Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:
On 3/18/2022 at 5:21 PM, emma675 said:

Wow, what are the Browns thinking? Where does this leave Mayfield?

It leaves him homeless.

And divorced

• Love 1

Mayfield played through a shoulder injury. In retrospect he probably should have left the team and taken care of it. But loyalty and toughness gets you nowhere  apparently. 

• Love 6
On 3/18/2022 at 3:37 PM, Irlandesa said:

I do think they need a vet WR since he doesn't usually trust young receivers.  Relying on the draft too much could be an issue. 

I'm sure that the Packers will find him at least one veteran, but I also think it's probably more that he doesn't trust the talent more than trusting the experience.

In the last 13 years, the Packers have never drafted a WR in the first round and only two second round picks (Cobb 2011, Adams 2014.)  In his second year Cobb saw 104 targets come his way after not much as a rookie. Adams had 66 and 94 targets his first two seasons.

I mean, who knows what the Packers are planning to do in the draft? They certainly have shown absolutely no interest in using high draft picks to obtain talented WRs.

If I were running the draft, it would be pretty difficult to rationalize not taking this chance with extra picks to significantly upgrade the talent level at WR. 

Ok fine there is no men’s hoops today (but there are women’s, so thanks for getting this out early) so you’re off the hook this time NFL.

Good for the Colts.  The Falcons now have…needs.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Matt Ryan to the Colts.

Does Baker end up in ATL?

I'm not sure the Falcons want him. (I'm not sure if anybody wants him that all that badly right now.) 

The Saints re-signed Winston today, so it seems as though that QB needy team is off the list of places for Mayfield.

16 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm not sure the Falcons want him. (I'm not sure if anybody wants him that all that badly right now.) 

The Saints re-signed Winston today, so it seems as though that QB needy team is off the list of places for Mayfield.

The rumors I have seen on Twitter about Baker's next city are San Francisco or Seattle.  Atlanta would also work.  What has been reported is the Browns do not want to trade him to an AFC team.  

As a colts fan I'm good with Matt Ryan.   Solid veteran high completion percentage no stupid throws like Wentz. 

Mobility not there but the o line is good, have to sign a left tackle with free agent money

A 3rd pick for him?  That's the best part

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I just read the Falcons are getting Mariota. He's been on the Raiders bench for the last couple of years.  He hasn't played at all, being injured half the time. 

Yes saw that too, whether that is as a starter or back up, still unknown. 

• Love 1

It might be as a backup, depending on whether Atlanta can get a decent QB in the draft.  Who knows?  The QB class this year isn't great, so they might end up "sitting & learning" to which I'd say ew.  Despite an okay class, Pickett and Willis do not deserve to learn behind anyone this year (unless it's Brady)

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Baker Mayfield is not at all an upgrade for Jimmy Garoppolo.

He's not nearly as pretty.

I have no interest in Pittsburgh, but why are they seemingly wedded to Mason Rudolph and Mitch Trubisky next season?  That's not even good enough to be mediocre.

15 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Baker Mayfield is not at all an upgrade for Jimmy Garoppolo.

He's not nearly as pretty.

I have no interest in Pittsburgh, but why are they seemingly wedded to Mason Rudolph and Mitch Trubisky next season?  That's not even good enough to be mediocre.

It's night and day between Mayfield and Garoppolo, period.  And overall.

Pittsburgh's committed to Mitch & Mason because they don't have enough to get a decent QB.  They're not going to give up everything to get a superstar, and they definitely weren't getting a glorified dud like Watson.  Mitch ain't winning a Superbowl in Pittsburgh, but that's an upgrade from Mason.  Pittsburgh has a ton of needs.  2022 isn't their year.  Gotta wait until 23 or 24

Al Michaels has officially hopped over to Amazon for TNF.  I missed who is going to do SNF if it was already mentioned.

Also I am never going to not bitch about having to watch football on the PS4.  Ok, I know I don’t *have* to.  It’s the principle of the thing, dammit.

Update - the hubs, who cares not a whit about football, has recommended we get a smart tv so I don’t have to use the PS4. What a guy!

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

Update - the hubs, who cares not a whit about football, has recommended we get a smart tv so I don’t have to use the PS4. What a guy!

You can get a Roku streaming stick for less than $50 bucks, plug it into your TV, and it's instantly smart.

• Love 2

Projected starting QB for the Colts for the next 10 years:

2022: Matt Ryan
2023: Cam Newton
2024: Colin Kaepernick
2025: Tom Brady
2026: Josh McNown
2027: Ryan Fitzpatrick
2028: Tom Brady
2029: Peyton Manning
2030: Andrew Luck
2031: Tom Brady

• LOL 17

I'm pissed about the Ryan trade. I knew the end was coming but the Falcons backed themselves into a corner by going after Watson. You get nothing and a ton of dead salary cap in return. I'm hoping Ryan has a Stafford like year in the next couple seasons. 

