Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I imagine all fluids escaped from Dan Snyder's body en masse. 

Not Danny Boy. He's going to double down on the denial and fight.

• Love 1

So, Mary Jo White is currently investigating:

1.   The Commanders sexual harassment scandal (possibly the financial improprieties too);

2.   The Dolphins alleged pay for tank;

3.   The Browns alleged deliberate tank;  (although its the Browns, how would you know?)

19 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Seems like Sunday ticket moving to appletv in 2023 but not official yet. 

https://www.totalprosports.com/2022/04/18/report-nfl-sunday-ticket-set-to-leave-directv-for-apple-tv/

That's a surprise.  I thought Amazon had the inside track?

I watch DirecTV's current Sunday ticket as streaming (I don't have a DirecTV subscription these days) and it's a lot less robust than their regular package.  Much less user friendly, and lots of problems with inconsistent video quality and buffering. 

The article speculates that DirecTV will be happy to give it up, but AFAIC, it's the only reason many people bothered to subscribe at all.  They're going to lose a lot of base subscribers.

2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

That's a surprise.  I thought Amazon had the inside track?

I watch DirecTV's current Sunday ticket as streaming (I don't have a DirecTV subscription these days) and it's a lot less robust than their regular package.  Much less user friendly, and lots of problems with inconsistent video quality and buffering. 

The article speculates that DirecTV will be happy to give it up, but AFAIC, it's the only reason many people bothered to subscribe at all.  They're going to lose a lot of base subscribers.

I am one of them they will lose if Sunday ticket goes elsewhere.  I've been waiting years for it to change and only reason I have directv.  My one hour tech support problem call last year guarranteed it. 

On 4/19/2022 at 12:57 PM, merylinkid said:

3.   The Browns alleged deliberate tank;  (although its the Browns, how would you know?)

You could argue that hiring Hue Jackson as a head coach and then keeping him for longer than two seasons is all the proof you need that a team is tanking. But it's also completely in line with all the rest of the Browns' inept management decisions.

Honestly, the whole "tanking scandal" seems a bit silly. Teams can play their backups and run a season out without anyone caring, making no effort at all to win (remember the Colts starting Curtis Painter the whole season so they could make sure they got Andrew Luck?), but as soon as someone has incentivised the losing (beyond that high draft pick, of course) it's a huge problem? It certainly wouldn't be the worst thing that teams have paid bonuses for. And the Browns ownership has made more despicable decisions than that within the last month.

• Love 3
On 4/20/2022 at 3:32 PM, Danny Franks said:

Honestly, the whole "tanking scandal" seems a bit silly.

Well, it does really hurt the perception of the game if people find out that one team is legitimately trying to lose. That's always been the case for every sport. Even if one team sucks, and everybody assumes they're going to lose, we still want to think they're going to try. Otherwise, what's the point of even keeping an eye on the game?

And to honest, there is simply not enough evidence over time to justify tanking. 

Of the 32 players drafted first overall since 1990 (see below), two (2!) of them are in the hall of fame. Eli and Stafford  will be in the conversation when their time comes and Myles Garrett is off to a start that will land him a gold jacket if he keeps it up.  

If I look at the first three picks each year, so 96 players, the HoF population expands from 5 to 14 (give or take for my opinion).  

And while having a 15% shot at landing a HoF player with one of the top 3 picks is nothing to sneeze at, the reality is that far more than 15% of those top 3 picks never even made a single Pro Bowl, let alone the HoF.

