Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I saw a clip from the NFL  Awards and it looks like Aaron Rodgers has given up on the whole personal grooming thing.

Aaron Rodgers' look right now is "6th most important person in a wrestling faction".

Edited by Fukui San
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can't believe there is discussion about Devin Hester as a first ballot HOFer. 

He'll make it. Great player. But unless you are named Adam Vinatieri and made same of the biggest kicks in history and won superbowls, you aren't a first ballot HOFer as a special teams player. 

For real.  If there was a discussion to be had, it should've been directed more toward Ware.

By the way, I didn't mention senior Cliff Branch, coach Dick Vermeil, and contributor & former official Art Mcnally as non-modern folks for the Class of 2022.  Fortunately there is a coaches category as the log jam returns (after it sorta was taken care of by putting in receivers on the first try PLUS getting in Boselli after Faneca a year ago).

Roamyn, not sure about LaFleur.  I respect the argument for him, but he still had Aaron Rodgers for over 90% of the games.  I'm disagreeing because of that coupled with the fact that Vrabel hit the Top seed in the AFC with most of his team, including Derrick Henry, out and/or on IR.  If Matt had won it, I would have had zero problem with the decision

I think a lot of the voters discount a coach when he's got the MVP on his team.  Think of the NBA and Phil Jackson.  He only won coach of the year once.  Voters probably thought with Michael Jordan, and later Shaq & Kobe with the Lakers, anyone could have won 11 championships.  

Vrabel certainly deserved it this year with the number of injuries the Titans had.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Calvada said:

I think a lot of the voters discount a coach when he's got the MVP on his team.  Think of the NBA and Phil Jackson.  He only won coach of the year once.  Voters probably thought with Michael Jordan, and later Shaq & Kobe with the Lakers, anyone could have won 11 championships.  

Vrabel certainly deserved it this year with the number of injuries the Titans had.  

Yes in Phil's defense, both those teams had coaches before him with those groups and couldn't win. 

It's here.   Super Bowl Sunday.    Who you got winning?

Me,  I think the teams are pretty evenly matched.   But I am leaning Bengals just because I like Joe Burrow, and I remember the Bengals losing to the 49ers TWICE in the 80s.   On the other hand, the Lions West might just do it.   Yes, I am rooting for Stafford to finally get a Ring.

Really, I just want a good game with no serious injuries and not a blow out by Halftime.  

• Love 3

I wonder how many people are going to sign up for a free trial of Peacock today?

My hubby is binging Snowpiercer and asked how long he could have the TV today.  I gave him to about 4-4:30, because without my team in it, I am not watching eight hours of pregame.  I just want to make sure I don’t miss AtB and the SSB.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

It's here.   Super Bowl Sunday.    Who you got winning?

Me,  I think the teams are pretty evenly matched.   But I am leaning Bengals just because I like Joe Burrow, and I remember the Bengals losing to the 49ers TWICE in the 80s.   On the other hand, the Lions West might just do it.   Yes, I am rooting for Stafford to finally get a Ring.

Really, I just want a good game with no serious injuries and not a blow out by Halftime.  

Same.  I’m not a petty fan who doesn’t want the Rams to win because of OBJ.  He was never a good fit for Cleveland, and he was always injured.  So if he gets a ring, so what.  It’s not like he’s a Native NE Ohioan *coughLeBroncough*.

But the Bengals (no nickname today) are AFC North, and it’s Joe Cool II.  It would be awesome if he could get the CFP, Heisman, ROY, CPOY, and SB in the span of three years.

Then I can remind Bengals fans that we swept them this year, and it’ll be a good rivalry going forward.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I am not watching eight hours of pregame.  I just want to make sure I don’t miss AtB and the SSB.

I wouldn't want to watch any of the pregame stuff. Most of it sucks & an absolute torture to tolerate. Plus, taking a nice nap before the big game is more productive than watching the Super Bowl Pregame.

3 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I’m not a petty fan who doesn’t want the Rams to win because of OBJ.

I do. Because Stephen A Smith, LeBron (one of his BFF's), & Drake are rooting for him, so that another reason to root against him & those sorry Rams. I also don't want the Rams to win because Sean McVay really irks me with his smugness & his know-it-all attitude. Plus, he is very unlikeable. 

Besides, A Super Bowl Victory Parade in Los Angeles will absolutely suck. 

9 minutes ago, Magog said:
18 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I do. Because Stephen A Smith, LeBron (one of his BFF's), & Drake are rooting for him, so that another reason to root against him & those sorry Rams. I also don't want the Rams to win because Sean McVay really irks me with his smugness & his know-it-all attitude. Plus, he is very unlikeable. 

