Type keyword(s) to search

Earworms: Music in Commercials

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, janie jones said:

In the annals of random songs appearing in commercials:  I'm not sure "Harmony Hall" makes sense in a Comfort Inn commercial.

I've wondered about that one, too, yeah. Especially considering the lyrics. I'm always happy to hear that song pop up on TV in general, but yeah, it's an odd choice indeed. 

• Love 1

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but that horrid "I want it all, I want it now" song is THE WORST. Gah! 

Another potential earworm remedy is to pass the song off, preferably to someone you don't like. I've been successful with this using our interoffice chat system.  😇

• LOL 5
6 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but that horrid "I want it all, I want it now" song is THE WORST. Gah! 

Another potential earworm remedy is to pass the song off, preferably to someone you don't like. I've been successful with this using our interoffice chat system.  😇

That is a Queen song.

6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

That is a Queen song.

I love that song!!!!

On 7/11/2019 at 6:30 PM, janie jones said:

In the annals of random songs appearing in commercials:  I'm not sure "Harmony Hall" makes sense in a Comfort Inn commercial.

No, but it would have been hilarious if they had used "Hotel California". 😉😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

That is a Queen song.

I love the song, but with Queen, it seems to be a thing where you either love them or hate them.  I find very few people who are in-between.  I love them.  😀

• Love 5

I'm one of the in-between people re Queen. I like some of their songs, when I go on fly killing sprees, I sing "another one bites the dust!" I hate flies and I live with a fool that doesn't want to close the door or take out the trash. But I'm a little too old to have gotten most of the Queen songs as they came around. Same with Kiss. But I was singing "I just wanna rock and roll all night and party every day" to my 13 month old great-great niece trying to get her to settle down. She didn't want to do anything with me. And I don't know any more of the lyrics than that. 

And as far as topic goes, there's so many songs that annoy me in commercials. I especially hate when they take one line out of a song and endlessly repeat it, there's a Fleetwood Mac song being used right now, and it annoys the crap out of me. A few years ago, there were ads for Sunshine Furniture (I don't know if they are local or national and I don't know if they are still in business) but they would repeat "I'm walking in sunshine, oh oh, I'm walking in sunshine, oh oh." And that was all the song in the ad, drove me nuts.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, friendperidot said:

And as far as topic goes, there's so many songs that annoy me in commercials. I especially hate when they take one line out of a song and endlessly repeat it, there's a Fleetwood Mac song being used right now, and it annoys the crap out of me.

There's a drug commercial (can't recall what the drug is or what it treats) that uses sound-alike singers doing "Go Your Own Way" but it's so auto-tuned that it is distracting.

I've griped before about the heart drug that uses "The Beat Goes On" but they changed the beat from syncopated to jazzy.  The whole point of the song was that time marches on, and the syncopation was supposed to sound like a clock ticking.  As a musician (not professional), it irritates me.

• Love 4

Thanks to McDonald's,  "Summertime, summertime, summ-summ Summertime" gets stuck in my head. I'm glad they didn't air it in my region until near the end of summer.

Since they can be eaten anytime, what a Quarter Pounder has to do with summer itself, I don't know.

• Love 1

I work in a house with 3 disabled adult women who love watching baseball on tv. Many times a game I have to hear the “Save big money at Menards” jingle. I got to the point that I’d have to plug my ears when it was playing because the song would get caught in a loop in my brain and I’d keep singing it in various styles & voices. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, friendperidot said:

It's Anorro or however it's spelled. I heard that stupid ad a couple of hours after I posted, I just didn't come back because it annoys me. Hmmm, Anorro annoys, there's a good slogan! Oh, probably not what they have in mind.

Yes - that's the "Go Your Own Way" one.

12 hours ago, 4Sibes Redux said:

I work in a house with 3 disabled adult women who love watching baseball on tv. Many times a game I have to hear the “Save big money at Menards” jingle. I got to the point that I’d have to plug my ears when it was playing because the song would get caught in a loop in my brain and I’d keep singing it in various styles & voices. 

And now after seeing the words, I have that Menards jingle stuck in my head too! 🤣

• LOL 2

Had a good chuckle over the use of “Feel Alright” by Supergrass in the latest (?) Enbrel commercial. It’s an instrumental cover; however I have a sneaking suspicion they wanted to use the lyrics (it says “feel alright!” Must be a good song for an RA drug!), but thought better of it. 

Unpopular opinion here, I suspect, but I like the 'Rock Auto' auto products jingle, the one with the very primitive cartoon characters in a rock band ('all the parts you'll ever need'). Or maybe I've just been brainwashed, apparently this thing has been aired for SIX YEARS!

On 8/1/2019 at 11:58 PM, 4Sibes Redux said:

Are you and @AntiBeeSpray in Ohio? 

On 7/30/2019 at 8:42 PM, Ashforth said:

When I get an earworm, every time it starts I sing "It's a Small World" (from Disneyworld) in my mind. Usually works really well.

• Love 1

darn you! Now I've got It's a Small World, it will take months to get rid of it!

That's not exactly the truth, if I let myself think about the Disney ride, I'll get stuck on it. This weekend I watched Little Shop of Horrors, twice, I love that movie. But I'm actually Please, oh oh oh please, grow for me! Wonder why songs from that show aren't used in ads. Grow for me would work for that spray on grass seed. As long as you don't know all the lyrics.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

darn you! Now I've got It's a Small World, it will take months to get rid of it!

