Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Anyway, I do think Adam Schefter and Jeff Darlington deserve a ton of criticism for the way they broke the news.  This should've been Brady's announcement to make.  He's the GOAT and earned the right to announce his retirement on his own terms, which was also clearly intentionally timed not to overshadow the conference championships and to give the news enough time before the Super Bowl to die down (hopefully).  Schefter and Darlington couldn't just wait a few days and let him announce the news himself; they just had to be first.  It's gross and shitty, and, no matter how they're trying to spin it, this is not "news" that just needed to be reported ASAP.  Hell, everyone knew Rapistberger was going to retire, but he was allowed to break the news publicly and make it official himself.

Brady also needs to have a talk with the people in his inner circle.  Schefter and Darlington wouldn't have written the story without an ironclad source, and only an idiot would tell a reporter something like this and assume they wouldn't immediately publish unless they extracted the equivalent of a promise signed in blood. 

4 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Enjoy the next phase, Tommy, now stop with the crazy smoothies and go eat some damn pizza.

It obviously won't happen, but it'd be hilarious if we saw Brady six months from now and he's got a double chin and beer belly.  I've got twenty years of processed food to catch up on!

• Love 3

What another great weekend of games!  Since my team didn't make the playoffs, the next best thing is exciting games with new winners and the playoffs have really delivered this year.

Big congratulations to the Bengals!  Nothing against Kansas City, but it's nice to see someone different in the SB.  Rams winning was good.  Niners have had more success in the past and good for Stafford after paying his dues working hard for Detroit.  Also glad for Eric Weddle.  He played for the Ravens a few years, did great and seemed like a great guy.  Even talked a few friends into joining the team.  I'm happy for either team winning the Superbowl - just make the scores at the end of each quarter win me some money.

About the issue of the Buc's cannons or Chiefs announcer, I actually think they shouldn't be allowed.  The SB is supposed to be on neutral grounds and it's just a happy coincidence for one team when it's at their stadium, but I don't think they should be allowed any further 12th man advantages that aren't available to the other team.  Both teams will have fans there, but if one team also has the intercom system and cannons or whatever, it seems an unnecessary emotional advantage for one team.

Good luck to Tom Brady.  It might be interesting if he gets an announcer/analyst job.  Maybe he can replace one of the plethora of Cowboys in those fields.

• Love 1

Holy crap:  I just clicked on some random news sites in between conference calls, and I saw the racial discrimination lawsuit that Brian Flores has filed.  Here’s the link from Bleacher Report‘s coverage.

Pretty damning of the insider culture of pro football management that Brian Flores has screenshots of a text message Bill Belichick sent to him, mistakenly thinking that he (Belichick) was texting Brian Daboll instead.  In the text, Belichick is congratulating Daboll on getting the Giants head coaching job when Flores hadn’t even interviewed for the position yet.  Hence a racial discrimination claim that the Giants had already made up their minds and were just paying lip service to the “Rooney Rule.”  Also something about Flores being offered money to tank Miami’s season and getting fired when he refused.

Any legal experts have thoughts on the merits?  Whatever the case, it seems super messy. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Tom is a very involved parent with Jack. My co-worker's son goes to the same school as Jack and says Tom shows up to PTC's and school events and is just a regular parent. So this narrative that he abandoned Bridget and Jack needs to stop. He and Bridget broke up before she found out she was pregnant but he never abandoned Jack.

Also I cannot say this enough.   Tom never denied paternity, he never tried to smear Bridget.   They reach a settlement without a lot of drama about custody and child support.   They worked it out like adults.  Which is what is supposed to happen.   

The Flores lawsuit is going to be EXPLOSIVE.   He knows  he is done coaching by filing this.   He don't care.   He alleges Ross, the Dolphins owner offered him MONEY to tank.     I believe Flores.   The Rooney Rule was put in place so the owners can say "see we aren't racists, we give black coaches a chance."   Flores' suit is going to show that's exactly what that Rule is. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Peace 47 said:

Holy crap:  I just clicked on some random news sites in between conference calls, and I saw the racial discrimination lawsuit that Brian Flores has filed.  Here’s the link from Bleacher Report‘s coverage.

