Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Ron Rivera and Jack del Rio in Washington is fucking terrifying.

What position did Del Rio take? I just saw his name and Redskins in the crawl, but didn't see the details. 

11 hours ago, mojoween said:

So for the third time in six years the greedy, soulless owner of the local FOX station has taken their toys and gone home, so we do not have FOX.  I’m already pissed about losing this weekends playoffs, but the Super Bowl is on FOX this year.  And changing from Verizon to another carrier won’t work because the station owner does this to everyone.  It sucks.

I know it wouldn't be the same as watching it on a big screen, but can you at least stream it on Fox Sports online?

24 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I know it wouldn't be the same as watching it on a big screen, but can you at least stream it on Fox Sports online?

Unfortunately we cannot because you have to sign in to the app with your TV provider.  Last time they did this we were able to watch FOX deportes.

36 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Unfortunately we cannot because you have to sign in to the app with your TV provider.  Last time they did this we were able to watch FOX deportes.

Now I'm grasping at straws, but maybe a friend or family member from out of town would share their TV login with you just this once.  Nothing to say they're not a loyal customer watching the game while visiting away from their home area.

Edited by meowmommy
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Last time they did this we were able to watch FOX deportes.

So you could watch on FOX Deportes with the sound muted if you don't speak Spanish and then stream the radio broadcast avoiding to Aikman and Buck.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I work in this industry (on the provider side) and yeah, the content owners really lock down their stuff. It's all in the contracts, and the networks themselves like FOX back up the local affiliates.  Under no circumstance can the provider simply switch over to the Ithaca feed when the Albany affiliate demands to get a 85% increase from $2.75 per month to $4.25 per month.  (Those are real numbers by the way, and what kind of industry expects to get 85% increases when there is absolutely nothing different between the product on 12/31/2019 and 01/01/2020 other than broadcast TV?)

With any luck your local guy will back off a little on the price, you'll get the network back before you miss anything good, and your bill goes up by another $1.50.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

I think Crazy Jerrah (the used car dealer!) is negotiating with Howdy Doody to get him to promise, for a price, NOT to coach for any team in the 'Boyzesz division.

I read that, too, but really, given Garrett's clearly stellar track record, what would Jerruh be worried about?  And Doug Pedersen's not going anywhere, Snyder just hired Rivera, so that leaves the Giants, who need another mediocre coach like they need a hole in the head.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I think Crazy Jerrah (the used car dealer!) is negotiating with Howdy Doody to get him to promise, for a price, NOT to coach for any team in the 'Boyzesz division.

Heh.  This theory makes a lot of sense.  Jason knows all the dirt after all his years as backup QB and coach.  The Giants would be a natural landing place since Jason Garrett went to Princeton.  Jerry wants Jason in Cleveland or Carolina.

Edited by nittanycougar
3 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Really? Del Rio has bounced around the league for a while. Rivera is solid, but not great.

Both good points, but they are both very stable guys who are going to give Washington what it has been missing.

Although, as Dan LeBatard pointed out, they couldn’t make it work on Joe Gibbs’s second go-round and Kyle Shanahan flourished when he left, so what do I know.

56 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Both good points, but they are both very stable guys who are going to give Washington what it has been missing.

Although, as Dan LeBatard pointed out, they couldn’t make it work on Joe Gibbs’s second go-round and Kyle Shanahan flourished when he left, so what do I know.

Altho Gibbs had one foot in the racing game, so his attentions were probably frayed.

• Love 2

While I would LOVE to see the Bills make the Superbowl I know that isn't going to happen. I feel like they got this far on sheer luck. Josh Allen doesn't impress me and I feel like the team is just o.k. I really hope that in the post season they work on their weaknesses and that they work with Allen on how to get rid of the ball sooner. 

On the topic of the Cowboys(calling them the cowgirls is just STUPID) I think Jerry is either trying to get Garrett to take another job or waiting until his contract expires so that he can say he didn't actually "fire" Garrett.  Jerry's ego is so massive that I can see him screwing over his team to save face. Just so he can have a press conference stating that the contract ran out and they decided mutually to part ways. This way nobody can say something like "I thought you would never fire him. I thought he was the golden boy." No matter what the scenario finding a new head coach is going to be tough. I know that people say coaching for The Cowboys is a great feather in your cap but I don't think that's the case so much anymore. The team hasn't been good in AGES & they aren't looked at favorably anymore. Also coaching under Jerry is a bitch. The mans ego is bigger than his new stadium & he does nothing but micromanage. 

One team that needs a MAJOR shake-up is the Giants. They need a new GM for one. They also need a new offense & a new quarterback. Whoever they hire as a coach he needs to be good at firing up the talent that they DO have ie: Saquon Barkley. 

• Love 3

Say what you will about Jerry but the job is stable.   You can move your family and have some hope of a stable life for them.   You won't be one and done.   Even Chan Gailey stuck around for a while.   

Jack Del Rio is one of those "this is war" kinda coaches.   He does the petty discipline stuff.   Remember the axe in the stump in the locker room?   Of course Ron Rivera is not much better.   He already removed the ping pong table from the locker room.   Because playing ping pong is why the team sucked.   Remember him not starting Cam Newton one game because he wore a shirt that you couldn't wear a tie with on the team bus?   They were losing a lot of games at that point, so naturally he had to crack down.   On clothing.   And starting the back up didn't help them win games.    Too many coaches focus on that stuff, instead of, you know, practicing plays over and over in practice until they are mistake free.   If you let mistakes slide in practice because "it's just practice" they won't get it right on Sunday either.   

