Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I'm curious if Alyssa has any help? I know Addallee is back in TN; I saw her in Bates church group shots earlier today. Who's next, Ellie? I don't even know how old she is without a cheat sheet, maybe 10? Would Alyssa allow someone that young to be a helper? I'm not sure how young they started buddying up in the Bates household. 

6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Alyssa posted pictures on Instagram of the family going to church this morning.  I understand that it is Easter, but I really question the wisdom of bringing a 4 day old newborn to a crowded church service.  I know flu season is technically over but evidently there is a second strain still out there that is primarily infecting children.  That's a risk I would never consider taking.

I agree. I think Jesus would understand if Alyssa sat this one out. 

• Love 8

Alyssa's Easter photos are all part of the childbearing contest these girls are part of.  Not only is it about who can have the most babies the fastest, but also who can present the best social media presence while doing it.  

And not to be gross, but I can't imagine dressing in white like that considering what is still happening to a female body four days after having a baby. Maybe they have found a way to pray away postpartum bleeding and leaking breast milk?

• Love 23

The comments on Alyssa's Instagram are nauseating. I didn't see a single one that wasn't leghumping. No wonder idiots like the Websters, Bateses, and Duggars keep doing stupid shit. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Libby96 said:

Alyssa's Easter photos are all part of the childbearing contest these girls are part of.  Not only is it about who can have the most babies the fastest, but also who can present the best social media presence while doing it.  

And not to be gross, but I can't imagine dressing in white like that considering what is still happening to a female body four days after having a baby. Maybe they have found a way to pray away postpartum bleeding and leaking breast milk?

We had our daughter, son-in-law, and three day old granddaughter over today to hang out over a leisurely Easter brunch and dinner, and hopefully let my daughter find some time to grab a couple of quick naps. She's doing well, but still feels- and looks - completely knackered. She's definitely having to deal with all the aforementioned leakages, to say nothing of random spit-up from the baby which ended up on both sets of clothes she brought over...I don't know how these Bates girls manage it, or what other things end up NOT being addressed in the quest for appearing physically perfect days after birth, but something just seems "off" about that whole scenario.

• Love 12

I think Jill could have done something with life, while maybe she doesn’t have the most inquiring mind she has shown a desire to learn in her lame midwife course, which is more than any other Duggar 

Jill strikes me as the type who would put her head meowing and study hard at school, maybe never being an A student but giving it her all

Jessa ... more of a cruise on your looks type

I was out and about with all my babies days after having them

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Totally said:

I think Jill could have done something with life, while maybe she doesn’t have the most inquiring mind she has shown a desire to learn in her lame midwife course, which is more than any other Duggar 

Jill strikes me as the type who would put her head meowing and study hard at school, maybe never being an A student but giving it her all

It's not just that she's out and about 4 days after giving birth.  She and all her kids are in matching dressy outfits; her hair and makeup are styled like she's posing for a magazine.  It's the façade that she's Super Mommy, not only going to church, but she and the entire family must look better than everyone else there and pose for photos to prove it. 

If she's said they went to church and left it at that, or had she gone to church wearing something simple and comfy, her hair pulled back and the kids looking clean and neat but not dressed for the Easter parade; I'd think she was kinda dumb for taking a newborn out amongst the crowd but wouldn't wonder what it is she's trying to hide underneath the 3 inch layer of foundation and false eyelashes.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, Totally said:

Me too. I wasn't looking like Alyssa Bates though :) After baby number three I didn't have a choice but to be out and about. I was usually on bed rest for a month or so leading up to delivery so I was always ready to be out of the house. With my third, my mom picked me up from the hospital when it was time to leave (we own our own business, paying $1,500/month out of pocket -at the time -for health insurance and it was our busy season- husband was there for all of the delivery but had to get back to work), we went straight to Babies-R-Us because I needed bottles- thought the baby would nurse but that wasn't happening, went to pre school to pick up my middle child and then went home.  Less than a week later my kids were on spring break so we went all over the place!

• Love 6

I love the ensembles. Everyone looks polished and stylish. Katie is Erin's twin. Carlin's gorgeous, but I think her personality is off-putting to a lot of guys and that's why she ended up with smarmy Evan.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Totally said:

Yeah, but Jill comes across as — there’s no nice way to put this — dumb. She might grind away at her studies, but I doubt she’d be able to manage to get through much more than a minimally challenging high school curriculum. She seems to have no innate sense of intellectual curiosity or ability to think critically, both of which would be necessary to get through college-level coursework even at a pseudo college like Crown. At least I hope they would. 

Jessa has shown decent reflective thinking skills, like when she commented that she would raise her kids differently than she was raised. She’s the most articulate, both in writing and speaking, of the adult Duggars. She’s also determined when something matters to her... she managed to goad Jim Bob into letting her marry Ben, after all. I’m not saying she’d be a member of Mensa, but I think she could have gone to college, gotten a degree, and had some kind of satisfying career. 

