Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

As a fan of Green Bay, I am not thrilled with the 49ers match up. Have little faith, it won't be embarrasing. Plus, it's on FOX so I have to suffer through Aikman/Buck for this game....Well, the other games could be watchable.

• Love 2

We always knew the Cowboys fans were classless (for the most part).  Endangering people by throwing things on the field?  (Yes, I know, past Browns fans were classless too by throwing dog bones)

But Dak to approve and encourage that type of behavior?  Well, it just says a lot abt him personally, and it also tells us he’s on the right team.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, roamyn said:

But Dak to approve and encourage that type of behavior?  Well, it just says a lot abt him personally, and it also tells us he’s on the right team.

The reporters cracked up after he said it so I think they thought he was being sarcastic at first?  It didn't really come across like that though and when someone followed up at the end he basically doubled down. 

Maybe the decision to keep your punting unit on the field AFTER a successful fake and running a QB draw with seconds left and no timeouts are more important things to consider? 

Aaron Rodgers is probably thinking that this proves he's the greatest QB of all time - could anyone else have led a Mike McCarthy team to a Super Bowl win?

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

As a Packers fan, I loved it when they got in a 2-minute situation since it meant Rodgers usually would be calling the plays, not Mike McCarthy.  Also, McCarthy specialized in nonsensical challenges (was way too quick to throw the flag) and he handled timeouts terribly, always seeming to give the advantage to the opponent.  

Dak Prescott's comments praising people who threw things at the officials are so wrong.  You don't condone or advocate violence because something didn't go your way.  Be a responsible adult and  take responsibility for the things that went wrong in the game because of your own mistakes.  

• Love 12
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

We always knew the Cowboys fans were classless (for the most part).  Endangering people by throwing things on the field?  (Yes, I know, past Browns fans were classless too by throwing dog bones)

Because throwing dildos on the field as happened Saturday night in the Bills game is so much safer?   Or remember the Eagles throwing BATTERIES on the field?   Not condoning what the Cowboys fans did but let's not call them out like they are the only fans that do this.

Dak was wrong.   HE screwed up by handing the ball to the center instead of the official.   the official HAS to touch ball for it to be officially spotted.   All they had to do was let the ref through to touch the ball and its good.   Doesn't matter when Dak spiked it (he is claiming before time expired) it was an active play UNTIL the official touched the ball.   To then blame the refs for what happened is wrong.   Dak is usually better than this.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

This is not breaking news, but watching the presser reinforces that Jimmy Garoppolo may be the best-looking QB in NFL history.

Phil Simms will always hold a place of honor in my heart, and Michael Vick is stunning, but Jimmy G. … *fans self*

Uhm...did you ever see David Carr? He spent most of his time on the ground during his tenure with the Texans, but Jimmy G is a low rent David Carr.

I got nothing for Ron Mexico or Phil Simms, but give me some Colin Kaepernick, a bit of Mark Sanchez, classic Dan Marino and Mitch Trubisky, yeah I said it. 

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Aaron Rodgers is probably thinking that this proves he's the greatest QB of all time - could anyone else have led a Mike McCarthy team to a Super Bowl win?

Rodgers is never wrong so of course he probably thinks that.  Probably also blames him for the past two years as well.

But I've always felt McCarthy gets unfairly blamed for everything that goes wrong and zero credit for when things go right.

It's hard to win a Super Bowl.  Other than the Patriots, only the Bucs have won more than 1 in the past 20 years.

As a fan of Green Bay, I am not thrilled with the 49ers match up.

Tough match up plus the bye week after a season of slow starts.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's hard to win a Super Bowl.  Other than the Patriots, only the Bucs have won more than 1 in the past 20 years.

Tampa Bay are still the champs, but you have to stretch that timeline out to just under 20 years to even include the Bucs with the Patriots.  If you stretch that timeline out to just over 20 years, you have to include the Ravens as the only teams to win more than one Super Bowl in the timeframe.

If you only counted the past 16 years, you have to include the Steelers (who actually went to 3 Super Bowls) and the Giants (who beat the Patriots twice).

Your point is correct: it's still difficult.  Heck, it's even difficult to get to one let alone win there!  However, more teams have won multiple titles in 20 years than the Patriots & Tampa.  It's not just how great you are; it's about respect & culture.  TB12 emulates that, and New England is one of the two greatest teams in terms of ownership & structure in the NFL.  That's why they've won so many times

Still give credit to Denver, Seattle, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Carolina, Philadelphia and San Francisco for getting there twice in 20 years.  Why not? Several teams haven't even won a playoff game in that timeframe!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Carey said:

If you only counted the past 16 years, you have to include the Steelers (who actually went to 3 Super Bowls) and the Giants (who beat the Patriots twice).

