Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Also, Jameis’s very first pass under his rookie contract was a pick six.  Congrats for consistency!

I will never ever in one trillion billion years root for the Giants to lose.  I mean, ideally we could rely on Washington for some damn assistance.

But if this game holds and I know Dallas can watch the playoffs from Saquon Barkley’s couch?  Well I will sing “Fly Eagles Fly” as I walk down the driveway in the rain to take the Giants flags down for another year. 
I’m still going to root for Daniel Jones to go AWF in the second half, though.  Let’s not get crazy.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

As a Pats fan, it’s great to see that Flores is so promising. We honestly never knew much about him as he was a position coach until his last year here when he was the de facto defensive coordinator.

The Dolphins certainly are set up extremely well with the draft upcoming. Nearly two picks per round. It would be surprising if they’re not a strong contender very soon but it always comes down to finding your QB. There’s a draft simulator called On The Clock and it’s hilarious to draft as the Dolphins with their boatload of picks. 

6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

This is painful.  I never, ever root against my G-men, but they need to lose today in order for my most loathed team to go away.

There's no way I'm going to root for the Eagles against my guys, even to get rid of the Cowboys a week early (if Dallas does limp into the playoffs, they'll be one and done as nature intended).

In other news, I'm still laughing about the Patriots losing to the Dolphins.  I just saw one projection that had given New England a 26 percent chance of winning the AFC coming into today's game dropped in half to 13 percent, while Kansas City's chance went from 16 to 30 percent.  I'd rather the Chiefs than the Ravens, but as long as it's not the Patriots!

• Love 4

Chiefs Twitter is blowing up with KC fans announcing their donations to Ryan Fitzpatrick's charity (concussion research).

One of several favorite moments from today's game at Arrowhead:

In the last few minutes, Kevin Harlan (former Chiefs' play-by-play announcer) confirmed to Rich Gannon (former Chiefs' QB) that he was calling **both games -- the one in KC & the one at Foxboro.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Chiefs Twitter is blowing up with KC fans announcing their donations to Ryan Fitzpatrick's charity (concussion research).

One of several favorite moments from today's game at Arrowhead:

In the last few minutes, Kevin Harlan (former Chiefs' play-by-play announcer) confirmed to Rich Gannon (former Chiefs' QB) that he was calling **both games -- the one in KC & the one at Foxboro.

Kevin Harlan is a national treasure.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

There's no way I'm going to root for the Eagles against my guys, even to get rid of the Cowboys a week early (if Dallas does limp into the playoffs, they'll be one and done as nature intended).

I ended up rooting for the Giants, of course, and it did just as much good as it did in the other 11 losses this year.  🙄

For mojoween and all lovers of Big Blue, fuck Dall-ass. 

• Love 6

Kevin Harlan singlehandedly saved my remote control from blowing up as he gave me both games I was interested in.

Game balls to Harlan, FitzMagic, Chiefies,, sexy-eyes Aaron Rodgers, and every last damn duct-taped-together member of the Eagles!

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not convinced that Garrett will lose his job.  I wouldn't be shocked if the offensive coordinator will be let go and Garrett gets another contract.

Unless Garrett is Jerry's kid (Yeah, I see what I did there) there is no compelling reason to sign Garrett to a new deal.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Kitchens has been fired.

I am not convinced that Garrett will lose his job.  I wouldn't be shocked if the offensive coordinator will be let go and Garrett gets another contract.

It’s my belief he was fired, not for their record, but because he lost control of that locker room early on, and his off field issues/antics.

Rumor has Ron Rivera being tops in the runn8ng for DC.  He’d be great working with Dwayne and gett8ng some quality players in there.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, voiceover said:

I was listening to this live while watching the Chiefs game and it was amazing. Harlan's excitement was palpable and his broadcast partner had a hard time keeping up, lol. 

I'll admit to being a Cowboys fan, but of the players, not the coach or front office. I hope Garrett is finally gone and there is a coaching overhaul this off season. I feel like Prescott not having a contract all season contributed to part of things going so badly. 

