Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I am a Green Bay fan, and while I’m terribly disappointed in how the season ended, I cannot muster much sympathy for #12. At all. While I didn’t want to see the Packers lose, it was a struggle to root for him.  Stay, go, cut your hair, shut your pie hole, Rodgers.  

Edited by PurpleGirl43
  • Love 10
30 minutes ago, PurpleGirl43 said:

I am a Green Bay fan, and while I’m terribly disappointed in how the season ended, I cannot muster much sympathy for #12. At all. While I didn’t want to see the Packers lose, it was a struggle to root for him.  Stay, go, cut your hair, shut your pie hole, Rodgers.  

Early in the season, I was hoping for a mid season trade to get Rodgers to the Steelers. Now, you can keep him. At least we are getting rid of the bloated whale in the backfield.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

What is going on with the Chiefs' kicker? It's like he saw the previous three games won in the last seconds by field goals and the pressure got to him. He's missed a field goal and a PAT so far.

I'm loving these close games, though.

1 hour ago, Carey said:

The NFL decided that they will no longer be testing anyone for COVID for the rest of the postseason

The players' association agreed to it because, going into this weekend, there were only about a dozen unvaccinated players on the remaining teams.  Unvaccinated players had been required to take daily tests unless they'd already tested positive in the past 90 days.

Instead, any player exhibiting symptoms will be tested regardless of vaccination status.

Obviously, there are now probably only about half a dozen unvaccinated players.

ETA: I am only posting about inanities to keep from screeching at the TV waiting to see what happens in this last game.  What a great weekend of football!  Go Bills!

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

his treatment of Bridget Moynihan,

I've read her statement about TB, and she said that they broke up before she knew she was pregnant with his child.  Once she told him, he was supportive.  By then he had already met Gisele and he had to break the news to her.  Kudos to Bridget & her husband, and TB & Gisele, as they all co-parent in a civil manner.  Bridget even said that her son has that many more people to love him, and she seemed genuinely at peace with that.  Outside of that, I have no idea what "treatment" may or may not have happened.

1 hour ago, Calvada said:

I'm a Packers fan (one of my earliest memories is watching/agonizing over the Pack with my dad; I was born during their run in the 60s but I have no memory of that; what I do remember is a lot of lean years in the 70s and 80s) and everyone in this forum is delighting in their loss because they all despise Rodgers. 

The Bucs and the Packers have had some really good games against each other over the years!  Warren Sapp talked about his rivalry with Brett Favre.   They were fun to watch back in the day.  I think he & Favre enjoyed the competition (from interviews I've seen since then.)  Those are some good memories. 

1 hour ago, Carey said:

The NFL decided that they will no longer be testing anyone for COVID for the rest of the postseason

I guess they've caught up with most of the working world.  It's about time.  

• Love 3

Holy hell, what a game!  This has been a terrific weekend of football!

Getting rid of overrated clowns like the Cowboys and Eagles in the wildcard round gave us a divisional round of four extremely close finishes.  And one that sent those asshats Brady and Rodgers packing, so I can relax and enjoy the Super Bowl, no matter who's in it. 

• Love 11

And the fans have to do that stupid chant!  You'd think they'd realize how awful it sounds!

And, yes, I think it would be better if each team got a possession in OT. The current rules make the coin toss way too important.  Random chance should not decide the game,

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 9

All credit to the Bills and Josh Allen, but you come at the King, you best not miss. And the Bills D missed. There's no way you should get points from your own 25 yd line with 13 seconds left.

There was a reason this was the last game of the weekend. This should be a rivalry to watch for years.

• Love 12

What a game!  I'll pick my SB teams next weekend, but right now, despite everything the 40th Anniversary of Super Bowl XVI is (and will be) best celebrated with the same teams from 1981-1982.  If I had to pick & if both teams fix their errors, which they've proven to do this season.  Can't wait!

• Love 2

When they got to the 7, I said, just get it to Kelce.   Bam.

Josh Allen looked STUNNED.   I don't blame him.   When the Bills scored with 13 seconds, I said, Bengals going to Buffalo.   I figured with all the other games being won on a last second field goal, this would be lost on a missed field goal.   But somehow, Mahomes and Co. got it to decent range and it was all tied up.   

Just WOW.   KC, only home to win this weekend (last weekend only one home lost, we shall not mention which team it was).

Bills got nothing to be ashamed of this season.  They played well.   Just someone had to win this game.  

At least all the rabid Anti-Vaxxers are finally eliminated.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Rats. Well, congratulations Kansas City. I really wanted Bills to win.