Ooops, you're right.  I was eye balling things. 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Carey said:

Several teams haven't even won a playoff game in that timeframe!

That makes the Cowboys, who have won three playoff games this century and haven't made it past the divisional round since Bill Clinton's first term, look good!  It's something the bottom dwellers can aspire to.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Because throwing dildos on the field as happened Saturday night in the Bills game is so much safer?   Or remember the Eagles throwing BATTERIES on the field?   Not condoning what the Cowboys fans did but let's not call them out like they are the only fans that do this

I didn’t know abt that.  Thank you for pointing it out.  We turned the game off it was so boring.

But my main point was Dak condoning it.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 5

While it scared me, I was glad the refs overturned the first down they gave the 49ers because I knew the fans and others would blame the refs for the Cowboys loss.  But they still want to blame them.  So many reasons NOT to blame the refs.  Running with seconds on the clock was a risk you took- especially after 3 passes were quite successful.  Not sliding sooner was a costly miscalculation.  Counting on the ref to sprint that distance down the field, break through the line, avoid the QB and place the ball as you KNEW he had to do, was a gross misjudgment.  Still, you had time to hike the ball, just not enough to spike it and stop the clock.  All that said, there were so many other reasons the Cowboys lost and getting that ball spiked only meant a small possibility of tying/winning the game.  It was not the refs fault, but they will always be blamed.

While I dislike the Cowboys so much, I try to be fair.  I thought maybe Dak Prescott was a decent guy.  Well, that is out the window after he condoned the behavior of the fans throwing things at the refs.  Hopefully, he will retract that statement today and blame it on the emotional loss.

So, Ben hasn't announced his retirement?  I kind of want him to come back and suck.

So, now that the Cowboys and Steelers are out, I'm fine with whomever wins the Superbowl. I'd rather it not be the Chiefs or Buccaneers, because new champs are always fun (repeats are only fun if it's your team) and Rodgers has been getting on my nerves this year, but I can't say they haven't earned it.  So... whomever.  It would be fun if it was the Bengals.

• Love 2

Ben is done, period.

TBH, Roethlisberger gives the Steelers the best chance at succeeding.  More than Mason & Dwayne.  I think the only QB I'd put over Big Ben is Derek Carr.  That's the best shot at Pittsburgh obtaining a QB in free agency.  A-Rod is not going to the Steelers.  It'll be too expensive with Russell from Seattle, and Matt Ryan would make zero sense in the Black N Gold.  I do have to check Carr's status.  That's likely not going to be for free (and he probably wouldn't ever go to Pittsburgh if he had the choice).  If his contract's up, he'd get the franchise tag I believe.

Anyway, Ben hasn't made it official yet; it's similar to Peyton and Brees where it was totally obvious, turning official days/weeks after their final games.  No need to rush the announcement.  Roethlisberger usually speaks to the media on Wednesday, so he'll possibly confirm it for real then.  If not, it'll be done within a month, but well before Free Agency & the draft.

Any team winning is okay for me as well, including Cincinnati.  IMO, this is the Bengals postseason to lose.  I think their emergence out of the AFC is not difficult at all.  They'll have to win on the road twice, but the 2012 Ravens did it (and I'm seeing a resemblance to a certain extent).  Now, the only team that might stop them from their first title would be Tampa, but the good news is Cincy would face a less superior Bucs team that Kansas City dealt with last year.

Speaking of someone new winning, this is an even year with a leap year date.  Since 1998 (and save for 2006) every Super Bowl winner won the title for the first time in their history (Broncos, Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Seahawks, Eagles).  Sorta good news for about 4 of the remaining 9 teams

• Love 1

It's ridiculous to blame the official for how the game ended; dumbass QB handed the ball to his center instead, so the ump had to sprint down, plow through the line, and spot the ball like he is required to do.  He was clearly doing so as quickly as he could.  Even Tony Romo immediately admitted Prescott screwed up.

And, yes, fuck Prescott for his "Credit to them, then" about face when he finds out the fans - in whom he was disappointed - weren't throwing things at the Cowboys, but at the officials.  But good on him asking his teammates to chip in for the practice squad players, who don't get the same check for playoff games.

