Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Normades said:

That is absolutely one of the CREEPIEST things I have ever seen.  Appropriate to post on Halloween.  I started to watch and couldn't stop.  It was like a train wreck.  Did I hear the woman correctly that those dolls were designed to look like they have Downs Syndrome??  I swear that's what I heard her say.  She is truly, disgustingly crazy.  And she wonders why the man in the beginning refused to say hello.  I am stunned!!!

She did indeed say they both had Down Syndrome.  Which, aside from the fact that the odds of fraternal twins both having DS is infinitesimally small, they don't look like Trisomy 13 kids. She also claimed the girl baby weighed 5 lbs and was 22 inches long, so I don't think she really has any idea of what actual babies look like (a kid at that weight and height would resemble a shoelace, not a baby). I didn't watch the whole thing, but, apparently privacy laws are not as strong in Australia and it is possible to traipse through a hospital filming everything in sight and not get tossed out. 

Not to be too creepy, but, the shots where the babies are lying in the hospital cribs all quiet and still, with their mottled, unnatural faces visible; I was reminded of a stillbirth; though I don't think that's what she was going for.

ETA: the overall risk of Down Syndrome in a 35 year old mom is 1 in 270.  The odds that she would have two children with Down Syndrome is around 1 in 73,000.  The odds that they would be twins from the same pregnancy?  Ridiculously unlikely.  If the mom is younger than 35, the odds are even lower.  In her 20's, it would be around 1 in 2 million.

There is something seriously wrong with this woman.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

She also claimed the girl baby weighed 5 lbs and was 22 inches long, so I don't think she really has any idea of what actual babies look like (a kid at that weight and height would resemble a shoelace, not a baby). 

My youngest son when he was born was 5 lb 22 in i thought he looked like a string bean. Well at least we keep it in the family my youngest sister look like an alien when she was born.

Edited by Rabbittron
  • Love 3

I'm pretty certain my c-section involved more than 4 surgical instruments shown in the movie.  (There looked like at least 100 instruments on a side table in the operating room when I had my lung surgery.)  I guess the "surgeon" didnt have anyone else to portray an anesthesiologist.  I was also tired looking at her bare back covered up by one of those flimsy coverups they wear when you are in isolation.  

That woman really needs help.  She's almost as bad as the Munchausen by proxy people. 

BTW - is that you Jill (Dillard)?

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

She did indeed say they both had Down Syndrome.  Which, aside from the fact that the odds of fraternal twins both having DS is infinitesimally small, they don't look like Trisomy 13 kids. She also claimed the girl baby weighed 5 lbs and was 22 inches long, so I don't think she really has any idea of what actual babies look like (a kid at that weight and height would resemble a shoelace, not a baby). I didn't watch the whole thing, but, apparently privacy laws are not as strong in Australia and it is possible to traipse through a hospital filming everything in sight and not get tossed out. 

Not to be too creepy, but, the shots where the babies are lying in the hospital cribs all quiet and still, with their mottled, unnatural faces visible; I was reminded of a stillbirth; though I don't think that's what she was going for.

ETA: the overall risk of Down Syndrome in a 35 year old mom is 1 in 270.  The odds that she would have two children with Down Syndrome is around 1 in 73,000.  The odds that they would be twins from the same pregnancy?  Ridiculously unlikely.  If the mom is younger than 35, the odds are even lower.  In her 20's, it would be around 1 in 2 million.

My daughter has Down Syndrome, or Trisomy 21. The statistic is 1 in approximately 800 no matter how old you are. Statistics only change because they factor in the amount of babies born to women of a certain age. It makes me crazy when I hear of a 29 year old new mom say they aren’t old enough to have a baby with Down Syndrome.  

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Farmfam said:

My daughter has Down Syndrome, or Trisomy 21. The statistic is 1 in approximately 800 no matter how old you are. Statistics only change because they factor in the amount of babies born to women of a certain age. It makes me crazy when I hear of a 29 year old new mom say they aren’t old enough to have a baby with Down Syndrome.  

My mom's friend had a down syndrome child at 21.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Wishing Well said:

Here’s the ridiculous part, I work in banking and we are trained VERY well in how to detect issues like this, and we do...more often than I would like.  We report to the higher ups, then they report to the cops.  Then law enforcement does nothing.

Just the other day I called the police to report identity theft and $7000 missing from an older customer.  “Well?  What are WE supposed to do about that?”

