Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I always thought there was something "weird" about Kirk Cousins but I can't explain why.  I don't dislike him, but I'm glad he's gone from the Redskins and I don't begrudge him going to the Vikings.  Of course, any athlete who leaves any Washington sports team usually does better when they go to another team.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

But if those employees aren't good at their jobs they would get canned, and if that company wasn't succeeding that company would be out of business. 

You can get fired in the NFL too. 

But the philosophy behind a ping pong table is that football players will spend down time with one another and develop chemistry.  Remove the fun stuff and what would I do as a player?  Go home during the times I'm not absolutely required to be in the building.

7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Fans can vote with their pocketbooks and opt not to fill Jerry World.  

Sure but if fans are going to give up on the team because they keep Jason Garrett as a head coach, then interviewing other coaches for a few days while ultimately keeping him on does absolutely nothing to prevent fans from voting with their pocket books.

10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The Cowboys are the most popular team in the NFL, and it isn't close.  All of the sports talk shows wouldn't be talking abut them constantly if they weren't.

I actually see that as a byproduct of their success in the 90s which most sports radio guys witnessed and it becomes a circle.

14 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I take back my earlier comment about today's games perhaps lacking the excitement of yesterday's. This Saints/Vikings game is good and close.

It is. I hate the Vikings so I want them to lose. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Honestly, if a coach feels the need to suspend a player for wearing a turtleneck or take away the ping pong table in order to achieve "discipline", they're an absolutely awful leader.

I'm assuming between film study, actual practice, team meetings, the day in and day out for a player is likely 10 hours average? They're probably not all going to be sent home for lunch, and there's likely a half hour break or an hour here and there. What are they supposed to do? If you are in fact a good leader, you want to schedule time where the team *isn't* thinking about football. Play some ping pong. I bet some of them play xbox or cards.

I work upwards of 9 hours a day and I go home for lunch because I live close. It's a huge help to get through the day to relax and not think for even 45 minutes.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

If you are in fact a good leader, you want to schedule time where the team *isn't* thinking about football.

Case in point, Clemson's new football facility. It has a putt putt golf course, beach volleyball court, basketball court, bowling alley, arcade etc. and a ping pong table. 

Pretty sure it hasn't hurt team discipline.

• Love 4

Vikings/NO game is going well so far. I was concerned about Thielen after is early flubs but he got over it and is playing just fine. Diggs has not had a ball yet. I wonder if they're saving him for the final play. Cook is doing great!

I started this post earlier but forgot to save it.

Anyhow, hurray! Looks like I'm the only one here happy for a Vikings win. Hurray! Kirk can win a big game! Glad Rudy caught that last touchdown.

• Love 2

I understand the defense deserves all the blame, but the NFL already changed OT rules once.  No reason they can’t add a codicil that both teams get the ball at least once no matter fucking what.

• Love 7

Minneapolis Miracle Part Deaux !!!  Wow, another great ending and SKOL!

I am SO happy because now all evil teams are gone, and whoever wins the Super Bowl, I will buy their commemorative coffee mug!  The Cheaters gone yesterday and the BountyGate-ers gone today!

• Love 2

This is my dream scenario: 

Philadelphia wins today. Then they beat Green Bay next week.

Vikings beat San Francisco next week. So then there is a rematch of the NFC championship game and Vikings win. That will show those Eagles fans who were heckling and throwing things the Vikings fans 2 years ago.

I have to say, though, that the Philly fans who came to the Super Bowl were nice and more fun than the Patriots fans. I was a SB volunteer on game day and greeted a lot of fans as they went through the skyway to the game.

I know it's dumb but I love when games are on NBC and they have the players introduce themselves and say which school they went to. I swear someone on the Seahawks said his elementary school name!

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

Pats out, Saints out.

Best Wild Card Weekend, ever. 

I was rooting against the Vikings out of principle.  Plus, I kind of wanted to see NO in Green Bay.  I know a lot of people felt like NO would be a tough match up for GB but I think GB would fare better against NO then some think.  Even though other teams play in domes, NO just feels to me like an ultimate dome team.

Plus, I think Seattle can beat San Fran.

So far, that's three road teams winning.  Will Seattle make it 4?

Edited by Irlandesa

Oy.   The Aints are out.  The Pats are out.   Now if the Seahawks can go out I will be happy (I can't stand Russell Wilson and his "everyone underestimates me" attitude while everyone slobbers about how great he is.)    Also Pete Carroll can take a flying leap.   

Next week will be interesting now.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Case in point, Clemson's new football facility. It has a putt putt golf course, beach volleyball court, basketball court, bowling alley, arcade etc. and a ping pong table. 

Plus a nap room, a giant slide and snacks!

On topic: My teams (Broncos and Panthers) didn't make it into the playoffs so I'm just glad the games have been close and competitive. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Foles played well enough in 2017.

Sure he did but the Eagles had the #1 seed because of what Wentz did before he got hurt and people seem to forget that.

In other news Clowney hit Wentz helmet to helmet  and Wentz is now out Josh McCown is now in . The refs didnt call it because of course they didn't. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Per the halftime report, Jason Garrett finally officially got the boot.

I wonder if they're going to hire Mike McCarthy.  Reportedly, he stayed overnight after his interview yesterday.  And allegedly the Cowboys had interest in Zimmer if the Vikings fired him but that's unlikely to happen this season after the win.