Year    Player    Pos.    School    NFL Team
2021    Trevor Lawrence    QB    Clemson    Jacksonville Jaguars
2020    Joe Burrow    QB    LSU    Cincinnati Bengals
2019    Kyler Murray    QB    Oklahoma    Arizona Cardinals
2018    Baker Mayfield    QB    Oklahoma    Cleveland Browns
2017    Myles Garrett    DE    Texas A&M    Cleveland Browns
2016    Jared Goff    QB    California    Los Angeles Rams
2015    Jameis Winston    QB    Florida State    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2014    Jadeveon Clowney    DE    South Carolina    Houston Texans
2013    Eric Fisher    OT    Central Michigan    Kansas City Chiefs
2012    Andrew Luck    QB    Stanford    Indianapolis Colts
2011    Cam Newton    QB    Auburn    Carolina Panthers
2010    Sam Bradford    QB    Oklahoma    St. Louis Rams
2009    Matthew Stafford    QB    Georgia    Detroit Lions
2008    Jake Long    OT    Michigan    Miami Dolphins
2007    JaMarcus Russell    QB    LSU    Oakland Raiders
2006    Mario Williams    DE    North Carolina State    Houston Texans
2005    Alex Smith    QB    Utah    San Francisco 49ers
2004    Eli Manning    QB    Mississippi    San Diego Chargers
2003    Carson Palmer    QB    USC    Cincinnati Bengals
2002    David Carr    QB    Fresno State    Houston Texans
2001    Michael Vick    QB    Virginia Tech    Atlanta Falcons
2000    Courtney Brown    DE    Penn State    Cleveland Browns
1999    Tim Couch    QB    Kentucky    Cleveland Browns
1998    Peyton Manning    QB    Tennessee    Indianapolis Colts
1997    Orlando Pace    OT    Ohio State    St. Louis Rams
1996    Keyshawn Johnson    WR    USC    New York Jets
1995    Ki-Jana Carter    RB    Penn State    Cincinnati Bengals
1994    Dan Wilkinson    DT    Ohio State    Cincinnati Bengals
1993    Drew Bledsoe    QB    Washington State    New England Patriots
1992    Steve Emtman    DT    Washington    Indianapolis Colts
1991    Russell Maryland    DT    Miami (FL)    Dallas Cowboys
1990    Jeff George    QB    Illinois    Indianapolis Colts

Off the top of my head, I count six of those players on your list who have won a Super Bowl, which feels like it would also be important.

Also when I see a list of first round picks, Matthew Stafford and Jared Goff surprise me every time.

Allegedly the Colts sucked for Luck.   Look what it got them.    Sure he was good.   But they forgot to give him a team -- especially an O Line so he had a very short career.   Peyton Manning would not have had the career he had if the Colts had not finally gotten him an O Line so he wasn't coughing up the ball on sacks so much.

Tanking to get the first pick only does so much to help a team.   So not only is it a gamble, its a short term solution.

• Love 3

The 2022 NFL Draft is underway!  Jacksonville going with Georgia's Travon Walker.  So, Aidan should be going to Detroit just because.  However, the Lions probably will pass just because!

Edited by Carey

I figured it out - having the 32 pockets of season-ticket holders right up front, has ruined the raucousness of it.  Also being outside seems to make it feel less rowdy too.

Also also was Travon Walker’s entire family tranquilized or what?

I dunno…this doesn’t feel as fun as prior years.  Even grandpa Goodell in the easy chair in the basement was better than this.

Not that I’m going to stop watching, mind you.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I don’t know if it’s because they’re in some sort of airplane hanger or what, but this crowd sucks so far.

I don't know either, mojoween, but I'm willing to bet that this crowd sucks because they are in Vegas.  They're in Las Vegas & could be in several places, but chose to be outside to watch grown, young men cross a stage (and be buddy buddy with their organization's boss and future foe)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Popples said:

Why is the green room so far from the stage? LOL at Sauce Gardener going the wrong way.

Right?  What happened to the projected draft picks at tables close to the stage?  There is no way this is getting over before midnight.

Love Sam the Make-a-Wish kid.  New York Football Giants indeed.

• Love 1

Love to see the picks excited at the thought of the size of their contract, then the realization of "oh shit, I have to play for the Jaguars/Lions/Jets/Giants" hits them. 

My favorite draft day is Day 3 - the picks come fast and furious, and the fans in the stands are madly cheering something like "With the 17th pick in the 7th round of the 2022 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select tight end Jack Jockinthebox from East Montana A&M," when even Mel Kiper has to pretend he's heard of the guy before.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Lions gave up a lot for Williams - wow.  These WRs are going to teams with QB issues.  Enjoy that!

No surprise there.  The league features people that lack common sense to the point where they blow it on an annual basis

1 hour ago, Carey said:

No surprise there.  The league features people that lack common sense to the point where they blow it on an annual basis

It's the new trend. Let's make super-duper sure that ________ isn't our QB of the future by surrounding him with a great supporting cast.  

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

I figured it out - having the 32 pockets of season-ticket holders right up front, has ruined the raucousness of it.  Also being outside seems to make it feel less rowdy too.

Also also was Travon Walker’s entire family tranquilized or what?

I dunno…this doesn’t feel as fun as prior years.  Even grandpa Goodell in the easy chair in the basement was better than this.