YOUTUBE ONCE RECOMMENDED A VIDEO OF A WOMAN PUSHING AN APPLE OUT OF HER PARTS.

im still scarred

That makes me very sad.  My sister worked in a bank in the area this woman used to live and there was an older man in poor health who was a customer (his wife was in worse health) who was an Arabian horse breeder.  He came in weekly to do his banking and my sister helped him one day.  On his account was a note that said DO NOT GIVE <this woman we dealt with> ANY INFORMATION ON HIS ACCOUNTS.  They were neighbors at one point.  His son is a HUGE financial guy who is on CNBC sometimes so I tried to get in touch with him and ask a question.  Never could reach him.  

I have no words about that video with the apple.  Wow.  Those dolls are creepy AF.  Nightmares I tell ya!  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Farmfam said:

A girl in my high school had a baby with DS. She was 16 or 17.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I work in a hospital in Australia, and we have signs up telling people they are not allowed to film staff or patients while in the hospital (nothing is stopping them from filming themselves). If you violate that, you will be removed.

Back to the Rods, I'm surprised they'd get the girls baby dolls rather than just handing them Janessa and telling them to look after her.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I think her failure to properly calculate the odds of having twins with Down Syndrome is the least of that chick's problems ?  heh heh Just kidding, I know what you meant.

Seriously, why did they even DO this video? What was the point of it?  Whose fantasy was being played out, exactly? I thought I was going to see some weirdo "mom" pretend to give birth to her latex baby so she could experience the delivery process and feel like a real mother yada yada.  But what I got was some preposterous "doctor" (who can't find parking at her own hospital) performing a Cesarean with an Exacto knife (love the aluminum foil wrapped tray holding the surgical instruments and the wrinkled sheets covering the walls ... did they shoot this in a garage or something?). We never even saw the mother's face.  But we were treated to the sad face of that poor kid, Nurse Tianna or whatever her name was ... she seemed so resigned, like a kidnap victim being forced to assist her captor abduct another victim.   She knows that shit is all kinds of wrong, but what's she gonna do?  

Those dolls were freakin' eerie. They reminded me of Buffy and Jodie after a stint in the dirt at the local Pet Sematary. Those eyes. Yikes. 

The worst part is that this whole thing has ruined Australian accents for me for a long time. Possibly forever. I can't get her voice out of my head! 

So Jill ordered a pair of those monstrosities for her daughters?? Good lord, are we gonna see a video of the two of them cradling those rubber nightmares?  Ugh.  Don't they have a real live baby in the house to take care of? 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 20
10 hours ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

Wow. Alyssa and John took their daughters trick or treating. The girls were dressed up as princesses. The lord didn’t strike them down, I assume. I’m actually shocked. 

Now, they just need to send the girls to a private, Christian school and actively encourage them to continue their education beyond high school at a Christian college that’s not PCC.  There’s a lot of space between hell bound heathen and crazy fundie. Hopefully, they’re starting to find that spot. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

Now, they just need to send the girls to a private, Christian school and actively encourage them to continue their education beyond high school at a Christian college that’s not PCC.  There’s a lot of space between hell bound heathen and crazy fundie. Hopefully, they’re starting to find that spot. 

Or a public school. 

• Love 10

Couldn't resist watching the video. In addition to having Down's Syndrome, poor baby Zane has legs that rotate 360 degrees at the hip. When the doctor does the heel stick, Zane's foot is backwards related to the rest of his body and when she picks him up from the bassinet to show off his clothing, each leg twirls around in opposite directions.

I found the whole video hilarious. Just as funny probably was me trying to explain the whole thing to a friend who stopped by.

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

What did Erin Bates do to her hair? In her latest Instagram posts it's a greyish-silvery color, and I can't figure out if it's a filter or if she colored it.

I wonder if it was awkward for Nathan and Ashley to see each other at JD and Abbie's wedding.

It looks like a dye job gone wrong and she hasn't gotten it corrected yet.

Does Katie Bates have a "special friend" yet?

1 hour ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

What did Erin Bates do to her hair? In her latest Instagram posts it's a greyish-silvery color, and I can't figure out if it's a filter or if she colored it.

I wonder if it was awkward for Nathan and Ashley to see each other at JD and Abbie's wedding.

It looks like she tried to dye it that grayish-ashy blonde which was super popular last year. Unfortunately it doesn't suit her skintone. I wonder if that's Josie's work or if she did it herself?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I think Erin went an 'ash' blonde shade. Why isn't she grateful to the Lord for how He created her and quit coloring her hair. I'd like to see her in her natural, "God-given" hair color.

