Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Okay, picking SF tonight.   Because I want a 49ers-Bengals rematch.    Maybe the Bengals can win this time?

Laughed my ASS off when Romo made a crack about balls getting dropped for field goals in the playoffs and Jim Nantz totally missed it.   Hey Tony, that was FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.   No one cares.  

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Popples said:

Crazy. I know I shouldn't like the Bungles but I like Joe Burrow.

Me too.  As a Browns fan, they are out in-state rivals, but Burrows is such a nice guy and he’s a tOSU alum.  I love KC, but I was so excited when Mahomes got intercepted.

And we swept them TWICE this year.  That could’ve been us if we had a healthy QB.

Edited by roamyn

I am so excited for Cincinnati! I’ve had NFL Sunday Ticket for years and I’ve enjoyed watching the Bengals improve the last couple of seasons.    
I am a GB fan that lives in a state that loves their Chiefs, so I am not sad they lost….yes, I’m a petty b*tch, lol! 😂

ETA-I feel the same way you do, about Mixon, mojoween.

Edited by PurpleGirl43
Just now, cambridgeguy said:

There seem to be a decent number of red shirts in the LA crowd.  Looks like that plan to prevent Niners fans from buying tickets didn't work so well.

It was never going to work.  LA people are year-round folks that somehow have enough money to do nothing and get away with it.  Or so I'm told.

They're more Lakers (and to a lesser extent, Dodgers).  Rams mean nothing to them, but they'd consider it if & when they win

7 minutes ago, Carey said:

It was never going to work.  LA people are year-round folks that somehow have enough money to do nothing and get away with it.  Or so I'm told.

They're more Lakers (and to a lesser extent, Dodgers).  Rams mean nothing to them, but they'd consider it if & when they win

There also wasn’t a football team here in what, 20 years? It gave people time to follow other teams, and the ones like my husband who never had a “team” now follow the Rams, and they do care whether they win or lose.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

I hope the Niners don't make it where they play in L.A. twice (beating the Rams, and then being in Super Bowl LVI)!

One of the reasons why I didn't want to see the Niners make the Super Bowl was that I don't need to see a repeat of a game that just happened 2 years ago.  That's why I was so happy that Tampa lost (since it looked like the Chiefs were on the way back despite me picking against them today).

I didn't see San Francisco having the tools to beat the Chiefs (esp the QB).  Any other match-up would've been great.

Niners vs Bengals would be pretty good.  Not sure how I'd feel if Cincy went 0-3, all to the Niners, but for people from Western PA, someone tying the Steelers is no longer a big deal.

Can't speak for anyone here, but several of my best friends did not give a damn even back in 2018 when New England got there (a year before the 49ers almost did).  When your team has so under-performed, while having a franchise future HOF QB in his prime, that's on the team.  Plus, there's nothing they or I can do about what happens on the field.  As I get old(er) in life, I think of that with time passing.

I totally get a rival chances of playing at So-Fi twice, but for me, I have the best control on what I do, not what a sports team does.  Nothing's automatic, but as a fan, it's only a game.

Just stuff even my parents have preached.  Otherwise, I'd die get way too much involved in sports & the result

• Useful 1

I have a coworker who refuses to root for San Francisco because he doesn't want them to tie the Steelers six SB wins.  Even though the Patriots already tied it.  Any team matching our SB wins doesn't take away anything from the Steelers.  Only the Steelers can take away from themselves.   Which sadly they have done lately.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ifionlyknew said:

I have a coworker who refuses to root for San Francisco because he doesn't want them to tie the Steelers six SB wins.  Even though the Patriots already tied it.  Any team matching our SB wins doesn't take away anything from the Steelers.  Only the Steelers can take away from themselves.   Which sadly they have done lately.

I knew someone who said the same thing during the Ravens/49ers Super Bowl. I was like, but it's the Ravens! How do you not want them to lose? I moved by the time the Patriots did it so I can't say how she felt then.

I didn't have any rooting interest coming into this weekend, but now I'm totally pulling for the Bengals in the Super Bowl no matter what. They've been so awful for so long, the team and the fans deserve some happiness!

That was a great comeback but boy, is KC going to be kicking itself for the next few weeks.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, cincivic said:

As a life long Cincinnati Bengals fan, I am simply overjoyed!!!

Congrats!  As lifelong Buc's fans, Mr. Chat & I have been through the pain of losing seasons, and we've felt the joy of winning ones!  I truly understand your excitement!  Enjoy this and good luck in the SB!! 

• Love 3

cincivic, we're from the same area that Cris Collingsworth played high school football at.    His school was a rival of ours!  I would see his name in the paper frequently, and especially when he played for the Univ. of Florida.  He was a big deal!  We would watch him when he played for the Bengals, and since then we've followed his broadcasting career, so we've always like the Bengals.   Of course, who couldn't like Boomer and Ickey Woods!   It was great seeing Boomer & Ickey at the game.   

2 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

So we're not changing OT rules now?

Well, technically both teams got their hands on the ball, so it was kind of like each team getting a turn!!