Not that I’m going to stop watching, mind you.

They should have Coach Belichuck's dog there.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Popples said:

Why is the green room so far from the stage? LOL at Sauce Gardener going the wrong way.

So they could walk past the giant cards representing each of the teams.  Some were easily recognizable, but others I couldn't figure out.  Is there somewhere on the internet where they show them individually?

I guess AJ Brown got the money he wanted, even though I don’t think he’s one of the top WRs who should be getting get more than 20 million a year. At least Jalen Hurts has someone else to throw the ball to. 

With all these ridiculous WR contracts this off-season, how can teams  afford to keep all their good players?

2 hours ago, twoods said:

At least Jalen Hurts has someone else to throw the ball to. 

Or at least in the vicinity of.

2 hours ago, twoods said:

With all these ridiculous WR contracts this off-season, how can teams  afford to keep all their good players?

The new TV contracts kick in next year. The Salary cap is expected to go from $208 this year to $265 by 2024. 

• Useful 2

This shouldn't bug me, but I really don't like the font they are using at the draft.  It reminds me of that unreadable font that was so popular a decade or so ago.  Can't remember what it was called.

59 minutes ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Did you see Les Snead and McVay reacting to the Cheatriots taking Strange in the 1st round? They didn't hold back.

I hope he does well as a Patriot. No need for that!

I love when Belichick goes off the map. The goofier the better. But most draftnik Patriots fans are BIG MAD that they traded back then drafted a guard from Chatanooga St. who their draft research was sure would be available in round 3. Guy could make the Hall of Fame an on induction day these fans would be mad that he was overdrafted.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The vikings pick announcer got the hook.....had to go out and tell him to read the name already!

And he said he wasn't thrilled to be picked by the VIkes but at least he didn't go to Green Bay.  How did those Super Bowls turn out for you, Ed?  Maybe you can visit the Packers Hall of Fame one day and see what a Lombardi trophy looks like. 

As he rambled on, I'm sure Mel Kiper was steaming about air time being taken from him, probably thinking, "Would you shut up?  I am the one getting paid by the word."   

• LOL 4
19 hours ago, Johann said:

This shouldn't bug me, but I really don't like the font they are using at the draft.  It reminds me of that unreadable font that was so popular a decade or so ago.  Can't remember what it was called.

I'm not elite when it comes to fonts, but I'm not sure whether you're commenting on ESPN or NFLN

3 hours ago, Carey said:

I'm not elite when it comes to fonts, but I'm not sure whether you're commenting on ESPN or NFLN

I was watching NFL channel, but I think the font was on the stage so it would be seen on any channel. The font had diamonds in the middle of the letters.  I guess I'm just a plain jane. I don't usually like swirls, ruffles, scalloping and whatever that was.

I do love the draft, but god, I hate the people they get to announce picks after the first round. Some of the ex-players are fine, but there are always a few who feel like this is their moment to be a star.

The less said about some of the 'comedy' and 'streaming stars' that were used this year, the better. At one point, I had a fever dream of two grown men pretending to be one super tall man. What the hell?

I'm so glad that the NFL Network didn't collaborate with ESPN again this year. Last year's focus on sob stories and dead grandparents was atrocious. This year we were back to Rich Eisen, Daniel Jeremiah and David Shaw actually talking about football.

• Love 4

The ESPN folks like Greeny, Riddick, etc were okay.  Rece Davis is pretty good as well.  Mel & Todd were Mel & Todd.  Miss it with Boomer, TJ, Gruden, and then later with Trey.  Today it's pretty meh.

I'm more NFL Network.  Nothing against ESPN, but just preference I guess.  I believe (like in years past), Rich Eisen & company stuck around throughout the entire draft

On 4/28/2022 at 5:40 PM, Popples said:

So they have enough time to print their names out and iron the patch onto the correct jersey.  And so we have enough time to evaluate some weird shoe choices and enormous feet.

I keep getting ads for the summer league (USFL?) and one of the teams is the New Jersey Generals.  Isn't that the "team" that always plays the Harlem Globetrotters?

(edited)

The New Jersey Generals were a team in the original USFL. The team name has been revived for this iteration. I want to say they were owned by Donald Trump. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I keep getting ads for the summer league (USFL?) and one of the teams is the New Jersey Generals.  Isn't that the "team" that always plays the Harlem Globetrotters?

That’s the Washington Generals. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2