191dbe439fa190e5bd4289b2e62b09ac--seasid2006-vacation-bates4_0.jpg

• Love 5

I think Erin went an 'ash' blonde shade. Why isn't she grateful to the Lord for how He created her and quit coloring her hair. I'd like to see her in her natural, "God-given" hair color.

Thanks, GeeGolly; you're the greatest. Erin looks rather nice in (is that) strawberry blonde hair? 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Thanks, GeeGolly; you're the greatest. Erin looks rather nice in (is that) strawberry blonde hair? 

I think Erin's hair must have darken up as she got older. How else could you explain the dark roots she always seems to have?

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

In singer Emily Ann's IG stories from the Duggar/Burnett wedding reharsal Friday, she posted a picture that included Erin. Her hair was as we're used to seeing it. My bet is on filters for the anniversary pics. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

In singer Emily Ann's IG stories from the Duggar/Burnett wedding reharsal Friday, she posted a picture that included Erin. Her hair was as we're used to seeing it. My bet is on filters for the anniversary pics

which anniversary pics?

11 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Gracie Allen?

That's what I thought: Burns and Allen.

11 minutes ago, Temperance said:

which anniversary pics?

Pics that Erin posted on her IG to publicly wish Chad happy anniversary.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I don't think it looks that bad.? at least she tried something different.

I kind of like it. I like how her hair is styled in the photo as well. I think it looks better than how she normally wears her hair.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yup, that's what I meant...just recognized that I did that. 

There was a Gracie Fields as well, though, I think, right? I'll have to see,, but bedtime now.

I recently read an interesting biography/autobiography written by George Burns and his daughter.  She was going to write a book about her parents and found an autobiography that her father had stated but never finished or published.  It was a very good read.  Apparently Gracie was an extremely talented person. "Because I Love Her, That's Why!" is the title.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect.  While the overall odds of Down Syndrome are 1:800 when you don't consider the age of the mother, the odds of any individual woman have a child with Down are very definitely related to her age at the time of conception.  The odds are never zero, a woman at any age can have a child with a chromosomal anomaly.  The odds I quoted, 1:270 for women age 35 do not involve any sort of 'factoring' of the number of babies born to a woman that age.  Most babies are born to women under 35 and, statistically, because of that, there are more children with Down Syndrome born to women under 35 than over; but that doesn't change the fact that the individual risk of having a child with Down Syndrome rises as a woman ages.  

I'm a statistics geek, majored in Genetics in college and practiced Obstetrics for around 35 years now.

Thank you for the info!  My mother was 16 when she gave birth to my sister who had DS.  I made a conscious decision to have my children in my 20's because I wanted to have the best odds of avoiding health issues.  I've heard so many things.  Do your odds increase if someone in your family was born with DS?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Normades said:

Thank you for the info!  My mother was 16 when she gave birth to my sister who had DS.  I made a conscious decision to have my children in my 20's because I wanted to have the best odds of avoiding health issues.  I've heard so many things.  Do your odds increase if someone in your family was born with DS?

There are 3 different “kinds” of Down Syndrome. One is translocation and it is hereditary. That would be the only one that has a genetic link. The only way to know if it would have been hereditary is having the child with DS tested. 

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect.  While the overall odds of Down Syndrome are 1:800 when you don't consider the age of the mother, the odds of any individual woman have a child with Down are very definitely related to her age at the time of conception.  The odds are never zero, a woman at any age can have a child with a chromosomal anomaly.  The odds I quoted, 1:270 for women age 35 do not involve any sort of 'factoring' of the number of babies born to a woman that age.  Most babies are born to women under 35 and, statistically, because of that, there are more children with Down Syndrome born to women under 35 than over; but that doesn't change the fact that the individual risk of having a child with Down Syndrome rises as a woman ages.  

I'm a statistics geek, majored in Genetics in college and practiced Obstetrics for around 35 years now.

My apologies. I am NOT a statistics geek! - my information came from my MFM doctors and genetic counselors at our children’s hospital. I had been told repeatedly that it is frustrating to them (and myself) to hear of “young” women saying they are too young to have a child diagnosed with DS. I certainly don’t want to pass along incorrect information, but I’m only passing on the information I was given when I was pregnant. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Farmfam said:

There are 3 different “kinds” of Down Syndrome. One is translocation and it is hereditary. That would be the only one that has a genetic link. The only way to know if it would have been hereditary is having the child with DS tested. 