I'd have much rather kept Ryan and drafted a QB next draft. The draft is very lite on QB. If you're going to make this trade, get the pieces you need which were already a ton. I'm hoping they focus on OL and DB this draft.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Court said:

I'm pissed about the Ryan trade. I knew the end was coming but the Falcons backed themselves into a corner by going after Watson. You get nothing and a ton of dead salary cap in return. I'm hoping Ryan has a Stafford like year in the next couple seasons. 

I'd have much rather kept Ryan and drafted a QB next draft. The draft is very lite on QB. If you're going to make this trade, get the pieces you need which were already a ton. I'm hoping they focus on OL and DB this draft.

You don't see it as an organizational "Thank You" to Matt Ryan to not make him take a beating for a bottom feeding team next year?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Fukui San said:

You don't see it as an organizational "Thank You" to Matt Ryan to not make him take a beating for a bottom feeding team next year?

I think that's the way they're spinning it but no. I think they should have handled the Watson debacle better and then I would. 

I am thrilled for Ryan,  though, since it seems like his OL wanted him killed last season. 

As a Browns fan, I feel for Baker.

He had an awful 2022, but tried to show commitment & toughness to the team by playing through his injury.

But 2020 was a great year for him.  He had a top ten QBR, and in the playoffs his uQBR was over 90, including that interception thrown at the end of the KC game. IMO Stefanski should’ve benched him aft game 8 or 10.  We had one of the better backups in Case Keenum.

As much as Matt Ryan is respected, he’s 36 years old and has done very little in ATL.  Aft running up the score 28-3 in the SB, he did nothing the second half.  Baker has more potential & upside than Matt Ryan.

But I can see why Andrew Berry wouldn’t want to trade him to an AFC team.  Baker is more a lateral move for SF, so they’re out.  Maybe Seattle?  Or the Panthers?  Even ATL might need him, since Marriotta is an injury machine.  In all three cases Baker is an upgrade to what those teams have.

There’s no doubt Baker is brash and outspoken.  He’s had to be to prove himself as a walk on for both Texas Tech and OK.  There’s nothing wrong with that, but he needs to know when to shut it.  I’m sure his manager has tried to rein some of that in.

There’s also no doubt he’s talented, but he needs a scheme like Riley gave him in OK or heavy on the play action.  That where he works best, and that’s surely not ATL or Seattle.  Carolina, maybe.

I’m coming to terms with the Watson trade, but I still don’t like paying all that $ to someone who has questionable decisions at the least.  I think part of the reason I’m learning to live with it is because all the trash talking against the Browns for this trade, when there were 12 other teams interested in Watson, so why do the Browns get all the hate?

And people like Molly Qerim piss me off, judging guilty without benefit of a trial, without any actual evidence, just civil lawsuits.  Out of 40 massage therapists (and yeah, I look at that number with concern), 18 of them stood up for Watson.  That’s half.  I firmly believe some of these 22 women are band wagoners, jumping on to try to get some $.  And just because the team didn’t vet their attorney, doesn’t mean they - or other teams - didn’t do their due diligence.  It would’ve been a media nightmare if any team got involved in a civil suit, just by talking with their lawyer, and he acknowledged that.

So far the Browns organization has been able to help Kareem keep on the straight & narrow, I hope they have a similar plan for DeShaun.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

I’m coming to terms with the Watson trade, but I still don’t like paying all that $ to someone who has questionable decisions at the least.  I think part of the reason I’m learning to live with it is because all the trash talking against the Browns for this trade, when there were 12 other teams interested in Watson, so why do the Browns get all the hate?

If you take the massive, unprecedented plunge, complete with a player friendly first year salary to guarantee a suspension will cost him as little as possible, then you reap the whirlwind. 

But let's be honest - the teams that weren't interested weren't trying to claim the moral high ground, they're either set at QB, knew they couldn't afford to offer a competitive salary, or thought he'd be a bust. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

If you take the massive, unprecedented plunge, complete with a player friendly first year salary to guarantee a suspension will cost him as little as possible, then you reap the whirlwind. 

But let's be honest - the teams that weren't interested weren't trying to claim the moral high ground, they're either set at QB, knew they couldn't afford to offer a competitive salary, or thought he'd be a bust. 

We don't know that.  It's possible that they were claiming the moral high ground.  The things that worked in their favor are exactly what you stated, so it would never have come up that they couldn't take the guy due to bad PR.  Furthermore, DeShaun hasn't really done too much.  I wouldn't say bust-level since he's actually done pretty good in that place down in Houston.  Two division titles, one playoff win, but with a rather decent defense, the overall accomplishments (no more than just that win over Buffalo) are pathetic after five years to where he's a must have at all costs

Mariota to Atlanta makes no sense.   His original team didn't pick up his 5th year option, the team he was traded to, doesn't want him.   HOW is that better than the guy you just dumped?

