Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, roamyn said:

But if he gets taken by another team now, they’d have to pay the Saints, per his contract.

I don’t know why Payton would want to go to the mess that is the Giants organization.  He’s probably just burnt out aft 18 years.  

The Giants’ job is the worst in the league this season. It’s this year’s Texans job. 

43 minutes ago, Fukui San said:
16 hours ago, roamyn said:

But if he gets taken by another team now, they’d have to pay the Saints, per his contract.

I don’t know why Payton would want to go to the mess that is the Giants organization.  He’s probably just burnt out aft 18 years.  

The Giants’ job is the worst in the league this season. It’s this year’s Texans job.

Giants > Texans

At least the GMEN have proof and history that they can win.  Houston?  They haven't even been to a conference final or won enough to hit postseason wildcard position when the division was clinched by someone else

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Carey said:

Giants > Texans

At least the GMEN have proof and history that they can win.  Houston?  They haven't even been to a conference final or won enough to hit postseason wildcard position when the division was clinched by someone else

The Texans have two QBs on the roster who can be counted as assets and medium salary cap space. The Giants have 5th least salary cap space and a terrible roster headed by a liability at QB and a star RB who is either injured, ineffective, or both. Their "history" and "legacy" directly leads to a history of stopgap personnel decisions, rather than the full reset that Houston just undertook. I'd much rather be HC at Houston than NYG going into next year. 

Both ownership groups are delusional in their own ways, of course, and can destroy all that is good with the franchise.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Carey said:

Giants > Texans

I've got to agree with that. The Texans just showed how they operate by interviewing Josh McCown not for the QB coach or the OC, but for the head coach position. You may remember his previous stint coaching his son in high school.

11 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

The Texans have two QBs on the roster who can be counted as assets

I don't think that's true of Jackson. I wouldn't be surprised if he neve played another down. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Both ownership groups are delusional in their own ways, of course, and can destroy all that is good with the franchise.

Texans problem isn't ownership.   Although McNair is not great.   The problem is their GM.   They chose a guy who really doesn't know the football side of things.  His biggest hype is 1) he worked with belichek and 2) he was a youth pastor and runs the football team pretty much the say way.   the head of football operations also thinks he can call down during the game from the press box and make suggestions.   Because sure, an HC needs people in their ear with suggestions DURING the game.  

Now the Giants problem is they want people loyal to the team.   Hence Ben McAdoo.   Then Joe Judge was a "well you asked us to try something new, so this is all on you if it doesn't work" pick.    They can get out of their own way if they just stop and think.   So Giants have a chance to improve.    Plus they DO have a history of winning.   Giants are still one of the premier jobs in the League FOR THE RIGHT GUY.   

• Love 5
On 1/25/2022 at 3:25 PM, Moose135 said:

But it certainly could affect whether they are even on the field to play...

And if they pass Covid on to their teammates and they can't play. Most are asymptomatic but some can get quite sick and have to be hospitalized.

• Love 5

They say the discussion on Peyton Manning took something like 19 seconds. Obvs the debates for Eli and Ben will be much longer (I’m sorry but Phillip is not allowed into this discussion IMO) but how long do you think Brady’s will be?

And if that discussion could happen in 2027 that would be GREAT.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

January 27, 1901: Steeler founder Art Rooney born.

January 27, 1969: Chuck Noll named head coach of the Steelers.

January 27, 1970: Terry Bradshaw drafted.

January 27, 2022: Ben Roethlisberger retires.

ETA January 28, 1968:  Joe Greene (who is considered the foundation of the 70's team) drafted.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

And if they pass Covid on to their teammates and they can't play. Most are asymptomatic but some can get quite sick and have to be hospitalized.

Unfortunately, vaccinated or not, you can still get Covid and spread it.  About half of my dental patients this week have had Covid, and most of them were vaccinated. 

I wonder if Sean Payton will go the NFL analyst route.  He might do what Gruden did and come back to coaching later on.  I've heard that the Saints are in salary cap hell, so I wonder how that's going to affect them in the near future.   As a Buc's fan, our glory days are probably over if we lose Brady & Gronk.  I sure hope we're not going back to those days of hopelessness.  Sigh.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Bears have hired Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus as their new head coach.

The Bears fired a GM named Ryan and a coach named Matt .. and hired a GM named Ryan and a coach named Matt.

Why is Matt(hew) such a popular football name?

Ryan, Stafford, Rhule, Shaub, Cassel, LaFleur, Hasselbeck, Nagy and I know there are more than that to make my point but they aren’t coming to mind right now.