• Love 7

Skip Brainless blamed the ref for being 50 yrs old and not as fast a sprinter as a professional football player - and not taking off immediately, like an Olympic sprinter.  Okay, he wasn't that bad and he did admit that it ultimately was the Cowboy's fault, but to even bring it up...

Didn't know Dak asked his teammates to donate to the practice squad.  Nice thought, but I hope he donated generously from his billion dollar paycheck that he didn't earn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

The ref was fine.  He was right there.  It's not about his age.  Most people on the field aren't going to be as fast as professional athletes.  That's why they're professional athletes.

But if he had the ball, they would've been ready to go.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The ref was fine.  He was right there.  It's not about his age.  Most people on the field aren't going to be as fast as professional athletes.  That's why they're professional athletes.

But if he had the ball, they would've been ready to go.

Yup. And that's wholly on Dak. Dude had a MAJOR brain fart. 

• Love 11

That nonsense at the end of the game was not the best move, and quite a blunder as mentioned.  Know the rules, and be aware of the clock at the end of the game.  People can ignore the criticism of clock management all they want, but unless they address it in private, these things will continue to occur.

IMO, and as mentioned, had they had enough time for the play, there was no guarantee Dallas was going to win the game.  That nonsense would have been better suited to set up a FG attempt.

Say what you will about Tony Romo, but IIRC, he made mention of the Cowboys maybe going deep in advance.  Barring a game-winning pick, they either take the lead or the ball is batted down, but with Dallas having a second shot at a "Hail Mary" attempt.  I agree there, but at the end of the day, throw to the endzone and go from there.  That, and/or don't commit defensive holding penalties with precious TOs if/when you get the ball back for one more shot.

Man, we probably are not talking about this if Nick Bosa doesn't go down.  Hope he's okay going forward

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Johann said:

It would be fun if it was the Bengals.

In the 80’s my mom bought me a referee doll whose head, arms and legs were attached with Velcro and you could tear them off and throw them at the TV when there was a particularly egregious call (I named him Jerry Markbreit after the head ref in Super Bowl XXI; he was lost in a move 20 years ago and I’m still not over it).  After San Francisco / Cincinnati Super Bowl part two I was so devastated at the Bengals loss that when my mom woke up the next day the ref was hanging from the back of a dining room chair by his whistle rope with his legs where the arms should be, one arm coming out of the head, the other arm on the table and the head attached to his ass.  A Cincy victory would be sweet redemption for that poor doll.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

I'd like to see the Cardinals win as their logo is the same as my high school logo. But it would be nice to see Matthew Stafford win. I always felt kind of sorry for him at Detroit where he never had a chance.

I'd like to see the Cardinals win too, but that wish is so minimal.  I'd like to see them win because I picked them to win.  Not a big deal thanks to Dallas's wildcard performance!

However, I'd love to see the Rams win since my man Aaron Donald is on the team.  Plus, as mentioned, Matthew Stafford deserves a playoff victory.  Also, OBJ would get that postseason victory that sorta eluded him as an active player and a player that entered the league in 2014.  Finally, Los Angeles has a better chance to knock off Tampa Bay than Arizona.

Defensive TD for LA.  Sometimes, that safety is the better call.  Not that 16-0 is significantly better than 21-0!

I’m wondering if this D will look as good against Brady who won’t be as dumb as Murray is being right now. They are pretty quick so hoping if they end up winning they beat the crap out of the Bucs.

• Love 2

I hope Vikings are not considering getting Kyler Murray for quarterback. There is talk of trading Kirk Cousins, but who is out there that could replace him? The really good guys aren't going anywhere (except maybe Rodgers).

Another reason I wanted Rams to lose tonight is Beckham. Kind of makes me want the Bucs to stomp all over him next weekend.

I think Bills/Chiefs will be the best game next week.

• Love 1

I'm not picking the Rams to beat Tampa, even though they've had success against the reigning champions.  Obviously that squad is full of people that emulate common sense + have playoff experience.  The league is stopping at nothing to crown AD as the most accomplished defensive player ever (without ever crowning him as the 2014 DPOY or the league MVP in any year he was eligible).  However, they might be able to pull the upset against a wounded Bucs team.  At least they should keep it close.  The Cards are just a total disaster tonight.

So much for Super Wild Card weekend.  What a cheesy name.  If and when the the Super Bowl airs on the same day as Selection Sunday for March Madness, I guess they'd call it Ultra Bowl or whatever

37 minutes ago, Carey said:

The Cards are just a total disaster tonight.

So much for Super Wild Card weekend.  What a cheesy name.  If and when the the Super Bowl airs on the same day as Selection Sunday for March Madness, I guess they'd call it Ultra Bowl or whatever

Such is a Kliff Kingsbury team in the latter part of every season.

