Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

If Rodgers and Adam's were on the titanic

LOL.

The Adams and Hill deals make it pretty clear that it's pretty damn hard to work with a salary cap situation where you have a $45M QB and a $30M WR.  It's pretty much got to be one or the other.

• Love 3

This is hilarious. I knew this about Shaq Mason but didn't know there was another named after the two centers who have now found themselves on the same team. They have to turn this into a photo op with the two namesakes.

Edited by Fukui San
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

This is hilarious. I knew this about Shaq Mason but didn't know there was another named after the two centers who have now found themselves on the same team. They have to turn this into a photo op with the two namesakes.

I'm guessing their parents were basketball fans.

Hmm...Malcolm Butler is back with the Patriots. 
Oh?
I thought he was shunned a few years back. 
Held out of the Super Bowl, after having played just about every snap in the playoffs.  
Curious!

48 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

Hmm...Malcolm Butler is back with the Patriots. 
Oh?
I thought he was shunned a few years back. 
Held out of the Super Bowl, after having played just about every snap in the playoffs.  
Curious!

A lot has been conjectured and projected about that game. It was the end of Butler's contract and the Patriots weren't going to give him his big multiyear contract that the Titans eventually would. Happens every other year in New England. See JC Jackson. He also wasn't having his best season, but you'd think he'd be better than the special teamers pressed into service in that game. 

Here's the thing about the aftermath of the game. While many media types have ridiculed Belichick for his decision to hold out Butler for this game, Butler hasn't said a thing as far as I know. He'd have the most willing media audience in history to say the coach is to blame for a bad decision, resulting in the worst defensive performance in Super Bowl history, but he didn't. He'd talk about that he wished the Patriots would have opened their wallets to give him the contract he wanted, but nothing critical about that game.

The official explanation is that Butler had missed much of the week of practice going into the final week due to illness, and that they didn't think he'd be ready to really contribute going into the game. IIRC, there were whispers of misbehavior by Butler in that week but Belichick squashed those, saying it was just a football decision. All in all, I've seen it evident that neither side burned bridges with the other, even though people would have loved to have seen that develop as a big feud.

• Love 1

that fire at Mile High looked bad.   I can just imagine the toxic smoke from all those seats burning.  

Free agency has been insane this year.   Apparently the teams saw the Rams with an "all in for this year" approach and are taking it.    So don't look beyond the first year of those MONUMENTAL contracts.   Most will have to be cut next year.   

• Love 3

Looks like there's a sudden movement for a Tampa to Miami trade for TB12...

ETA: That was a rumor I heard.  Just adds to a crazy off-season.  The Rap Sheet, who, along with Schefty did not make mention themselves (meaning it's not happening), said it didn't make sense when discussing with McAfee.

Meh; that would be totally bonkers.  Tom would've stayed retired before going to Miami.  Brady's still under contract with Tampa; still a better shot at success than in a stacked AFC (unless he returned to New England, where a stacked AFC means nothing)

Edited by Carey
Brady to Miami is a random rumor, not developing or breaking news
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

That was pretty cowardly of Haslam to not show at the Watson press conference. 

The Browns general manager described the investigation into the accusations against Watson as a "five month odyssey".  That means they were planning to move on from Mayfield before the season was over.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 3/25/2022 at 6:22 PM, bluegirl147 said:

The Browns general manager described the investigation into the accusations against Watson as a "five month odyssey".  That means they were planning to move on from Mayfield before the season was over.

No surprise there, they seemed to be pissed that Baker had an injured shoulder since mid-season.  I got the impression he was out the door ASAP once the season ended.

As for the Haslams, their taped remarks were as expected.  It's just fine that they signed Watson says Jimmy because he asked his wife and daughter about it and they both said it was fine.  Because Jimmy Haslam's wife and daughter are the final arbiters of whether a serial harrasser/assaulter of women is an asset to the team.

• Love 1

Wait!
Latest rumor is that Tom Brady wants to go to Miami...and Bruce Arians is willing to accommodate that, if he gets those two first-round draft packs.
Is this even remotely possible?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, grommit2 said:

Wait!
Latest rumor is that Tom Brady wants to go to Miami...and Bruce Arians is willing to accommodate that, if he gets those two first-round draft packs.
Is this even remotely possible?

I think it was some internet troll, spreading rumors.

You know damn well TB has a very specific contract that benefits him.  There’s undoubtedly a no trade clause.

