Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Sorry Lamb at the turn of events.

I hope the rest of the weekend does not mirror this game or it’s going to be very boring.

Thanks, SF is just better but they shouldn't have done that cheap helmet to the chest to our guy. Besides being wrong, it didn't serve any purpose. Just heard that our guy has a concussion from that cheap shot.

We just need a touchdown from Linvall Joseph. Then another from Anthony Harris. Then maybe a punt return for a touchdown by Sherels.

By the way, Joseph and Harris are on defense. Our offense can't do anything.

Edited by Lamb18
  • LOL 1
45 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

San Francisco is in another league from the other teams we played this season. I think they will win next week's game. I think a SF/Baltimore Super Bowl would be pretty good.

The 49ers have disappointed me so many times, I can't get my hopes up.

1 hour ago, twoods said:

Just wow to the score right now. I wouldn’t have thought that the Ravens would lay an egg playing the Titans.

I can't believe this; I thought the AFC was Baltimore's to lose, but I certainly didn't think they would go ahead and lose it.  I know there's still more than a quarter left to play, but they'll have to completely transform to get it done and I honestly don't see it happening, especially with Tennessee just tacking on seven more.  Wow. 

I was rooting for the 49ers only because I don't like (don't hate, but don't like) the Vikings and because I'd love the NFC championship to be a San Francisco/Seattle rematch.  Seahawks/Green Bay is going to be a good game, I think.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 1/9/2020 at 4:44 PM, icemiser69 said:

The best option is the Colts.  They have it all.   It would be like a modern day Green Acres.  Gisele in the role of Eva Gabor.

I get it!!!!  Because all people in Indianapolis live on a farm.

I don't understand why Flyover Country would ever avoid this thread.

• Love 3

That was a great win by Tennessee. And the biggest upset of these playoffs so far.  Taking down the #1 Baltimore Ravens. After already eliminating the Patriots. They really have been impressive during the second half of the postseason and now in the playoffs. Mike Vrabel has been doing an excellent job of coaching them and playing good effective football.

A big part of that is Derrick Henry who continues to have a major role on their team. Derrick continued to be impressive, tonight, including the nice looking jump pass TD that he threw. The Titans have been working hard and have definitely earned the right to continue forward in these playoffs. I wonder how far they will end up going. 

The Ravens OTOH were very disappointing tonight. They didn't have much energy and didn't seem prepared for this game. I do think that them resting 3 weeks, (Week 17, plus the first round bye could be a contributing factor into why they looked rusty tonight. They weren't very effective tonight and didn't really run the ball well. Lamar Jackson passed over 50 times and I definitely don't think they had intended for him to do that. They just couldn't get much going tonight. A disappointing ending to an otherwise great season for them. 

Also, I am glad to see the 49ers advance. They had a really nice game tonight.  While I think that the extra rest may have hurt the Ravens, I do think the rest that the 49ers got did them some good. They were able to get some players back in healthier shape and that helped them in their dominant win over the Vikings. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3
On 1/4/2020 at 9:35 PM, NUguy514 said:

I can now turn all my attention toward cursing the Ravens.  I don't think I'm that powerful, but one never knows!

I'm sorry, you guys, but I am...incredibly powerful!

giphy.gif

• LOL 12
  • Love 3

Mike Vrabel was a first year coordinator of the last ranked defense in the league the year he was hired as Titans' HC. 

It's almost as if coordinating a unit and being a head coach are two entirely separate skill sets.

With Baltimore going down, the last team I really dislike is gone.  I'd like to see KC get the ring, but I won't be upset if one of the other remaining teams holds the trophy.  Usually I'm left with matchups like Patriots-Eagles where I wish they could both lose.

Tennessee certainly has chosen the right time to peak, starting with their big win in week 17.  They made the high-flying Ravens look silly.  

3 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I do think that them resting 3 weeks, (Week 17, plus the first round bye could be a contributing factor into why they looked rusty tonight.

In 2012, the Packers were 15-1, with Aaron Rodgers sitting out the last game, and looked horribly rusty against the 9-7 Giants, who went on to a second beating of the Pats.

• Love 2

I don’t think anyone can stop Henry. If they do, they will beat Tannehill since he had another game with less than 100 yards and won. Unbelievable. Too bad Baltimore abandoned their running game. I know Ingram was hurt but still. 

• Love 1

I thought I was going to root for Baltimore, being an AFC North team and all, but I kept finding myself rooting for the Titans.

The Patriots, and the Ravens?!  Wow, just...wow.  I don’t understand how the Ravens got over 500 yrds offense?  They looked incredibly plodding and uninspired.  And Lamaar has reverted back to being last year’s fumble & interception prone rookie.  IMO his mistakes were the main reason they lost.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, twoods said:

The offense is terrible and the defense is tired because of it. Why are they abandoning their running game and relying on a second year QB? This is making me so mad.

A second year QB?  You mean the league MVP?

8 hours ago, Jx223 said:

I do think that them resting 3 weeks, (Week 17, plus the first round bye could be a contributing factor into why they looked rusty tonight.