Who knew that the ‘best’ game was the first one.  And even then, the Bungles had it mostly under control.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Poor Budda Baker. I hope he isn't too badly hurt. Cam Akers is on my bad list. Not so much for the hit but for taunting Baker when he was lying on the ground.

Nothing wrong with the hit, but that should have been a taunting penalty.  All the stupid shit they've called under the new rule, and that's ignored?  I don't think Akers realized Baker was hurt when he did it, but it doesn't matter - that's taunting.

Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Rams play, and hope they bring it next week.  They're my only team to actively root for, since everyone else I'm neutral on or, in the case of the Bucs because of Tom Brady, rooting against.

Well, Arizona wasn't winning in Raymond James Stadium anyway, but the fact is, the 21st franchise to win a Super Bowl will have to come from the AFC.  IOW, that conference, excluding Kansas City, will have to win the Big Game against the NFC champion.  No matter what happens going forward, all 8 remaining teams have Super Bowl experience, even those several of the teams left might not have the best games in the history of the Big Game

I’d like to see the Bungles or Bills win it all.

The Bungles because Ohio, and they’re AFC North, plus I love Joe Burtow.  The Bills because of their heartbreaking SB history.

And if not one of them, then the Rams because of Matthew Stafford.

But please no Chiefs or Bucs.

I checked out on this game mentally at halftime. It wasn't even remotely fun having to put up with the frontrunners showing up to the game (Will Ferrell, Dwayne Wade & his wife, Nomar Garciaparra), Michael Buffer showing his revolting face & pissing me off as usual, OBJ getting his first postseason touchdown, Russell Wilson showing us face again on Peyton & Eli and reminding me again how much I absolutely hate him (still can't forget this jerk throwing the INT at the 1yard line to lose the Super Bowl & instead of running it in to win the Super Bowl), & the repulsive Rams beating up on the sorry Cardinals. Overall, the game sucked & it was a waste of 3 hours.

As for Rams - Bucs, I would rather walk on hot molten lava than root for either of those losers. Neither of them are very likable or rootable.

Edited by Magog
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Poor Budda Baker. I hope he isn't too badly hurt. Cam Akers is on my bad list. Not so much for the hit but for taunting Baker when he was lying on the ground.

I also don't think he realized how badly the player was hurt when he did it. He looked a little concerned after someone told him.

It should have been a taunting penalty, according to the letter of the law but damn I hate the taunting penalties. I'm always glad when they're not called. Unlike pass interference, holding, 12 men on the field, offsides...etc. they have nothing to do with the play of the game.

55 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

What an unexciting weekend of games.

Right.  So this has been super wild card weekend.  6 games.  4 blowouts.  1 mostly blowout until the teams decided to play hot potato in the fourth quarter with the game.  And 1 decent game marred by very poor refereeing.

It's just printing money.

Favorite shot of the night:  Goodell and his guests all nicely masked in his booth.  Then a shot to no one else following the mask requirements.  (which I think LA has.)

Edited by Irlandesa
9 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

It's gonna be a Chiefs-Bucs rematch isn't it?

Meh.  As long as Mahomes and/or someone doesn't go into the game banged up.  I'd like for Brady & the Bucs to have to deal with a rather healthy team.  It's an even year, so typically Tom loses the big games (Denver twice & Philly), whereas the odd years he gets fortunate when the opposition has a key play or key players hurt (Seattle, Atlanta, LA, Kansas City).

If it gets to that, I'm okay with it.  For one, the Chiefs might have to deal with either a hot Bengals team or travel on the road for the first time with Pat as the guy (Tennessee).  Chances are we might get to finally see Garoppolo vs Brady.  No chance of a wild-card road team hosting the conference final for the first time with the Rams win, but no way were the Cardinals beating the Bucs this time.  Plus, they'd need for Green Bay to lose which is a possibility (given their opponent).

8 hours ago, roamyn said:

I’d like to see the Bungles or Bills win it all.

The Bungles because Ohio, and they’re AFC North, plus I love Joe Burtow.  The Bills because of their heartbreaking SB history.

There's some good news and some bad news.  In a cheap attempt at a joke, the bad news for Cincinnati is the 49ers are still in the postseason.  The good news for Buffalo is the entire NFC East + Arizona are no longer in the postseason.

