Type keyword(s) to search

Earworms: Music in Commercials

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

This song is currently being used in commercials for Oreo cookies. I thought at first it was an old Carole King song, but apparently it was a demo tape recorded by a group called Penny and the Quarters and the song was never released:

Wow, that's a great song.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Is the song State Farm uses that starts “I love you, a bushel and a peck...” a classic old song or a new song made to sound like an old song?  Either way, I like it.

Google tells me that the specific version used in the commercial was recorded by Doris Day in 1950.  It's also from the show Guys And Dolls.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:57 AM, LilWharveyGal said:

Google tells me that the specific version used in the commercial was recorded by Doris Day in 1950.  It's also from the show Guys And Dolls.

Written by Frank Loesser. Sung in the show by the character Miss Adelaide. 

My least favorite use of music in a commercial is the car company that's using Paul Simon's "America." I think "America" is one of Simon's greatest songs. I wonder why someone thought to use it. Yes, it's about a road trip, but it also has such a melancholy feeling, especially at the end.

"Kathy, I'm lost," I said,
Though I knew she was sleeping.
"I'm empty and aching
And I don't know why."

I just hate hearing the music used to sell minivans and SUVs. Harrumph!

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:34 PM, Jordan Baker said:

Written by Frank Loesser. Sung in the show by the character Miss Adelaide. 

My least favorite use of music in a commercial is the car company that's using Paul Simon's "America." I think "America" is one of Simon's greatest songs. I wonder why someone thought to use it. Yes, it's about a road trip, but it also has such a melancholy feeling, especially at the end.

"Kathy, I'm lost," I said,
Though I knew she was sleeping.
"I'm empty and aching
And I don't know why."

I just hate hearing the music used to sell minivans and SUVs. Harrumph!

To be fair, the first Volkswagen commercial which used it featured a road trip to scatter Grandpa's ashes in the ocean.  So the melancholy feeling wasn't completely inappropriate.  But I know what you mean.

• Love 3

I'm generally skeptical of all of the "family values" ads that run late at night showing all the people just loving, I think there's a subliminal message going on. But the one using "I Will Always Love You", I think it's the Whitney Houston version, sounds like her voice, the phrasing, pauses are the way she did them, I don't know, it could be someone imitating her, but I don't think so. I know the song was written by Dolly Parton and I think she's pretty family oriented, but she also has a good head for business, I don't know who owns the rights. Anyway, that song is making me want to watch "The Bodyguard." I haven't seen that movie in probably 20 years, may have to watch it again. I don't remember, but I'm not sure it has a big family values message, I may be wrong, after I see it again I'll report. I'm not even sure I remember what the message of that movie is.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I'm generally skeptical of all of the "family values" ads that run late at night showing all the people just loving, I think there's a subliminal message going on. But the one using "I Will Always Love You", I think it's the Whitney Houston version, sounds like her voice, the phrasing, pauses are the way she did them, I don't know, it could be someone imitating her, but I don't think so. I know the song was written by Dolly Parton and I think she's pretty family oriented, but she also has a good head for business, I don't know who owns the rights. Anyway, that song is making me want to watch "The Bodyguard." I haven't seen that movie in probably 20 years, may have to watch it again. I don't remember, but I'm not sure it has a big family values message, I may be wrong, after I see it again I'll report. I'm not even sure I remember what the message of that movie is.

That is one of my favorite movies, from the costumes to Costner and Houston and their chemistry, the plot line, and the music!  Such a great movie!  I think the message is be careful who you are friendly with; they may not reciprocate in the correct way.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 12:41 AM, CoderLady said:

The music in the Restasis ad with the woman slowly stripping off her makeup annoys the hell out of me. The whole ad does, because it doesn't seem to have any relevance to any kind of medical condition, but I really hate the singer. It sounds like she's singing "Lights, camera, stop da phones." I finally caught the closed captioning and it's "strike a pose." I still don't hear that. Hate it.

ETA: Ok, now it sounds like "strap da phones." It's not getting better. 

Yes, I really hated that one - her voice was super-annoying.

My current ire is with Tena commercials.  "It's me and my best friend.....".  That's all it says.  And this has exactly what to do with Bladder Leakage?

Ever hear a song in a commercial and like it?  Then listen to the whole thing, and figure out that the rest of it isn't so great?  There was a beer commercial that had this song that went "Saltwater in the afternoon" that I liked, so I looked it up.  The whole song just doesn't do it for me.  It's not bad, but the blurb on the commercial is about all I need.  Way back in the Geico Caveman days, one of their commercials had a song blurb on it that I really liked.  I could only find it on a paid download, so I paid $1 for it, only to find out the song had a lot of swearing in it.  I'm not a prude and offended by swearing per se, but in most cases, the "F-Bomb" is just lazy song writing, and really didn't help the song at all.  Lesson learned, and I deleted the song, as I couldn't stand it.  I've wasted a buck on worse, I guess.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Ever hear a song in a commercial and like it?  Then listen to the whole thing, and figure out that the rest of it isn't so great?  There was a beer commercial that had this song that went "Saltwater in the afternoon" that I liked, so I looked it up.  The whole song just doesn't do it for me.  It's not bad, but the blurb on the commercial is about all I need.

