Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, UncleChuck said:

50 years ago I was stationed with the US Army at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.  I was the only soldier in my unit from the Kansas City area and I got so excited with the win over Vikings that I jumped up and broke the sofa we were sitting on.  Then I arranged to get excused from duty so I could take the bus into KC and celebrate with the parade, etc.  Sadly, the morning of the parade I had wisdom teeth extracted and I had to cancel my celebration plans when the pain got too bad.

Now KC is planning another celebratory parade and I don't have any teeth left that might cause a problem, but I'm now too old to fight the crowds.  Oh well, party on Chiefs' Kingdom.  I'll watch on tv.

I’d be happy to give you a ride down there! 

• Love 1

I’m still sitting here watching it all on replay.  I’m beside myself.  I have lived it 2 x as a Packers fan seeing them win the Super Bowl, but it’s really different seeing it with my son.  Seeing his little school embrace it all.  The red around town, the spirit week.  And then on top of it all, my Alma mater winning the CFP,  and my baby boy singing Eye of the Tiger to me tonight when I got down.   And Honey Badger!!!!!  I’m a need a longgg break from football.   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Watching the game and looking at his statistics, there is no way Mahomes should have won the SB MVP.   He isn't the first QB on a SB winning team that shouldn't have won the SB MVP.

I don't know who the voters are, but again IMO, they have failed to do their job.

I knew they would give Mahomes the MVP, he certainly didn't earn it. 

That was a horribly coached game by Kyle Shanahan.  I don't think Andy Reid's coaching performance was much better, but the Chiefs won so I suppose that is all that matters.

Neither team deserved to win.

Who would you have given it too? I somewhat agree with you. Give it to one of the players that made the interception. Defense always gets overlooked. 

But Mahomes did make the plays when needed. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I’m a need a longgg break from football.

3 weeks to the scouting combine.    I am not counting the XFL playing.   I watched their first iteration for a bit.   I may give them a second chance.   But I have about a high hopes of them succeeding this time as I did last time.   

And just so ya'all know, I already got Super Bowl 55 on my calendar.   With the Monday after marked as OFF.   I am very lucky to be able to set my own schedule so I can do this.   Oh it's February 7, 2021.

53 minutes ago, Court said:

But Mahomes did make the plays when needed.

He was a leader.   He kept his team calm.   He stayed calm.  Then he executed.   That's why he got MVP.   Without him, the team falls apart when its down 10 points with less than 6 minutes to go in the game.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Um, OK?  I though it was a pretty great game from start to finish.  No one got blown out, no suspect penalties or bad calls, no dirty hits.  But to say neither team deserved to win?  I’m just not understanding.  Both teams were at the top of their divisions and playing a high level of football.  I am biased, sure, but I still thought it was a dang good Super Bowl with 2 majorly deserving teams that won their way and earned their place in the championship game.

• Love 11
37 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Um, OK?  I though it was a pretty great game from start to finish.  No one got blown out, no suspect penalties or bad calls, no dirty hits.  But to say neither team deserved to win?  I’m just not understanding.  Both teams were at the top of their divisions and playing a high level of football.  I am biased, sure, but I still thought it was a dang good Super Bowl with 2 majorly deserving teams that won their way and earned their place in the championship game.

Yeah, I thought it was a good game all around. Every unit had times where they looked good. The offenses scored and moved the ball, but the defenses made plays and made them earn it as well, got some takeaways and passes defensed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

3 weeks to the scouting combine.    I am not counting the XFL playing.   I watched their first iteration for a bit.   I may give them a second chance.   But I have about a high hopes of them succeeding this time as I did last time.   

OMG 🤣🤣🤣.   I might have to watch one game just to see Spurrier back in action.  That dude cracks me up!

• Love 1

The Super Bowl thread is locked but I wanted to share this article about Shakira's 'tongue thing' from the half-time show.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/02/03/shakira-tongue-superbowl/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Like much of Shakira’s widely heralded performance, which was full of nods to her Colombian and Lebanese heritage, the seemingly random trill actually carried deep cultural significance. To those familiar with Middle Eastern culture, the sound was akin to a traditional Arabic expression of joy and celebration called a zaghrouta. It was also interpreted as a reference to the world-famous Carnaval de Barranquilla, which is held in Shakira’s hometown in Colombia.

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Nahhh!!! We have school and work tomorrow!!  I did give my baby boy a ton of cherries in his kiddy cocktail.  He had another flute of kid wine and then we went out front to light off a couple fireworks!!!!!   

Also @Calvada I will never forget the last time the Packers won the Super Bowl.  It was the 2nd time I could see and remember it, And I was with my family and friends in WI.   It was a party and a half!!!!!!  My bro in law bestie was running front to back of the house screaming in and out the screen doors.   Those MKE boys know how to party!!!!  

I not only had to go to work the day after the Packers beat the Steelers eight years ago, I had to drive for 90 minutes and make a presentation to about 300 people.  But they were all in the same condition as I was - exhausted and exultant.  

