Type keyword(s) to search

Earworms: Music in Commercials

• Start Topic

So Honda ( or is it Toyota) is using OutKast's Hey Ya! for a commercial, and it plays a little of the "shake it like a Polaroid picture" section, so of course  I go around for hours singing "Shake it, shake it, shake it, sh-shake it, shake it, shake it like a Polaroid picture".  Of course, I remember when you did shake Polaroid pictures, so . . .

• LOL 8

I just saw a Pandora commercial that features a guy walking around the city sining Lovely Day" with a bunch of the other characters singing parts of it to him. So I guess that it, like other songs, was made available for use in ads and snapped up by multiple companies. So far we have Allstate and Pandora... who's next?

Dear Elton John, I'm sure you had your reasons for allowing Rakuten to use your beloved song "Rocket Man" in its TV ads. Maybe you've run up a huge American Express bill that you can't possibly pay off. Perhaps it's time for a new hairpiece. I loved your music growing up and hearing it on the radio still makes me smile (unless it's "Crocodile Rock" or "Island Girl.') But Rakuten has seriously violated your song. You should have thought this one out, man.

Sincerely,

Madame Corday

P.S. You're not the brains behind the Skyrizi jingle, are you? ARE YOU?

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Etsy is using Mozart's Queen of the Night aria, which is annoying me for two reasons: 1) the actual lyrics boil down to "kill this guy or I'll disown you", which I'm sure isn't the message they meant, and 2) whoever's doing the singing isn't putting any emotion into it.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, EighteenTwelve said:

Etsy is using Mozart's Queen of the Night aria, which is annoying me for two reasons: 1) the actual lyrics boil down to "kill this guy or I'll disown you", which I'm sure isn't the message they meant, and 2) whoever's doing the singing isn't putting any emotion into it.

Nothing compares to Diana Damrau's version.  Whew.

9 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I know the song has been used in ads before, but afaik, this is the first time the lyrics have been changed (ala Rocketman/Rakuten 🤨😞ODB's 'Baby I Got Your Money', now 'Baby I Got Your Laundry'. Hey Dirty 

This made me think of what will happen with Rhianna's (produced by Kanye West) "Bitch Better Have My Money". 

Still laughing.

• Love 3

Campbell's Soups simple ad featuring three dishes that were made using their canned soups.  Fortunately they use only the intro, "Hungry, Hungry, Hungry."  I had to look it up because it sounds very 1960s, and sure enough it was released in Feb 1966.

Hungry Hungry Hungry

Edited by CrystalBlue
typos
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

We now have the battle of the opera songs. Allstate vs Fage.

The Fage one hurt my ears.  And they claim that commercials are aired at the same volume as regular broadcasting.  I call 🐴 💩 on that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I already hate Applebee's so the chain doesn't have to go to extra lengths to make me dislike them more, although they're giving it the old college try with the commercial with that awful, twangy county western song. Something about fried chicken, cold beer on a Friday night and a pair of jeans that fit just right. That's a major Ew David for me.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2021 at 1:27 PM, mmecorday said:

I already hate Applebee's so the chain doesn't have to go to extra lengths to make me dislike them more, although they're giving it the old college try with the commercial with that awful, twangy county western song. Something about fried chicken, cold beer on a Friday night and a pair of jeans that fit just right. That's a major Ew David for me.

The song is called "Chicken Fried" by The Zac Brown Band. It came out in 2009.

• Love 3

Guys and Girls, i need your help finding an old tv and or cinema ad and the song for it. 

I am almost sure it was either for Pioneer or Panasonic, mos def for some kind of hifi , home cinema brand. 

It was a big production like a Hollywood Action Movie and the whole point of it was to show how immersive it would be to watch an action movie on this specific brands product. 

I remember it playing out in some kind of warehouse near alake or something and a motorboat ripping through this warehouse to a metal song. 

Pretty sure it was either a Sepultura or Pantera Song. 

Must be from the late 90s. 

Can anybody help me? 

what's worse than an earworm in a commercial? an earworm they don't finish! Just saw an ad, the one that uses Cindy Lauper's All Through the Night, the singer sang, "all through the" and they cut to a different commercial! AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! Now I have to find the song and hear it to finish it. I like that one and I don't even mind the slowed down version on the commercial.

