Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Barb23 said:

What a look for Jill. I'm not used to anyone wearing 3 inches of spackled on makeup & a chiffonny type blouse to do outside (church) cleanup work.  That blouse had to be very itchy. 

Maybe she thought she had to dress up for the Lord. 

Doesn't everyone garden in chiffon. LOL

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I think they only receive the love offerings.  But, when the plate is passed it is only for the Rods and the church does not take in their usual weekly amount.  Even with a second collection, people come into the church with a set amount of money to give and rarely deviate.  I know that when a visiting priest comes to my church he gets the same amount of money I was already intending to give to our second collection.  

Just because that's your approach doesn't mean that everyone does it that way. That concept seems foreign to me after having spent a few decades as an evangelical. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

5 pictures:

What a horrifically dorky group of men. 

and the girls look better here- I think it’s Renee who usually has the rictus smile. She and kaylee seem to have on less makeup and more normal smiles. 

Edited by awaken
  • Love 2

Alyssa bates did a big Q&A in her stories. Apparently this is likely their last baby, but they don’t use any birth control (not sure she quite gets how that works!). They did get paid for the show, she hasn’t watched it, and their YouTube channel is monetized. 

she also posted her and John on the bed for a date night pose. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I shouldn't be, but I'm always surprised to see the people at these little churches so dressed up. It's just a rule of thumb and not true in every case, of course, but my husband once heard one of his seminary professors observe that people who wear professional clothing for their jobs tend to dress more casually for church, and vice-versa. And I kind of doubt the churches the Rods frequent are brimming with attorneys and business executives.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I know it has been said before, but for all the home maker self adulation of the Fundy women, does not one of them know how to take up the hem on a pair of pants?  One of the easiest things to do, even by hand.  Or iron on webbing tape at the very least.  Just looks so sloppy.  Especially for the church leaders.

(Quite a few years ago my husband needed a new pair of pants for softball umpiring.  He bought them on the morning of the games and of course they were too long.  He did his own hemming with a stapler after deciding sticky take wouldn’t last.  Luckily he went to a friends house to change where his craft was noticed and she had sewn temporary hems in no time with no shiny staples on display.  She said she could not let him leave her house with his pants looking like they did, but she would leave all the proper finishing to me.  And that was for umpiring softball where he got filthy and sweaty.)

• LOL 9
  • Love 13

Stapling your hems😄 - I won't pretend it hasn't crossed my mind to try it too, bahahahahaha. I use that sticky tape as I'm far too cheap to pay 10 Euro for one pair of jeans. It's easy to hem by hand? Really?

Jill needs to get herself checked for thyroid issues, her eyes are nearly popping right out of her head at this stage.

Sooooo.......those poor underfed starvelings have to work to get a scrap of food while Slob shovels more food into his gob and watches from the sideline? Why are they tidying someone else's garden?

Do these people EVER do anything without pretending to bring Religion into it? I mean seriously? You can't ever let up, not even for one second?

Edit, and Alyssa Webster is one of the most empty-headed people ever, along with her sister Carlin. Can't stand her and her carefully posed photos.

Edited by MunichNark
  • Love 18

I made the mistake of watching a minute of Carlin and Evan “camping” on YouTube. They are so dumb I couldn’t bear to watch. Apparently they think everything they do is interesting. I feel bad for Layla, she is just a plaything to them.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, LavendarRose said:

I know it has been said before, but for all the home maker self adulation of the Fundy women, does not one of them know how to take up the hem on a pair of pants?  One of the easiest things to do, even by hand.  Or iron on webbing tape at the very least.  Just looks so sloppy.  Especially for the church leaders.

(Quite a few years ago my husband needed a new pair of pants for softball umpiring.  He bought them on the morning of the games and of course they were too long.  He did his own hemming with a stapler after deciding sticky take wouldn’t last.  Luckily he went to a friends house to change where his craft was noticed and she had sewn temporary hems in no time with no shiny staples on display.  She said she could not let him leave her house with his pants looking like they did, but she would leave all the proper finishing to me.  And that was for umpiring softball where he got filthy and sweaty.)