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

Yeah, but Jill comes across as — there’s no nice way to put this — dumb.

I don't think Jill is dumb. I think she spent her first 19-20 years toeing the line for her over-controlling, whacko parents and now she has to learn a whole set of rules for her over-controlling, whacko husband. She tried to break out by learning how to be a midwife because it was approved by her father, only to get married and have the whole thing dismissed because she was going to have babies and never use that skill outside of her unfortunate siblings. She's never had to think hard, never learned to think critically, and is expected to parrot whatever her headship believes. Nobody she loves wants her to appear to be smarter than she does, so why should she try?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Lunera said:

The whole Bates clan puts the Duggars to shame.

I meant surprised no one has mentioned the flats with the dress, when Jill wore flats with a dress there were so many posts devoted to her fashion no sense 

I don’t care either way I just remember the hoo har about it 

54 minutes ago, Totally said:

I meant surprised no one has mentioned the flats with the dress, when Jill wore flats with a dress there were so many posts devoted to her fashion no sense 

I don’t care either way I just remember the hoo har about it 

Maybe cuz the Bates ladies flats match their outfits better.  How can we forget Jessa's constantly worn brown thong sandals worn at every wedding?  I think Jill wore a hideous pair of sparkly flats at a wedding, possibly Dans & Deena's.  I'm a flat shoe person myself so I'm not knocking them at all.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Why is that girl crouching in the weeds to have her picture taken? Is she sitting on a rock or something?  Is that white thing on the ground beside her a crumpled up napkin?  ????

What dumbass looked at that scene and said "now you go over there in the weeds and squat down on that rock next to the trash and those old boards and we'll take your picture." It's the worst setting I've seen since Jill Rod (Stormy!) took pictures of her son standing in a field strewn with bottles and random garbage.

What is it with these people? Why doesn't anyone notice this stuff?

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 18

I like Erin and Chad.  Erin had several miscarriages before they fixed what was wrong!  They prayed for their beautiful babies.

Chad worked a full time job and made custom furniture on the side.

he is now flipping houses with an experienced partner.

I think they live frugally so he can pursue his dream of being self employed.I

I really like all the Bates kids.  I do think Tori is just like her momma with the mouth that never stops!

• Love 2
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Why is that girl crouching in the weeds to have her picture taken? Is she sitting on a rock or something?  Is that white thing on the ground beside her a crumpled up napkin?  ????

What dumbass looked at that scene and said "now you go over there in the weeds and squat down on that rock next to the trash and those old boards and we'll take your picture." It's the worst setting I've seen since Jill Rod (Stormy!) took pictures of her son standing in a field strewn with bottles and random garbage.

What is it with these people? Why doesn't anyone notice this stuff?

LOL. My guess is Lawson who was posing like a GQ model in every shot. I'm surprised he didn't bring an extra outfit for a wardrobe change. His look-off-into-the-distance shots look so natural.

Lawson would never notice trash or the scenery because it's himself, or if he has to, his sibling, that that he's looking at.

I'm guessing Carlin is going with a barn, shabby chic wedding theme and hence the crouch picture. "Hey look Carlin, crouch in front of that fence in the grass. That'll be a perfect picture to have on the welcome table at your wedding!"

The Bates do clean up nice in a way that the Duggars can't seem to manage. I'm really starting to think their lack of good personal hygiene ekes out. And with Jill lack of style too.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 7

Not gonna lie...if I had any sort of public following, you can bet your ass I would be well dressed and made up for pictures 2.5 seconds after giving birth. Hell, I'm a nobody and I still take care to mostly post "good" pictures of myself (unless it's something funny) on fb/insta, where I only follow family and friends. Sure, there are all sorts of internalized societal bullshit involved that bears unpacking, but I don't think it's some big conspiracy on the part of these fundie wives to appear perfect. Even before the birth of social media, I don't know many people who weren't particular about what pictures they put in frames, etc. Has no one here been upset over an unflattering picture of themselves in their yearbook? It's the same principle.

• Love 13
(edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Who’s the guy in the salmon colored pants and yellow shirt? He looks super fly?. 

Trace Bates. I thought he was a teenager but he's actually 21, can't believe he's Josiah's age. According to his IG page he's a sophomore at Clown College. 

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 1

I won't hate on Alyssa for dressing up for Easter if that is what she wanted to do and what makes her feel good.

I just really ( truly) am impressed with her birth recovery. I wouldn't wear a dress like that on my period much less 4 days after giving birth lol!

• Love 12
(edited)

I won't hate on Alyssa for dressing up for Easter if that is what she wanted to do and what makes her feel good.

I just really ( truly) am impressed with her birth recovery. I wouldn't wear a dress like that on my period much less 4 days after giving birth lol!