On another note, HOW did the Bengals have the number one pick before the 2020 season and end up in the AFC Championship game after the 2021 season?

Also, only 7 players out of 55 chances who went number one overall have won a Super Bowl.

And lastly, the more I think about it the more annoyed I get with the NFC teams remaining.  Sorry, Rams fans, but I’ll never get over hating Flipper Anderson and Kurt Warner.  And Frisco, blah.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

Flipper Anderson?  The only two noteworthy things he did were setting the single game record for receiving yards and catching a walk-off pass against the Giants in the playoffs.  That win was the last good moment the Rams had before Warner and Faulk showed up.  The 49ers clobbered them the following week (the game with the phantom sack) and then they spent a decade as cellar dwellers.

• Useful 1

The 9 vacancies are starting to fill up.  In addition to whatever happened in Chicago, Nathaniel Hackett is the guy for the Denver Broncos.

By the way, did TPTB or whomever (finally) let Brittany Bowlen purchase her team?  Someone for some reason said she couldn't buy the Broncos.  Whatever I suppose.

The Denver hire, IMO is better.  Offense seems to be the key.  A lot of success has come from HC with offensive minds (outside of Bill Belichick, everyone that's won the Super Bowl featured a head coach with an offensive background).  2013 was the last time a defensive-minded guy won the Big Game (save for 2014, 2016, and 2018).

The last four teams left featured teams with an offensive coach.  Maybe Eberflus works out, but it's Fields' second year; a decent OC is now needed in Chicago

17 hours ago, Popples said:

The draft used to be in January?

Yep.   The championship game was in December (Detroit won one of those).  Then the draft was just the owners getting together in a hotel room in Philly.   No Combine, no pro day visits at the schools.   Just the owners drafting the players.   it wasn't televised or on the radio.   You found out by reading the paper the next day who your team drafted.   With no hype about WHO THIS YEAR'S NUMBER ONE PICK WILL BE, according to a recent interview Bradshaw was surprised he was the first pick.   Like how did that happen.

42 minutes ago, Carey said:

By the way, did TPTB or whomever (finally) let Brittany Bowlen purchase her team?  Someone for some reason said she couldn't buy the Broncos.

Nope.   The Trust claims they were just following the late Pat Bowlen's wishes in making sure someone was qualified to run the team.   In the meantime, the Trustees got to act as owners and go to the League meetings and all the other perks.   Somehow no one ever qualified.   After a recent court case over an alleged right of refusal, it looks like the team will be sold.  Peyton Manning and John Elway reportedly want in on any sale.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Yep.   The championship game was in December (Detroit won one of those).  Then the draft was just the owners getting together in a hotel room in Philly.   No Combine, no pro day visits at the schools.   Just the owners drafting the players.   it wasn't televised or on the radio.   You found out by reading the paper the next day who your team drafted.   With no hype about WHO THIS YEAR'S NUMBER ONE PICK WILL BE, according to a recent interview Bradshaw was surprised he was the first pick.   Like how did that happen.

Nope.   The Trust claims they were just following the late Pat Bowlen's wishes in making sure someone was qualified to run the team.   In the meantime, the Trustees got to act as owners and go to the League meetings and all the other perks.   Somehow no one ever qualified.   After a recent court case over an alleged right of refusal, it looks like the team will be sold.  Peyton Manning and John Elway reportedly want in on any sale.

The year Bradshaw was drafted, 1970, the Super Bowl was played January 11.  That was typical and the draft always took place just a couple of weeks later.  All the pre-draft hysteria and media hype came along much later and caused the draft to be pushed back later and later.

ETA: Super Bowl IV.  Chiefs beat the Vikings.  Len Dawson at QB for KC.  Last Super Bowl before the AFL and NFL merged into the current NFL.  And, yes, I distinctly recall watching it on TV with my dad, grandfather and siblings.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

The rumor, of course, is that he was hired to entice a certain COVIDiot to leave Green Bay for Denver.

True.  But he had interest from multiple teams so it was likely he was going to a HC job.  But yeah, Denver was a rumored trade destination last year and I imagine they'll be in the conversation this year, especially since he's likely to bring along another assistant coach from the Packers as his OC.

I don't want to belabor the Rodgers saga but some asked if Rodgers was always like this and this article really sort of nails why this particular saga feels so weird.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't want to belabor the Rodgers saga but some asked if Rodgers was always like this and this article really sort of nails why this particular saga feels so weird.