Hem stapling is a male trait, I think.  My mother and her daughters all knew how to hem a pair of pants from a young age.  I was hemming my dad's dress pants for work by the time I was about 12.  However, one day at work, he noticed that the hem was coming down on one of his pant legs.  Stapler to the rescue!  He put about 20 of the suckers in the hem just to make sure it was fixed.  My mother could've killed him,  I remember carefully prying the staples out so as not to damage the fabric.

Yes, considering all the time these people spend in 'church clothes' and how many photos they take of themselves in those outfits, you'd think they'd do a better job of tailoring and making sure they were neat and presentable. Of course, David's puddling pants don't hold a candle to the abominations his young daughters wear at worship.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

I made the mistake of watching a minute of Carlin and Evan “camping” on YouTube. They are so dumb I couldn’t bear to watch. Apparently they think everything they do is interesting. I feel bad for Layla, she is just a plaything to them.

I made the same mistake & watched it too.  Most ten year olds are more mature than those two. I agree with the posters who thought it was funny they forgot to bring wood when the family business involves tree servicing. 

• LOL 11
On 10/3/2020 at 3:43 AM, Temperance said:

Marjorie Jackson is moving to D.C. I'm not sure what she's doing there, but it seems to be political. 

Source: Her sister's Instagram. 

I knew she graduated from JBU and had written a devotional book, and  did some other ventures.  I took a look at her instagram out of curiosity and was happy she jumped off the duggar train as her life seems to have been filled with adventures. I was never sure why her family was ok with her getting in a "courtship" when she was so young as they seemed very supportive of her early goals of writing. She is still appears to be very Christian and probably conservative but not the duggar version.  When I see the pictures of all her travels in the US and other countries and enjoying her life to the fullest it makes me sad for the ones who did not "get away".   I am just curious what she and her family think now about their brush with the duggars.  Heck I would even like to see the shows they taped and put away when the show was cancelled because of Josh.  I guess I should not judge the ones who hopped on and continue to ride the duggar train, I just will never understand their version (Gothards) of godliness and how miserable that life seems for women in particular. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

No, they were in Vermont. I imagine there are several churches with the same name. Remember, they camped in New York state (per Jill's Insta), which they wouldn't have to do if the church was in southern New Jersey.

I was definitely wrong, but the Open Bible Church here in NJ looks exactly the same.  Maybe someday...

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, auntieminem said:

I was never sure why her family was ok with her getting in a "courtship" when she was so young as they seemed very supportive of her early goals of writing. She is still appears to be very Christian and probably conservative but not the duggar version.  When I see the pictures of all her travels in the US and other countries and enjoying her life to the fullest it makes me sad for the ones who did not "get away".   I am just curious what she and her family think now about their brush with the duggars.  Heck I would even like to see the shows they taped and put away when the show was cancelled because of Josh.  I guess I should not judge the ones who hopped on and continue to ride the duggar train, I just will never understand their version (Gothards) of godliness and how miserable that life seems for women in particular. 

I would guess Marjorie, at least, feels like she dodged a major bullet. When she was involved with Siah, it wasn't a given that marrying a Duggar boy meant spending your days perpetually pregnant and sitting around the big house staring at other perpetually pregnant young women. Josh and Anna were living the high-ish life in DC, Jill and Derrick were off to adventure and potential martyrdom in Danger America and although we joked about Ben cleaning JB's toilets, I certainly never dreamed he's still be doing ??? all these years later. I'm not sure Marjory realized before she really got into the courtship that being a known conservative Christian woman (+writer) and being a Gothard wife were so mutually exclusive. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
26 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

In which they allegedly sing. And Jill still seems to think she's their sister.

Why does Jill make that caption sound like a threat? 

She really has gone off the rails since Nurie left. I feel for everyone in that house (except David), she must be exhausting to be around. 

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

What does her hat say? ______ like Noah...???

Just like Noah

Noah | I can believe even when I don’t understand “It was by faith that Noah built a large boat to save his family from the flood. He obeyed God, who warned him about things that had never happened before."