I thought it was a good game, but not a great game.  Was there one signature play that it will be remembered for?  I think it will be remembered for Andy Reid winning a SB as a head coach.  (His 2nd ring - he won with the Pack in '96 as an assistant coach.)  When it came down to crunch time, Mahomes showed he's the better QB, and that's why he got MVP.  If Garoppolo had been able to answer after the Chiefs got it to 20-17, or after the Chiefs took the lead at 24-20, he probably would have been MVP.  Two plays demonstrated the difference between the 2 QBs - Mahomes drops in it beautifully to Watkins on the sideline to set up the TD that took the lead and then the pass by Garoppolo on the deep ball to Sanders that was just overthrown and might have been a touchdown if on target.  

• Love 5

I was rooting for the Chiefs, but I do admit to at one point audibly saying "Get him!" as Mahomes was running around his end zone. A safety would have greatly improved my chances of hitting my pool numbers. 

I like both teams but as soon as the game started, I found myself rooting for the 49ers. Maybe because everyone else was rooting for KC.

49ers played better for 3 1/2 quarters, but once KC got their shit together 6 minutes was all they needed to take it away. 49ers had to know that was coming. All in all, I enjoyed the game ...but I never need to see Shikira or JLo's asses ever again as long as I live. It was cruel of them to play a couple bars of Led Zep's Kashmir in the middle of the their Ass Off. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Just ordered my Chiefs Win the Super Bowl Mug (as promised) and had to come here to celebrate.  I've loved Andy for years and was hugging my Walrus beanie baby during the game -- and it worked!  While Patty Pat Pat may not have totally merited MVP (co with Damien Williams, perhaps) I think Disney had a lot to say about that, since they donated One Million Dollars to charity in Patrick's name.  He's exactly who they want in their parade!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

No, you are mistaken: neither team deserved to win last year (and I say that as a fan of both the Patriots and the Rams); that was a terrible game.  Yesterday's game was so much better and more entertaining – not the best game ever, but really fun to watch.

I agree that Patrick Mahomes maybe backed into the MVP award since he played really nervously for about 3.5 quarters before getting it together.  Damien Williams is the only other player I might've considered, but when no player really stands out, they usually just default to the quarterback.

I wore my Dillon (Panthers) football T-shirt yesterday, and I believe it brought me (and thereby the Chiefs since I was rooting for them) luck.  Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Watching the game and looking at his statistics, there is no way Mahomes should have won the SB MVP.   He isn't the first QB on a SB winning team that shouldn't have won the SB MVP.

I don't know who the voters are, but again IMO, they have failed to do their job.

I knew they would give Mahomes the MVP, he certainly didn't earn it. 

That was a horribly coached game by Kyle Shanahan.  I don't think Andy Reid's coaching performance was much better, but the Chiefs won so I suppose that is all that matters.

I mean Mahomes engineered the comeback. You might have an argument for Damien Williams, but 50 of his yards and his touchdown came when there was only just over a minute left in the game and the Chiefs were in clock-running mode.

I agree about Andy Reid's coaching. I've never been a huge fan of his coaching style. But, Kyle Shanahan was worse. 

The Chiefs definitely deserved to win. Mahomes didn't play well for four quarters, but when the chips were down he came through. Same with the Chiefs defense. Garappolo meanwhile was like the anti-Montana, if you will. He managed the game decently for three quarters and fell apart when the game was on the line. And same with the Niners defense -- they played well until the game was on the line.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 3

Fun fact I learned yesterday:    Montana and Young never threw an interception in their Super Bowls   - never lost.   Kaep and Garap both did -- and lost.

Take away:   Interceptions matter.   In the regular season they matter.   In the Super Bowl they REALLY matter.

Mahomes had back to back interceptions.   Bosa was getting to him.   He was sacked.   Yet he stood strong, stayed calm and engineered one of the second greatest comebacks in Super Bowl history.   THAT's why he is MVP.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I don't care if he's MVP.  I just hope they're done talking about Mahomes in a week or so.  

Good luck with that.  Really.

But even if it dies down soon, it'll fire right back up again at the start of next season.

11 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I was rooting for the Chiefs, but I do admit to at one point audibly saying "Get him!" as Mahomes was running around his end zone. A safety would have greatly improved my chances of hitting my pool numbers.

And it would have meant a chance for us to win a new Aussie hauler from Volvo...

11 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I don't want to hear about either one of them.

Have I got some news for you.   They are already asking if Mahomes can challenge Brady's SB record.   

Kid is only 24, if he can stay healthy and they keep a good team around him, then who knows what this teamm can accomplish.

• LOL 1

One of the Chiefs paid off the adoption fees at an animal shelter so there are 100 doggoes free for adoption in the Kansas City (Missouri, not Kansas) area.

The XFL is interesting as a concept, but it’s almost baseball season and also I just can’t do football that much.  The NFL is enough for me, thanks.

Bobby Carpenter fills in on Golic and Wingo a lot (and yet I still have not looked him up to see when he played or who he played for) and he told a story today that because your feet get stepped on so much it jacks up your toenails, so the first week after the preseason he would go to a podiatrist to get his two big toenails REMOVED so they wouldn’t get cracked and painful during the season. No.  Nonononono.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I wouldn't have given one out, and there shouldn't be a requirement to give a SB MVP award.  There shouldn't be an award given out unless some player is so outstanding that he out performs the other players

Even Super Bowl V, a game so bad it became forever known as the Blunder Bowl, had an MVP. 