I was glad DW answered the question (as much as he could) abt the number of therapists he’s had.  It does make some sense that over the course of his HS, college and pro career, and traveling to different locations, that he’s had a large number of therapists.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

I think it was some internet troll, spreading rumors.

You know damn well TB has a very specific contract that benefits him.  There’s undoubtedly a no trade clause.

I was glad DW answered the question (as much as he could) abt the number of therapists he’s had.  It does make some sense that over the course of his HS, college and pro career, and traveling to different locations, that he’s had a large number of therapists.

Actually, it was a report from a Boston-area sports talk show.  Ooh.
The claim was that Tom actually wanted to go to Miami because he had some buds there. 
Yes, the no-trade would prevent trading him away, unless he actually wanted it. 
The claim on the other side was that Tampa wanted Miami's two first-round picks in exchange for TB12.  Oh boy...stuff to ponder. 

• Useful 1

Andrea Thome, wife of former Cleveland Indian and baseball Hall of Famer Jim, has announced that they are canceling their Browns' season tickets due to the DeShaun Watson debacle.  She is from Ohio and was a TV newsperson in Cleveland prior to her marriage.

"Very sad after 40 years as a fan, but this is my line in the sand. I believe women. Especially when there are 22 of them. That press conference did nothing to change my mind.

"They may not give us a refund. But I sent the letter today. If @Browns won’t refund—-I will auction off every single game and publicly donate every cent to different women’s crisis charities in N.E. Ohio, raising awareness week by week during the season."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/wife-of-baseball-hall-of-famer-jim-thome-cancels-browns-season-tickets-over-deshaun-watson-trade/ar-AAVAtVV?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=ba79e56b3e6a4e7caf2e1590dc61c341

• Love 11

I'm not sure Brady would go to Miami; he has a better shot at winning in Tampa IMO.  I think he could actually clinch the league MVP with the Bucs.  Though an in-state move would make sense, as I'm not sure TB12 wants to get slapped at the NFL Honors for holding onto a letter and a bottle of wine!

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If Buffalo’s defense had done its damn job, we would not have yet ANOTHER set of overtime rules.

For what it's worth, if Favre doesn't blow it (almost as bad as Carroll) in the Superdome 12 years prior, we would not have any overtime rule changes!

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Tampa is just 👀😳🤔

It's definitely a WTH moment for us!  I sure hope his health is okay.  Hmm.  Maybe we'll learn more about what's really going on in the next few days.  

2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

It's definitely a WTH moment for us!  I sure hope his health is okay.  Hmm.  Maybe we'll learn more about what's really going on in the next few days.  

Apropos of nothing, in the "old news" department we're hearing second hand tales of how Brady tried to push out Bill Belichick in favor of Bill O'Brien a few years ago.

It's being reported that Brady was informed of this move on the day or or the day after he announced his unretirement. And they're swear one thing has nothing to do with the other.

Hmm. Have there been rumors of bad blood between Arians and Brady?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's being reported that Brady was informed of this move on the day or or the day after he announced his unretirement. And they're swear one thing has nothing to do with the other.

If Brady wanted Arians gone, I can't believe he'd have wanted Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, to be his replacement. Unless Tommy wants to be OC as well as QB which... actually, that wouldn't surprise me.

6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

If Brady wanted Arians gone, I can't believe he'd have wanted Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, to be his replacement. Unless Tommy wants to be OC as well as QB which... actually, that wouldn't surprise me.

For what it's worth, they do have Leftwich there.  Plus, I didn't expect Arians to stay around as long as several people did.  I don't know if Byron is an answer, but him as a successor wasn't so far-fetched during Bruce's tenure in Tampa.

To be honest, while most couldn't predict this happening when it did (being official), I was actually thinking of how NFL news, or news related to Tom Brady would surface during the "Michael Krzyzewski True Series Finale Week"

59 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Is there an emoji to demonstrate the least shocked someone has ever been? 

I'd say no.  Instead, there's a competitive reality show with one of 12 participants to win the right to put their image up for display over this "breaking news"

I think it's really interesting and cool to hear what Bruce Arians said about why he chose to move on at this point.

He wanted to make sure that his coaches, specifically Coach Bowles, to take over the team when he left. BA said it was unlikely that he was going to coach after this year, and that with the return of Brady, the team was in the perfect condition to turn it over to his guys. He said that there is always a chance that things could happen and the team could go like 10-7 this year with him as coach, and then if he retired it would be an open competition as opposed to just handing it over to his staff.

So he stepped down now.

• Love 1

Conventional (Twitter) wisdom is that this bombshell -- if true and if Snyder was involved -- could finally get the other NFL owners to kick Snyder out of their club.