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 3

there are just no words - prayed for an extra dark baby and thanks to mrs anderson for making that small cake while the camera shows a bunch of old white guys

and if she is "diligent with her school" she must not have been one of the cheaters from the last faux school year

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 1

Blow that covid all over the communal pie. And how sweet of Jill to film her daughter's midsection instead of her face.

And did she give the church members a sob story how they couldn't do anything for her birthday 5 days ago?

Edited by GeeGolly
31 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Why does Jill make that caption sound like a threat? 

She really has gone off the rails since Nurie left. I feel for everyone in that house (except David), she must be exhausting to be around. 

I think it’s because Jill can’t get pregnant anymore. She expected to be heavily knocked up for Nurthan wedding or be pregnant by now. When Nurie announces her pregnancy MAMA will lose her COOL. I can just picture her maniacal smile/screeching.

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 10
55 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

In which they allegedly sing. And Jill still seems to think she's their sister.

The “singing” wasn’t the worst of it. I briefly considered killing myself during the spoken word portion. Fortunately I remembered there’s a mute button! 

Jill must be awful to harmonize with. Her pitch is wobbly, and she’s determined to be the dominant voice so she’s just pointlessly loud. The girls seem more talented, actually. They both showed a lot of range in that song (it’s a dreadful song, but a good showcase for their voices). If they could be taught by anyone other than Jill, they’d probably develop really well. I think they’re both naturally pretty. A lighter hand on the makeup would probably suit their features better, but that’s a matter of taste.

• Love 12
12 hours ago, MunichNark said:

19 hours ago, LavendarRose said:

Reminds me,I wore straight leg Levi's as a young person/teen in the 70's and 80's. I folded them under as I'm short,as they were usually too long.If my mom hemmed them,it messed up the look with an obvious hem line..Or I would cut them off some,and let the ends fray.

These men could at least roll them up underneath? Seems like they just throw them on and enjoy the baggy,sloppy look

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I had a friend who gave birth some years back when hospitals kept babies in the nursery and had a viewing window for visitors.  She and her husband are blue eyed and fair, as are their kids.  When her husband brought her older children to visit, her 3 year old daughter stood at the window and pointed, "Daddy I want a black baby, let's give ours back and take this one!"  When he tried to quiet her, she just protested all the louder that she wanted a black baby and pointed to the one she liked best.  He finally had to pick her up and carry her away from the window.  Luckily, everyone else visiting at the time was highly amused.

My nephew had his little black friend over,and a white friend came by.My nephew introduced him as his brown friend,and said this is my friend and he's brown.What color do you want to be? I want to be blue. LOL

Edited by sondraK
  • LOL 15
1 hour ago, sondraK said:

My nephew had his little black friend over,and a white friend came by.My nephew introduced him as his brown friend,and said this is my friend and he's brown.What color do you want to be? I want to be blue. LOL

Our neighbors daughter, was friends with an African American girl some 40 years ago. When asked about her friend she said she really liked her but it would be nice if she were purple. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Those poor girls are OVER IT. 
Their eyes look dead.

Kaylee looks especially miserable.  She looks like that in every video, and even though she ACTS happy, you can still see the misery in her eyes.  I hope she finds a nice guy and GTFO out of that nuthouse ASAP.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

According to Jill, it is Nurie's dearest wish that she and Mama be pregnant together. She prays for it constantly.

That probably is actually Nurie’s dearest wish, considering the alternative is Jill’s jealousy and spite being aimed at her for nine months. Or forever.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, crazy8s said:

there are just no words - prayed for an extra dark baby and thanks to mrs anderson for making that small cake while the camera shows a bunch of old white guys

and if she is "diligent with her school" she must not have been one of the cheaters from the last faux school year

That's what caught my eye... Why are 95% of the guests old white dudes....standing there like pervs watching the cute little girls and submissive mothers.  🤔

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

That's what caught my eye... Why are 95% of the guests old white dudes....standing there like pervs watching the cute little girls and submissive mothers.  🤔

They probably had a men's prayer meeting or a church board meeting around the same time. As good as the cherry cheese cake looked, that's not enough to give everyone there more than a bite or two.

Hey, Jill & David, stop being such cheapskates and provide your children with their birthday cakes and celebrations instead of grifting them.

• Love 15