My apologies. I am NOT a statistics geek! - my information came from my MFM doctors and genetic counselors at our children’s hospital. I had been told repeatedly that it is frustrating to them (and myself) to hear of “young” women saying they are too young to have a child diagnosed with DS. I certainly don’t want to pass along incorrect information, but I’m only passing on the information I was given when I was pregnant. 

The hereditary sort of Down Syndrome is exceedingly rare, but occurs when a piece of the 21st chromosome breaks off and 'sticks' to another chromosome during the development of the egg or sperm.  That's what a translocation is.  It isn't very commonly seen in families because most people with Down Syndrome are sterile and will never get pregnant or father a child and therefore cannot pass it along to the next generation.  Chromosomal translocations in general are pretty rare and it depends on which chromosome is involved and how much of it is present, as well as if the translocation is 'balanced' as to whether it is likely to run in a family.  Most people with translocations are not very fertile; they are far more likely to either be infertile or to suffer multiple miscarriages.

I think we're just arguing semantics here, I don't disagree with MFM's and geneticists that mothers of any age can have a child with Down Syndrome.  Obviously, any woman who thinks she is too young to have a Down Syndrome baby is mistaken; however, that doesn't change the fact that the chances of it happening increase as the mother's age increases.  We've been offering genetics counseling and testing to all pregnant women for decades for that very reason.  If there was no risk in a younger mother, then we wouldn't offer the test.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Normades said:

Most likely, you are not at increased risk for a child with Down Syndrome.  It would help to know if your sister had the 'usual' kind of Down Syndrome where there are 3 copies of the 21st chromosome or if she had a translocation of chromosome 21 onto another chromosome and 2 other copies of chromosome 21.  If your mother didn't have a lot of trouble getting pregnant and didn't have a lot of miscarriages, odds are that she didn't have a translocation and your sister had the most common sort of problem which is not hereditary.

However, that being said, if you do get pregnant, make sure your give your history to your doctor and ask about a free fetal DNA test.  Nowadays, we can test the baby's chromosomes with a very accurate test done around 10-12 weeks after the last menstrual period.  In it, a sample of the mother's blood is drawn and analyzed.  It turns out that a fetus sheds its DNA into the mother's bloodstream beginning very early in the pregnancy and testing can separate the baby's DNA from the mom's and it can be tested to pick up chromosomal problems like Down.  Nowadays, it isn't necessary to wait until the second trimester or to use amniocentesis to diagnose.  The test also reveals the baby's gender, BTW.  Obviously, a blood test on the mother isn't going to put the baby at risk like an amnio would, so the test is useful even for women who do not want to terminate their pregnancy but just want to have the opportunity to become better informed, meet specialists and otherwise prepare to care for their child.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Most likely, you are not at increased risk for a child with Down Syndrome.  It would help to know if your sister had the 'usual' kind of Down Syndrome where there are 3 copies of the 21st chromosome or if she had a translocation of chromosome 21 onto another chromosome and 2 other copies of chromosome 21.  If your mother didn't have a lot of trouble getting pregnant and didn't have a lot of miscarriages, odds are that she didn't have a translocation and your sister had the most common sort of problem which is not hereditary.

However, that being said, if you do get pregnant, make sure your give your history to your doctor and ask about a free fetal DNA test.  Nowadays, we can test the baby's chromosomes with a very accurate test done around 10-12 weeks after the last menstrual period.  In it, a sample of the mother's blood is drawn and analyzed.  It turns out that a fetus sheds its DNA into the mother's bloodstream beginning very early in the pregnancy and testing can separate the baby's DNA from the mom's and it can be tested to pick up chromosomal problems like Down.  Nowadays, it isn't necessary to wait until the second trimester or to use amniocentesis to diagnose.  The test also reveals the baby's gender, BTW.  Obviously, a blood test on the mother isn't going to put the baby at risk like an amnio would, so the test is useful even for women who do not want to terminate their pregnancy but just want to have the opportunity to become better informed, meet specialists and otherwise prepare to care for their child.

Yes! The free fetal DNA test is wonderful. We knew so early that we were having a child with DS (11 weeks) and it was wonderful knowing so early.  Also, knowing the gender is a bonus.

I may also add (correct me if I’m wrong Doodlebug!) that if Downs was hereditary, it’s usually known. It either doesn’t skip generations so there are families with a few members born with it, or like you said, have high rates of miscarriages because some pregnancy losses are often chromosomal related. 