Pretty damning of the insider culture of pro football management that Brian Flores has screenshots of a text message Bill Belichick sent to him, mistakenly thinking that he (Belichick) was texting Brian Daboll instead.  In the text, Belichick is congratulating Daboll on getting the Giants head coaching job when Flores hadn’t even interviewed for the position yet.  Hence a racial discrimination claim that the Giants had already made up their minds and were just paying lip service to the “Rooney Rule.”  Also something about Flores being offered money to tank Miami’s season and getting fired when he refused.

Any legal experts have thoughts on the merits?  Whatever the case, it seems super messy. 

I've been discussing this mess elsewhere.  At first I figured that it would lead to nothing, and Brian Flores will be done in the NFL.

Now, I still think Flores will be done, but so will Stephen Ross.  Moreso than Chris Grier (I originally thought he'd be the scapegoat).  I disagree with him suing the league over racial discrimination, at least I first thought so.  Unless he was content on no longer coaching again, he should've waited until all the spots were still open.  The Miami thing was more of a thing of bad, losing culture, and less racism.  

Not sure of the weight of proof Flores has, but it's something.  Plus the evidence out there against Ross is bad news for the Dolphins owner.  I'm sorry, but I can't get behind paying someone to tank, especially when they were in the right direction.

It made sense for Cincinnati in 2019 (not for pay of course) but what a mess in Miami

• Love 1

It's a sad day for us Buc's fans, but we knew TB wouldn't stay too long.  I figured he'd play for 2 years, and we'd be lucky if he stayed for a third, so it's really not surprising.  I doubt that Gronk will stay, but maybe he'll surprise us.   Maybe Coach Arians can make whatever team we have next season a winning one.  Here's hoping!!  

Thanks, Tom, for giving us Buc's fans something to cheer about for a change.  He brought a new mindset to the team (we can win rather than we hope we'll win - as told by a Buc's player).  I don't know where the team is at in terms of the salary cap, but I'll hold out hope for them.  Please don't go back to the era of the SOBs (same old Bucs).  

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I noticed lots of thanks to people within the Bucs organization and their fans but there doesn't appear a single mention in TB's retirement post about the Patriots.

Brady said his goodbyes to the Pats two years ago.  And it's not like he's ignoring them now...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I noticed lots of thanks to people within the Bucs organization and their fans but there doesn't appear a single mention in TB's retirement post about the Patriots.

He mentioned them in a tweet. 

He isn't on good terms with Bill Belichick. He seems close to his former Patriot teammates though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

He isn't on good terms with Bill Belichick. He seems close to his former Patriot teammates though.

They met after the Bucs vs. Patriots game this season.  There was a bit of press about it, and it was reported that all was good between them.   Didn't TB say something like the press makes mountains out of molehills when it comes to their relationship?  As in, the press is talking out of their collective asses about things they know nothing about!  That's what I read into it.  YMMV.  

I don't expect Brady to say much about the Patriots, as he already did that farewell tour!  He is officially retiring from the Bucs, so I would expect him to say his goodbyes to them, and all of us longsuffering Buc's fans, who suffered less for 2 great years thanks to him!   ;)    

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I don't know but discovery has the potential to be fascinating. He says he's doing this to address the systematic racism in the NFL so my only question is whether or not there's a number that could get him to settle.

Somewhat OT, from the article:

Ross also allegedly attempted to force Flores to engage in tampering with an unnamed "prominent quarterback" in 2020. The Dolphins owner allegedly invited Flores to a dinner on his yacht that, upon arrival, Flores said he realized was supposed to serve as a clandestine meeting between the coach and quarterback. Flores said he declined the meeting, which would have constituted a violation of NFL tampering rules. 

So who do we think the QB on the yacht was?  Russel Wilson?  DeShawn Watson?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Carey said:

Tom & Bill are more business people toward one another and less buddies.  I do not believe they've ever gone out together for dinner

I've heard this mentioned before and is it a bIt deal?  I've never had dinner with my boss, unless a bunch of us were on a business trip.  Getting along on the job is good, but you don't have to socialize - and I liked my boss.

• Love 3

Brady only went to 10 of 22 available Super Bowls.  Pfft.  What a scrub.

The QB list who went to the other 12 is interesting (if this is right, I didn’t look it up so am unsure about one)

Peyton 4   
Ben 3   
Stafford   
Mahomes    
Flacco   
Gannon   
Dilfer

Also, what does Brady have against guys named Drew anyways?

