Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ketchuplover said:

Here's my OT proposal xxx Both offenses and defenses are on the opponents 25 yard line. Simultaneously both teams snap the ball. Faster scorer wins. Repeat (if needed) until conclusion. So let it be posted. So let it be done.

If they ever find out a way to cover that on TV, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that.  Imagine the extra confusion because they can't see one another and can only hear what the crowd is doing.

47 minutes ago, twoods said:

No, I think both teams should have a chance to score. In every other sport there is an equal opportunity to score in OT- why should it be decided that only one team has the chance to win? 

There's an advantage to winning the toss but most don't win with a walk off TD.  The other team usually gets their chance to score.

But giving each team a chance to score, regardless of whether the first team to score scores a field goal or a touch down, isn't going to eliminate the "coin toss" problem; it'll only delay it.  If Buffalo got the ball back and scored, then it'd just go back to Kansas City and we'd still be talking about their advantage.

The only other option that is intriguing is that they just keep playing the game.  So the team that has possession at the end of the game (or due possession if it was to tie the game) gets to keep it in OT until someone scores.

3 hours ago, blueray said:

I've always thought this rule was unfair and very stupid! Okay, I get that I am ranting but can someone please to explain to me how and why this exists. Because it has never made any sense to me.

It exists because the theory is that defense is important.  A team should be able to hold their opponents to 3 points.  (It used to be that a field goal won it outright. Adding each team getting a touch unless a TD was their attempt to give both offenses a chance.)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

As much as I feel for Josh Allen, if their Defense couldn’t contain KC for 13 seconds and protect that lead….

In retrospect Buffalo probably wishes they had used a squib kick rather than booting that last kickoff through the endzone, but maybe they're still scarred from the Music City Miracle.

• Love 6

We’ve seen plenty of OT games change possession and some end up with no winner at all.  The new rules are better than the old ones IMO.  The Bills defense may have been gassed, but the possession before OT was 13 seconds, so how gassed could they truly have been?

For us Olds, a Cincy / San Fran Super Bowl Part Three would be interesting.  It would have the added bonus of Joe Cool 1.0 and Joe Cool 2.0.

Joe Burrow (Bureaux?) is so fun.  He is what Cleveland was hoping Baker Mayfield was going to be, but Baker comes off as much more acerbic than Joe.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

In retrospect Buffalo probably wishes they had used a squib kick rather than booting that last kickoff through the endzone, but maybe they're still scarred from the Music City Miracle.

Squibbing it gives the Chiefs the ball better field position to what, kill 3 seconds off the game clock? That’s still plenty of time for the Chiefs who still had three time outs which was the key because now the middle of the field was in play so it opens their play calling. When the Bills scored I knew 13 seconds left them too much time because it’s the Chiefs, but they needed the points. 

28 minutes ago, twoods said:
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Squibbing it gives the Chiefs the ball better field position to what, kill 3 seconds off the game clock? That’s still plenty of time for the Chiefs who still had three time outs which was the key because now the middle of the field was in play so it opens their play calling. When the Bills scored I knew 13 seconds left them too much time because it’s the Chiefs, but they needed the points. 

Heck, one second would've been enough.  Like you said, with the timeouts, I too definitely was not crowning Buffalo.  It was a tough luck, but to be fair, if Honey Badger doesn't go down, I think there may have been a drive-ending pick which makes overtime moot.  Speaking of which:

It’s basically better that I’m not in charge of stuff in the NFL than the opposite.  However, if I was, here’s how I’d change overtime.

Pre-Season:

Meh

Regular Season:

1. There are 10 minutes in overtime.  Each team will get a chance to possess the ball, time-permitting.
2. The clock runs non-stop until the two-minute warning regardless of incompletions, out of bounds etc
3. Each team gets 3 timeouts instead of two
4. The clock can stop with a timeout prior to the 2-minute warning
5. After the 2-minute warning, normal clock stuff applies
6. Coin-toss remains in place.
7. The team that has the ball first can win outright with a TD + a successful 2-point conversion
8. If the first team opts to kick a PAT, then the second team gets a chance to score a TD
9. If the second team gets into the endzone, they must go for two
10. Exception to the above: if the first team misses the PAT or 2-point try, a PAT is valid for the win
11. If there’s a safety, the first team has the option to onside kick.  If unsuccessful, the game ends
12. After both teams possess the ball, whichever team has the most points will win the game
13. If the score is still tied, the game continues & next score wins
14. After 10 minutes, if the game is still tied, college OT rules kick in (the old rules).