Yep.    THEY (you know the "They" that say everything) say you don't want to risk your players getting hurt in a meaningless game when already have the #1 seed and a bye.   BUT, that means they don't practice much for week 17.   I doubt there were hard practices during the bye week, probably meetings and film study.   Then suddenly they are supposed to be ON for the big game?   Nope, nope, nope.    The changes of a player getting hurt are there, but I am sure someone can compute the chances.   Versus being rusty and out of sync.   I'll take the risk.   

Although I wonder if Harbaugh gets conservative in his play calling and plays not to lose in the playoffs.    When Tannehill threw that 46 yarder on first down, RIGHT after getting the ball, not even moving down the field first, my hubby was all "Go big or go home."   That's the playoffs right there.   

49ers looked good.   Shanahan brought those guys to PLAY.   I can live with a Montana Bowl.

As for Coach Cowher getting into the Hall, I watched that clip of him being told over and over and over and over.   That was great.    Dan Baker  "I looked for a door to knock on, but you didn't have one."   "I can leave" when Coach Cowher told him this was not the time.   Coach was truly honored.  The Chin deserves it.

• Love 6

The “we are resting X player so they don’t get hurt” idea drives me bonkers.  He could walk out of the shower, slip and bash his face in.  Anyone can get hurt, anytime.

Saying that someone might get hurt in a meaningless game makes NO SENSE because they can just as easily get hurt in the next meaningful game they play after the meaningless one.  Players need to play, or they get rusty.  I’ll never understand it.

• Love 6

Rumor has it Kevin Stefanski will be the next up in the Brownies coaching carousel.

He was a finalist last year.  Would’ve preferred Bienamyi or Saleh or Urban (that’s not happening), but TG it’s not McDaniels.

Oof. The Ravens just did not look fired up. They didn't seem to have it in them to respond once they realized it wasn't going to be easy. I also did not appreciate Lamar acting all "what is going on" like he wasn't part of the meltown.  At least my Steelers friends will have a good time bagging on me. 

All in all a pretty boring day of football yesterday. I do hope today will be more exciting.

15 hours ago, Popples said:

Congratulations Coach Cowher! 

Given the endless coaching carousel on almost every other team, it's fascinating to me that the Steelers have had three coaches in 50 years, and two of them are in the HoF.

That said, I'll probably piss off Steeler fans, but I don't see Cowher's tenure as a HoF career.  Good career, certainly, but not great.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Rumor has it Kevin Stefanski will be the next up in the Brownies coaching carousel.

He was a finalist last year.  Would’ve preferred Bienamyi or Saleh or Urban (that’s not happening), but TG it’s not McDaniels.

I just saw a CBS Sports announcement that Kevin Stefanski is the new Cleveland head coach. Good for him, he is a good guy, but I'll miss him as OC for the Vikings. I met him at Vikings Women Football Camp last May. He did a session on Offense and we went through drills, etc. I got a picture with him. I wish him well and that he has better success than Freddie Kittens. 

Then comes the puzzle of who will be next OC for the Vikings. I feel like there are two options at hand: 1) ask Pat Shurmur if he wants his old job back, and 2) maybe Kubiak would take it. I like 2) better because Kubiak is already here, it's whether or not he wants it. 

I haven't really followed the Browns, but Kevin has coached about every offensive position so he will bring a lot of that knowledge to the team. I wonder if he will take any Vikings coaches with him. 

It is true: his Wikipedia already calls him the Cleveland head coach.

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

That said, I'll probably piss off Steeler fans, but I don't see Cowher's tenure as a HoF career.  Good career, certainly, but not great.

There was actually a lot of debate about that in Pittsburgh when he got nominated. 

• Love 1

The Ravens looked totally unprepared for the game.  They could not handle adversity at all.  Ultimately, this has to fall on John Harbaugh.  At one point during the game when he looked so befuddled by their awful play I thought maybe JIm was taking his place on the sidelines, since that was a look seen in a lot during Michigan games this year.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Not that it was on that level, but throughout the game I had flashbacks to Miracle, and Harbaugh’s look at the end reminded me of the Russian coach’s befuddlement when USA won that hockey game.  I could hear Herb’s gleeful “He doesn’t know what to do!” in my head.

• Love 1

If this holds, next week the Houston Texans, who were birthed from nowhere, will host the Tennessee Titans, who replaced the Houston Oilers, for a chance for Ryan Tannehill to play in the Super Bowl in Miami, where he used to play, and who also who beat New England which allowed Tennessee to have to play New England in the playoffs.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Holy moly, already 21-0!  As I asked about the Ravens last night, can the Chiefs recover? I hate them, so I hope not. 😁

It's still the first quarter so technically, yes they can. There's plenty of time left and they have a QB who can thrown. 

Will they recover? I don't know.  I think it will depend on what happens after half time and more importantly, how the Texans handle it if/when KC gets their feet under them.   Do they tighten up or continue to play loose?

In other news, Julian Edelman was arrested for vandalism

24 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If this holds, next week the Houston Texans, who were birthed from nowhere, will host the Tennessee Titans, who replaced the Houston Oilers, for a chance for Ryan Tannehill to play in the Super Bowl in Miami, where he used to play, and who also who beat New England which allowed Tennessee to have to play New England in the playoffs.

Everyone but NE fans: "I'm so glad that New England is out of the playoffs so that we can watch the AFC Championship coached by... [checks notes] Mike Vrabel and Bill O'Brien."

• Love 1