Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The Rams finally brought pressure and forced Jimmy G to make a bad play. I’m happy for the Rams but won’t be too upset if the Bengals win. And we will get to see players that haven’t won the SB which is always nice to see. 

Hope that 8 hour drive to the Bay Area is a slow and sad one, Niners fans!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Welp I'm 0-2 today.   You want to win big betting on football - bet the opposite of whatever I say.   

At least we won't have to listen to Cris Collinsworth for the next 2 weeks discussing  HIS Bengals v. 49ers Super Bowl matchups.

I'm really happy for Stafford.   It's almost like, Detroit doesn't have the ability to win.   So many players go on to do things elsewhere.

• Love 1

The Rams got lucky Jimmy G screwed the 49ers.  The Rams WR we’re dropping passes left & right.  I bet Matt Stafford thought he was playing with the Lions again.

I’d be happy with either team winning.  That’s a first.

• Love 4

The Rams were always a good team- their weak link was Goff at QB so kudos to the staff for getting Stafford. 
Im hoping McVay actually does some decent play calling  this time because the last time in the SB he was a big bust. He had some more questionable play calls again today but his defense bailed him out again.

Edited by twoods
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Which network gets the Super Bowl this year (please don't let it be CBS so I don't have to listen to effing Romo again)?

NBC.  Yay!  Cris & Al will be in the booth!  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 6
Just now, AimingforYoko said:

Yeah, Super Bowl and Olympics at the same time. They're going to be stretched a little thin.

I'm reading that NBC wanted it that way.  They traded years with CBS so they can presumably promo the hell out of the Olympics!

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Magog said:

BTW, Stan Kroenke can get also get bent.

I hate him, too.  But I don't hate that he's the owner, because he's hands off and has a shit ton of money.

9 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I have a weird crush on Sean McVay (I know, I don't get it either)

I don't have a crush on him, but I do find him kind of attractive despite not being my type, so I don't get it, either, but I get it. 🙂

3 minutes ago, twoods said:

Im hoping McVay actually does some decent play calling  this time because the last time in the SB he was a big bust. He had some more questionable play calls again today but his defense bailed him out again.

Wade Phillips (defensive coordinator at the time) had Brady completely befuddled in that SB game.  If the offense could have done anything, we'd have won.  So, yeah, I'm nervous about the play calling.  And stupid-ass challenges.

Of course I very much want the Rams to win, but I'd be happy with a good loss in a great game -- I really want the Super Bowl to be as good as these past two weeks of playoff games deserve.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I have a weird crush on Sean McVay (I know, I don't get it either)

Oh, I totally get it.  I mean, Joey Bear is my love, and I'm fully devoted to him until the end of time, but a guy can look, you know?

I was praying for the Rams to win for multiple reasons:

1. Fuck that racist, homophobic Nick Bosa.  I hope he never, ever gets a SB ring.

2. I cannot handle another Bengals SB defeat at the hands of the 49ers.  I was nine when Joe Montana (whom I will loathe until the day I die) broke my young heart with that last-minute TD drive in SB XXIII, and I cannot have that happen again.

3. 49ers' fans – as @emmawoodhouse said, they're insufferable.

4. I love the Rams!  I'm an Angeleno (for the last 21 years) who actually does love and root for the Rams!

5. Matthew Stafford – it's so wonderful to see him get a chance to win the SB.

6. With this particular matchup, I'll be thrilled for whichever team wins.  I mean, make no mistake, I'm rooting hard for the Bengals, but I will be so happy for the Rams if they win.  Had the 49ers won today and then won the SB, I'd be depressed for days.  This means I can just relax end enjoy the game; hopefully, it'll be a great one!

• Love 9

I think it's a mild version of teacher vs student here.

Whatever happens will be nice,.  Hats off to both teams for doing whatever it took to get to this point.  First time ever where all top 3 seeds in both conferences got booted before the Super Bowl, I believe.

Plus, I think it's the first year in forever there's not a superstar in the Super Bowl.  You have to go back to, maybe 1985-1985 for the last season where there wasn't a star studded person headlining a superbowl, and back to 2012-2013 without Peyton, Brady, Big Ben, Mahomes.  Take away that year, you'd have to go back to 2002-2003

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

So we're not changing OT rules now?

I still think they should. As it is unfair to the other team. And a signal turnover isn't going to change my mind. 

That being said I'm glad to a new team in the superbowl. 