For competitive sake, I hardly think I'm partying over Ohio winning, but for one, I root for Ohio State more than I don't, and two, Burrow, Zac Taylor, Boyd, even J Chase are just that damn cool.  Who knows what's next, but there's something refreshing, awesome, and unique about this era.  Cincinnati, Ohio overall is pretty neat IMO

Peyton Manning always got lots of crap for not winning in the playoffs but he went to four Superbowls and won two. Outside tom Brady, that's better than any other player in the we will call it Manning Brady era.  Looking at the other HOF or potential HOF candidates at qb : 

Warner 2-1

Eli 2-0

Roethlisberger 2-1. 

Brees 1-0

Rodgers 1-0 so far.

Russell Wilson 1-1, should be 2-0 if not for a dumb call. 

Mahommes is starting a streak it seems that could produce 5+ Superbowls but you never know.  Russell Wilson appeared to be on that trajectory and abruptly stopped. 

Even if you include farve, he overlaps eras, 1-1 

Rivers never in it.  Matt ryan if you want to stretch things 0-1.  Stafford never in it. 

Hopefully the divisional round games are better than wild card weekend. Horrible.  Even the close games were filled with problems and mistakes more than exciting teams or outcomes. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, roamyn said:

The Bungles because Ohio, and they’re AFC North,

As a Steeler fan it hurts me to say this but I'm rooting for Cincinnati.  Actively dislike Tennessee and KC. Don't dislike the Bills but I know Cincinnati better and like you said AFC North.  If not my team it may as well be someone in our division.

Can't root for the Rams, Packers or Bucs just because I don't like their QB's.  I could maybe root for the Niner's but after the whole Colin K thing I just can't do that.  

The most interesting thing about last night was finding out that Dwayne Johnson has a T-Rex skull in his house.  Now people are wondering if it's the real deal (a complete fossil was controversially auctioned off for 32 million a few years ago) or a replica, which is "only" $11500.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I also don't think he realized how badly the player was hurt when he did it. He looked a little concerned after someone told him.

As a player, maybe the rule of thumb should be to not act like a dick whenever a player is down.  I know they're excited to have made the hit, but make sure the guy isn't lying there comatose before making yourself look like an inconsiderate jerk on national TV.  

10 hours ago, Magog said:

As for Rams - Bucs, I would rather walk on hot molten lava than root for either of those losers.

It's going to be a tough game, given what we saw of the Ram's defense last night.  The Bucs have had a lot of injuries this season, but some of the guys who replaced those key spots looked better on Sunday.  We'd like to go at least one quarter without an injury.  ;)  

• Love 2

Cardinals never fail to meet my expectations. I don't think Murray is an NFL quarterback, just like Josh Rosen before him. KK does not impress me either. I knew they were going to lose, but that was pathetic. As soon as they showed KK's face before the game even started, he looked like a dead man walking. 

Hope the Niners pull off a miracle next weekend! 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 3

Thankfully, Dak wised up & apologize. 

Speaking of the Cowboys, we haven't heard much from Jerry Jones & his loser son, Stephen Jones since the loss. Everytime they win, we always hear from Jerry. When the Cowboys don't win, he's either making excuses or he's in hiding.

Wherever Jerry is, I hope that he saw this yesterday. I can't imagine how he feels about this. This really made me laugh & made the Cowboys losing even more enjoyable. Their sadness brings me absolute joy.

ESPN - Stephen A Smith Top 5 Favorite Cowboys fans images

Edited by Magog
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 1/18/2022 at 5:04 PM, roamyn said:
On 1/18/2022 at 12:26 PM, Carey said:

Not surprising since he was Gruden’s guy.  Gruden did all the GM work, while Mayock was a body in the chair.

It Felt like an under-the-radar boot, given the fact that they made the postseason despite everything within that organization.  The "surprise" was is based on the timing, but ITA: it's anything but a surprise.  It was even mentioned on the Herd that Gruden would take care of their first two picks, and then Mayock would worry about the rest.

FWIW, it was reported, and then everyone basically compared it to the sky is blue; back to taking about Cowboys, Brady, Mahomes, A-Rod, and Dallas! HAHAHA!

Speaking of America's team, while Jerry may or may not have made Dak apologize, I think it's one of those things that might be forgotten as time passes.  Right move, and now not a big deal.  This isn't who Prescott is.  The playoffs are tough, and it featured tough competition.  Arizona, who beat Dallas in Dallas, was probably their weakest competitor out of the NFC (actually, Philadelphia was their weakest foe, but that matchup had zero chance of playing out).  And had luck prevailed and they emerged, then the AFC is a another story on its own (based on who was left)