I did too.  I feel for the long suffering Bills fans.  And Josh Allen was the steal of the 1st round in his draft.  I say this as a Browns fans.

I blame hubby for the loss.  He said the Bills won, and I told him they left 10 sec too many on the clock.

At least Mahomes is not offensive, like Ben or Aaron.  And Kielce is from my hometown (tho he graduated from Shaker Heights, OH, he was born in Westlake)

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

The Super Bowl will probably pale in comparison to this. 

It's the complete opposite of last weekend's slate of games.  

And we still have the Championship games to go. 

I think I'm rooting for Cincinnati this year which guarantees they wont win.

1 hour ago, PurpleGirl43 said:

I didn’t want to see the Packers lose, it was a struggle to root for him.  

You're speaking my language.   It has been such a rollercoaster. 

I'm back to thinking a big trade might be the best.

• Love 2

Holy cow, what an amazing weekend of football. Games down to the wire, kickers showing their value, and a game that had me on the edge of my seat into OT. I feel like next weekend and the Super Bowl can't match this weekend. 

• Love 6

What a great game Bills - Chiefs had become. I would give the Bengals a somewhat 50-50 chance next Sunday. Their owner still sucks, however & just like Jerry Jones, I can't have him witnessing happiness.

Now, we need to make sure that the Rams lose next Sunday. They almost choked it away, but they somehow found a way to win the game. I may appreciate them for today, but they're still those same sorry revolting Rams.  Sean McVay is still a dunce. And I'm not here for an OBJ redemption story & ESPN being gleeful about it.

2 minutes ago, Popples said:

I do wish the NFL's overtime would be more similar to college's. It would have been nice to see what Allen could have done with a possession, then you could go sudden death.

I would find that very irritating. NFL should of left the OT thing alone. It didn't need to be fixed in the first place.

1 minute ago, merylinkid said:

Just WOW.   KC, only home to win this weekend (last weekend only one home lost, we shall not mention which team it was).

We know who it is & it still puts a smile on my face.

• Love 3

First year in a very very very long time (ever, probably) that for this fan the best winner will be AFC.

Poor Buffalo.  The OT rules aren’t perfect, but a FG wouldn’t have ended the game there, defense.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Rootbeer said:

And the fans have to do that stupid chant!  You'd think they'd realize how stupid they sound.

It's awful (and management wants to congratulate itself for banning headdresses and war paint <sigh>). 

I hate the Chiefs' name and chop/chant, but I like Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid; I don't hate the team, I just don't root for them.  I'll be rooting for the NFC per usual (yes, even if it's the 49ers), but at least I won't be disgusted if it's the Bengals or Chiefs instead.  I just hope for a good game.

• Love 9

As a Steeler fan living near Cincy, I can not have Mike Brown ever have nice things, ever. I think the Chiefs should more than consider a name change, but I won’t cry if Mahomes wins. And I have no interest in the ripping of his girlfriend. 

So, then Niners or Rams. I’m a big bag of whatever on both, so will flip a coin.

Like what others said I doubt the SB or championship games are going to match this one. 4 scores under the two minute warning? Insane. I also think that the OT rule is silly because it’s usually the one who wins the coin toss wins. If the Bills won the toss they likely would have scored as well. 
As a long time suffering Bills fan I am just so happy to see some quality football out of them after decades of mediocrity. Maybe one year they will get over the Chiefs hump in the playoffs. But you could tell by all the handshakes and hugs at the end that both teams definitely respect one another.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 9

Okay first of all I am a Bills fan so obviously that was a huge heart breaker! But Kansas City is a great team so I can't say I was surprised. I am happy to see my team not let go without a fight. And Allen played a great game!

But I HATE the stupid overtime rules! They make zero sense! So basically if Allen said "heads" instead of tails we could have won. We lost because of a coin toss! I don't get how in any way it is fair if the team that wins the coin flip, scores a touchdown on the first drive automatically win, without the other team having a chance to have a procession. Unlike hockey, we literally can't score if they have the ball unless we intercept, which probably isn't likely to happen. So shouldn't both teams get a chance at having it and who ever scored more wins. So in this game KC scored a touchdown, we should have got the ball then. If we don't score one on that drive, then they win. If we did the game keeps going. It should be like a Hockey shoot out where the team with the most points win, both teams get equal amount of times to have it at least once.  Or they play the full 15 minutes.