She's an adult and can do as she pleases.  Her recovery certainly is amazing.

My issue is with bringing such a new baby to church where she could be exposed to all kinds of viruses.  Add the noise which is way beyond normal household levels and that poor baby must have been so stressed!

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 9

I remember last Easter when my 86-year-old mother-in-law had taken to calling Easter "Resurrection Sunday" because the term "Easter" is supposedly pagan and references eggs but "Resurrection Sunday" reminds me of a South Park episode.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

Yes. If she got dolled up for Easter because SHE wanted to, then more power to her. If it was to impress leg humpers or because she felt obligated that’s a different story. 

Considering the photos she posted while her child was the hospital I do think it’s a bit of both. However women cannot win- if she spends too much time on her appearance she’s vain, too little and she’s “let herself go” and “doesn’t care about herself”. 

37 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

She's an adult and can do as she pleases.  Her recovery certainly is amazing.

My issue is with bringing such a new baby to church where she could be exposed to all kinds of viruses.  Add the noise which is way beyond normal household levels and that poor baby must have been so stressed!

I thought the same thing but I don’t know how church is organized for them. Perhaps she and the baby hung out in a quiet area or something during regular services. 

• Love 12
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:45 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

It really bugs me how the Ass Raper has to mention that his victim worked in a strip club.  Because of course only filthy whores who will do it with anybody work in strip clubs, and her employment in one necessarily means he is innocent. She probably even lured him into her bedroom with her evil, nasty ways. That's what women who work in strip clubs do! 

Wasn't the woman passed out or sleeping when he raped her?  I guess it was her ass that lured him into her bedroom, like Eve with the apple.

• Love 6

Four days after giving birth to my sons, I couldn't sit on the ground like Alyssa is doing in those photos. What are these women made of?

I also find a white fitted dress NOT a great choice for a mother who just gave birth...YES, still bleeding & of course, oozing. It's a fact of life...but I guess not for these people.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Four days after giving birth to my sons, I couldn't sit on the ground like Alyssa is doing in those photos. What are these women made of?

I also find a white fitted dress NOT a great choice for a mother who just gave birth...YES, still bleeding & of course, oozing. It's a fact of life...but I guess not for these people.

Hair and makeup were the last things on my mind while I was at the hospital and for weeks afterwards.  They weren't necessary.  Everyone wanted to see the baby, not me.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Wait wait I thought it was ERIN that just gave birth?! I do get all the Bates girls confused. The one who’s married to Chad yes?

Lulz, Erin and Alyssa had their babies two days apart.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Wait wait I thought it was ERIN that just gave birth?! I do get all the Bates girls confused. The one who’s married to Chad yes?

Erin is married to Chad Paine and had her third baby (Everly) on Friday.

Alyssa is married to John Webster (son of a Congressman) and had her third baby (Zoey) on Wednesday. Neither baby is a week old. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

If I looked like Carlin Bates, I’d rock it too. Why not?

Carlin looks great.  Age appropriate and classy. 

I don't think she was paying attention when her parents talked endlessly about modesty.  That's a lot of leg for such a "modest" family!  Makes me laugh at the hypocrisy of it all.  ;)  

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Lunera said:

Trace Bates. I thought he was a teenager but he's actually 21, can't believe he's Josiah's age. According to his IG page he's a sophomore at Clown College. 

I feel as though I am being defrauded by his pants and those of his brothers. Even Jeremy‘s pants aren’t cut that snug. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Lulz, Erin and Alyssa had their babies two days apart.

Oh!!! That makes so much sense thank you! 

51 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I feel as though I am being defrauded by his pants and those of his brothers. Even Jeremy‘s pants aren’t cut that snug. 

I like snug pants on men because I’m a heathen. Lol. 

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

A huge part of being smart is learning to recognize what you don’t know.  Jill has never shown any evidence of being able to do that. Quite the contrary, in fact; she insists on handling her deliveries and those of her sisters as though she were a qualified midwife, when all of the evidence suggests she is completely incapable of attending to a birth competently. Jill ended up having two C-sections for fetal distress (1)because she was unable or unwilling to recognize complications in time to avert them. Joy ended up in the hospital with a C-section because Jill failed to recognize that her baby was breech, which is something she could literally have learned to do by watching YouTube videos. The gaps in her knowledge and judgment have to be explained by something. Assuming she viewed her midwifery training as a serious endeavor and worked at it, I can only conclude that she was intellectually incapable of assimilating or using the information she was taught. 

And honestly, I think these women are being cut too much slack because of the way they were raised. The way they were raised sucked. I’m not going to disagree with that. They have the right to feel angry, or bitter, or indifferent, or whatever else they feel in response to the deficiencies in their upbringing.  But I also think they have the obligation to reflect on that before they propagate it on the next generation. (2)Jill can make bad choices for Jill, either because she is stupid or because she’s been so hamstrung by her upbringing that she cannot function as a normal adult. I won’t begrudge her that.  But her bad choices are now endangering not only her children, but her siblings’ children. Her upbringing shouldn’t excuse that.  