Of course, the MVP (Chuck Howley), played for the losing team.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

MVP is relative to overall impact though. Larry Brown was able to catch two balls thrown right at him. He didn't play better than Aikman. But those two plays killed the Steelers momentum. 

That's how it goes. 

I'm going to check out the xfl because I'm hoping it will be some wild play calling and not the typical plodding to stay 8-8.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Jags are going to play two home games in London next year and in the annals of dumbest things I have ever heard, it’s definitely on the podium.

Back to back games, or do they have to cross the pond multiple times?

You know this is just a warmup for Goodell's wet dream of having an NFL franchise in London.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

You know this is just a warmup for Goodell's wet dream of having an NFL franchise in London.

I hate Roger Goodell so much, and this is but one of the many examples of why.  Just from a pragmatic standpoint, a London-based team would be a total nightmare for everyone.

• Love 4

In Goodell's defense, he is in charge of a business that needs international growth. The US  market is pretty much saturated. 

Not that I think it will work (unlike the NHL, MLB and NBA, US football will never be an Olympic sport) but he would derelict not to explore international opportunities.

• Love 1

I just found out today that Travis Kelse is from my hometown!  He was born in Westlake OH but actually graduated from Cleveland Heights.  That’s the second Westlake native to play in the NFL.  There was a Bills player - a John something - that played in the late 80s/90s.  For a small town of 30000 (now, 12000 back in the 80s) , that’s good odds.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

The Jags games will be back to back weeks and the opponents will not be Pittsburgh or Chicago (???).

Back to back makes sense because their bye has to be the week after London.

You’re welcome England!  We are clearly sending you the best the NFL has to offer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I just found out today that Travis Kelse is from my hometown!  He was born in Westlake OH but actually graduated from Cleveland Heights.  That’s the second Westlake native to play in the NFL.  There was a Bills player - a John something - that played in the late 80s/90s.  For a small town of 30000 (now, 12000 back in the 80s) , that’s good odds.

If you don't count his brother Jason.

The Paul brothers are from there, too.  Want them back?  😄

Edited by Silver Raven
Just now, Silver Raven said:

If you don't count his brother Jason.

I thought abt him, but I don’t know if the family still lived in Westlake at that time.  And the west side of Cleveland is very different from the east.  Rarely do families move from one side of town to the other, because culturally we’re different.

Listen, i get it that these are athletes with adrenaline going and pumped up; but....

when the INT by Mahomes  at the 10 minute mark of the 4th Qtr and around 15 Niners rush to the end zone for a celebratory group pose, including apparently 4 or 5 players from the sidelines.

It occurred to none of them what an asshole hubristic move that was with the game’s outcome still in play and far from over?

Karma can be a bitch.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Travis Kelce's brother Jason of the Eagles would also be a NFL player from there. He's older than Travis so technically he would be the second and Travis would be the third 😉

Andy Reid coached and drafted both the Kelce brothers

• Love 2
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

In Goodell's defense, he is in charge of a business that needs international growth. The US  market is pretty much saturated. 

Not that I think it will work (unlike the NHL, MLB and NBA, US football will never be an Olympic sport) but he would derelict not to explore international opportunities.

Sure, but having a team five time zones and an ocean away from the nearest teams is just not going to work, and it's not fair to the players.  If he explored Canada or Mexico, that would make a lot more sense, but football is just never going to appeal to a broad international audience.  He would explore having a team five time zones away, though, because he's terrible in every facet of his job.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

The XFL is interesting as a concept, but it’s almost baseball season and also I just can’t do football that much.  The NFL is enough for me, thanks.

The XFL is going to be nap time for me. The NFL offseason is basically summer vacation for me & it ends on Labor Day. What I'm not going to like about the offseason is that having ESPN & Undisputed constantly doing those stupid & pointless NFL Power Rankings and them talking about who is going to win the NFC East.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:08 AM, merylinkid said:

And just so ya'all know, I already got Super Bowl 55 on my calendar.   With the Monday after marked as OFF.   I am very lucky to be able to set my own schedule so I can do this.   Oh it's February 7, 2021.

I don't know who is going to be in Super Bowl 55 next season. But, I'm very certain it won't be the scummy Cowboys, the 49ers with that dunce Mr. 28-3 as their coach, or wherever Tom Brady is playing next season.

Edited by Magog
15 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Listen, i get it that these are athletes with adrenaline going and pumped up; but....

when the INT by Mahomes  at the 10 minute mark of the 4th Qtr and around 15 Niners rush to the end zone for a celebratory group pose, including apparently 4 or 5 players from the sidelines.

It occurred to none of them what an asshole hubristic move that was with the game’s outcome still in play and far from over?

Karma can be a bitch.

That's been happening all season long, with several teams. Every time someone makes a pick, the entire defense runs to the end zone and poses.

So yeah, dumb move by the 49ers, but it's becoming the norm.

• Love 3