I read this and immediately thought of the 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Commercial - Start the Commotion.  What you said that I have made bold sums it up for me.

On 11/21/2017 at 6:08 PM, mojoween said:

I wish Joe Cocker’s estate would stop selling his songs to whichever ad campaign comes along asking for them.

Thanks. Just reading his name there, got 'With a little help from my friends' stuck in my head. XD

• Love 3

Arby's has an ad with a song...about fish. It sounds a lot like a lot of music in commercials and then I heard something about carnivores, that isn't a word used in a lot of songs. It caught my attention, I don't like it, but I am becoming more tolerant. However it is not making me want to go to Arby's for a fish sandwich or anywhere for a fish sandwich. I dislike fish sandwiches.

• Love 1

Who is singing the "Today's the Daisy" (Daisy cottage cheese) song? It's reminding me of Sixpence None the Richer or some voice/band from that era...

Edited by QQQQ
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, friendperidot said:

Arby's has an ad with a song...about fish. It sounds a lot like a lot of music in commercials and then I heard something about carnivores, that isn't a word used in a lot of songs. It caught my attention, I don't like it, but I am becoming more tolerant. However it is not making me want to go to Arby's for a fish sandwich or anywhere for a fish sandwich. I dislike fish sandwiches.

I like fish sandwiches, but to me, Arby's are among the worst (very fishy tasting) so you're not missing anything.    ; )

(edited)

I'm loving the super-catchy song by Jain in that new-ish Levis ad, "Makeba":

Admittedly she avoids the problem of non-featured less catchy bits by basically repeating the chorus used in the ad about eleven times, but I'm not complaining.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm loving the super-catchy song by Jain in that new-ish Levis ad, "Makeba":

Admittedly she avoids the problem of non-featured less catchy bits by basically repeating the chorus used in the ad about eleven times, but I'm not complaining.

Yeah, I love the absolute joy everybody in the ad has.

• Love 2

Damn "Ring My Bell" Wal Mart ad never fails to get the song stuck in my head every time it comes on.

I always heard that was a dirty song.

18 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

? “Tresibaaaa Reaaaddyy”?

The worst ?

You are not wrong about this.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I always heard that was a dirty song.

I'm tempted to investigate, but I don't want "Ring My Bell" stuck in my head again.

I had the TV on for background noise the other night when a commercial for Ethan Allen came on.  I found myself singing along with the commercial and stopped to wonder where I knew it from.  It finally dawned on me that it was part of "Putting It Together" from the 2nd act of "Sunday In The Park With George" (one of my favorite musicals).  I kind-of get their point, but putting a room together isn't necessarily "art" in my opinion.  I suppose my love for the show jades my opinion.  Still like the song, and good on Ethan Allen for showing some love to the theater world.

• Love 2
On 12/23/2017 at 9:53 PM, LillyB said:

I flove Citi's wind mill commercial using one of my all time favorite tunes, Donovan's Catch the Wind.

I really hate that commercial.  It hits me as a "aww, banks are really the good guys out to help you" manipulation that is kind of the antithesis of what I recall Donovan stood for.  But, I'm an old bat like that heh.

It's Armageddon.

I was half-listening to my TV while getting ready for work today and heard an ad for, I think, Audible. The background music was oddly, annoyingly familiar. I didn't realize until after that it was the Brady Bunch's "Sunshine Day."

Now I am annoyed PLUS the song is stuck in my head.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Eliot said:

It's Armageddon.

I was half-listening to my TV while getting ready for work today and heard an ad for, I think, Audible. The background music was oddly, annoyingly familiar. I didn't realize until after that it was the Brady Bunch's "Sunshine Day."

Now I am annoyed PLUS the song is stuck in my head.

Aww, I like "Sunshine Day".  Growing up music!  It still hasn't been explained how "Werewolves Of London" has anything to do with Raisin Bran and fishing, though.

• Love 5

I swear one day I want to stage an off-Broadway musical called "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" Y'all would come, wouldn't you?

It still hasn't been explained how "Werewolves Of London" has anything to do with Raisin Bran and fishing, though.

Yeah, what kind of freak thinks, "This would be the perfect song for a Raisin Bran commercial."

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I swear one day I want to stage an off-Broadway musical called "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" Y'all would come, wouldn't you?

Yeah, what kind of freak thinks, "This would be the perfect song for a Raisin Bran commercial."

I would SO go see an off-Broadway musical "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!"

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

One who thinks Zevon Fans are geezers who need to eat bran flakes?  I don't mind it. It means WZ's still earning money 14 years after he's died.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

One who thinks Zevon Fans are geezers who need to eat bran flakes?  I don't mind it. It means WZ's still earning money 14 years after he's died.

Ah, I never thought of that!  Good catch!  Also glad Warren is still making money.

• Love 1