitute malpractice for a lawyer to allow the client to sign the release that was presented to Kaepernick, given the past legal battle between Kaepernick and the league.

So yeah. He blew off the NFL, who wasn't going to sign him and primarily wanted to erase any future potential liability.

And got to do it his way.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I might be one of the few, but I think Kaep played this right.

The "rules" for the tryout made it pretty clear the league wasn't serious about giving an opportunity to get signed.  He was given days notice, he didn't know who would be running the tryout, who he would be throwing to and who would be in attendance.

I think the last part is important because there are only a handful of people in an organization who could make the decision to sign him. The owner, GM and the most senior coaches in the league. The NFL ensured that none of them would be there by scheduling the tryout on a Saturday. 

I don't care if a team's second best scout (the best scout was at an SEC game) gave a rave review, that opinion really wouldn't matter with the real decision makers. 

In addition, there was the contract the league asked him to sign. Which Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio (who is also a lawyer) said

So yeah. He blew off the NFL, who wasn't going to sign him and primarily wanted to erase any future potential liability.

And got to do it his way.

But every walk on/undrafted signs a longer waiver that basically says the same things abt no guantees & potential injuries.

Also, you don’t go to a try out where you’re trying to get back in the good graces of TPTB, wearing a Kunta Kinte t-shirt.  

And I’m on Kaepernick’s side re: peaceful protesting during the Anthem.

• Love 2

Phillip River's arm looked very weak tonight multiple times in the Chargers loss against the Chiefs. He was really struggling with throws especially towards the end of the game. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

Phillip River's arm looked very weak tonight multiple times in the Chargers loss against the Chiefs. He was really struggling with throws especially towards the end of the game. 

The Chargers need to bench him and start looking at the future. Rivers had thrown so many interceptions this season, and don’t get me started on the fumbles. Is the coach afraid to bench him? I don’t get it.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, roamyn said:

But every walk on/undrafted signs a longer waiver that basically says the same things abt no guantees & potential injuries.

This wasn't the standard waiver.   This is also said he wouldn't sue if no team signed him.   They were trying to avoid a second collusion claim.  

Also, Kaep wanted to film it so he could send it to teams who couldn't make it.   The NFL wanted sole control over filming and sending tape to the teams.   I.e. edit it to fit the narrative he is not in shape and can't throw.   

Scouts who were there said he looked ready to play.

BTW, Matt Moore who ALSO hasn't played in the NFL since 2017 and was never really a starter or that good, got signed by a team without having to go through a dog and pony show tryout.  

Kaep was not treated like every walk-on, undrafted, retired player we are trying to lure back.   He was treated like a PR stunt to make it look like the NFl was the good guy.   He refused to play their game.   

Now back to actual football.    I have to wonder if that 4 daily round trip is getting to be too much for Rivers.   He is just not looking good this year.   Of course, he was in the same draft class as Eli and Big Ben.   So maybe he is just done.   

My Boys beat the Lions.    'nough said.    Unfortunately we play the Pats on Sunday.   That will not be pretty.   

• Love 8
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

My Boys beat the Lions.    'nough said.    Unfortunately we play the Pats on Sunday.   That will not be pretty.   

It takes a lot to get me to root for the Cheaters.  This is a lot.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Kaep was not treated like every walk-on, undrafted, retired player we are trying to lure back.   He was treated like a PR stunt to make it look like the NFl was the good guy.   He refused to play their game.   

Exactly.  The NFL gave him only a few days notice, picked the date (and quite deliberately one in which coaches and the number one scouts are busy), location and coach, insisted on no press, and tried to foist the "nope, no collusion here" waiver on him.  Kaep let them think they were getting away with this charade, and then exposed it for what it was.  As he said, "I’ve been ready for three years.  I’ve been denied for three years. We all know why.  I came out there and showed it today in front of everybody.”  But I'm supposed to give him the side eye?  No thanks, sports media, I see you just like I see the league.