I have another alternative to Step 14; I’ll share later

Post Season:

Same as the regular season, with a few exceptions

1. The usual 15 minutes apply here.  Clock stops normally based on what would cause it to stop
2. Two timeouts per period
3. Steps 6-13 play out here

It’s a lot, but there have been a ton of changes over the years.  No way anyone important & valid reads this.  If they do change it to where both teams possess the ball, that would be pretty good.  Might just add that alone and avoid all that other stuff I posted here. FWIW, it would eliminate ties, and it would make things exciting with important decision-making taking place (albeit in an overtime period that’s not as common as we think)

Edited by Carey
Tags and correcting a postseason step
  • Love 1

I'm fooking gutted, but what a game! That was your Super Bowl right there. 

Josh Allen was a man on fire at the end. The intensity on his face and the emotion pouring out of him was riveting to watch. He was living the moment and gave his all.     

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 4

I thought the two games on Saturday were really awful losses for the fans of those teams. I think I'd rather be a fan of a team (for one season) that went 5-12 than a fan of a team like the Titans that went 12-5 and then lost their first playoff game like THAT. And then the Packers fans probably figured they were heading for the Super Bowl this year, and even though their offense wasn't scoring any points, their defense was tremendous. And they give up the tying TD on a blocked punt. 

Just terribly disappointing losses.

• Love 4

Rams tried to blow it but managed the win. 

The chiefs bills ending is the best two minutes of Offensive football I've ever seen.  

That said stupid of the bills not to squib kick the ball. 

Feel bad for Allen. 13 seconds. D cannot hold a lead for 13 seconds.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, twoods said:

3 seconds even can mean all the difference between two and three plays.  Getting in two plays in nine seconds with one left for a FG is tough even with time outs.  

• Love 1

I see what you mean, JTMacc.  Those were painful loses for both teams.  I think it hurts Green Bay more since they were built to win it all this year.  As for Tennessee?  I don't think I'm ever taking 5-12 for one season over what happened with them.  You just never know what could happen in the playoffs.  Even in the Titans case, where they weren't beating Kansas City next week.  They ended up not just in the playoffs, not just as division winners, but the Top seed.  That's somewhat similar to the 2004 Steelers.  Probably sucks losing in the playoffs, much better than that 6-10 year, but they weren't beating New England or Indy that season.  The optimism was there, but in reality, they went as far as they could right after beating New York

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Carey said:

That's somewhat similar to the 2004 Steelers.  Probably sucks losing in the playoffs, much better than that 6-10 year, but they weren't beating New England or Indy that season.  The optimism was there, but in reality, they went as far as they could right after beating New York

I remember that Jets game.  Jets missed two field goals in regulation with a chance to win it.  Steelers did kick a field goal in OT to win it.  That game had me so rattled I broke my TV remote by banging it on the arm of my chair.

32 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I thought the two games on Saturday were really awful losses for the fans of those teams.

Cincinnati fans would have been just as heartbroken.  They hadn't made it past the Wild Card round since 1990.

18 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Cincinnati fans would have been just as heartbroken.  They hadn't made it past the Wild Card round since 1990.

I'm sure the Cowboys fans are sad in a similar way. Playoff wins are few and far between for them as well over the last 2 1/2 decades, and they had high hopes for this team.

But to me, getting bounced out of the playoffs when your team was the 1 seed, had an extra week to prepare, and you are full of hope, is a whole other layer of miserable. 

I'm sure my own experiences as a Giants fan are coloring my feelings for these fan bases. During my lifetime, I watched my team win a pair of championships under two different regimes. I feel really strongly that there is a big difference in the way history will remember the Rogers era of the Packers if they win a second championship. I am assuming their fans feel the same way. The Titans fans aren't "long suffering", it's not like this was the Lions getting a 1 seed and then losing right away. But it's still a big deal to think your team has a chance to win it's first championship and get immediately and painfully eliminated.

I still remember the disappointment that came in 2008 when the Giants never really recovered from when Plaxico shot himself and they got bounced by the Eagles after they finished 12-5. I still remember the terrible loss to the 49ers in 2002 season when they blew a 38-14 lead.

Awful ends to promising seasons leave a permanent mark.

On the other hand, I'm becoming pretty good at getting over 11 to 13 loss seasons. When you're not full of hope, disappointment hurts a lot less. 