• LOL 2

The allegations of pay to tank is going to be bigger than the racism claims.   Which is sad.   Because the systemic racism and dumping of black coaches then not giving them a second chance when mediocre white guys (Fisher anyone) get multiple chances is true.   But what will get Ross gone is that he said the quiet part out loud.   Sure lots of teams tank for the first round pick -- anyone remember "Suck for Luck?"   But Ross offered money and tanking can affect gambling which Ross has investments in a gambling company.   So unlike Pete Rose who was never proven to bet his team to lose, Ross could have knowledge that his team would lose.   But Flores wouldn't go along with it.

IF it is Brady in the tampering allegations, that's an "ehhh" from me.   He was expected to be a free agent and leave New England.   EVERYONE was pursuing him.   Tampering happens all the time, its how free agent contracts are signed at 12:10 a.m.  the day free agency opens.  As I told one friend, they never enforce the damn rule anyway, they should compensate the team who loses a free agent  in some way (better than the compensatory pick formula) and just say its a free market feel free to talk to anyone whose contract is ending this year at any time.   But the player cannot sign a new contract until the old one ends.  

• Love 5

There is so much shady at best and corrupt at worst things that happen in the NFL.

It's interesting some people are now willing to talk about it.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

But Ross offered money and tanking can affect gambling which Ross has investments in a gambling company.

I remember awhile back there was something about perhaps the Rooneys wouldn't be able to continue to have majority of ownership because they had some financial interests in race tracks that had slot machines.  

• Useful 2
23 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

There is so much shady at best and corrupt at worst things that happen in the NFL.

It's interesting some people are now willing to talk about it.

I remember awhile back there was something about perhaps the Rooneys wouldn't be able to continue to have majority of ownership because they had some financial interests in race tracks that had slot machines.  

That was legalized sports betting for all.   Now the NFL has partnerships with sports books.   So its all fine.   Until  ... well .... THIS.

• Love 2

Whew! This Brian Flores lawsuit is so juicy--- I can't even stand it. And I LIVE for receipts:

aced553179ae4da0be5f131d7dcd09be_md.thumb.jpg.0428d224d9d4c42b57c7290850542e41.jpg

So, they had already made their minds up well before all the applicants had even been interviewed. & this is coming off a season where ALL the Black head coaches, except Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers, have been fired. & Brian Flores is going scorched-earth, basically throwing away any future NFL job by filing this lawsuit. & the allegations of being offered $100,000 per game to deliberately lose. Plus, the allegation of improper recruiting/tampering from the Dolphins owner, who showed up drunk/hungover on a yacht.

Did I miss anything?

dis gon b gud this is gonna be good GIF

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, NowVoyager said:

Plus, the allegation of improper recruiting/tampering from the Dolphins owner, who showed up drunk/hungover on a yacht.

I don't think it was the Dolphins people who showed up drunk. It was the Denver people who did in a previous interview.

If he has receipts on the 100,000 thing, that could get Ross in big trouble because he invested in a gambling startup.

Right now, I'm more interested to see if other coaches jump on board. Hue Jackson is implying Browns paid him to lose too. Or that he got bonuses.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Oh, also.  Washington Commanders?  Ick, no.

And I thought Cleveland Guardians was lame….

As a middle aged white female nobody, I stand in support of Brian Flores.  As coaches started to be named, and the rumor of Khaki Pants signing with the Vikings, it disgusted me that all these new coaches were white.  Yes, there were some minority GMs hired, which is progress, but the GM isn’t the face of the team like the coach is.

Good luck to Mr. Flores, and if your coaching career is finished, I hope you get a front line media job.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

What the heck.  One of these is not a Washington color.  Also, RIP WTF, it was fun while it lasted.

With the exception of the black uniform (which isn't even Washington's colors), I feel like these look like college uniforms. It was definitely not what I was expecting. 

And I've seen them called the "Commies" all over social media since yesterday, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

The Rooney Rule was institute in 2003.   There were 3 minority coaches at the time, all of them African American.

Right now in 2022 there are ... 3 minority coaches.   1 African American (Tomlin), 1 Hispanic (Ron Rivera) and 1 Arab American (Robert Saleh).   