Who cares if they’re rooting for him?  They don’t cause my opinions.  I just ignore the blowhards (except when Stephen A is trolling the Cowboys - that shit’s hilarious).  

Besides, Matthew Stafford finally wining would be a great ending to a great season story.  Almost as good as Kurt Warner’s.

Like I ageed with @merylinkid, as long as it’s a good game, it’s a win win whoever takes the title, in my book.

• Love 4

Showing how little I’ve been actually thinking about the SB for the past two weeks, it JUST occurred to me that Cris Collinsworth is calling the Bengals in their biggest game in 33 years.

And ya know what?  If Cincy wins, I won’t be mad if Cris gets a little emotional about it.

• Love 2

Count me in as someone that will be forgoing 8 hours of pregame.  FWIW, in addition to the game, there are the commercials, plus the Anthem and, yes: even the Halftime show.

I'll probably have them on in the background (or not).  ESPN & NFLN end things around 2 PM EST, making way for NBC.  No need to watch it.  There isn't anything new (outside of the typical) that's happening that didn't take place this past week.  Besides, I'll be on CBS watching Big 10 hoops followed by the WM Phoenix Open's Final Round.

Mojoween: Cris has officially be a part of all the Bengals Super Bowl spots (career start AND finish).  I guess it'll make up for the fact that he's not calling a Brady-filled Super Bowl for the first time after five calls of the Big Game

Finally, tonight will be Tafoya's final game after an 11-year SNF career.  It's likely Al Michaels' final call (one of two original SNF/FNIA folks left w/ Collinsworth).  No mention was made last time I checked; just speculation.  CC's future isn't certainly him giving it up.  He ain't young, but he ain't old.  Not sure why he'll need to leave; I could still see him with the team through early 2026

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, morriss said:

Does anybody think that Sean McVay will be better prepared this year, than he was for his other Super Bowl appearance?  

One would hope he learned his lesson.

Scuttlebutt is that Al Michaels may not re-sign with NBC, and instead sign with Amazon Prime to be the new broadcaster for Thursday Night Football.

Hey since you have to pay for Prime, will there be FCC guidelines?  “Holy shit did you see how many fucking tackles Lynch broke with that run?  Goddamn everyone on the defense is playing shitty today.”

• LOL 9

I, too, am not watching any of the 76+ hour pregame show. Hell, I don't even watch it when one of my favorite teams is in the game, it just drags on and on.

I think I'm pulling for the Rams. Stafford is from where I live and I still have a weird crush on Sean McVay, but I won't be disappointed if the Bengals win, either. Just as long as it's a good, close game.

I am fascinated by the halftime show, I have no idea how they are going to bleep out the songs or if the artists will be able to rap clean versions. I can't wait!

• Love 2

Scuttlebutt is that Al Michaels may not re-sign with NBC, and instead sign with Amazon Prime to be the new broadcaster for Thursday Night Football.

It sounds like it's a Conan O'Brien/Jay Leno situation in that they brought in Al's replacement in anticipation of his retirement but he's not ready to retire.

• Love 1

Hoping the Rams don’t crap in their pants like they did years ago (well the offense anyways). Hubby got tickets so is there right now, and I’m sort of jealous but at the same time glad I’m not there so I can be a nervous wreck in the privacy of my home. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, twoods said:

Hoping the Rams don’t crap in their pants like they did years ago (well the offense anyways). Hubby got tickets so is there right now, and I’m sort of jealous but at the same time glad I’m not there so I can be a nervous wreck in the privacy of my home. 

Going to a game, especially this game, sounds like such a stressful endeavor that watching from home sounds delightful.

• Love 6

I'm rooting for the Bengals tonight--they've just been so bad for so long I would love to see the fans enjoy winning the Super Bowl--but I probably give a slight edge to the Rams. Though everyone has been counting out the Bengals from Day One and they just keep finding a way, so who knows!

That all said, I just want it to be a good game, not a blowout one way or the other.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It sounds like it's a Conan O'Brien/Jay Leno situation in that they brought in Al's replacement in anticipation of his retirement but he's not ready to retire.

Bob Costas interviewed Al in his (Costas) latest episode of the HBO show. Al didn't sound like he was interested in retiring. The gist was 'we'll see what's next'. 

Noticing that Stafford and Burrow wear number nine now I’m wondering how often it has happened that both QB’s wear the same number in the Super Bowl.

Also, the best QB number is 11.