• Love 2

I'm a Cowboys and Chiefs fan, so I've had the highs and lows of it all the last two weeks, lol. But the Cowboys have been mediocre for so long, I never expect them to win a playoff game anymore. They (and the fans) get too hyped during the regular season when they win over bad teams and think they are better than they are. With Jerry Jones, et al in charge, there will be no playoff wins for a long time.

I'm actually excited for all of the remaining teams still in it. I have my obvious favorites, but as long as they all play good games, I'm excited for whoever ends up in the Super Bowl this year. 

• Love 1

I don’t get the fuss about the overtime rules. Offenses don’t score on 100% of their drives. Defenses don’t stop on 100% of the offenses drives. However, that’s their jobs, and what they should have been doing all game; the offense scoring, the defense stopping the opposing offense from scoring.

So what happens in OT is just a sudden death version of the entire game. I’m good with it and don’t think it needs even one change. I say this knowing my Steelers somehow managed to end on a freaking TIE this year.

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

So what happens in OT is just a sudden death version of the entire game. I’m good with it and don’t think it needs even one change. I say this knowing my Steelers somehow managed to end on a freaking TIE this year.

I still haven't gotten over my (our) Steelers losing to Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos in OT way back in 2012.

• Love 4

The playoffs this year have been so satisfying, I think I need a cigarette.

Wildcard round: the two teams I really wanted to lose, did (Steelers, Cowboys); tired of seeing the Patriots win, so I'm glad they lost and I was happy for the Bengals winning.

Divisional round:  Glad the Packers lost (don't really hate the team, but Rodgers annoyed me this year); satisfied the Bucs lost (mostly because I didn't want repeat winners); glad again for the Bengals and the Bills/Chiefs game was so much fun to watch, I can't be too disappointed in the outcome (although I wanted the Bills to win, mostly, again, so someone new would advance).

Add to all that, that Brady got a penalty for crying to the refs, and, yeah, I need a cigarette.

(I don't hate Brady.  He's obviously a great QB, supportive of his teammates and seems like a nice guy, but his crying for a flag anytime his receiver drops the ball or a defensive player touches him is annoying.  The media fawning over him doesn't help.)

I'm not sure anyone can stop the Chiefs from winning another Superbowl, but I'm willing to be surprised.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I still haven't gotten over my (our) Steelers losing to Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos in OT way back in 2012.

This is the worst playoff loss for me and I'll never get over it.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Johann said:
2 minutes ago, Popples said:

This is the worst playoff loss for me and I'll never get over it.

I kind of smile anytime I think of it.

But not as much as I did following the Patriots two wins in that very same postseason!

1 minute ago, Carey said:

But not as much as I did following the Patriots two wins in that very same postseason!

Or, on their way to their second Superbowl, the Ravens beating the Broncos in double overtime.  Every quarter in that game ended in a tie, and I thought the Bills/Chiefs game was going to duplicate that. (they broke the pattern in the 3rd qtr)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Johann said:

Or, on their way to their second Superbowl, the Ravens beating the Broncos in double overtime.  Every quarter in that game ended in a tie, and I thought the Bills/Chiefs game was going to duplicate that. (they broke the pattern in the 3rd qtr)

That 2012 game was indeed legendary.  Last night's was probably the closest to that I agree.  Of course, going 11 for 11 that postseason helped with the excitement

• Love 1

Regarding LA beating Green Bay, I'm glad for Matthew Stafford. It must have been satisfying to beat Rodgers and the Packers, Detroit's foes for many years. And Detroit probably lost most of the games, too. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

^this is why I'm probably going to root for them now. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I don’t get the fuss about the overtime rules.

I agree with you. There are always plenty of opportunities for the team that loses in overtime to have prevented themselves from being there in the first place. 

I think part of the issue with the NFL overtime rules is that pretty much every other sport gives both teams a "chance". It makes the NFL rules feel unfair. Plus, college football has a pretty interesting OT rule that does feel like it gives both teams a shot.

HOWEVER, the NFL OT rules take into account player safety in a way that any adjusted rules would have to also consider. 

Once an NFL team runs more than 60-70 plays, the chances for players getting hurt starts to go up from what is already a very high chance that players are going to get hurt. The current rules were modified in 2010 to let the game go on a little longer by saying that a field goal on the first drive doesn't end the game. And then in 2017 they knocked the 15 OT down to 10 for regular season games, again for player safety.

