Type keyword(s) to search

Earworms: Music in Commercials

• Start Topic

On 2/22/2022 at 12:15 AM, Maverick said:

Can we please ban the use of What A Wonderful World in commercial.  And by please, I mean stop effing use it in every 3rd commercial, ad agencies.   Is a on sale at Royalties R Us?  Is it being used as a loss leader to get people to buy the rights to other songs?   I hate the original as it is, but there atrocious covers are an assault on the ears.  

I was just coming here to complain about that! It's difficult to decide which cover is the worst, but I think I have to go with the woman with the raspy, child-like, sing-song delivery.

I'm also deeply resentful of Nina Simone's masterpiece "Feelin' Good" being used to tout COPD medication.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Eliot said:

I'm also deeply resentful of Nina Simone's masterpiece "Feelin' Good" being used to tout COPD medication.

Is that the "Birds flyin' high, you know how I feel" song?  From "The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd," originally sung in the show by Gilbert Price.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:50 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Is that the "Birds flyin' high, you know how I feel" song?  From "The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd," originally sung in the show by Gilbert Price.

Yeah, but the Nina Simone version is what they use in the commercial and it’s just so icky to me now.

• Love 1

Not really a song, but it does get stuck in my head for hours after I see the commercial:

"The peanut butter box is here" from the Chewy.com commercial with the 2 dogs.  I find myself walking around the house singing it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, meep.meep said:

My hatred of the commercial with Ring of Fire sung in Korean has reached white hot levels.

It's (Mandarin) Chinese; it's a commercial for Panda Express. (I love that one.)

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 5

They played it three times during every commercial break on Top Chef last night.  I hate it even more.  Plus it's perky and that song should not be perky.  It's like Faith Hill's upbeat cover of Piece of My Heart.

Not an earworm, but I have to rock out every time I see that NHL commercial using Andrew W. K.'s "Party Hard."

People who think I am just a sweet little old lady would be astonished to learn that I like head banger music. (Along with almost every other kind of music.)

• Love 5

Hotels.com wanted a theme that would communicate the efficiency of their business hotels.

So they used a lightly rearranged version of the theme from the movie The Great Escape. A film based on the true story of a WWII German prison camp.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1

There's a new NJM insurance commercial playing off the idea of insurance jingles being earworms.  Naturally I end up with "We are the Tippy Top, we're top insurance" in my head for hours every time I see the damned commercial.

Can't find a clip of it, but yes, the song is in my head now.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

There's a new NJM insurance commercial playing off the idea of insurance jingles being earworms.  Naturally I end up with "We are the Tippy Top, we're top insurance" in my head for hours every time I see the damned commercial.

Can't find a clip of it, but yes, the song is in my head now.

The sappy crappy song in this commercial for Kay Jeweler 

https://ispot.tv/a/qZ2M

There's an ad from a social media company to promote personalized/targeted advertising. I'm not sure why its on so much lately, but I've seen the ad so many times in one week,  I can sing some of the lines. Not that I want to. If you've seen an ad with a bored-looking woman on a bus, singing to her phone- that's the one.  I'll be glad when they move on to something else.

Also, this ad, for me, qualifies as one that annoys....

I have two current earworms. There's the current Target Summer ad. It's one of the few ads where I stopped to find the whole song.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/blOn/target-totally-summer-song-by-anthony-ramos

I never heard this song before this H&M ad (a store at which I never shop). Now, it pops into my head every one in a while.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/b2YV/h-and-m-welcome-to-htel-hennes-song-by-baccara-featuring-gigi-hadid-and-jill-kortleve

• Love 1
On 6/27/2022 at 5:40 AM, cynicat said:

Along the same lines, fuck you Airbnb  for using Time Warp.  

If you're talking about the song by the B-52s, I may have to go firebomb Airbnbfor that. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

That's the one.  It's by The B-52s. Airbnb, how DARE you???😡

Wait, I thought it was written by Richard O'Brien for the stage show--were the B-52s around in 1972?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, cynicat said:

Wait, I thought it was written by Richard O'Brien for the stage show--were the B-52s around in 1972?

No, they formed in 1976. Maybe it's a cover they did? 