You're going retro. Wasn't that Phil Simms' number? 😁

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'm happy for Stafford, Donald and kupp. All deserving and came through in the 4th quarter. 

Screw the city of LA though and another title for them with a team they don't even care much about. 

I’m sorry for giving a “laughing reaction” to your post, but it was just so funny to me that it started so positively and then said screw an entire city, lol.  The Rams were gone from L.A. for 21 years before being back for the last 5-ish, and SoFi is still so new.  It probably takes some time, celebrity and winning  to build up a solid fanbase.

If you Google the Rams now, fireworks come up on the search results (on iOS).  That’s nice.

I am happy for the Rams and sorry for the Bengals. I wouldn’t say it was the best gameplay of the season, but it was a close game, so that was fun.  And the commercials were better this year than last (when we were all the height of the pandemic, so understandable), I thought.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 5

Congrats to the Rams, McVey, Darnold, Bell, OBJ, and esp Stafford.  It wasn’t his best game, but when the game was on the line in the 4th, he put it together.  *With a little help from the Bengals defense, who went all Cowboys for some reason.

Really the only two who should’ve been considered for MVP was Krupp and Darnold.  Maybe Robinson.

Congrats to the Bengals for putting up one hell of a fight.  But I do question the last call, going for a pass w/a weak, tired OL, when you only need a yard.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I’m sorry for giving a “laughing reaction” to your post, but it was just so funny to me that it started so positively and then said screw an entire city, lol.  The Rams were gone from L.A. for 21 years before being back for the last 5-ish, and SoFi is still so new.  It probably takes some time, celebrity and winning  to build up a solid fanbase.

If you Google the Rams now, fireworks come up on the search results (on iOS).  That’s nice.

I am happy for the Rams and sorry for the Bengals. I wouldn’t say it was the best gameplay of the season, but it was a close game, so that was fun.  And the commercials were better this year than last (when we were all the height of the pandemic, so understandable), I thought.

The NFL had been trying for a LONG time to get a team back in LA before the rams returned and couldn't do it because of LAs basic lack of interest in the league. So it goes deeper than the rams have only been back five years and oh great now they get two teams in the city. 

But sure.....another title for LA and their bandwagon celebs that all show up for the superbowl.  

Though I'll give LeBron the benefit of the doubt he may actually have been rooting for Cincy

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Congrats to the Rams, McVey, Darnold, Bell, OBJ, and esp Stafford.  It wasn’t his best game, but when the game was on the line in the 4th, he put it together.  *With a little help from the Bengals defense, who went all Cowboys for some reason.

Really the only two who should’ve been considered for MVP was Krupp and Darnold.  Maybe Robinson.

Congrats to the Bengals for putting up one hell of a fight.  But I do question the last call, going for a pass w/a weak, tired OL, when you only need a yard.

Should have been a quick pass where the pass rush doesn't matter.  Plus they just tried to run it and were stopped cold. 

Good Game overall, though the refs managed to played a big role despite not throwing many flags.  Missed pass int on the long td and all at once rams about to score and flags every play. 

It's interesting for a qb how a superbowl win chances so much about perception. Stafford I think suddenly is on the hall of fame list now. Last year he wasn't near it. 

If Matt Ryan hadn't blown a 25 point superbowl lead he'd be there too. They've had very similar careers.  And Ryan really did play a big role late in the 4th losing that game.  Didn't use the clock and took a big sack on 3rd down to put them out of fg range. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

The Rams were gone from L.A. for 21 years before being back for the last 5-ish, and SoFi is still so new.  It probably takes some time, celebrity and winning  to build up a solid fanbase.

Yeah, we didn't have a team for a long time, and adopted other teams (and some of us had other teams as our primaries to begin with, as this is very much not a one-sports town), so when we suddenly had not one but two again, we weren't going to suddenly be all in for one of them.  The Rams grew on me (I was a Raiders fan the first time around) over their second and third seasons here.  I'm still a Giants fan first and foremost, as I always was, but the Rams became my local team I root for wholeheartedly.

I haven't been to SoFi yet, though, as I'm not into crowds during a pandemic.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The NFL had been trying for a LONG time to get a team back in LA before the rams returned and couldn't do it because of LAs basic lack of interest in the league. So it goes deeper than the rams have only been back five years and oh great now they get two teams in the city. 

But sure.....another title for LA and their bandwagon celebs that all show up for the superbowl.  

Though I'll give LeBron the benefit of the doubt he may actually have been rooting for Cincy

LeBron is a big pal of OBJ's; he was probably rooting for the Rams.