Also, I certainly didn’t want to argue with you! You are an expert in the field, and your thoughts and words are respected. I just know what I was told, especially as a “younger” mom with a child with Downs being counseled and then helping other families navigate this world together. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Is chromosome 21 more prone to these anomalies, or are these anomalies just more survivable with this chromosome?

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 1

As always @doodlebug, thanks for the insightful explanation. As a soon to be 38 year old trying to have a baby, this makes me feel a little better.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

Is chromosome 21 more prone to these anomalies, or are these anomalies just more survivable with this chromosome?

I’ll try to answer- chromosomes are numbered 1-23 and abnormalities with them basically go in that order. For example; Trisomy 13 causes many more issues for a baby and doesn’t offer much in the way of life expectancy, but Trisomy 21 (Downs) is considered “mild to moderate” on a disability scale and life expectancy rates aren’t even spoken about as much, as children with Downs are living longer. So issues with a baby’s chromosomes specifically go from severe to less severe. 

Im not an OB or genetics counselor though...just a mom with a child with special needs advocating for us and lots of other families out there...research, research, research is so important! 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, louannems said:

After yesterday's discussion about thinning hair of Jessa and Jinger, I'm now getting lots of ads for best shampoo for thinning hair. I never commented on it but I guess the internet knows all!

I have an ad blocker so don't see any ads, but, am in the market for a shampoo for thinning hair!  And I am way older than all of the Duggars, even JB and Michelle.  By a lot.

• Love 3
On 11/4/2018 at 11:01 AM, ChiCricket said:

I don't think it looks that bad.? at least she tried something different.

Screenshot_20181104-125926.jpg

Is she stuck-up, or just look that way?

So her brother is the desperate baby-holder?  I commented on his cuteness.  I don't get why he would be desperate?  Even the Duggar guys are getting married, and they don't look nearly as good.

• Love 6
On 11/1/2018 at 6:11 AM, FakeJoshDuggar said:

Wow. Alyssa and John took their daughters trick or treating. The girls were dressed up as princesses. The lord didn’t strike them down, I assume. I’m actually shocked. 

Do you have a link for pics? I can’t find them on her Instagram.

29 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I don't get why he would be desperate?  Even the Duggar guys are getting married, and they don't look nearly as good.

IMHO Lawson is desperate for attention, not for a girlfriend. When Nathan asked Ashley to court, Lawson commented on the cowboy boots Nathan bought as a gift. He said that is why he wasn’t interested, because it would cost him money. Plus he’s very invested in his non existent singing career. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Farmfam said:

I’ll try to answer- chromosomes are numbered 1-23 and abnormalities with them basically go in that order. For example; Trisomy 13 causes many more issues for a baby and doesn’t offer much in the way of life expectancy, but Trisomy 21 (Downs) is considered “mild to moderate” on a disability scale and life expectancy rates aren’t even spoken about as much, as children with Downs are living longer. So issues with a baby’s chromosomes specifically go from severe to less severe. 

Im not an OB or genetics counselor though...just a mom with a child with special needs advocating for us and lots of other families out there...research, research, research is so important! 

This is interesting. My son and his daughter have abnormalities with their 18 & 19 chromosomes, but I'm not sure what the issue is. My newborn grandson has issues with his internal organs that may be due to chromosome abnormalities, but they won't find out about the genetic testing until January.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Is she stuck-up, or just look that way?

So her brother is the desperate baby-holder?  I commented on his cuteness.  I don't get why he would be desperate?  Even the Duggar guys are getting married, and they don't look nearly as good.

Erin is definitely princess-y, but she's pretty funny as well.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Nysha said:

This is interesting. My son and his daughter have abnormalities with their 18 & 19 chromosomes, but I'm not sure what the issue is. My newborn grandson has issues with his internal organs that may be due to chromosome abnormalities, but they won't find out about the genetic testing until January.

I have a family member with an 18th chromosome issue. This child has surpassed what was expected that could be done and already beat the projected life expectancy. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SMama said:

Do you have a link for pics? I can’t find them on her Instagram.

IMHO Lawson is desperate for attention, not for a girlfriend. When Nathan asked Ashley to court, Lawson commented on the cowboy boots Nathan bought as a gift. He said that is why he wasn’t interested, because it would cost him money. Plus he’s very invested in his non existent singing career. 

The trick or treat pics are on John's IG. The two older girls were dressed in their dress up princess dresses. I think Lexi just wore a pink tee and a tulle skirt. Allie had on a full dress. They didn't dress up the baby.

• Love 2