That's not exactly the truth, if I let myself think about the Disney ride, I'll get stuck on it. This weekend I watched Little Shop of Horrors, twice, I love that movie. But I'm actually Please, oh oh oh please, grow for me! Wonder why songs from that show aren't used in ads. Grow for me would work for that spray on grass seed. As long as you don't know all the lyrics.

Bahaha! You're welcome. 😉

The other one I use is more obscure --- a child's nursery rhyme, Finnegan Begin Again. 

There was an old man named Michael Finnegan

He grew whiskers on his chinny chin

Shaved them off but they grew back in again.

Poor old Michael Finnegan --- begin again!

• Love 4

My Mom used to call the cats, "Out again, In again, Finnegan," when they'd decided to go out and come in and go out and come in, all within a short space of time. Usually, they were outside during the day, and would come in to check their food dishes, see there's no new food, and go back out. Things were different in the 50s. We didn't even know enough to get Susie spayed, so it seemed we were ALWAYS raising kittens to give away.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Bahaha! You're welcome. 😉

The other one I use is more obscure --- a child's nursery rhyme, Finnegan Begin Again. 

There was an old man named Michael Finnegan

He grew whiskers on his chinny chin

Shaved them off but they grew back in again.

Poor old Michael Finnegan --- begin again!

"The Song that Doesn't End" works as well 🙂

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 2

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only person who does this.....

Have you ever heard a snippet of an UNFAMILIAR song in a commercial, and Googled the lyrics to find the song? What was the song, and what product was it being used for? Did you like the song?

I did this a few years ago when Apple used Sam Smith's "Palace" to advertise their latest ...watch, I think. Oh my. What a singer-songwriter. What a song. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Have you ever heard a snippet of an UNFAMILIAR song in a commercial, and Googled the lyrics to find the song? What was the song, and what product was it being used for? Did you like the song?

I did this a few years ago when Apple used Sam Smith's "Palace" to advertise their latest ...watch, I think. Oh my. What a singer-songwriter. What a song. 

I have done that many times, sometimes because I don't know the song and sometimes because I know that I know the fragment played but can't place the song. I became re-acquainted with Patty Griffin's beautiful performance of "Rain" that way. 

In other news, yesterday I had the Wayfair jingle stuck in my head for about 30 awful minutes.

• Love 1
On 8/19/2019 at 10:48 PM, Colleenna said:

I listen when I'm in stores and restaurants, and I get some from commercials, tv, movies, etc.  I try to jot down lyrics that stand out (instead of stuff that might be in a bunch of songs) and then look them up later.  I've found some stuff I'd never heard of that way.  Sadly, I don't know that many, if any, of them made any kind of headway.

Some good ones I've found:

Do You? - Iffy The Bad Man (never understood why he didn't catch on)

Southern Sun - Boy And Bear (heard this in stores a lot)

Tongue Tied - Grouplove (was in an Apple commercial)

Dark Charms - Banta (hear frequently in a restaurant)

Save It For A Rainy Day - Jayhawks (heard it in a mall)

Then there have been a few that I sought out, only to find out the rest of the song isn't great (aside from the blip I've heard).  "Hurt You" by The Sounds comes to mind.  A blurb was in a Geico commercial.  When I downloaded the song (and paid for it), it had a lot of gratuitous use of the F-Bomb, which is off-putting 99.9% of the time for me in a song.

• Love 3

This is from last year, and if there was such a category, would fall under "misheard lyrics in commercials:"  Last year there was an ad for the smaller Lincoln SUV. Two SUVs, side by side. Man in one listening to an oldie. Woman in other listening to a newer song that I misheard as "Banana on the roof, wearing a cardigan...." I know now that it's some song about Havana, but....

• LOL 1
On 8/5/2019 at 8:06 AM, sempervivum said:

Unpopular opinion here, I suspect, but I like the 'Rock Auto' auto products jingle, the one with the very primitive cartoon characters in a rock band ('all the parts you'll ever need'). Or maybe I've just been brainwashed, apparently this thing has been aired for SIX YEARS!

As a Daria fan, I'm just sad that Mystic Spiral ended up doing ads instead of making it big.

• Love 1
On 9/15/2019 at 8:10 AM, docmatt said:

Seriously one of my favorite songs ever. What was it in an ad for?

That one actually wasn't.  I heard it in a store.  I kind of lumped "Heard In Commercial" with "Heard In Store/Restaurant", since the concept was the same.  Sorry for the confusion.

But as an aside, I still don't understand how he didn't take off.  The mind boggles.

Not new, but those J G Wentworth ads with opera singers doing the jingle: I have a structured settlement, but I need CASH NOW! Call J G Wentworth 877 CASH NOW!

Gah- I woke up with that in my head, and it's still there in mid afternoon.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 10/19/2019 at 4:08 PM, sempervivum said:

Not new, but those J G Wentworth ads with opera singers doing the jingle: I have a structured settlement, but I need CASH NOW! Call J G Wentworth 877 CASH NOW!

Gah- I woke up with that in my head, and it's still there in mid afternoon.

Haha! I don't know why, but I love that commercial. It always makes me smile. Then again, I like Opera to start with 😄

Now I'll probably have that jingle in my head all day as well.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I recently heard Imagine Dragons "Kingdom Come" in a commercial. Unfortunately I don't remember the product. 

However, I was amused by the irony of plugging a product using a song that contains the line "we still are made of greed." 

• LOL 4
On 8/1/2019 at 10:58 PM, 4Sibes Redux said:

I love this one cuz I started singing their tune around my family (we are so non-PC)... "Just don't kick me in Menards"... takes on a lubberly new meaning that I can resist stabbing my ears and just smile.

• LOL 6