I've always thought this rule was unfair and very stupid! Okay, I get that I am ranting but can someone please to explain to me how and why this exists. Because it has never made any sense to me.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 3

The Bills defense could have stopped the Chiefs in those 13 seconds. At that point, they lost the game. No OT rules can change that.

Still, I wanted overtime to last a bit longer as that is the first game in awhile that kept my attemtion the whole time. It was just fantastic. Yes, Romo can get annoying but I was spared Buck/Aikman for three hours AND got great football out of it.

Seeing Cincy and Buffalo play great football this playoff season makes me realize I have more teams to root for next year.

All in all, a great end to a decent weekend of football....and yes, The SB won't compare to it.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, twoods said:

Like what others said I doubt the SB or championship games are going to match this one. 4 scores under the two minute warning? Insane. I also think that the OT rule is silly because it’s usually the one who wins the coin toss wins. If the Bills won the toss they likely would have scored as well. 
As a long time suffering Bills fan I am just so happy to see some quality football out of them after decades of mediocrity. Maybe one year they will get over the Chiefs hump in the playoffs. But you could tell by all the handshakes and hugs at the end that both teams definitely respect one another.

This one hurts because Buffalo has a great chance, or had a great chance to knock off Cincinnati, and they would've had a home game too.  Then they would've had a decent chance vs the Rams or Niners.  Not saying they'd win (as both those teams are actually pretty damn good), but they'd be okay there.  I'd say they'd be doomed if they went up against the 2020 version of Tampa, but they're going to be okay for a minute.  FWIW, had Tennessee won yesterday, that might have been the only tough test for the Bills.  Next season, they'll have to deal with what should be an improved Patriots team, and in-conference, a healthy Ravens squad.  Then a better Bengals team + the Chiefs, and maybe a returning Bucs squad.  

I'm not a fan of the overtime rules, especially when it comes to tonight's result.  Especially when you factor in the fact that the Bills antagonist was in the same spot in the very same stadium, but with the opposite result (as mentioned).

That being said, I'll take tonight over the college rules all day, any day, period.  Especially now since they changed the rules to a 2-point conversion contest in the 3rd OT and beyond.

I do think that they need to modify it a little bit (and I'll map out what I'd do later); I've often said to try and win in regulation.  Both teams did everything they could in regulation.  This is one of those cases where I can't fault the Bills or even the Chiefs.  Most times, people play for the tie or play it safe and settle for OT, and it costs them.  Kansas City was actually going for the win with 13 seconds left.  That's how you do it

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

The Bills defense could have stopped the Chiefs in those 13 seconds. At that point, they lost the game. No OT rules can change that.

The Chiefs could have won the game in those 13 seconds.  They lost the game because the better team did more and they didn't stop the Chiefs IN overtime.  New England was in the same spot in 2018, and they won the game without Mahomes touching the ball in OT for even a single second.

Credit to Buffalo for coming back twice, both in spots most teams would've die at upon their attempt.  Sure they could've done better & made a stop when it counts the most, but they could've onside kicked in overtime, since the rules are what they are.

IIRC, Joe Flacco scored even faster.  In less time, he hit a strike for a touchdown (which was needed to win).  At least I was able to go 3-1 ATS, (had to go Chiefs outright at -1.5 though the game appeared to be a case where someone could win/lose by one)

• Love 2

Here's my OT proposal xxx Both offenses and defenses are on the opponents 25 yard line. Simultaneously both teams snap the ball. Faster scorer wins. Repeat (if needed) until conclusion. So let it be posted. So let it be done.

PS. NO FG ALLOWED :)

Edited by ketchuplover
found flaw :)
  • LOL 5

Serious question. Would people think differently about the OT rule if there wasn’t a coin flip involved? If it were always the home team, or always the road team, or if they just continued the game state. Like, KC kicks the tying FG as time expires, so the OT begins with the Bills receiving the kickoff and it’s sudden death. 

Whatever the criteria, so long as it’s predictable and you know in advance who’ll get the first crack in OT, then it’d inform your decisions in regulation. Particularly with extra point decisions. 

• Love 2

No, I think both teams should have a chance to score. In every other sport there is an equal opportunity to score in OT- why should it be decided that only one team has the chance to win? Yeah the D should make a stop but these guys are tired already. If the Chiefs scored in OT, then the defense finally stopped Allen and Davis on the ensuing position, then it’s fair. If the Bills won the coin toss, they likely would have won because the coaches finally figured out that with Matthieu being out there is no help deep (and they spent most of their time doubling Diggs). 

• Love 4