• Love 3

Meh.  I'll pass on OT rules.  The Bengals modified the OT rules themselves.  That was enough for me.  The NFL needs to modify them for the entire season, not just the playoffs

• Love 1
5 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

6. With this particular matchup, I'll be thrilled for whichever team wins.  I mean, make no mistake, I'm rooting hard for the Bengals, but I will be so happy for the Rams if they win.  Had the 49ers won today and then won the SB, I'd be depressed for days.  This means I can just relax end enjoy the game; hopefully, it'll be a great one!

Which is why I want to see this one-- someone's gonna get the monkey off their backs (I'd love for it to be the Rams, but if the Bengals do it, that'll be great too)!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

Jimmy G ruined everything.  This sucks.

He wasn't the one who dropped a guaranteed interception.  Although anyone surprised by Jimmy G's mixed performance hasn't been paying attention at all.   It's all part of the Jimmy G experience.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Yeah I find Mixon being in the NFL problematic.   But then I had a problem with Tyreek Hill still playing and wanted the Chiefs to win.   Soooo.   It's a tough one when bad guys are on good teams with good guys you want to see succeed.

• Love 2

Marty was much worse.  At least Kyle's won in the playoffs.  Plus he got a couple on the road.  Marty lost to the same team 3 times in a short period of time.  Kyle at least doesn't lose the same team (in fact did the opposite).  Later on Marty had people coming to his place, and exited immediately

Well, we were one interception away from our Pretty Boy Bowl. All our hopes now lie with Joey B. : D

So relieved KC didn't score a TD in the OT. That would have ruined the SB for me. 

Wow that was a flagrant Cooper Kupp snub at the trophy ceremony. I had to laugh when they denied him any air time, cutting away as he approached the mike. 

The only problem with Kansas City making another Super Bowl is that it would have prevented something new or someone new.  Granted, we ended up with the new look Rams, but having Cincinnati into the BIG game means there's a chance we get the 21st team to hoist the Lombardi.

FWIW: The Pattern does favor the Bengals.  Every year that featured a Winter Olympics brought us a new champion, going back to 1998 (& excluding 2006).  Denver, New England, New Orleans, Seattle, Philadelphia, and maybe Cincy with a win.  Basically every-other even year except for Super Bowl XL.

Even though the league wanted Mahomes vs Stafford, Burrow and co vs the Rams may actully be a better game.  Cincy has found ways to win.  Los Angeles won in Tampa, and they have a great offense to do with their defense.  Thanks to Buffalo's blunder, Cincy will face probably the best defense they've encountered that includes playmakers on the D-Line, the front seven.  Plus, the secondary is okay.  I think the Bengals defense will make plays; you know their offense will likely score.  However, if LA's offense can avoid mistakes, that should be enough.  They have to take advantage of times where the Bengals would struggle due to their o-line.  Like all the time.  Not sure how their run game is, but I don't think the Rams can be one-dimensional either.

Either team can win, and that's great for football.  It's something different.  Nothing against Brady, and even Patrick Mahomes (both earned it), but part of what's hurt the product is seeing same old, same old

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Either team can win, and that's great for football.  It's something different.  Nothing against Brady, and even Patrick Mahomes (both earned it), but part of what's hurt the product is seeing same old, same old

Since 2000 there have been 22 SBs.  The AFC has sent eight different teams and the NFC has sent twelve different teams.  The AFC East has sent one.  The AFC North has sent two (now three with Cincinnati). The AFC South has sent two. And the AFC West has sent three.  The NFC East has sent two. The NFC North has sent two. The NFC South and the NFC West have both sent all four in each division.  Also there were only two games that didn't have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

I for one am happy to see someone new.

• Love 1

From the Super Bowl in January 1987 (XXI) to January 1996 (XXX) four teams won (49ers and Cowboys three times, Giants and Redskins twice).

I bet the entire country was fatigued for that decade.

And for what it’s worth, only the Giants and 49ers have been back to the game since 1996.

That entire era the NFC was far superior to the AFC, and the NFCC was often seen as the "real" Super Bowl. And the AFC lost in a series of boring blowouts. The first Bills loss was the one I remember in that era when the AFC team was assumed to be on par with the NFC team. 

The Broncos beating the Packers broke that streak.

I'm good with the SB lineup though it being in LA at SOFI the amount of thirsty celebs will be unbearable..

Only 49r I truly feel for is Deebo Samuel,  that man is a BEAST and to have to rely on JimmyG as his QB as he did all the heavy lifting...

