Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

59 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I bet he gets at least a year from the league, not sure if they'll count last year. 

I was about to disagree, but I think I have to agree here.  At least I'd bet on it.  As mentioned, 22 accusations is greater than one.  Doesn't matter that he sat out last year under contract with Houston.  Whatever happens: what a mess

On 3/12/2022 at 1:43 AM, Irlandesa said:

The prosecutors think he's guilty.  They brought the case to a grand jury but got "no bills" which means they didn't think there was enough evidence to bring the case to court. It's not a "not guilty";

Legally that is not what it means at all.   Legally he is innocent.   No charges were filed means innocent.   You are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.   Since it was no billed, meaning the grand jury did not find enough evidence to even bring charges, he is is legally innocent. 

The standard for a grand jury indictment is not "beyond a reasonably doubt" it is probably cause.  They didn't even find it probable he did it.   Which is an incredibly low standard.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:07 PM, ScorpioSoul said:

Sigh, another sexual abuser or physical abuser gets off because he has the money for good lawyers.

got nothing to do with Watson's lawyers.   The ONLY lawyer presenting ANY evidence to the grand jury is the prosecutor.   Watson's lawyers aren't even allowed in the room.   Watson was not allowed to present any evidence in his defense.   All the grand jury heard was what the prosecutor thought was the best possible evidence against Watson.   A grand jury made up of 12 citizens heard that best possible evidence and went "nope."   

As for civil settlements, he TRIED to settle months ago.   It stalled over a confidentiality clause, which is pretty standard in settlements.   Except the hiccup was a little different here, WATSON wanted the settlement terms public, the accusers balked at that.   You have to wonder why.   

Now 22 women who don't know each other, and some of them not getting without a 1000 yards of Buzzbee, can give one pause.   It is also more than a little odd that a pro athlete has so many different massage therapists.    But not even getting a grand jury indictment in HOUSTON of a BLACK MAN accused of sexual misconduct says a lot about the evidence against him.

Now the NFL can suspend him for simply tarnishing the shield.   BUT if the NFL comes down on Watson who has maintained his innocence and has been legally cleared while ignoring Dan Snyder for CORROBORATED INCIDENTS found by their OWN report, then they have a bigger problem.   Look for a 4-6 game suspension.   You bet a team will take a chance on that.   Roethlisberger got suspended 6 games and still took his team to the playoffs that year.   

The bigger issue with Watson is he didn't play all last year.   What shape is he in?

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Legally that is not what it means at all.   Legally he is innocent.   No charges were filed means innocent.   You are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.   Since it was no billed, meaning the grand jury did not find enough evidence to even bring charges, he is is legally innocent. 

The standard for a grand jury indictment is not "beyond a reasonably doubt" it is probably cause.  They didn't even find it probable he did it.   Which is an incredibly low standard.

got nothing to do with Watson's lawyers.   The ONLY lawyer presenting ANY evidence to the grand jury is the prosecutor.   Watson's lawyers aren't even allowed in the room.   Watson was not allowed to present any evidence in his defense.   All the grand jury heard was what the prosecutor thought was the best possible evidence against Watson.   A grand jury made up of 12 citizens heard that best possible evidence and went "nope."   

As for civil settlements, he TRIED to settle months ago.   It stalled over a confidentiality clause, which is pretty standard in settlements.   Except the hiccup was a little different here, WATSON wanted the settlement terms public, the accusers balked at that.   You have to wonder why.   

Now 22 women who don't know each other, and some of them not getting without a 1000 yards of Buzzbee, can give one pause.   It is also more than a little odd that a pro athlete has so many different massage therapists.    But not even getting a grand jury indictment in HOUSTON of a BLACK MAN accused of sexual misconduct says a lot about the evidence against him.

Now the NFL can suspend him for simply tarnishing the shield.   BUT if the NFL comes down on Watson who has maintained his innocence and has been legally cleared while ignoring Dan Snyder for CORROBORATED INCIDENTS found by their OWN report, then they have a bigger problem.   Look for a 4-6 game suspension.   You bet a team will take a chance on that.   Roethlisberger got suspended 6 games and still took his team to the playoffs that year.   