Bring on the playoffs! I'm rooting for the Chiefs, Mahomes is from my hometown. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 2

Kevin Harlan is wonderful.  He does the preseason games for the Packers and he can make even those games exciting.  His dad is also a super nice guy - Bob Harlan, former president and CEO of the Packers.  I remember when Wayne Larrivee on the Packers Radio Network called 2 games at once - last game of the regular season in 2003 when the Vikes lost at Arizona on a last second play, which gave the Pack the division and knocked the VIkes out of the playoffs.  Wayne went back and forth between the 2 games, although the Packers were beating Denver handily that day, so he focused on the game in Arizona!  Pack fans at Lambeau reacted the same way the Chiefs fans did today - exultation.  

• Love 3

Holy shit, what a disappointing end to the Seahawks-49ers game.  That was a terrific second half comeback, but that delay of game penalty to move first and goal from the one to second and goal from the six was one of the stupidest mistakes I've seen in a while.  What were they even thinking?  Well, clearly not thinking, but someone among the many people whose job it is to think about such things should have been on the ball.

That was a bullshit non call for pass interference on 3rd down, though.  If not for that, and Seattle subsequently waiting for a booth review that didn't come, what might have happened?  We'll never know.  But what might have happened if not for that stupid-ass delay of game is the bigger question, and that's all on the Seahawks.

What a dramatic change from one season to the next for San Francisco.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

So you're saying that the Seahawks made the opponents' 1 yard line for a go ahead score but didn't make it in somehow? I find that hard to believe.

For some reason, I don't find that surprising.

Jerry Jones being very sad that his Cowboys are sitting home this postseason will always put a smile on my face. HA HA HA HA HA!!!  WE DEM BOYZ!! 

Those losers scored 47 points on them sorry Redskins (47-16) & it meant absolutely nothing because the Eagles took care of business today.

6 hours ago, roamyn said:

Kitchens has been fired.

Good. Now lets hope that he never gets another job in the NFL in any capacity ever again.

Edit - I have to get the final score right.

Edited by Magog
2 hours ago, Magog said:

Good. Now lets hope that he never gets another job in the NFL in any capacity ever again.

That’s kind of mean to say.  You hope someone never gets employed again in their profession, means you hope his family starves & goes homeless.  I hope you get let go, and never find another job.  Now, how does that feel?

Freddie was a good sub coach and decent OC.  He just doesn’t have the tough personality to be a HC.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, roamyn said:
2 hours ago, Magog said:

That’s kind of mean to say.  You hope someone never gets employed again in their profession, means you hope his family starves & goes homeless.  I hope you get let go, and never find another job.  Now, how does that feel?

Freddie was a good sub coach and decent OC.  He just doesn’t have the tough personality to be a HC.

Freddie Kickens makes Jason Garrett look like a genius in comparison. His incompetence reminds me of their last coach, Hue Jackson. At least, Kitchens didn't lead the Browns to the apex of NFL futility, 0-16. Kitchens also won 2 road games this season (something Hue Jackson never did (0-20)) Hopefully, their next coach (whoever it is) will be a big improvement. 

Showing OBJ the door in the offseason would also be a big help. Hopefully, they'll somehow find a way to ship him to the Dallas Cowboys where his attitude will fit right in with that team. Jerry Jones would definitely embrace someone like OBJ.

One firing has already happened. I wonder who else is going to get the ax. 

Edited by Magog

Jerry Jones will have the same problems with any coach as long as he insists on butting into every decision and letting his son run the team.  

He needs to back off, let the coaches coach, and shut the fuck up.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 5

LOVED the ending of 49-Seahawks.   Because OF COURSE, Pete Carroll wasn't going to hand the ball to Lynch for a run.   That would be admitting he was wrong years ago.   Carroll will never do that.   So they threw AGAIN -- with the same result.   Bwahahahahahahaha.

Harlan's call of the end of the Chiefs/Pats games was a thing of beauty.   He is so great at calling any games.   In a big moment he stepped it up.   Admitted he was calling both games.   His pure excitement when calling games is just so darn enjoyable.

Yes my Boys lost.   You can't be one and done in the Playoffs if you don't make it in the first place.   Besides, if they had somehow backed their way into division champs -- how do you fire the head coach?   Garrett needs to be gone.   His stupid clapping on the sidelines no matter what happens is why they suck.    They need a COACH, they have plenty of cheerleaders already.

• Love 3

The Browns were undisciplined all year, and I have to assume that culture came from the top.  I don’t know that he ever had control, and then the players clearly quit on him in these last few games.  He was not head coach material, unfortunately.  