The NFL isn't likely to go to the College format because, unlike in college, the NFL rosters don't have 95 guys dressed for a game and can be fine with 5 or six additional overtime drives. It's also not likely to pretend it's baseball and give both teams a chance to have the ball for the same reason. Baseball is relatively safe to go on and on all night. NFL football is not.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

^While I agree it is important for safety. Other sports such as Hockey do it way more fair and safe. In Hockey they get banged around too. Both teams get a chance with the ball that way it doesn't matter who won the coin toss. The first team has a clear unfair advantage in Football. Where as other sports such as Hockey where both teams have an equal chance of getting the puck. It isn't the same in Football. So each team should get least one change to score. Then they could go into a sudden death situation after say 10 minutes (or maybe 5, as Football time takes forever...). The after the time limit the first team to score wins. This is fair and wouldn't result in a coin toss deciding the outcome.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

There are always plenty of opportunities for the team that loses in overtime to have prevented themselves from being there in the first place. 

That could be said of both teams though.  If either one played worth a shit, it wouldn't end in a tie which then leads to OT!  ;)

I like the college rules of OT.  Even if that model wouldn't work in the NFL, surely those great minds (snerk) of the NFL could come up with something that would be fair to both teams.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, blueray said:

Other sports such as Hockey do it way more fair and safe. In Hockey they get banged around too.

To be clear, I'm not expressing my own opinion with what I said. I'm just trying to relay what other people with actual knowledge of why the rules are what they are have said.

My actual opinion is that I'm with the NFL on this one. The NFL is unique in major sports with how brutal it is. Whatever rules they come up with for OT are fine with me as long as they limit the number of extra plays.

And I realize that I'm somewhat influenced by the fact that I'm a fan of the most injured team since 2009. You catch ONE BALL on your helmet, and the football gods extract a heavy price.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Johann said:

The first time the Cravens won the SB hurts my heart so bad.  That POS Modell standing on the podium crying while holding the Lombardi, while back home (Cleveland)  we were kicking in our TVs, knowing he doomed us for 20+ years of bad to mediocrity.

5 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Regarding LA beating Green Bay, I'm glad for Matthew Stafford. It must have been satisfying to beat Rodgers and the Packers, Detroit's foes for many years. And Detroit probably lost most of the games, too. 

The Rams may have beaten Green Bay in the regular season, but the 49ers did it this weekend.

So regarding next weekend's game - the Rams desperately don't want the stadium filled with red jerseys again.  So first they got Ticketmaster to try to limit sales to people with the correct zip codes.  That went down in flames, because it's illegal.  So one of the players wives went on social media and said that she'd buy the tickets if they wanted to sell.  Not to be outdone, Joe Staley and Frank Gore have made the same offer.  Fun times.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I feel really strongly that there is a big difference in the way history will remember the Rogers era of the Packers if they win a second championship. I am assuming their fans feel the same way.

I do think there's a general sense of "we've had a HOF QB for almost 30 years and only 2 Super Bowls to show for it" more than limiting it to just a Rodgers view.

I think this year really hurt him, though.  Before this season, the narrative around his not having another Super Bowl was that it was never his fault and that he was always let down by his team.  It was a lack of a defense.  Or It was McCarthy (last week when the Cowboys lost, someone here said Rodgers must be vindicated and I said let's wait to see what Rodgers does.  And here we are.)

This was his "zero fucks" year and all the scrutiny that comes with it. He needed to perform well in the playoffs. But he did exactly what I expected him to do because it has been a long time since I've bought into the "not his fault" narrative.  He reverted to all of his bad habits.   Yes, the special teams was atrocious.  Yes, he was let down by some of the coaching.  But the opposing team barely had any offense.  Even with the mistakes of special teams, he should have been able to put away this game easily if he played the way he had been playing in the regular season. And the team loses as a result. From what I've been hearing/reading this year, this is a take more people are having.

I think a lot of Packers fans are realizing that he's a brilliant regular season QB but he's an inconsistent playoff QB.  Since they won the Super Bowl (for the 2010 season), they've made the playoffs 9 times and they've had the number 1 or 2 seed 5 of those times.  I always end up feeling like he never looks as good in the playoffs as he does in the regular season.

As a GB fan, I'm left feeling I'd rather know what kind of team I have going into the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

The LA Rams haven't beaten the Packers since 2018. Packers beat them last season in the playoffs and this season in the regular season.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5

Nice job Rams for pissing off the Niners fan base so now there will me more of them at the game than the last game of the season. There are so many Northern California transplants in southern Cali as it is and now you’re going to get those fans that will travel the 7 hours just to support their team and stick it to dumb Rams personnel who tried to restrict tickets to local zip codes.