• Love 3

I might discuss the Mixon thing on a later date (esp as it relates to what people still say about Big Ben and Ray Lewis), but to be brief, Hill isn't an angel, but to lead into my post here, Tyreek already has his ring.

Nonetheless, the Bengals winning is definitely awesome.  I'm not a Cincy fan as I'm Western PA, but I've been to Cincinnati several times.  Despite what Burrow has said in the past, I've had a blast.  I enjoyed my time there.  If there's ever a place I'd move to that doesn't have the best weather, other than New York, Cincinnati would be it.

In two weeks, just like 49ers/Ravens, I'm rooting for a great game.  Not sure if I'd sit through 43-8 or 55-10 or whatever.  13-3 was better since it was defense vs defense.

8 minutes ago, Popples said:
12 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I knew someone who said the same thing during the Ravens/49ers Super Bowl. I was like, but it's the Ravens! How do you not want them to lose? I moved by the time the Patriots did it so I can't say how she felt then.

That was a unique year.  Baltimore winning was a big deal for me that year.  I won in 2013 and went 11-11.  Nearly repeated that feat two years later but settled for 9-11 (no thanks to the Cowboys and Broncos).

The pain was San Francisco tying Pittsburgh after they passed them in 1994 and had a lead for over a decade.  Or it was seeing Ray Lewis retire a winner.  You probably wanted to see the Ravens lose to New England.  At that time, Belichick was still behind Chuck Noll for most superbowl titles as a HC.  When the Ravens rolled through the playoffs, it was nice, but it kinda sucked for that reason since I knew that Belichick was going to completely surpass the record anyway, while the Niners (and even Dallas) could tie the Steelers before 2019.

As mentioned, when your team is more than hopeless, who cares what anyone else does.  It sort of hurt that Cincinnati beat the Chiefs twice in the same season the Chiefs beat the Steelers.  There is a little bit of pettiness involved.  Seeing Brady struggle against Baltimore a ton, but still embarrassing the Steelers was not cool.  The thing is, those happened when all three were very good teams.

The Bengals winning will be cool.  That way, they'd go from the team with the longest playoff drought to the team with the shortest playoff drought immediately.  Best chance for that to happen now.  Everybody on Planet Earth knows that the Detroit Lions will never hit that feat

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I am physically pained by Skowronek not catching that TD pass.

I’m actually rooting for the Niners, and feel pretty gross about it, but that throw was a beauty, and to see it skip off that kid’s hands in slo-mo was sad.

1 minute ago, ifionlyknew said:

As an old fogey, I count championships, not just Super Bowls, since the NFL existed decades before the Super Bowl.  There are three teams with more championships than the Steelers and Patriots.  The Giants have 8, Bears have 9, and Packers have 13.  Perhaps it will make your co-worker feel better to know that even if the 49ers win the SB this year, the 49ers, Steelers, and Patriots all will have some work to do just to get on the podium!

When I think of Cincinnati in a Super Bowl, what comes to mind is the horrible injury Tim Krumrie suffered in SB 23.  He is from Wisconsin, played his college ball at Wisconsin, and all football fans in Wisconsin were devastated when that happened.  I remember going to work the next day and everyone talking about him in hushed tones usually reserved for a death in the family. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, mojoween said:

FOX’s little football on the scorebug next to the score of the team with possession is driving my hubs insane.  When he first saw it he thought it said the score was negative 7 to 7.

Ha - I went through that with my dad last month.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Calvada said:

When I think of Cincinnati in a Super Bowl, what comes to mind is the horrible injury Tim Krumrie suffered in SB 23. 

I remember that, too.  It was on a par with Joe Theismann's gruesome injury.  It happened early in the game and although they made the game competitive, I don't think the Bengals ever really recovered. 

I was stationed in South Korea for the Bengals' first trip to the SB, and we watched it in our barracks on Monday morning (time differential).  My "cold" kept me from going into work that day.

Damn it!! The Rams & that wretched OBJ are going to be very insufferable for 2 weeks. I am not happy about them coming back down 10 points in the 4th Quarter. I can't wait to see how Sean McVay & those sorry scummy Rams mess this up in 2 weeks, just like they did against the Patriots a few yrs ago. Hopefully, we won't be hearing any "Rams House" in the Super Bowl.

OBJ being in the Super Bowl makes me sick. I know that LeBron is a friend of his, so I'm certain he's happy for him. 

I hope that loser Jared Goff is crying in the corner somewhere.

As for the Bengals, I'm happy for their comeback & especially their fans. Except for Mike Brown, he doesn't deserve any happiness. We don't hear very much about his ineptness.

BTW, Stan Kroenke can get also get bent.

Edited by Magog

Hate to say it, but that last play was Jimmy G in a nutshell. Congrats to Matt Stafford, you have most definitely paid your dues.

As to the AFC, I don't know what the Bengals defensive coaches came up with at halftime but major kudos to them.

• Love 3

I have a weird crush on Sean McVay (I know, I don't get it either) so I'm happy to get to watch him for another game. I don't really have a favorite between LA and Cincy so I'll be fine with whoever wins, as long as it's as exciting as the last two weekends of football have been.