When he was in Cleveland, LeBron attended an Indians-Yankees playoff game wearing a Yankee's cap.  He was born and raised in Akron, about 30 miles out of Cleveland.  Said the Yankees were his favorite baseball team because they won so much.  This did not endear him to Clevelanders.  I don't think he feels a lot of loyalty to sports teams in Ohio.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Rootbeer said:

When he was in Cleveland, he once attended an Indians-Yankees playoff game wearing a Yankee's cap.  He was born and raised in Akron, about 30 miles out of Cleveland.  Said the Yankees were his favorite baseball team because they won so much.  This did not endear him to Clevelanders.

I'd forgot that about LeBron being a Yankees fan, so you could be right....was just trying for once to not think the worst of him.  

Plus he is up for a razzie so needs LA behind him. 

12 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

When he was in Cleveland, LeBron attended an Indians-Yankees playoff game wearing a Yankee's cap.  He was born and raised in Akron, about 30 miles out of Cleveland.  Said the Yankees were his favorite baseball team because they won so much.  This did not endear him to Clevelanders.  I don't think he feels a lot of loyalty to sports teams in Ohio.

That was his first stint w/the Cavs.  Aft that he was all in on the Indians, esp the 2016 run.  

And as a proud Clevelander, even tho I haven’t lived there since 2008 I will always be one, I understand his perspective.  My daughter, who is only a few years younger than LBJ is a big Skankees fan because they won, while the Tribe languished from the early 90s to the mid 2000s.

One quick thing I'll say about the "stars" at the Super Bowl.  Really a couple: It's the Superbowl & they typically surface for the Big Game.  Didn't really focus on them; in fact, I can't recall who NBC showed during the typical celebrity shots whenever a sporting event happens on television for games played in Los Angeles or New York.

I was too invested in the game to care about the stars.  I'll watch them in their work elsewhere when I decide to care about them.  Nonetheless, yet another title for LA.  While it sucks for St. Louis, I'm not sure I should feel super bad for them, for personal reasons.  Still, there were a ton of players on the Rams that did enough in their careers to win the title.  I'm happy for them.  I'm not sure what's next, but in 5 years or so, if things crumble, then at least they'll always have 2021, whereas some teams going all in might not even reach the Super Bowl

I can’t believe they made Michele ask Aaron to declare right after the game if he was going to retire.  The man just won the Super Bowl.  Can he take a minute to celebrate before he decides his future?

Also and I know this is very silly but for some reason when anyone fully says Los Angeles I feel like they are going to follow it with The Los Angeles Rams of Anaheim.

Also also this is the eighth year in a row the team who won the toss lost the game.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Don't know if you knew, but not only did this win give the Rams a title in every place they've been (first Cleveland, then St. Louis, and now L.A. [L.A. had another one in 1951]), but also erased an almost four-decade drought since the Raiders got the first one for the City of Angels in the Super Bowl era by doing it over Washington in XVIII in '84 (for the 1983 season).

Edited by bmasters9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Wasn't really sure the point of The Rock's introduction at the start of the game. 

The other network already had Michael Buffer and his "let's get ready to rumble". That Dwayne Johnson still has his wrestler promo chops and dropping into The Rock works to promote his show.

14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

More like the county understood their position of power and refused to buy a new stadium for the NFL. It took a speculator to build his own and just as soon as one did it a second NFL team arrived.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

They were trying to get back into LA as long as the city/state gifted them a new stadium. They were OK with not having a team there because it offered them leverage in negotiations with other cities with respect to publicly subsidized new/renovated stadiums.

Then Stan Kroenke said "I need a team for the new stadium development I have planned for LA." And paid for it himself. (He actually gave a shout out to Sofi when he got the Lombardi.)

The interesting thing about the Rock's appearance is that he one of the owners of the new XFL which kicks off this spring. The NFL obviously does not feel threatened.

• Love 2

What's funny (to me, not funny at all) is that about a couple days before the Super Bowl & its return to LA, I remember the Rock's appearance in the first XFL game where he joked about how there was no football in Los Angeles, and how it was back with the XFL

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

The interesting thing about the Rock's appearance is that he one of the owners of the new XFL which kicks off this spring.

The XFL, of which Rock is an owner, starts play in early 2023. The USFL, of which Rock is not involved, starts play this spring. I know, it's hard to keep all these retread league names straight.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

So, the Bengals lost their first SB by five points, their second by four, their third by three...so I guess they're going to lose their fourth by two, their fifth by one, and then – since there can't be a tie – finally win one by one point on their sixth attempt.

Great.  Can't wait.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2