The QB moves this year are BAFFLING.   No one is really upgrading just shuffling around.   Like they know the QB class sucks, but that they also seem to think there is no one to upgrade with either.    If its not an upgrade WHY CHANGE?   Why not keep what you have and fix another need?   No team is only ONE QB away from a Super Bowl.   

I hope Mayfield doesn't go to SF.   That job is just a place warmer for Trey Lance.   Why should he set himself up for getting kicked to the curb again?   Oh right "too brash," he needs to be "humbled a little in order to succeed."   Since when did HUMBLE succeed in the NFL?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Mariota to Atlanta makes no sense.   His original team didn't pick up his 5th year option, the team he was traded to, doesn't want him.   HOW is that better than the guy you just dumped?

The QB moves this year are BAFFLING.   No one is really upgrading just shuffling around.   Like they know the QB class sucks, but that they also seem to think there is no one to upgrade with either.    If its not an upgrade WHY CHANGE?   Why not keep what you have and fix another need?   No team is only ONE QB away from a Super Bowl.   

I hope Mayfield doesn't go to SF.   That job is just a place warmer for Trey Lance.   Why should he set himself up for getting kicked to the curb again?   Oh right "too brash," he needs to be "humbled a little in order to succeed."   Since when did HUMBLE succeed in the NFL?

Yeah, I agree about Mariota.  His move to Atlanta does not make any sense.  Except for one thing: youth.  Matt Ryan will be 37 in about a couple months, and he doesn't move around that much.  Better to make the move now than next year when you can't.  Marcus can't stay healthy; while that's the case, he can move a lot more than Ryan.  Plus, it might be a bridge year for 2023.  They're not doing anything with Tampa in their division.  Plus, they have games at Baltimore & at Cincinnati; forget about it for the Falcons in 2022.

Yeah, the QB thing, if you think about it, is just for show and tell.  Well, it looks like it.   Again, better to move along a year early than a year too late.

Baker to SF?  Meh.  Great points, but it might be what needs to happen for him to get back to the AFC in 2023 (a la Favre in 2008-2009).  The difference obviously is Brett is a HOF and Mayfield isn't

26 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I have to agree w/you here.

Why saddle Rivera, a very good coach (and a minority one at that), with the excessive ego/locker room poison, interception prone Wentz?  HOW is that better than Hunley?

It seems Houston’s sticking w/Davis Mills, unless they trade for Garapolo.  Baker’s out of the question, or he would’ve been included in the Watson trade.

And why is no one talking abt Detroit?  They’re just going to stick w/Goff?

• Love 2

I think I'm going to miss those.  Maybe they'll continue if he can find work, but as much as I'll move on fine without them, those were kind of neat.

Detroit sucks.  They have the longest playoff drought.  No one wants to talk about the Lions; ew.

I will say this: they did drop the ball with Adian, but not before dropping the ball to try to win a game.  Jacksonville is not going to trade with them, I don't believe.  On that note, Hutchinson is likely going first to the Jaguars.  I think it's a definite no for a QB taken first overall (first time since 2017).

However, there is a chance that one gets selected No 1 via a trade.  For example, if Carolina trades with Jacksonville, who has enough to afford giving it up, I could see someone like Pickett getting picked by the Panthers of the NFL.  I say this because it would a safe bet in case Detroit (or even Houston) gets Kenny ahead of Carolina.  I think I'd be pissed (and sad for Pickett) if he ended up as a Lion or a Texan.

However, I guess Willis or Kenny as a prospect might be the reason they haven't moved off of Goff yet.  Plus I think they said they were satisfied with him, for some reason

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I had been saying for at least the last five years the Steelers needed to look to have an heir apparent for Ben and here we are the year he retires and we decide on Mitch Trubisky????? I cannot imagine they really think he is our future.  My guess they hope to get some wins out of him this year and draft a QB next year.  

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Matt Ryan will be 37 in about a couple months, and he doesn't move around that much

I have a coworker who wanted us to go after Ryan and I told him his age was a big factor why we didn't. 

8 hours ago, roamyn said:

As a Browns fan, I feel for Baker.

I'm not a Browns fan and I feel for Baker.  I know football is a business but this whole thing just leaves a bad taste.  My apologies to Browns fans but I'm really hoping Watson is a bust.

• Love 6

Fuck Cleveland.  Fuck Cleveland for throwing an ungodly sum of money at an abuser of women (I don't, in fact, believe all twenty-two women are making this shit up), and fuck Cleveland for making me feel just the tiniest bit of sympathy for that entitled douchebag Baker Mayfield.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Fuck Cleveland for throwing an ungodly sum of money at an abuser of women

And not just money but lots of draft picks.  So if he does turn out to be a bust what is Cleveland going to do?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:
25 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Fuck Cleveland for throwing an ungodly sum of money at an abuser of women

And not just money but lots of draft picks.  So if he does turn out to be a bust what is Cleveland going to do?