Yep progess folks.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Somewhat OT, from the article:

So who do we think the QB on the yacht was?  Russel Wilson?  DeShawn Watson?

I saw elsewhere online in some comments section that people were so sure that it was Watson.  I didn’t gather why they were so certain, though.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

This didn’t occur to me until I heard it on LeBatard, but Washington Commanders can be shortened to Washington Commies.  Probably not what they were going for.

Vanderbilt University’s team name is the “Commodores,” and I’ve tried to make the “Commies” happen for years, but it never took off. Can’t imagine why.  🤔  (They go by ‘Dores, so maybe Washington can go by ‘Ders, lol.)

4 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Whew! This Brian Flores lawsuit is so juicy--- I can't even stand it. And I LIVE for receipts:

I about fell out of my chair yesterday when I read the story, and the text messages.  I don’t think I would have the guts to go as scorched earth as Flores is, so I really admire his taking a stand based on principle (and burning every professional bridge he has).  Plus, he was quietly labeled as “difficult” before he got fired from Miami, so to have that whole truth come out about being paid to tank? Amazing.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And weren't there rumors that Tomlin might be fired this season but then the strong ending saved his job?

Or maybe the Rooney's would've have pulled the trigger.

No.

Mike Tomlin is under contract thru 2024.  That last year may be an option year, but Pittsburgh extended the coach last summer.

The Steelers did have the option of letting Coach Tomlin earn another contract, and people were hoping that would've been the case after their super-collapse at the end of the 2020 season.  However, they typically do this.  Prior to that, it was fitting that Tomlin would leave after 2021 with Ben and GM Kevin Colbert.  Not sure he'd want to be a part of a rebuild.

Anyway, Coach T's not going anywhere.  He could finish with winning next season and he'd be back for 2023.  The Steelers don't pay people not to work.  Basically, Mike is leaving when he wants to leave.  If not it would be whenever his contract expires.  Of course, as his family gets older, I think his exit would coincide with that

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, bosawks said:

This off-season is gonna be fun!

It's going to be hilarious if the Texans follow through and hire Josh McCown, whose coaching experience involves being a volunteer QB coach and offensive assistant, both at a high school.  That's going to be one incredible press conference to justify hiring someone with no experience and no strong ties to the organization.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

It's going to be hilarious if the Texans follow through and hire Josh McCown, whose coaching experience involves being a volunteer QB coach and offensive assistant, both at a high school.  That's going to be one incredible press conference to justify hiring someone with no experience and no strong ties to the organization.

My hunch is the Flores lawsuit will put any plans to hire McCown on ice because Nick Caserio HAS to know how that is going to look. It would also be very unfair to McCown, who hasn't done anything wrong but will be asked constantly about being hired without experience and will be held up as the example of everything wrong with the NFL.

If I'm McCown I let the Texans know "thanks but no thanks" and I try to get on somewhere as an assistant, even if it's a college team. It's just a bad look to jump the line no matter how much enthusiasm and commitment you showed in your interview. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Carey said:

Anyway, Coach T's not going anywhere.  He could finish with winning next season and he'd be back for 2023.  The Steelers don't pay people not to work.  Basically, Mike is leaving when he wants to leave. 

The Steelers have had exactly three head coaches in the past fifty years.  The first two retired voluntarily.  The Rooneys do not jump the gun every time the team has a shaky season.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Say what now!?

Oh, ok, I just googled it. Wow...!

https://deadspin.com/this-is-what-unchecked-hubris-looks-like-1848466267

622722028_Screenshot_20220202-202208_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f19c4d6a00d88498e804fd90698e3ada.jpg

772707933_Screenshot_20220202-202251_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c1e4f9b9200e618bb819f1fab155890c.jpg

• Love 2

Let me get this straight.  I had heard of Josh McCown recently lately so I thought there's no way he had no coaching experience.

So I looked him up, he interviewed for a head coaching job while a player for the Texans last season?  And now he's maybe going to get the job?  Uh, why did they even bother waiting and what the actual fuck?

I know he played a lot of places but he was just a player.

By the way, it's now being reported that Harbaugh told Michigan he'd be back. I thought something was weird when the "sure thing" was taking so long.  But I guess it's not over until it's over.

• Love 1