The Monday before, in accepting Glamour magazine's Woman of the Year award, Megan Rapinoe went all in thanking Kaepernick and calling out not only the unfairness of his treatment, but the discrepancy between his and hers.  You can find the speech in its entirety many places, but here's part:

So while I’m enjoying all of this unprecedented—and, frankly, a little bit uncomfortable—attention and personal success, in large part due to my activism off the field, Colin Kaepernick is still effectively banned from the NFL for kneeling during the national anthem in protest of known and systematic police brutality against people of color, known and systematic racial injustice, and known and systematic white supremacy. I see no clearer example of that system being alive and well than me standing before you right now.

• Love 14

Watching the Lakers game and Gronk was on during halftime dancing with the Laker girls. I was disgusted because my humor side lost out to my hatred for the Pats, but hubby said “Look at him. He’s living his best life.” And he really is, enjoying retirement. Good for him.

• Love 4

No NFL team is going to sign Colin Kaepernick, and I think everyone really should understand that. It's not a question of his talent (which is demonstrable but was always inconsistent), it's a question of them hating the idea of a "media circus", which would be of the NFL's own making more than it would be Kaepernick's.

He committed the grievous sin of upsetting the delicate sensibilities of a certain demographic (which includes most NFL owners) and instead of backing him as they should have done, using fully justifiable logic and common sense to take advantage of a teaching opportunity, the league let other people set the narrative. Kaepernick did his best to keep it focused on the actual issue he was highlighting, but it's long been twisted far beyond that.

But it's become a vicious circle, now - NFL teams won't sign him because of the media attention, and every day no one signs him, the media attention if they did becomes even greater. And the NFL are feeding into that even more, by trying to use him to get some positive publicity, without actually having to employ him. It's too late for them to spin this positively. He was blackballed, because the league didn't have the courage to say 'he's within his rights to do this'.

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

He committed the grievous sin of upsetting the delicate sensibilities of a certain demographic (which includes most NFL owners)

And the president of the United States. I'm sure his rhetoric about Kaepernick and the league scared the crap out of the owners.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, xaxat said:

And the president of the United States. I'm sure his rhetoric about Kaepernick and the league scared the crap out of the owners.

It didn't scare them.   It gave them cover to do what they wanted to do anyway.   Most of them agreed with a certain person in the White House.

If Matt Moore who can be more than inconsistent can be signed without a tryout so can Kaepnick.   Tim Tebow got MULTIPLE chances despite not being that good in the first place AND being a media circus.   Heck, Tim Tebow even got to switch to baseball precisely because of the media circus that comes with him.    Every time a player is arrested for DV and NOT cut there is a media circus.   Nope, pure and simple, there is one reason and one reason they will never sign Kaepnick.   He pointed out their racism and they don't want to admit.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

To be honest, I was including him in the demographic with delicate sensibilities. But he definitely made the situation so, so much worse. And, as usual, it was partly rooted in a petty vengeance for the rest of the NFL owners wanting nothing to do with him.

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

It didn't scare them.   It gave them cover to do what they wanted to do anyway.   Most of them agreed with a certain person in the White House.

If Matt Moore who can be more than inconsistent can be signed without a tryout so can Kaepnick.   Tim Tebow got MULTIPLE chances despite not being that good in the first place AND being a media circus.   Heck, Tim Tebow even got to switch to baseball precisely because of the media circus that comes with him.    Every time a player is arrested for DV and NOT cut there is a media circus.   Nope, pure and simple, there is one reason and one reason they will never sign Kaepnick.   He pointed out their racism and they don't want to admit.

This is the thing. Kaepernick may not be a long term starter, but he's definitely better than a bunch of the backups. And if he did start, he certainly wouldn't be worse than Trubisky or the guys who took over for Flacco and Newton while they're out. Does anyone think that Kaepernick wouldn't have been better for the Jets than Luke Falk, while Sam Darnold was injured? Off the top of my head, a list of teams who could have done with Kaepernick this year:

Jets

Panthers

Broncos

Dolphins

Washington

Bengals

Colts

Bears

Bucs

The idea that not one of those teams legitimately sees Kaepernick as an option is proof that he's out of the league for completely non-football reasons.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That new Los Angeles stadium is getting a bit more pricey.