The bigger issue with Watson is he didn't play all last year.   What shape is he in?

You are assuming nfl rules and suspensions make sense in comparison to one another. 

They never have.  Why start now?  

Even another year suspension. And with his talent and future, teams will take the chance. 

11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I realize legally he got off scot-free but there are very few false accusations of sexual abuse. The shame, harassment, and shunning of sexual abuse victims (especially when the accused is a famous athlete with a huge fan base) means that very few accusations are false. 

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, cambridgeguy said:

The ball Tom threw for his "last" TD was just auctioned off for over $500k.  I'm sure the buyer is thrilled.

If someone has that much money they don't care. I love Tom Brady I wish he was coming back to the Patriots.

17 minutes ago, emma675 said:

He couldn't stay retired even 2 months?!

Woot woot!!   We're doing the happy dance over here!!  Even though Brady is on our team, I always thought he could be a big baby about certain things, and that's probably what prompted his 2-month retirement - sour grapes about losing - but we'll happily take his 'un-resignation'!   I just hope Gronk stays too.  

• Love 3

I'm sorry, but I'm with ChitChat here.  I am in the minority, but this is awesome!

Part of the reason why I had to laugh and smile here is the fact that this the second time TB12 "retirement" news occurred opposite big days.  First it was the conference title game weekend, and then Selection Sunday.  Plus, I didn't think he was done done after the season he had.

I get people are pissed, but call me a villain.  I just don't think his return is worth getting so pissed off over.  Everyone has that right, and it is fair since he's that damn good.  I guess he could've announced it Monday night to Tuesday morning, but for me, there are tougher issues and events than TB12 returning to crack the hearts of his haters

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Carey said:

Plus, I didn't think he was done done after the season he had.

We were still holding out hope that the wasn't actually done either. 

3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

This speaks to the dearth of truly excellent QB's in the NFL right now.

And all of the other QBs probably just said collectively "well, shit."  

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Snerk.

Lol. I don't care that he's coming back but it is kind of funny to me after his "It's time to spend time with my family" statements. That got old fast, huh Tom? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Even as much as I Hate brady I'm always a bit skeptical of 'oh he is detracting from...' this or that event, there is always some sporting news on the horizon. 

But who announces on a Sunday even they are coming out of retirement?  

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Even as much as I Hate brady I'm always a bit skeptical of 'oh he is detracting from...' this or that event, there is always some sporting news on the horizon. 

But who announces on a Sunday even they are coming out of retirement?  

It's Selection Sunday, leave college hoops alone! What's next, he's going to announce his re-retirement on MLB Opening Day?

• LOL 11

Predicted headline from the future:

Commanders Quarterback Tom Brady, 52, Retires "For Good This Time"

8 Time Super Bowl Champion Wants to "Spend More Time With Grandchildren"

Only player to ever play after Hall of Fame induction leaves door open for one final season in San Francisco

• LOL 17

I think it's funny that Brett Favre Tom Brady is back.  Maybe because he's now in the opposite conference of my team (but we do play his division, so I should maybe stop laughing).

In the "maybe I watch too much NFL" category:

A commercial came on about a rheumatoid arthritis medication and it said not to use it if you were on TNF blockers and I wondered what Thursday Night Football had to do with my arthritis and why I would want to block it.

Edited by Johann
  • LOL 9
10 minutes ago, Johann said:

I think it's funny that Brett Favre Tom Brady is back.  Maybe because he's now in the opposite conference of my team (but we do play his division, so I should maybe stop laughing).

In the "maybe I watch too much NFL" category:

A commercial came on about a rheumatoid arthritis medication and it said not to use it if you were on TNF blockers and I wondered what Thursday Night Football had to do with my arthritis and why I would want to block it.

Tumor necrosis factor. 