They do what they'd mastered since their "return" in 1999: Lose week in and week out, suck for the first overall pick, treat that guy like nothing, and finish below the basement annually

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Carey said:

They do what they'd mastered since their "return" in 1999: Lose week in and week out, suck for the first overall pick, treat that guy like nothing, and finish below the basement annually

I've often wondered how many of those first round picks would have thrived elsewhere.

53 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I've lived in the Cleveland area my entire life and have seen the Browns make countless stupid moves - both on and off the field. This feels different and much more sinister. Without going into detail, what Mr. Watson is accused of hits too close to home for me. What this tells me is that this organization doesn't care about their female fans...or females in general. YMMV.

• Useful 2
12 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

This feels different and much more sinister. Without going into detail, what Mr. Watson is accused of hits too close to home for me. What this tells me is that this organization doesn't care about their female fans...or females in general. YMMV.

I agree with you.  It just looks so bad. I understand the grand jury declined to indict him but the allegations should be taken seriously.  They are giving him so much money and betting their future on him and I just don't see him being worthy of that.  I've long given up on character mattering in the NFL but this whole thing is just so discouraging.  

• Love 5

If it is was a one year "prove it" deal maaaaaybeee.    Because should he lose his livelihood when nothing has been proven in a court of law yet?    

It's the sweetheart contract that even players like Tom Brady, Russell Wilson and other people don't get.   It's all the draft picks for a guy who didn't play ALL  of last year.    

• Love 6
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

There's a whole section of the league that are playing for NEXT YEAR's rookie QB class which is said to be stronger than this year's. They don't want the half decent starter type (Garoppolo, Mayfield, Bridgewater, even Gardner Minshew) to win 6-9 games and put them out of contention for a top QB prospect. Hence the Marcus Mariotas of the world are going to start. There's no market for the B- starter at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

I've lived in the Cleveland area my entire life and have seen the Browns make countless stupid moves - both on and off the field. This feels different and much more sinister. Without going into detail, what Mr. Watson is accused of hits too close to home for me. What this tells me is that this organization doesn't care about their female fans...or females in general. YMMV.

I don't think the organization cares about people, period.

4 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Fuck Cleveland.  Fuck Cleveland for throwing an ungodly sum of money at an abuser of women (I don't, in fact, believe all twenty-two women are making this shit up), and fuck Cleveland for making me feel just the tiniest bit of sympathy for that entitled douchebag Baker Mayfield.

A mere "Like" is not enough for this.  Co-sign.  Every word of it.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, bosawks said:

If the Browns cut Baker you just know the Steelers will scoop him up and he will be amazing for them.

It almost seems inevitable.

In Cleveland, that's a trope known as "Murphy's Law". Watch Baker lead the Steelers to a Super Bowl ring!!

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, bosawks said:

If the Browns cut Baker you just know the Steelers will scoop him up and he will be amazing for them.

It almost seems inevitable.

As a Steeler fan I would be willing to give Baker a try.  Just think how much motivation he would have to succeed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Haha.  C'mon man; The Steelers would never acquire Mayfield LOL.

More possible than impossible if Cleveland cut someone like Chubbs or Garrett.  Someone like Hunt Pittsburgh might think of for sometime longer than Baker.  While there's a need at QB, there is a need at RB to take some of the load off of Harris.

I'll admit it'll be funny as hell if Pittsburgh cut Mason Rudolph for Baker Mayfield but the Browns probably keep him until they get something for him from the NFC (even if it's a sixth rounder)

8 hours ago, Carey said:

I'll admit it'll be funny as hell if Pittsburgh cut Mason Rudolph for Baker Mayfield but the Browns probably keep him until they get something for him from the NFC (even if it's a sixth rounder

Supposedly AB has said they won’t trade him to an AFC team.  I can see the Browns holding out until a QB gets injured next season and comes a callin’.

Baker should’ve shut his mouth abt wanting to play for the Colts.  Apparently they had very little interest in him, so now any team considering him is going to think twice abt being leftovers inBaker’s mind.

Today was relatively quiet on the trade route.

4 hours ago, Wildcard said:

Dolphins acquire Tyreek Hill

As a life long Dolphins fan, I'm really not sure about this move. I'm not sold on Tua - and without a good QB, this is a lot of money for a WR.

Yeah, the pundits are going nuts for the Dolphins, but I agree.

Tua has shown flashes, but he’s not very mobile when he needs to be, and that Oline still needs shoring up.

Plus, I hate Tyreek Hill for breaking his son’s arm, and would not want him either.