From the above article:

According to NFL bylaws, all teams are required to pass along 40% of ticket sales from each home game — minus ticket handling charges and taxes — to the league, which then disperses the funds to visiting teams. At least one person gave information in recent weeks to Congressional investigators that alleges the Commanders didn’t pass along the full 40%, two sources with knowledge of the investigation told FOS.

It is not clear how long this alleged scheme ran for or who authorized it.

The Commanders and the NFL learned about the allegations in recent weeks, one source told FOS. 

• Useful 4

Flores amended his discrimination lawsuit to include two other coaches and two other teams.   Also he apparently wrote a memo back in December of 2019 detailing how the Dolphins' owner asked him to tank.   The NFL has this memo.    

There's a reason that the NFL is pushing to have this and Gruden's case pushed into arbitration.   Discovery is going to be HOT in these cases.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Dwayne Haskins a former Commanders first round pick who was traded to the Steelers was struck and killed by a vehicle in Florida this morning.   He was in Florida working out with other Steelers players.

Such terrible news about Haskins. A young man who had his troubles, had a chance to turn things around, dealt with adversity & was dealing with it up until the end. Whatever happened with his team, the chance at real life would've been there, but it's over, and that's a shame.

RIP Dwayne.  He had a record setting year as the starter for the Buckeyes, but he lacked the maturity and discipline when he entered the NFL.

At 24, it seemed that he was finally growing up to be able to contribute  the team and to his career.   Condolences to his family.

Now the Squealers are left with two QBs, while the stupid Browns (I’m a Browns fan) have FOUR.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Dwayne Haskins a former Commanders first round pick who was traded to the Steelers was struck and killed by a vehicle in Florida this morning.   He was in Florida working out with other Steelers players.

More more details.  He was actually hit by a dump truck.  Apparently he was crossing I95 (a major highway) at 6:30 this morning.

The sheriff’s office has said he was in a ‘limited access facility” whatever that means.  One story is that he ran out of gas, but that’s not been confirmed.  Other than car trouble, why would you cross a major highway at daybreak?

• Useful 1
12 minutes ago, roamyn said:

More more details.  He was actually hit by a dump truck.  Apparently he was crossing I95 (a major highway) at 6:30 this morning.

The sheriff’s office has said he was in a ‘limited access facility” whatever that means.  One story is that he ran out of gas, but that’s not been confirmed.  Other than car trouble, why would you cross a major highway at daybreak?

Was the word "facility"?  I can't find the article now, but the one I read had "highway or expressway" in parenthesis after it, as in a highway has limited access and not usually (or legally) for pedestrian travel.  

Sad to hear.  I don't know much about him other than he was struggling in his career and maybe his private life.  May he rest in peace.

• Love 1
On 3/31/2022 at 1:14 AM, Irlandesa said:

Bill Simmons alluded to tensions between Arians and Brady on his podcast a few weeks (a month?) back.  Allegedly, Arians getting out of the head coaching job was a condition to Brady coming back to play.  It’s been a few weeks, so I don’t remember exactly what their issues were, but I think Brady had game plan suggestions last season that Arians disregarded.

Such a terrible shame about Dwayne Haskins.  I didn’t know all that much about his serious on- and off-field issues, but I just feel very sad that he’ll never get a chance to turn things around.

• Useful 1
On 4/9/2022 at 7:15 PM, Johann said:

Was the word "facility"?  I can't find the article now, but the one I read had "highway or expressway" in parenthesis after it, as in a highway has limited access and not usually (or legally) for pedestrian travel.  

Sad to hear.  I don't know much about him other than he was struggling in his career and maybe his private life.  May he rest in peace.

Yes, that was the word.  I thought that was an odd choice.

He wasn’t struggling in his personal life.  At no time was he ever into drugs (that anyone knows), illegal acts, abuse.  I’m not sure where you got that informal, but no one even hints at it, that I’ve seen.  He probably left school too soon (but then again we wouldn’t have had Justin Fields), and acted a tad immature, but he never got mixed up in anything.  He just celebrated his 1st wedding anniversary, he also didn’t have any children yet, so he showed restraint/maturity in that area.  He was raised in a two parent, church going family.

• Love 2

All the accolades from people who actually KNEW him said what a wonderful person he was.   He cared about his community.   He supported people.   He was a good guy.  

The people who didn't know him like senile old Gil Brandt are the ones talking only about footbal and things that actually matter.   

Still not a lot of details of how he came to be walking on a highway.    

• Love 3