• Love 6
10 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Since 2000 there have been 22 SBs.  The AFC has sent eight different teams and the NFC has sent twelve different teams.  The AFC East has sent one.  The AFC North has sent two (now three with Cincinnati).

This makes me sad.  The only AFC North team to never go is my team, the. Browns.  Thanx, f*g Elway.  😖😖

But I am glad for Joe Cool II (Montana will always be 1).

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

That entire era the NFC was far superior to the AFC, and the NFCC was often seen as the "real" Super Bowl. And the AFC lost in a series of boring blowouts.

That was the problem. The game was over in the 1st quarter. I was never in a city that had a home interest in the game; we all just wanted to see a good game. The only ones before the Broncos was the Titans and Rams that came down to the final play in 1999, and Niners and Cincy with Montana's 2 minute drive a *decade* earlier. I guess Bills/Giants I, but that was before then too. 

I've decided in my mind that the 49ers' QB room next year should consist of Trey Lance and Ryan Fitzpatrick, however that can happen.  You want to give Lance the job but also have an insurance policy, and Fitzy would be the ideal insurance policy.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

From the Super Bowl in January 1987 (XXI) to January 1996 (XXX) four teams won (49ers and Cowboys three times, Giants and Redskins twice).

Which of course was the gag at the ending of the 1996 "You Only Move Twice" episode of The Simpsons.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Only 49r I truly feel for is Deebo Samuel,  that man is a BEAST and to have to rely on JimmyG as his QB as he did all the heavy lifting...

I would of love to hear from him during the Super Bowl hype instead of OBJ. OBJ & his minions are downright loathsome & he is the complete opposite of Deebo Samuel. Thanks for nothing Jimmy G.

10 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Last year the Chiefs were insistent that Tampa not fire off their home stadium’s cannons when they scored. I wonder if there are any such debates this year.

I have no problem with the Bucs firing off their cannons in the Super Bowl last year. The Chiefs should of been more focused on the game instead of the home stadium cannons firing after a score. Maybe they wouldn't of gotten their asses kicked by Tom Brady.

The only debate I see about that this Super Bowl is that stupid PA announcer shouting "RAMS HOUSE" every time they make a big play.

EDIT: - Hallejuah!! Its finally official. Tom Brady announced his retirement on Instagram

Edited by Magog

Despite what I said on Saturday (which is mainly directed at TB12 the player & not TB12 the human being), what an awesome run.  What a career.  No need to rehash the greatness there.  Best NFL player, period.  And will be forever

• Love 6

So many people were dragging Schefter for his report and how he was wrong.  (I always thought he'd be proven right.)

And now those same people, who can't blame Schefter for "making stuff up" are after him for releasing the news early.

• Love 1

Okay I said when the news broke early that Tom was an ass for doing it right before the Conference Championships.   I said he should wait until Tuesday so the Conference games can get attention, then there is time for his announcement and it will die down in time for the Super Bowl to get attention.    Looks like Tom though the same way.

There will be other amazing QBs.  Tom Brady wasn't the GOAT when he started 22 years ago.   he had a damn fine run.   He deserves what he earned.   He put in the work and he elevated those around him.   But there will be others after him.   The game goes on.

• Love 4

Got to be honest.  I disliked him a lot less once he left New England.   Probably because he was out of the Steelers conference and we wouldn't have to play against him anymore unless we went to a Super Bowl. 

He was one hell of a QB.  And for that I have to say see you in Canton.

• Love 2

I never once thought that Adam was lying.  There no history of it.  At least for the most part.  What was questionable was that Jay Glazer was quiet about it, and I think he's usually the one that's on point with inside stuff.

However, with Brady, it would make sense that Schefter was right.  Just like his speculation on Tom's exit from N.E. in 2019.

Given my history with reality television & taped material, whenever you do that, chances are that the info gets out before it airs.  For instance, Bovada (or whomever) had to stop taking bets on the winner of the Amazing Race.  People were betting the house on the eventual winner within a season, and it happen on 3 consecutive seasons (all within a 12-month period).  Then there's Survivor where the entire bootlist was correctly posted (usually in a star studded season exclusive to returning players).

I don't know when Episode 10 of Man In The Arena was taped, but it's a shame that Schefty and company sorta ruined things.  However, it's normal behavior and not too much of a big deal from Adam.  He had to do what he did as reports on Brady's decision were starting to become public.  With ESPN staying firm on Tom's decision, it's not a surprise since they have access to Tom's documentary.