• Love 4

If the Rams are fortunate enough to get to the Super Bowl, then they'll face an even bigger issue two weeks later.  No epic ticket restrictions, and while you might see some people jump on a bandwagon for the world's biggest game, the fans of the opposition are going to do a lot more than what San Francisco will do in terms of attendance.  Especially if Kansas City wins.  To be fair, Cincinnati does travel (as) well.  Now, going to Pittsburgh isn't too much of a commute, but they did that when they were not good.  I imagine they will make the trip West to Los Angeles in a big way; I know for sure Buffalo would have done so had they won their game!

On 1/24/2022 at 1:35 PM, Johann said:

Add to all that, that Brady got a penalty for crying to the refs, and, yeah, I need a cigarette.

(I don't hate Brady.  He's obviously a great QB, supportive of his teammates and seems like a nice guy, but his crying for a flag anytime his receiver drops the ball or a defensive player touches him is annoying.  The media fawning over him doesn't help.)

I greatly dislike Tom Brady because he lacks humility.  He lost me when he was still whining about his place in the draft after he already had 3 Super Bowl rings and married to Giselle.  There is a point when you have to let things go.  Also, did he really want to go to the Jets in place of Chad Pennington, or the Browns taking him over Spergon Wynn?  

I feel the same way about Michael Jordan and his fixation on not making the varsity basketball team at his high school when he was a sophomore.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kip Hackman said:

Good riddance.

We finally get rid of Brees & Payton, and the Panthers are a gd dumpster fire.

Speaking of which rumors of rhule to u. Of Michigan. 

Or at least saying he would take the job, amid rumors of harbaugh jumping back to the NFL and rhule being done after one season in Charlotte. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/23/matt-rhule-reportedly-would-be-interested-in-michigan-job-if-harbaugh-leaves

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Useful 1
On 1/23/2022 at 10:03 PM, Lady Whistleup said:
On 1/23/2022 at 10:02 PM, merylinkid said:

At least all the rabid Anti-Vaxxers are finally eliminated.

For the last time: Tom Brady is vaccinated.

Why should a player's vaccinated status matter?  This is a football game.  Their personal medical choice is not on the field.  I came here after giving up on football (dejected Giants fan) as it's more political and vax vs. anti-vax rather than team vs. team.    I don't care that Rodgers isn't vaccinated or that Brady is.  That's not going to affect their play on the field

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

But it certainly could affect whether they are even on the field to play...

That's true, but like most of the working world, we aren't taking routine Covid tests.  We're at the mercy of each other these days (same is true with a cold or the flu), but I don't think it's feasible to expect the players to continue to take Covid tests all of the time.  Most of the working world has moved on from that requirement.  The NFL is just catching up with the rest of us.   

It doesn't make much sense to have the players go through all of that just to show up at a stadium filled with 75,000+ fans - many of whom haven't been vaccinated.  Not all stadiums required that.   

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I heard that rumor a couple of days ago and am so mad he did it if he truly takes a gap year.  The Giants need a coach noooooooooow.

But if he gets taken by another team now, they’d have to pay the Saints, per his contract.

I don’t know why Payton would want to go to the mess that is the Giants organization.  He’s probably just burnt out aft 18 years.  

He was a Giant once, he can get it turned around!

Also happy 35th anniversary today to the first Super Bowl I ever cared about, and the third Super Bowl I ever watched.  Super Bowl XXI was so fun.  I absolutely loved the part during the pregame when the different Giants were videotaping their teammates from Jersey to Cali.  And you can’t go wrong with Madden and Summerall.

I watched that VHS tape so much I wore it out.  I actually still have it.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Also happy 35th anniversary today to the first Super Bowl I ever cared about, and the third Super Bowl I ever watched.  

I am a Giants fan blue and blue, and I have vague memories of the NFL in the mid 1960s, but the first Super Bowl I really remember is SB III.  We talked about the game in my seventh grade math class.  The consensus, of course, was that the Colts would win in a walk.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Giants need a coach noooooooooow.

It's gonna cost the GDP of a moderate sized nation to buy the Saints out of a $45 million contract that runs through 2024.  Sounds like Sean is looking for some down time, too, rather than jumping both feet into a dumpster fire.

• Love 3