Good article.  And yes, from some of his previous public utterances and his not bad performance as a guest host on Jeopardy, the seemingly sudden transformation to unwashed COVID ignoramus has been jarring.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Good article.  And yes, from some of his previous public utterances and his not bad performance as a guest host on Jeopardy, the seemingly sudden transformation to unwashed COVID ignoramus has been jarring.

Maybe he'll start dating Evangeline Lilly. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Which makes me wonder why the transformation?  I was never a fan but I wasn't a hater.  But now I cannot stand him.  Has he taken one too many hits to the head?  According to Shaliene they disagree on a lot of issues so I don't think she is the cause. It all seems just so bizarre.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

the seemingly sudden transformation to unwashed COVID ignoramus has been jarring.

People do have valid reasons not to get the vaccine.  Labeling someone as an "unwashed Covid ignoramus" is actually more disturbing and divisive to me than anything Rodgers has said.  His body, his choice, right?

He hasn't tried to impose his viewpoint on anybody.  The media is the one who took the story and ran with it.   What's right for me might not be right for the person standing next to me, so I'm not going to judge their decision on whether they get the vaccine or not.  I think that's kind of the way he is looking at it.   YMMV.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

People do have valid reasons not to get the vaccine.  Labeling someone as an "unwashed Covid ignoramus" is actually more disturbing and divisive to me than anything Rodgers has said.  His body, his choice, right?

He hasn't tried to impose his viewpoint on anybody.  The media is the one who took the story and ran with it.   What's right for me might not be right for the person standing next to me, so I'm not going to judge their decision on whether they get the vaccine or not.  I think that's kind of the way he is looking at it.   YMMV.  

OK, I've  not called him an "unwashed Covid ignoramus", and I have friends and families who are not vaccinated and I'm fine with that , but that's not just why he gets on people's nerves.

1) For a "smart" person, it's obvious he deliberately misled others with his "inmunized" BS.  Both Kirk Cousins, Carson Weitz, etc made clear they were not vaccinated.   Rodgers wanted his cake and eat it too, as in acting like unvaccinated shouldn't be criticize from a 3rd person perspective.   That was an asshole move.  

2) He tried to skirt protocol rules for a nonvaccinated person.   Again, non vaccinated players are not BANNED from the NFL, they just have to follow certain protocols.

3) Rodgers was close to journalists/media/others without mask protection and it was obviously they thought he was vaccinated.  Now there is an argument to be made that vaccinated people transmit COVID too, but again, there were rules in place. 

4) Anybody who quotes the blow hard  Joe Rogan  IS an ignorant dofus, because JOE 
ROGAN?  

5) Personal choice and all that, and fine.  Just don't quote unsubstantiated "evidence" why not to get vaccinated and gussy it up with the Aaron Rodgers  "free thinker" claptrap.    The man doesn't hide the belief  he's this center of the universe intellectual above it all.    It's not Cancer culture why people reacted to him the way they did because of  his deceptive actions, but someone as entitled and spoiled in his life like Rodgers cant's seem to grasp that point at all. 

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, caracas1914 said:

but that's not just why he gets on people's nerves.

I'm not trying to defend Rodgers as a person because I don't know what's been going on with him over the years!  I was just referring to the post (not yours) that called him an "unwashed Covid ignoramus" and how I think it's offensive to label people as such just because they chose not to get vaccinated.   

1 hour ago, caracas1914 said:

Again, non vaccinated players are not BANNED from the NFL, they just have to follow certain protocols.

He said that he did get routinely tested, and that's how they caught it in the first place.  He also said that his teammates and those around him were aware of his status.  I agree though that it wasn't right that others around him (reporters) weren't aware of it.   FWIW, I'm well aware of why people are tired of him!  I used to root for him somewhat, but he's become rather odd over the years.  

50 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I feel like calling him unwashed is fair tho.

How should I feel about Brian Daboll?  I know I’m disappointed at not hiring Brian Flores, but I don’t know if I should like Daboll or not.

He's a good OC who's been in a number of different organizations, so you don't get the "only in the New England system" thing, but good coordinators go on to be bad HCs all the time. I don't think anyone can turn Daniel Jones into an elite player, but hopefully Daboll will comport himself better than Joe Judge through some lean years and see it through to the other side. He does not have big shoes to fill. 

Also let me say that developing a QB from scratch isn't nothing. I think Belichick, Andy Reid, and Harbaugh are the only active HCs who can be said to have successfully developed more than one QB in their careers. Even Sean McVay only really managed and mitigated Goff's deficiencies rather than developed Goff as a player, to the point where he dumped Goff for a finished product. Brian Flores did the same for Tua: Put him in a gimmicky offense that mitigated his deficiencies. Flores got fired probably for not buying into developing Tua.