• Useful 1

Well my dream scenario is busted. But maybe Vikings advancing and Eagles losing is a better revenge. Well I'll cheer for Seattle against Packers next week.

So 3 wild cards advanced? 

4 hours ago, emma675 said:

I know it's dumb but I love when games are on NBC and they have the players introduce themselves and say which school they went to. I swear someone on the Seahawks said his elementary school name!

I heard it., too and he did indeed give a shout out to his grade school. I  wish the rest of the team had followed his lead.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

“Being injury-prone” and “being injured” are not the same, and I am looking forward to the network special of all the tough guys on Twitter and sports radio who called Carson Wentz soft getting plowed by a full speed Jadeveon Clowney.

• Love 6

The Cowboys have been popular and ratings gold since the 70s when they went on their Super Bowl runs then.    The term "America's Team" dates from one of their years in the 1970s when NFL Films needed a title for the season highlight reel.   

Then there are the cheerleaders.    In the 70s, at one game, a cameraman focused on a cheerleader.   She didn't know what to do, so she winked.   A frenzy was born.   They even had a made for tv movie about them starring Connie Selleca.   

But trust Jerry Jones to somehow mess that all up.   

• Love 3
15 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Man, New Orleans must've made a deal with the devil for that SB title in 2010, 'cause they've had it pretty rough since then. 

As a Colts fan I've been saying that for 9 years.

13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I will laugh hysterically if somehow McCown leads the Eagles to another SB win. 

McCown, Tannehill, Cousins.  3 names no one would ever think were on the road to the SB.

I found myself rooting for the Vikings! I guess I'm a sucker for an underdog. Then Kirk was kind of a stone-walling doofus in the on-field interview, plus he talked about the lord, and I was like, oh yeah, I don't really care for this guy. ...Damn I'm fickle. 

I love how every single one of the announcers picked the Saints by a big margin and basically gave the Vikings zero chance of winning, then in the post game show they never mention this and act like the Vikings winning made perfect sense to them. 

Seahawks/Eagles was not looking to be a great game even before Wentz went. Gotta feel sorry for the guy. He seems as cursed as the Saints. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Cowboys are the most popular team in the NFL, and it isn't close.  All of the sports talk shows wouldn't be talking abut them constantly if they weren't.

Some of their loser fans bragged about how we can't stop talking about the Cowboys because of their popularity. They care more about the Cowboys being talked about than them winning football games. 

Speaking of Dem Boyz, Mike McCarthy is going to be their new coach. I can't wait to see him fail for the Cowboys like he mostly did for the Packers. That Super Bowl win he somehow got (2010) with the Packers felt like a long time ago.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Packers home field advantage isn't much of an advantage and Rodgers isn't the QB he once was.  I think Seattle wins.

I agree, Rodgers is showing his age a bit.  He's been off target a lot this season.  However, he doesn't have Jordy Nelson, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, and James Jones at WR.  He has Davante Adams and a bunch of guys.  Perhaps what will make the difference next Sunday is not the offenses, but which defense plays better.

I wish Mike McCarthy well.  It will be a little different going from Green Bay to working for Jerry Jones!  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The term "America's Team" dates from one of their years in the 1970s when NFL Films needed a title for the season highlight reel.   

Rozelle originally offered the title to the Steelers. Art Rooney declined, responding that they were the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I was really rooting for Team Wawa.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I wish Mike weren't going to a team I hate because I do like him and feel he was quite successful in Green Bay.  In fact,  I was one who didn't think he should have been fired and I would have liked to see what he would have done with some of the offseason defensive additions. 

But he will have a very different ownership/GM experience. 

Edited by Irlandesa
36 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Man alive it doesn’t seem like McCarthy even gave the Giants a chance.  Pfffffft.

I've been reading about Matt Rhule, and if the Giants end up going with him, I would be happy. He seems to check off the the things I think are important. At the top of the list is that he's a good man, a good leader, and most importantly he's a good CEO. 

I'm starting to think that if it's not Rhule, the Giants are going to end up with their third or fourth choice. 

There's lots of talk of Brady not retiring and returning to the Pats or some other team.  My question is:

WHY???

What does he have to prove?  That he's not a quarterback who throws a pick-six on the final play of his career? It's going to end some day and however it truly ends, it won't take away not one bit from his goat legacy. In fact, nothing will (sorry, triple negative. lol).

Exactly how many Super Bowls rings, MVP awards, All Pro accolades does he need?

There's something a bit psychotic about still trying to prove something.  Prove what?  He's already proven everybody wrong a million times over.  The pick-six doesn't change that.

Just saying...

• Love 4

I kind of liken Tom Brady to Roger Federer. Roger is 40ish, and was/is the GOAT. He used to win a high percentage of the tennis championships. Over last couple years, he has "only" won a few. Now, he may never win another as better, younger players emerge. And his old rivals Rafa and Novak might overtake some of his stats even. But he is still an amazing player who ends up in the quarter or semi finals just about every tournament. And he loves the game. So why should he retire? For most players that result would be considered wildly successful. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, solarfire said:

There's lots of talk of Brady not retiring and returning to the Pats or some other team.  My question is:

WHY???

Just a guess, (I don't know the guy) but I think it's because he is extraordinarily competitive. Even for world class athletes. He lives for it.

I think he is like Michael Jordan. They are both deeply defined by what they perceive as people telling them what they can't do. 

I don't know what Brady is going to do, but I do remember "WTF? Jordan is returning to play with the Wizards?"

It's part of what makes them great.

• Love 7