Look at the Bates girls, in comparison. They had a very similar upbringing in the sense that they were members of large families without very much money and had basically the same expectations placed upon them as the Duggar girls did. Yet, from what we have seen, they all seem to be competent mothers and individuals. Erin Bates didn’t say “I have a potentially life-threatening condition, but I’m going to have a homebirth anyway! Whee!”  She got prenatal care and went to the hospital. (3)The worst thing we can say about Alyssa Bates is that she wears too much makeup and took her baby to church too early. The worst thing we can say about Jill Duggar is that she nearly killed herself, both her kids, and her nephew.  There is more going on there than upbringing. She’s either too dumb to recognize her limitations or too smug to care. 

The first bolded part (1) is speculation. We don't what happened with Sam. We only know she tried to have a home birth and ended up at the hospital. Then Sammy was there for two weeks.  We don't why. It could be complications that are genetic or accidental. Israel showed signs of fetal distress, particularly the meconium which can be deadly. But that doesn't mean that Sam's complications could be prevented. 

It's also speculation that Jill was the only midwife with Joy.  An unidentified blonde woman was caught on camera and she could have been another/different midwife. 

(2)Jill thinks she was raised perfectly. She still follows whatever her parents want. For her to change, she would have to realise her upbringing was lacking and she doesn't.  She's not going to do things differently unless it can be proven to her that her parents were wrong. 

(3) As I understand Erin Bates's condition, (not much), the health risks are in being and getting pregnant. Sometimes. the assumption that all the risks in pregnancy come with labor, but sometimes being pregnant itslef can be a health risk. Erin seems to be risking her life, because of her upbringing.  That doesn't sound to me like she's grown out of her upbringing and it's not that different than Jill imo. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 7
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Temperance said:

As I understand Erin's Bates condition, (not much), the health risks are in being and getting pregnant. Sometimes. the assumption that all the risks in pregnancy come with labor, but sometimes being pregnant itslef can be a health risk. Erin seems to be risking her life, because of her upbringing.  That doesn't sound to me like she's grown out of her upbringing and it's not that different than Jill imo. 

So agree! To me that is the height of stupidity.  And it isn't just her.  Her headship should sit her down and say enough already, we have 3 kids and they need you.  Or he could just get snipped on the sly.  But of course that would never happen.

@Sew Sumi: I thought she was told that she could not have umpteen kids due to her condition?

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2

Since learning about Erin's condition, I have heard of several women who had pretty large families. I don't know what the upper limit is, or if there is one that relates to the condition and not insurance covering treatment for her gazillionth kid. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Erin's condition is treatable with the heparin shots, it's not an unknown or sudden issue; she just needs shots to sustain pregnancy, like her mother required progesterone to sustain her last few pregnancies. These weren't life-threatening conditions. Izzy? That was plain stubbornness on Jill's part. We don't know the deets with Sammy, but we do know it was a 40 hour attempted home labor ending in another emergency c-section and a two week stay in the NICU for the baby. 

Once bitten, twice shy AFAIAC. 

Regarding Giddyup's birth, apparently TWO incompetent "midwives" couldn't properly figure out the baby's position. Trained women have been able to diagnose breech for centuries. Trixie even delivered one last week on Call the Midwife, set 55 years ago.  

Jill is incompetent, period.

1 minute ago, Heathen said:

What exactly is her condition? 

I think this answers your question.

1 minute ago, Jeanne222 said:

I think this answers your question.

Forgive me, I didn't read previous comments before I posted. What is the name of her condition? My niece has a clotting disorder -- I'm interested to know if it's the same. 

• Love 1
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

Since learning about Erin's condition, I have heard of several women who had pretty large families. I don't know what the upper limit is, or if there is one that relates to the condition and not insurance covering treatment for her gazillionth kid. 

I'm curious as to how they're affording all this now that Chad no longer has insurance through his job. I see them as one of those families whose income isn't so low as to qualify for Medicaid but not so high they could afford private insurance for a family of four. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I remember a You Tube video of Michelle discussing her pregnancies, labors and deliveries. She stressed a pregnant woman should take care of herself by eating well and getting good prenatal care and prattled on about the Bradley Method. She had 19 kids and most of them in the hospital. Jill, Jessa and Joy did not learn the barefoot, pregnant, squat in the woods routine from her.

Jill just attempting a VBAC at home shows poor judgement, IMO.

I do believe Kelly Bates was/is a believer in "natural childbirth", but under the care of skilled MDs. I remember Whitney shyly and a little bit fearfully saying she wanted pain relief while laboring with their first born in the hospital and Kelly giving her blessing.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 10