So that's a plus for Daboll. There were legit questions about Josh Allen as a QB and he's done nothing but improve under Daboll's watch. I think Daniel Jones is a lost cause, but the next guy though.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Fukui San said:

So that's a plus for Daboll. There were legit questions about Josh Allen as a QB and he's done nothing but improve under Daboll's watch. I think Daniel Jones is a lost cause, but the next guy though.

I was listening Joe Schoen yesterday, and he pointed out that of the 2018 quarterback class, only Allen and Jackson have been with the same HC and Coordinator for their entire career. The other guys have been through rotating coaching staffs, and you can see the difference.

This frames his thoughts on Jones. He also said there are a lot of good things on tape. He has similarities to Allen, same size, Jones is most likely faster, Allen has rare arm strength, but Jones does have a good arm. (Jones actually gets very good PFF grades on his deep throws. Not that he has had much help throwing deep balls between throwing to practice squad WRs and getting run over repeatedly with awful pass blocking from the right side of his line.)

PFF had one of the two evaluations I appreciated of Jones at the end of this season. They said that he had a PFF score in the mid-80s (which is very good to excellent) through week 5 when his team disintegrated around him, and that the Giants have really let him down. Week 5 was the game where by the second half, the Giants were playing with only 3 of their intended 11 starters on offense. Jones was one of the injured players, suffering a concussion in that game.

The other one is Gil Brandt, who really believes that Jones has everything needed to be a good QB and will be fine with some stability around him. Gil, being a lifetime Cowboy, won't say "such as the horseshit offensive system that Garrett installed" because he likes and respects Garrett. I also like and respect Garrett, but that was a bad hire by the Giants.

I should point out that I don't expect Jones to be like Allen, even with the right people around him. But I do expect that in 2022 with a good set of coaches and hopefully improved and not always hurt people around him, we'll find out how much of the problem with the offense IS him.

15 hours ago, mojoween said:

How should I feel about Brian Daboll?  I know I’m disappointed at not hiring Brian Flores, but I don’t know if I should like Daboll or not.

It should be a good hire. He's an excellent coach and appears to have the right skill set to be a head coach.

• Useful 1

So how much do we trust these sources?

If he's done then I think he looked at the Bucs' prospects and decided they had no realistic chance to win it all, so why bother dealing with all of the prep work and time away from his family just to come up short again.  Maybe he can be a special guest on the Manningcast even though I'm not sure if he's as charismatic as those guys, and perhaps he'd rather spend his time working on his business empire.

• Love 1

In other words, the Bucs went from hero to zero in the blink of the eye.

I don't know.  I think it's still too early to tell what's next for Tampa.  They brought back each and everyone of their starters.  Looked immortal and a real deal.  It would be weird if Tom left outta nowhere when he could have (and should have) left last year, in 2019, or even sooner (like in 2008-2009).

There are several free agents that will be leaving, but there are still a ton of free agents that might want to join Tampa Bay (a la 2020) with a chance to win their own right

On 1/28/2022 at 1:42 PM, ChitChat said:

He hasn't tried to impose his viewpoint on anybody.  The media is the one who took the story and ran with it. 

The poster didn't call everyone unvaccinated an "unwashed COVID ignoramus."  It was specifically about Aaron Rodgers who does look unwashed with his scraggly hair, especially compared to the the groomed look he used to sport--at least during the season.  People were saying this about him before we knew he lied about the vaccine.

And he has been very open about why he won't get the vaccine.  And those reasons are steeped in conspiracy theories and otherwise bad information. He has the money to talk to and listen to real experts. He chooses not to. I don't think ignoramus is uncalled for in his case.  He also talks about it a lot even though he claims he doesn't want to be the center of anything.  His words get spread out through multiple media sources to hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

I don't think one random comment about one specific sports figure is as damaging as the real misinformation he's believing and sharing, especially when there are answers to so many of his "questions."

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

So how much do we trust these sources?

I think people are thinking he's done given how he has been talking after this season.  And that word is "satisfied."

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 20

With my luck, I'll regret what I'm about to say (despite a lot of things that would lead to it).  If I don't see him in the limelight or really anywhere after summer of 2027 that would be a blessing.  And too soon honestly

• Love 2

I know a few years ago I would have been cheering about Brady retiring, but I'm actually a little sad.  Just a little.   End of an era and all that.  Probably only feeling a little sad because he moved to the NFC and reigned over there recently.

I guess we're really ushering in the new era of young QBs.  QB changes just seemed to flow through in the past, but this feels different.  Bye, Peyton and Brady. Here come the young'uns.