• Love 1

Jardiance. The first time I noticed the song was the one with "Audrey" leading the high school marching band. They've used the song continually in different versions.  I remember the song being in the top 40 decades ago. It's called Apache

• Love 2

Jack in the Box has an annoying commercial that turns the Phil Collins '80s song "One More Night" into "One More Bite" to promote their late-night "munchie" meals.  They tend to show the ads with this twice in the same commercial break, which doesn't help.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Jardiance. The first time I noticed the song was the one with "Audrey" leading the high school marching band. They've used the song continually in different versions.  I remember the song being in the top 40 decades ago. It's called Apache

In case anyone is interested, they made a documentary a while back about this song getting sampled everywhere.

Edited by janie jones
  • Useful 5

My dad loves the latest Allstate commercial with the driver and hood ornament singing "Opportunities" by the Pet Shop Boys. (Read somewhere, because of the ad, the song re-charted on dance charts.)

• Love 5
On 1/22/2022 at 4:43 PM, sempervivum said:

I unabashedly enjoy watching 'Never Seen Nothin Like This Before' (the Old Navy ad currently running). I actually have seen all of those clothes before, many times, but it's an infectious tune and the dancing families are cute.

Never Seen Nothin'

Did they do another version of this commercial a while back?

Does it have to be music?

Because I was thinking today as I poured a bowl of cereal that:

I am 55 years old and I don't ever remember a time that I didn't internally say...

What's this stuff? Some cereal. Did you try it? I'm not going to try it, you try it! III'm not going to try it.

Pause

Let's get Mikey! He won't eat it! He hates everything!

Pause

HE LIKES IT!! HEY MIKEY!

...every single time I pour a bowl of cereal. I used to say it out loud when I was pouring bowls for my three sons. I also say it out loud to the two of four granddaughters who are old enough to eat cereal.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Does it have to be music?

Because I was thinking today as I poured a bowl of cereal that:

I am 55 years old and I don't ever remember a time that I didn't internally say...

What's this stuff? Some cereal. Did you try it? I'm not going to try it, you try it! III'm not going to try it.

Pause

Let's get Mikey! He won't eat it! He hates everything!

Pause

HE LIKES IT!! HEY MIKEY!

“When you bring Life home, don’t tell your kids that it’s one of those nutritional cereals you’ve been trying to get them to eat.  You’re the only one who has to know.”

And thanks for quoting it correctly.  It drives me bookers when someone says “Give it to Mikey, he’ll eat anything!”

• Love 1
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

And after all these years, it grates on me how they pronounce “do-NATE.”  Yes, I’m sure it’s an accepted alternative pronunciation, but it still puts my teeth on edge.

It is not an accepted alternative pronunciation.  They mispronounce the word on purpose to fit their irritating, annoying and teeth-jarring ad's lyrics, awful singing and everything else about one of the most creepy commercials on TV and radio ever.

• Useful 1
On 2/1/2022 at 9:32 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I just saw a Folgers commercial with the Freaks and Geeks theme - Bad Reputation. Not quite sure what I think about that. 

I'm liking it so far, and it's a massive improvement over the screechy "best part of waking up" spots they've been running.  JMO. 

• Useful 1
25 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I'm liking it so far, and it's a massive improvement over the screechy "best part of waking up" spots they've been running.  JMO. 

That's a good point.  I still have a little let down every time I hear it, and look up expecting to see the montage of kids posing for school pictures :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Can we please ban the use of What A Wonderful World in commercial.  And by please, I mean stop effing use it in every 3rd commercial, ad agencies.   Is a on sale at Royalties R Us?  Is it being used as a loss leader to get people to buy the rights to other songs?   I hate the original as it is, but there atrocious covers are an assault on the ears.  

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The Kars4Kids song is the anthem of Hell, as we learned on "The Good Place."

That was one of my favorite moments of the whole series (which I loved)!

I have thankfully never seen the commercial, just heard the radio ad - one of those days, I'm going to hurt myself lunging to change the station.

• Love 1
On 2/22/2022 at 12:15 AM, Maverick said:

Can we please ban the use of What A Wonderful World in commercial.  And by please, I mean stop effing use it in every 3rd commercial, ad agencies.   Is a on sale at Royalties R Us?  Is it being used as a loss leader to get people to buy the rights to other songs?   I hate the original as it is, but there atrocious covers are an assault on the ears.  

I think these ad agencies buy the right to use a song, and then to maximize the return on their investment,  use it in as many ads as possible.  A couple of years ago, every other fricking ad was using "Legend" by The Score ("Won't stop till we're legend!") I really like the song, but gah.