At the end of the day, if Tom Brady had announced a 2022 return, then it wouldn't be that Schefter & Jeff Darlington were wrong.  It would be due to TB12 changing his mind

• Love 1

I was never a fan of his as a Patriot, because I got sick of seeing Bellicheck all the time (why couldn’t you do for Cleveland what you did for Boston?  Oh yeah, Fart Modell).  But as a personality, champion, and role model, he has been extraordinary considering he could’ve been a Diva with all the accolades.  Yes, he left Bridget pregnant, but they have a good relationship now.  And he’s stayed married and faithful to Gisele, and it’s obvious he’s now putting them first.  Esp as Jack is now more involved in sports.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

As mentioned, there will be other QBs that might surpass him.  In other words, people that might have a chance to do that and likely will not but have a ton of success.  We were getting that now with him still playing (Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar).

No one could bet on Brady surpassing Montana.  Joe played his entire career in a different era.  I think he played about 6 years less.  Currently the best shot for anyone matching Brady/Belichick is Taylor & Joe.  I don't think Zac is old, and Burrow is about as old as Tom was when the Brady Era got going.

It's tough to win in the NFL, and I imagine the league will succeed in making sure there's variety & parity.  Mahomes may win again, but not much more.  Allen could get there, but maybe as much as Peyton and Ben got.  Lamar probably could win one or two, but that's it.  Fortunately he's a part of a team that's one of three in terms of the best ownership (New England & Pittsburgh are the other two).  They have a complete team, and are right there in the end.  Complete as in ownership, management, coaching, and players.

Anyway, I don't think I'll see anything like the Brady Era again for the rest of my life or the next 40 years, whichever is longer, and that's okay!  I prefer seeing something different every-so-often, and yes, that includes my own team.  Sure it would be nice to get to (and win) the Superbowl annually, especially if it's your own team.  However, a level-playing field is best for the NFL.  This isn't the NBA where the dynasty thing was a thing.  In dynasty, I mean 3 years of the same two teams at the end, 3-peats and several repeats.

Brady and even Bill worked hard to get there, but IMO, they might have had help and or an edge.  To be fair, they still got beat a ton (Peyton & Denver, Eli, Ravens).  So they didn't win every year, but they were right there all the time

40 minutes ago, Carey said:

I prefer seeing something different every-so-often, and yes, that includes my own team. 

I agree with you.  The playoff games this year showed how exciting it is when either team no matter if they are favored can win or lose.  I was a kid in the 70s when the Steelers won four SBs.  I don't remember much about that except getting glasses at McDonalds with three Steelers on them.   I'm sure other team's fans hated us.  Much the same way I hated the Patriots.   Not sure any team will be able to duplicate what the previous teams have done winning multiple SBs in a short period of time.   And that I think is good for all football fans.  Gives hope to any team's fans.  Well almost any team.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Yes, he left Bridget pregnant, but they have a good relationship now.

This particular narrative needs to stop.  He and Moynahan had broken up before she found out she was pregnant; he did not leave her pregnant.

Anyway, I do think Adam Schefter and Jeff Darlington deserve a ton of criticism for the way they broke the news.  This should've been Brady's announcement to make.  He's the GOAT and earned the right to announce his retirement on his own terms, which was also clearly intentionally timed not to overshadow the conference championships and to give the news enough time before the Super Bowl to die down (hopefully).  Schefter and Darlington couldn't just wait a few days and let him announce the news himself; they just had to be first.  It's gross and shitty, and, no matter how they're trying to spin it, this is not "news" that just needed to be reported ASAP.  Hell, everyone knew Rapistberger was going to retire, but he was allowed to break the news publicly and make it official himself.

I'm glad Brady is going out on top and, unlike a few other athletes, didn't feel the need to engage in some sort of "this is my final season" fanfare victory lap.  He's just walking away.  I respect that; it's very GOAT-like behavior, actually.

Enjoy the next phase, Tommy, now stop with the crazy smoothies and go eat some damn pizza.

• Love 9

Tom is a very involved parent with Jack. My co-worker's son goes to the same school as Jack and says Tom shows up to PTC's and school events and is just a regular parent. So this narrative that he abandoned Bridget and Jack needs to stop. He and Bridget broke up before she found out she was pregnant but he never abandoned Jack.

Anyway, he is the GOAT. He is Michael Jordan levels of GOAT. Minus the psycho taking everything personally part.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 3