• Love 2
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

If you let mistakes slide in practice because "it's just practice" they won't get it right on Sunday either.   

I get uncomfortable when coaches enforce rules on clothing over players because it strikes me as a 'know your place, boy' kind of mentality. Given the vastly unequal balance of who is in coaching positions, you'd think someone would be more self-aware.

Being clear that you expect everyone to be on time for practice, or turning off your cell phones in a meeting, is fair to make sure everyone is focused.

5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Jack Del Rio is one of those "this is war" kinda coaches.

I'm continually confused as to why management thinks this kind of mentality is successful anymore. It just isn't. These players are professionals and it's their job. But with the freedom (which I support) they have to move to different teams to do what's right for them, this just seems unproductive. That doesn't mean you shouldn't strive to be disciplined on the field.

Then again, I don't think many owners really *want* to invest enough to have a consistently winning product which is why you see the same coaches being trotted out all the time, or the off chance a new coach actually gets a shot, he's got way too short of a leash and doesn't have the commitment from the franchise.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I get uncomfortable when coaches enforce rules on clothing over players because it strikes me as a 'know your place, boy' kind of mentality. Given the vastly unequal balance of who is in coaching positions, you'd think someone would be more self-aware.

Is expecting players to follow rules really any different than enforcing a dress code in a standard place of business?  And even more so because the athletes are so much in the public eye and the teams have an image they want to project.  Now, what that dress code should include is certainly open to discussion, as well as what the penalties for an infraction should be.  I'm not sure sitting someone down for not wearing a tie is helpful to anyone.

13 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Then again, I don't think many owners really *want* to invest enough to have a consistently winning product which is why you see the same coaches being trotted out all the time, or the off chance a new coach actually gets a shot, he's got way too short of a leash and doesn't have the commitment from the franchise.

The NFL is somewhat unique in that you can run a vastly unsuccessful franchise on the field and still make money.  In the real world, an owner who consistently puts out an inferior product would soon be out of business.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 2

I would likely resign from my position if a dress code were enforced. You can leave it up to me as to how I think I should present myself because I'm a professional and an adult.

I'm also just philosophically opposed to ties. People only wear them because people wear them. The world will continue on if no one decided to wear a tie that day. I don't like sport jackets either. They never fit me right.

• Love 3

I wish the NFC games were today instead of tomorrow; I'm not getting up early to see the Vikings vs Saints game from the start, and if it aired today it would start at 1:30 and I wouldn't have to.

I have no dog in the race between Bills and Texans, but of course I will be a one-day fervent fan of the Titans; if they knock the Patriots out in the Wild Card round, I'll still be laughing next weekend.  Hell, I'll still be laughing at the start of next season.

On the NFC side, I have actual rooting to do -- Saints over Vikings and Seahawks over Eagles.  I feel good about the Saints; it's in the Superdome and it's payback for the Minneapolis Miracle.  The Seahawks I'm a little unsure about; whoever wins isn't going far, so it's not a big deal long-term, but of course I'd like the Eagles dispatched with quickly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Wowowowow I cannot lie...the playoffs commercial they played during halftime gave me chills.  The NFL does some things wrong but promotes itself very very well.

Also I have no idea what is happening in the game with no time off the clock in the second half.  Bananas.

This game is making me so nervous. It’s been eons since I’ve seen the Bills win a playoff game and they look good so far but I’ve been disappointed for so long.

Sigh....

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Definitely a more secure job than Cleveland.

There is a meme floating around that is a PSA saying everytime the Browns fire their head coach, don’t forget to change your air filter.

• LOL 11

I don't care about either team, but this Bills-Texans game got interesting.  I guess I'm rooting for the Texans in OT, because I enjoy seeing the home team crowd react to a comeback win in a big game.  (Well, unless it's in Dallas or Foxborough, of course.)

• Love 9

I don’t hate Houston, and I was really rooting for the Bills because it’s the law in Central New York, but DeShaun Watson is so fun and he beat Alabama once and that escape from the sure sack was wow.
The game was beyond crazy because it was really good at times and so unbelievably bad in others. 

• Love 6

That was a really good game and start for the Wild Card Weekend. It was a fun game and was pretty exciting in the late part of it. A good comeback by the Texans, capped off with an impressive play by Deshaun avoiding being sacked and moving them down the field for the win. 

I think that inexperience and his nerves got to Josh Allen. He had a nice start, but things came undone in the fourth quarter when he and the Bills ended up making some bad/costly decisions. This loss ended up being heartbreaking for the Bills, the look on Josh's face towards the end said it all.

But in spite of what ended up happening in today's game he and the Bill still had a good season. And I think that the future is promising for them. Especially as things start to slow down in New England. Hopefully, he will learn from this experience and they will be back in the playoffs and will do some winning. 

The Texans are now on to the next round. I do think they may lose in it. I could see them struggling again like they did in the first half of this game. (And like they have in the past).

• Love 6

Now for Pats/Titans. I just hope that the Titans don't embarrass themselves. Especially since everyone outside of New England is pulling for them.

Edited by Sew Sumi
How did Pats get an apostrophe?
  • Love 5

I couldn't tolerate the ESPN announcing crew - finally had to mute the TV during the 4th quarter and OT.   Booger McFarland is terrible.  Did I miss him explaining that a playoff game can't end in a tie?  After all, that's the type of obviousness he considers analysis.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6