• Love 2

Baker Mayfield has already killed two coaches.

I saw a note saying that the Browns have requested to speak with Josh McDaniels. I can't imagine that he would turn down the Indy job and then jump into the Browns mess. It would also be funny if he left after the worst offensive year in his Patriots tenure.

Edited by Fukui San
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Baker Mayfield has already killed two coaches.

baker did NOT kill Hue Jackson.  That HC was dead before Baker even got there.  And Greg Williams did well as interim HC, with Freddie calling the OC.

So, your statement makes no sense.

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Besides, if they had somehow backed their way into division champs -- how do you fire the head coach?

Easily.  See Schottenheimer, Marty:  coached the Chargers to 14-2, the best record in the league, went out in the playoffs, got fired.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was a Charger fan up until they moved.  Schottenheimer was able to build good teams for many franchises, but his teams would choke in the playoffs.  The Chargers probably should have won the SB in 2006 .  A Charger defensive back intercepted a Brady ball towards the end of the game.  If he drops to the ground the Chargers have the game sewn up.  He tried to advance the ball and fumbled it.

I remember that and I was even sadder for Marty's firing after the fact when a couple of days later, NFL Films showed him talking to that exact same player before the game telling him that if he got an interception or recovered a fumble, just go to the ground. I guess in the thick of the action one might forget that, but damn that was incredibly frustrating to learn.

Edited by Popples
clarity
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

According to this article, Mike Riley wanted to draft Tom Brady, but apparently Beathard said no.

Well, nobody on any team picked him until the sixth round, so it's not really on the Chargers.  And in fairness, if Drew Bledsoe hadn't gone down at the hands of Mo Lewis that day, none of us, including Tom Brady, might ever have seen the potential he had.  

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Popples said:

I remember that and I was even sadder for Marty's firing after the fact when a couple of days later, NFL Films showed him talking to that exact same player before the game telling him that if he got an interception or recovered a fumble, just go to the ground. I guess in the thick of the action one might forget that, but damn that was incredibly frustrating to learn.

I felt the same as a Cleveland fan.

It wasn’t his fault Earnest Byner fumbled the bull at the Denver 1-yd line, tho I will admit his defense wasn’t prepared the previous year when we gave up 97 yards to those same Elway Broncos, resulting in “The Drive”.

Both times that sent Denver to the SB.

We always get stuck w/shitty owners.  First Modell, now the Haslams.

• Love 2

To the surprise of no one, Ron Rivera hired as new Washington Redskins coach

Ron Rivera called his shot in early December and sank it before the end of the month.

Rivera, who was fired in early December by the Carolina Panthers and told reporters before he left "I will coach again," landed his next head coaching job about as soon as possible, become the latest in charge of the Washington Redskins. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Michael Silver reported Rivera's deal is for five years.

• Love 6

The Haslams have now parted ways w/John Dorsey.

FUUUUCK!

Yes, 20/20 hindsight says promoting Freddie as HC was a big mistake, but come on!  Dorsey’s done more good than flubs.

Who’s gonna want the Browns job?  No one.  I’m at the point where Dan Snyder & Jerry Jones are better owners that the Haslams.

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, morriss said:

How long is Jason "The Clapper" Garrett going to keep his job??  👏

It does not take 2 very long meetings to fire someone.   Either he is showing Jerry all the blackmail pictures he has of Jerry with prostitutes (there would be a lot of those) or Jerry the GM is trying to explain to Garrett exactly what he has to do to keep his job and Garrett is nodding his head and clapping.  

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

In Garrett’s case it wouldn’t technically be a firing,

.His contract just ran out, and JJ might not decide to re-sign him.

I’d love Urban in Cleveland, but I don’t think his health allows it.  I’m sure Shelley wouldn’t.

13 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Cleveland has fired their GM. 

It sounds like it was somewhat mutual in that the Haslams wanted to say the GM didn't get the final say in things and Dorsey had no interest in that structure.

9 hours ago, roamyn said:

No one.  I’m at the point where Dan Snyder & Jerry Jones are better owners that the Haslams.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying Snyder is better the the Haslams are quietly working their way to be on par with him.