10 minutes ago, Carey said:

With my luck, I'll regret what I'm about to say (despite a lot of things that would lead to it).  If I don't see him in the limelight or really anywhere after summer of 2027 that would be a blessing.  And too soon honestly

Please note they trot out Bret Favre regularly.   And Favre is a lot more objectionable to me than Tom Brady.   I disliked Favre before disliking him was cool.

Of course he couldn't wait until Tuesday to do this?   Now everyone will be talking about his "legacy" tomorrow instead of the championship games.  If he had done it next week, they could have talked about it all they wanted without distracting from those teams WHO ARE STILL PLAYING.

But we knew he was done.   As soon as he started talking about being with his family, you knew he was done.   Its not about whether or not he thinks the Bucs can do it again.  it's whether he wants to put his body through all that for the chance to do it again.  Don't blame him one bit for hanging up the cleats.   When you are playing against QBs who weren't even born when you started, its time to move on. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It's the best decision. He has nothing left to prove -- 7 Superbowl Rings with two different teams. But I'm sad -- post-season is always more interesting with TB12 crushing everyones' dreams.

Awww, don't worry.  The dreams of 31 teams are crushed every year.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Please note they trot out Bret Favre regularly.   And Favre is a lot more objectionable to me than Tom Brady.   I disliked Favre before disliking him was cool.

Of course he couldn't wait until Tuesday to do this?   Now everyone will be talking about his "legacy" tomorrow instead of the championship games.  If he had done it next week, they could have talked about it all they wanted without distracting from those teams WHO ARE STILL PLAYING.

But we knew he was done.   As soon as he started talking about being with his family, you knew he was done.   Its not about whether or not he thinks the Bucs can do it again.  it's whether he wants to put his body through all that for the chance to do it again.  Don't blame him one bit for hanging up the cleats.   When you are playing against QBs who weren't even born when you started, its time to move on. 

With all due respect, it didn't matter when he retired, he was still be bashed by some.  I think after 20 years in the league, GOAT and all, he retired in probably the least fanfare way possible, no farewell tour, no mikes before a stadium, 3  weeks before the SB and letting Tampa start the process of replacing him (sort of)

I agree it's the mental strain of putting football first (basically) for yet another season.  Even with proper conditioning and nutrition, etc, I seriously doubt we are going to see another 44 year old QB who puts MVP numbers up like Brady in our lifetime...

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, merylinkid said:
20 minutes ago, Carey said:

That's the point.  It's more about the timing (and several people in the Steelers fanbase know what I'm talking about).  Aside from that, it's a messed up move.  There was NO hint toward him quitting.  You knew Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, and Jerome Bettis were done.  Lewis announced it in advance (and Brady helped let him ride off into the sunset, though he basically didn't have a choice in his performances against Baltimore).  The Bus was going to leave by 2005, but he announced it on the SB podium.  Manning waited for the fire to die down.

I'll probably just turn the TV on (or not) at 3:00 for kickoff.  Of course, before the Chiefs blowout is made official, Nantz and Romo will bring up TB12 a ton.

FWIW, I was looking forward to him against Burrow.  Maybe he's running away from him, but I guess I'm okay that he lost in his last game

4 minutes ago, Carey said:

That's the point.  It's more about the timing (and several people in the Steelers fanbase know what I'm talking about).  Aside from that, it's a messed up move.  There was NO hint toward him quitting.  You knew Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, and Jerome Bettis were done.  Lewis announced it in advance (and Brady helped let him ride off into the sunset, though he basically didn't have a choice in his performances against Baltimore).  The Bus was going to leave by 2005, but he announced it on the SB podium.  Manning waited for the fire to die down.

I'll probably just turn the TV on (or not) at 3:00 for kickoff.  Of course, before the Chiefs blowout is made official, Nantz and Romo will bring up TB12 a ton.

FWIW, I was looking forward to him against Burrow.  Maybe he's running away from him, but I guess I'm okay that he lost in his last game

Just a note about when Ray Lewis announced his retirement.  He is a master motivator.  He announced his retirement right before the playoffs.  I sincerely believe that is what steered the Ravens through those playoffs.  (Aided by Flacco having the best 4games of his career. ) At each of the away games vs Peyton and Brady, there were posters by fans saying that that would be his retirement game.  Motivating the motivator even more.  

Paralleled the Ravens first Superbowl run, when opposing fans called him a murderer as he entered the stadium, steeling his resolve even more.  As Coach Billick said, "They don't know what they are doing."