I'm sure that Jerry Jones, the Rams owner (whoever that idiot is), Roger Goddell, & the rest of those scummy NFL owners are not going to lose any sleep over this.

• Love 1

I question the timing of this information coming out. Not to mention Myles apologized twice to Rudolph and didn't mention it to the press or his teammates?

I'm going to need some players to come forward or an NFL microphone to have picked up something. There's no way I could keep that private if the world was trashing me!

• Love 9
7 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

I question the timing of this information coming out. Not to mention Myles apologized twice to Rudolph and didn't mention it to the press or his teammates?

I'm going to need some players to come forward or an NFL microphone to have picked up something. There's no way I could keep that private if the world was trashing me!

I'm a Cleveland fan, but this seems very fishy to me. If Rudolph had made a racial slur, why didn't Garrett mention that right away?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I'm a Cleveland fan, but this seems very fishy to me. If Rudolph had made a racial slur, why didn't Garrett mention that right away?

That's where I stand.   Now it's possible.   If you check out Rudolph's twitter, he's not exactly a reasonable guy shall we say.   However, the night it happened was the moment to bring it up.   Garrett didn't talk to the press that night.   But his coach didn't say anything.   His agent didn't say anything.   He didn't put out a statement when the suspension was first announced.   The very first time we hear anything about the alleged slur from Garrett (there was unsubstantiated rumors on twitter but from people who were not connected to Garrett) until he appeals his suspension.   If the slur was said, you say that right off the bat.   Guys who are NOT facing suspension have stated they had slurs used against them in the game.   NFL investigates every single one.   Garrett had to know this.   

• Love 3

I believe Myles when he said he was trying not to bring attention to what he says Mason said.  The NFL is the one who let it get out. 

And not that he deserved to get clonked in the head by his own helmet, but Mason Rudolph is supremely unlikeable.  I mean, his first statement called Myles a coward and his second statement was the complete opposite.  He’s shifty.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I believe Myles when he said he was trying not to bring attention to what he says Mason said.  The NFL is the one who let it get out. 

Same here; this sounds logical to me, so I have no reason not to believe it:

I was assured that the hearing was space that afforded the opportunity to speak openly and honestly about the incident that led to my suspension.  This was not meant for public dissemination, nor was it a convenient attempt to justify my actions or restore my image in the eyes of those I disappointed.

I know what I heard. Whether my opponent's comment was born out of frustration or ignorance, I cannot say. But his actions do not excuse my lack of restraint in the moment, and I truly regret the impact this has had on the league, the Browns and our devoted fans.

And the NFL can miss me with its "found no such evidence" assertion.  The evidence is Garrett's statement.  If there's no corroborating evidence - and they actually looked for some (in one day?) - fine, but say that.  Words have meanings and connotations; choosing the right ones to use matters.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

That's where I stand.   Now it's possible.   If you check out Rudolph's twitter, he's not exactly a reasonable guy shall we say.   However, the night it happened was the moment to bring it up.   Garrett didn't talk to the press that night.   But his coach didn't say anything.   His agent didn't say anything.   He didn't put out a statement when the suspension was first announced.   The very first time we hear anything about the alleged slur from Garrett (there was unsubstantiated rumors on twitter but from people who were not connected to Garrett) until he appeals his suspension.   If the slur was said, you say that right off the bat.   Guys who are NOT facing suspension have stated they had slurs used against them in the game.   NFL investigates every single one.   Garrett had to know this.   

He actually did speak to the media that night, but all he really said was "I lost my cool". 

And wouldn’t say why he lost his cool.  Everyone I know assumed Rudolph said something because Myles is known for not losing his cool, even when he was sucker punched by a “fan” who asked for his autograph.  I hope this continues to be news until the NFL acknowledges the hypocrisy of letting Rudolph skate all responsibility.  And I will keep saying this - If Myles had hit a woman he would have gotten a smaller penalty.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

And wouldn’t say why he lost his cool.  Everyone I know assumed Rudolph said something because Myles is known for not losing his cool, even when he was sucker punched by a “fan” who asked for his autograph.  I hope this continues to be news until the NFL acknowledges the hypocrisy of letting Rudolph skate all responsibility.  And I will keep saying this - If Myles had hit a woman he would have gotten a smaller penalty.