8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I hope Urban Meyer gets the job.  I think he could change the culture of that franchise, and would be an excellent choice.  Of course that means that ownership is going to have to let things play out over several years and give a new coach and GM a chance to do their thing.

I guess I don't know Urban Meyer well enough but what does he have that would change the culture of this franchise? I know he has had success in the college ranks but that doesn't always translate to the NFL.  In addition, he had multiple players arrested while he was head coach in FL.  He was also investigating for not acting on knowing about the domestic violence of one of his assistants at OH State. There were also accusations that he ran a cliqueish locker room. While none of those disqualify him from a coach in the NFL (although I wish it would but such is the NFL), I don't think that background would make him right for Cleveland with the personalities it has.

And I don't know why he'd be the one to make the Haslams realize they'd need to sit back and let it ride.  Very few teams in the NFL are willing to do that and the Haslams even less.  They've been through five coaches and five GMs in the 9 or so years they've owned the team. 

John Dorsey was actually supposed to be the Haslams "getting serious" hire. He was the one who was going to get the time to build a winning franchise and bring the stability his previous teams had that the Browns did not. 

7 hours ago, roamyn said:

His contract just ran out, and JJ might not decide to re-sign him.

His contract runs out on Jan. 14th but not making a decision before then doesn't do him or Jerry Jones any good.  It severely hampers Jason's ability to look for more work if he's not going to be in Dallas.  And it hampers Jerry's ability to look for his next coach. I know he thinks his job is the best job out there but some of his preferred candidates may take other positions by the time Jason's contract runs out.

• Love 1

Good job, Browns. Fire the guy who has a proven track record of drafting the right guys, simply because you all bowed to your QB when he said he wanted that incompetent oaf as his head coach. Way to Browns it up, as usual.

Meanwhile, Washington gets rid of one of their worst people, in Bruce Allen, but there's no way to get rid of the even worse Dan Snyder. And the Cowboys are stuck with Jerry Jones, holding them back, forever. If there's one thing I'd put money on, it's Jerry choosing the exact wrong person to be the next head coach.

I guess I take it for granted that my Ravens are one of the best run organisations, from top to bottom, in the league. I shouldn't. But there's a real chance here that Baltimore can build itself a dynasty, over the next three or four years. I really, really hope they succeed, and that they successfully challenge a lot of the tired, old boys' network way of thinking.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

IMO, Dorsey did a horrible job.

He hired a head coach that wasn't prepared to be a head coach.

Bringing in OBJ was a horrible idea.  He comes off as a needy veteran.  Plus it cost them a lot to acquire him.

The Browns offensive line is a mess.

They drafted Mayfield far too high.

They drafted a quarterback that after two seasons still hasn't grownup.  I am trying to cut Baker some slack, but he seems to feel the need to respond to every critic instead of ignoring them.  He reportedly was arguing with Bengals' fans I think before the last game of the season.

A list of the players John Dorsey has drafted, as a GM in the NFL:

For KC:

Tyreek Hill

Travis Kelce

Kareem Hunt

Chris Jones

Marcus Peters

Dee Ford

Eric Fisher

Pat Mahomes

For the Browns:

Mack Wilson

Greedy Williams

Nick Chubb

Baker Mayfield

Denzel Ward

That is not the draft list of a GM who doesn't know what he's doing. He's the first GM the Browns have had in the last fifteen years who seemed to have a clue how to do any part of his job correctly.

• Love 4

So for the third time in six years the greedy, soulless owner of the local FOX station has taken their toys and gone home, so we do not have FOX.  I’m already pissed about losing this weekends playoffs, but the Super Bowl is on FOX this year.  And changing from Verizon to another carrier won’t work because the station owner does this to everyone.  It sucks.

9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

IMO, Dorsey did a horrible job.

He hired a head coach that wasn't prepared to be a head coach.

I agree that he made the wrong coaching choice but he has always been able to evaluate talent.  A better coach could likely could have brought the people he drafted and free agents he signed together better. 

Basically, I think he has more strengths than weaknesses and at some point, the owners are going to have to give their hires more than two years to bring something together.  

And it's the Haslams, not the fan base, who control the situation.  The fan base might be willing to embrace Urban Meyer but if he doesn't win?  These owners aren't going to care even if the fan base is willing to stay with him a little longer.