• Love 1

There's some multi-vitamin commercial that's using the song "I Got Life" from the musical "Hair." All I can think then I hear "I got my hair, I got my head" is "This song was NOT written about Anne Boleyn."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Every time I see Amazon’s Prime Day commercial, it gets Billy Ocean’s “Get Out of My Dreams” stuck in my head for at least half a day. Which… I kind of don’t mind because I love that song.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I do love Wawa but the jingle is completely stuck in my head.  In case you live in the Philly area and weren't aware:

Hoagiefest is here, na na na na na

Hoagiefest is here, at wa wa wa wa wa

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, cynicat said:

I do love Wawa but the jingle is completely stuck in my head.  In case you live in the Philly area and weren't aware:

Every time I've spent time in an area where there's a Wawa, it's Hoagiefest. Is it ever not Hoagiefest?

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, cynicat said:

Sheetz. Jus' saying.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2

There's a Venus commercial about public hair. There's singing. In the song they say pubic has been associated with nasty/dirty. And then they cheerfully sing"say pubic!". And I'm 99% sure I hate everything about this commercial but I'm not sure? I'm  oddly entranced? I 100% don't love it. But every time I hear it I get the stupid song stuck in my head. I don't wanna say pubic. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, hiisa said:

There's a Venus commercial about public hair. There's singing. In the song they say pubic has been associated with nasty/dirty. And then they cheerfully sing"say pubic!".

It's not as catchy a song as it should be to hang a one-minute commercial on it, but I love the lines:

Why the mass hysteria about the pubic area
There's nothing diabolical about this little follicle

Edited by Bastet
Ha- the source I copied the lyrics from also changed pubic to public and it took me a minute to catch it
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's not as catchy a song as it should be to hang a one-minute commercial on it, but I love the lines:

Why the mass hysteria about the pubic area
There's nothing diabolical about this little follicle

I honestly never knew there was hysteria at all! I missed all of the hysteria about pubic hair!  And every time this commercial on I sit and stare and wonder what hysteria did I miss that made this dirty necessary? I mean...I nap a lot. So. Maybe it happened then.

30 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Is that why you said this:

😄

I thought all of the autocorrects! My phone is party to the hysteria! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 7/20/2022 at 11:48 AM, janie jones said:

Every time I've spent time in an area where there's a Wawa, it's Hoagiefest. Is it ever not Hoagiefest?

Unfortunately, yes, it is often NOT Hoagiefest.  Although usually that's when the Breakfast Sizzlies are 2 for $4 so . . .

3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

🎶A1C down with Rybelsus🎶

My cats get sung to with that tune.  I imagine they hate it too.

Here's another one. For Kia.  Its instrumental but the song is so beautiful.  So is the ad itself.  A guy takes his Kia and drives up and down the beach cleaning up all the trash.  Then he parks and sits and waits and then you see all the turtles coming up from the water to lay their eggs on a nice clean beach.  Its really very touching.  I'm wondering who the guy was too.  Very cute <g>

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

Here's another one. For Kia.  Its instrumental but the song is so beautiful.  So is the ad itself.  A guy takes his Kia and drives up and down the beach cleaning up all the trash.  Then he parks and sits and waits and then you see all the turtles coming up from the water to lay their eggs on a nice clean beach.  Its really very touching.  I'm wondering who the guy was too.  Very cute <g>

According to ispot.tv:

Songs - Blackness Zone - John Flow

Actors - Charlie Wilson ... Driver, Tim Rozon ... Beachcomber

I thought the driver and the beachcomber were the same guy. Maybe Wilson's the "stunt driver."

6 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

According to ispot.tv:

Songs - Blackness Zone - John Flow

Actors - Charlie Wilson ... Driver, Tim Rozon ... Beachcomber

I thought the driver and the beachcomber were the same guy. Maybe Wilson's the "stunt driver."

Cool thx for the info.  I thought they were one and the same also

• Applause 1
17 hours ago, ForumLou said:

It's the baby turtles at the end that get me every time.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Is this the one?

I couldn't help but wonder how many living things he raked up.

Also, the guy reminds me of Mutt from Schitt's Creek.

Yes, but he sorted through everything so he would have released anything what was alive. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1