He already got one unsportmanslike conduct for losing his cool on the field this year.   That's why the indefinite suspension.   It wasn't a first on-field offense.

• Love 2

I bought a PS4 the other day specifically so my hubby could watch “The Mandalorian” and I could watch “Peyton’s Places” on the TV instead of a tablet.

Full disclosure - I am fully aware of Peyton’s history.  But damn I love him, still.

Watching him try to drive a stick nearly brought tears to my eyes from laughing.  It reminded me of my one failed attempt, but I never got the car to move.

I’ve only been able to watch two eps so far because we just set up the system yesterday and my son hogged it most of the night to play Call of Duty but I am itching to finish it.  The NFL should really look into making this accessible to everyone because they could use some godwill.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’ve only been able to watch two eps so far because we just set up the system yesterday and my son hogged it most of the night to play Call of Duty but I am itching to finish it.  The NFL should really look into making this accessible to everyone because they could use some godwill.

Goodwill, Jerry Jones, & Roger Goddell do not go together. Its not even in their vocabularies. Although, Peyton's Places sounds like it could be likable. 

This afternoon's game (Cowboys - Patriots) represents a rare lose-lose type of situation. It is going to be a 3 hour suckfest as Joe Buck & Troy Aikman shows their alligence to the Cowboys & Patriots. It doesn't matter who wins that game today. We all lose. The only good thing about today is that I know that the Bungles ae going to lose again today. 

• Love 3

I think someone might of have posted a link earlier, but I just got around to reading ESPN's deep dive into the LA stadium deal. What a mess.

Spanos felt burned and betrayed by the vote and the entire L.A. decision process, and therefore few expected him to exercise the tenancy option. But he did, and now these unequal partners are locked in a bitter fight, stoked by Kroenke's fury over cost overruns exceeding $3 billion, questions over the Chargers' long-term viability in the market, a lawsuit seeking billions over Kroenke's departure from St. Louis that has engulfed the entire league, and an increasingly fractious and sometimes petty civil war between Rams and Chargers officials, according to documents and nearly two dozen interviews with owners, league and team executives, and lawyers.

I don't understand how the league allowed Jerry Jones to inside deal as much as he did. He helped dictate the deal that led to the Rams and Chargers developing a stadium. His company Legends (which he owns with the Steinbrenners) was then put in charge of its construction, handled the seat licenses for the Chargers and will handle the concessions for both teams. (BTW, two of those things aren't going so well.)

Schadenfreude level is high. The only person I felt bad for was this guy.

r627496_1188x798cc.jpg&w=570&format=jpg

• Useful 1

My friend works on the L.A. stadium construction project in a financial capacity, so I hear a lot about the budgetary clusterfuck (granted, I hear a lot of the same on all projects) - and then fill in the NFL soap opera behind it all, as my friend pays no attention to the sport.  I forwarded that ESPN article in an email that said, "Here's everything I've been babbling about".

Thanks to CBS, I'll finally get weeds pulled this afternoon, because there is no 1:00 game on my affiliate, leaving the only afternoon football option the Cowboys-Patriots shitfest on FOX.  Not that I'd actually want to watch Jaguars-Titans, but at least I'd just be uninterested rather than repelled.  Go, meteorite!

• Love 2

I've made my peace with hating the Patriots, so I'm pretty calm and defeated when it comes to them winning; I've given up.  However, I go into a blinding rage whenever the Cowboys win a goddamn thing.  So yeah, I hope the Patriots kick their arses.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Well, I'm happy my 'Skins won today, and doubly happy for Dwayne Haskins.   Now we're 2-9.  😃  Since we're out of the playoffs I hope we can just have some fun. 

Aaaand the Steelers won.  It's a good day.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

If I forget who they are playing, this Dallas cavalcade of mistakes is art.

And as my husband pointed out, the rain is a good start to get that sinkhole action happening at Gillette to swallow both teams whole.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3