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Only player to ever play after Hall of Fame induction leaves door open for one final season in San Francisco

Wasn't it Jim Palmer who tried to come back to baseball after a Hall of Fame career in Baltimore?

Brady pulling a Favre is the least surprising news ever. I never thought he meant it. I believe he was wanted the Bucs to release his rights so he could play elsewhere. He realized they wouldn't so here we are. 

• Love 3

Wait!  This just in...Tom Brady has signed a 50 year contract at $1Million a year.
Or is that a 1 year contract for $50Million.
Ahh...who cares? 
It would only matter if he rejoined the Patriots. with Gronk.

Ok a. why is Tom Brady’s dad treated as some sort of celebrity and b. it was delightful to hear other ESPN dudes call him out for the whiner he sounded like (because face it, we know damn well Greeny wasn’t going to).  Clearly THAT apple didn’t fall from the tree.

• Love 4

I feel bad for Baker Mayfield. I don’t think that Watson is an upgrade and he really did pour his heart into a franchise that was terrible when he got drafted by them. I wonder what the Browns will do when more civil suits come to light and Watson is too busy paying all his victims off. Makes me sick someone like him is continuing to be a sought after commodity.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I feel bad for Baker Mayfield. I don’t think that Watson is an upgrade and he really did pour his heart into a franchise that was terrible when he got drafted by them. I wonder what the Browns will do when more civil suits come to light and Watson is too busy paying all his victims off. Makes me sick someone like him is continuing to be a sought after commodity.

As a Browns' fan, I am pissed that the team is actively pursuing Watson.  Is Baker the answer, I really don't know.  What I do know is Watson is not it.  Not with the threat of suspension hanging over him.  Trading away draft pics or players we need to get someone who may miss the first half of the season or longer, is a boneheaded decision. 

And this is just the off-field baggage Watson has.  Dude's on field behavior is not great either.  He's already chosen to sit out one season when he did not get his way, what makes you think he won't do the same in Cleveland or Atlanta or Charlotte or New Orleans.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

As a Browns' fan, I am pissed that the team is actively pursuing Watson. 

I just last week said I would be pissed if the Steelers signed Watson.  I breathed a sigh of relief when we signed Trubrisky.  He might not be as good as Watson but he hasn't been accused of sexual misconduct.  I feel your pain @Ohiopirate02. It sucks when your QB is accused of doing horrible things off the field.   I don't see how Watson isn't suspended for at least some games.  Big Ben was suspended for six games for violating the NFL personal conduct policy and his allegations never even went before a grand jury.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I breathed a sigh of relief when we signed Trubrisky.  He might not be as good as Watson but he hasn't been accused of sexual misconduct. 

Remember, that's Nickelodeon Valuable Player Mitch Trubisky.  Always nice to have an award winning QB.

• LOL 12
12 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

As a Browns' fan, I am pissed that the team is actively pursuing Watson.  Is Baker the answer, I really don't know.  What I do know is Watson is not it.  Not with the threat of suspension hanging over him.  Trading away draft pics or players we need to get someone who may miss the first half of the season or longer, is a boneheaded decision. 

And this is just the off-field baggage Watson has.  Dude's on field behavior is not great either.  He's already chosen to sit out one season when he did not get his way, what makes you think he won't do the same in Cleveland or Atlanta or Charlotte or New Orleans.  

Word is Watson has eliminated the Browns from his trade platter.

If they do sign him tho, I will be done with them until he’s gone, and possibly beyond.  I love Burrow, so I may have to switch my allegiance.

But at least we have the Buckeyes.

Just now, roamyn said:
Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

OK football experts.
I see these contracts going by (4 years @ $50M/year, etc.  Wow.  
There must be a max.  If yes, what is that number?
Do all teams get to spend the same amount?
What, exactly, is the "salary cap"?
Thanks!

39 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Uh, Packers?  WYD?

LOLOLOL. Wonder how Aaron feels abt signing a new contract now.  He said he didn’t want a rebuild.

2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

WTH Baker? What's really going on in Cleveland????

The Haslams