Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Long Time Coming

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

That felt like a weird season ender to me. 

And call me crazy, but I kept expecting/wanting Quinn's landlady to show up again since he was back at his apartment complex. Was disappointed when that didn't happen.

• Love 6

That was cruel. To bring Quinn back alive only to kill him with heartbreak. Yes, I know they don't show the bodybag coming back, but who here doubts that he will die in Syria / Iraq?

I disagree with the few posts that nothing happened. Everything happened. Carrie came to an understanding of who she is. Saul came to an understanding of who he is. Quinn came to an understanding of who he is. The pieces all came together.

• Love 19

I don't know about the rest of you, but after last week's episode, I distinctly remember thinking, "If there's one thing I want from the finale, it's to know more about Carrie's mommy issues."

Oh, wait...

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 22

Ugh....I knew it! I knew Quinn was going to leave as soon as I saw the way he hung up the phone!

I have mixed feelings about everything. I clapped a little when Quinn showed up at the funeral....but I also felt like I was watching a John Cusack movie. I didn't mind the slower pace, but it was a little anti-climactic. And I kind of loved the kiss but not sure about yet another pining from afar storyline. Where will they go with it? I'm imagining some kind of Mr. And Mrs.Smith meets Hart to Hart scenario and it that makes we want to cry...but also tune in!

Plus, c'mon Saul!

• Love 4

What in the hell WAS that?  Ugh they are going to ruin this show now with the Carrie/Quinn romance crap.  Isn't there enough drama with terrorist attacks?  I wanted to see what would happen to the ambassador and her husband.  So now Saul is the bad guy???

• Love 2

So...what's the Saul video?

I get that wouldn't want the demand video out so nobody would know he was abducted and that they let the prisoners out in exchange for him, but, from a TV storytelling POV,  it seems like they would've said that outright if that was the case, plus Saul seemed like the only one personally invested in it not getting out. The terrorists wouldn't have any of the satellite footage, and I don't wanna think anything awful happened to Saul that we didn't see yet.

• Love 1

S dar nodal is in bed with terrorists and convinced Saul too Quinn couldn't wait one day? Not even one day?

Carries mom sucks. Sorry but it is beyond evil to abandon your children and tell yourself it's ok because you're focusing on the new new one. Ugh.

Are we done with Pakistan entirely now?

For most of the episode I was a wreck waiting for something to happen- the baby to be kidnapped or Quinn to be killed etc.

It seemed anti-climactic after the rest of this season--BUT, having thought about if for a while, I now think it leaves the show with a potentially brilliant cliff hanger for next season. Saul has sold out to the enemy for power and Carrie must now turn against her beloved and trusted mentor. It could be really good.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 5

A quiet episode to end the season is not the end of the world.  For the first time I actually appreciated what Carrie and Quinn could mean for each other but him leaving was as obvious as it gets.  This show continues again and again to revisit the forced romance stories but I can see here how Quinn and Carrie could actually be good for each other; they're both fucked up and each understands the other. 

I liked season 4 quite a bit.  Without the giant shackled weight of Brody and his dumb family the show has limitless possibilities.  I liked where they went in S4 and I'm optimistic about where they'll go in the future.

• Love 9

I'm not sure how I feel about this episode.

I loved Quinn, thought the kiss scene was hot, and enjoyed seeing Saul's struggle, but COULD.NOT.CARE.LESS about Carrie's mom. I get it, she was the albatross that had to be removed so that Carrie could be with Quinn.   But still, what a totally unlikeable woman.

I will miss Quinn when he dies.  :(

I do like the bitter twist with Saul and Carrie, though I suspect it will grow old quickly.

Regardless, I can now cancel Showtime until September so that's good. :)

• Love 1

No, Frannie is the ugliest baby I've ever seen.  I think it and then I worry she has fetal alcohol so I feel bad but then I come back to her being really, really ugly.  Was she seriously the only redheaded baby they could find? B/c Brody was not ugly and Carrie is lovely.

• Love 2

I liked the episode. After the crazy intensity of the past two episodes, I appreciated that this episode slowed things down a bit. But I felt there were still tense moments--I kept waiting for someone to die--and I also think it sets up for an interesting Season 5. Hoping that Saul is playing Dar Adal. I also would like to see more of General Khan and some closure on the Islamabad plot.

Plus, the scene of Carrie, Saul, Quinn, and Lockhart sitting in the backyard was about as close to joyful as Homeland ever gets. And probably the closest we'll get in a long time. And continued kudos to the casting director for finding the ultimate mini-Brody in baby Frannie. It's kind of freaky. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10

So upon rewatch, I think it's not that bad...I guess I was just waiting for that climactic commeupance for the Pakistanis, especially Tasneem. But it seemed like the writers wanted to focus on the conflict IN the US to set up the next season.

So what's up with Haqqani now? Are they turning him into the Pakistan Javadi now???

And how the heck is Dar Adal, of all people, convinced of Haqqani's commitment and promise that Saul's video will never leak out? Seriously, what is this, a pinkie swear between Haqqani and Adal, and all is forgiven?! This is the same man who said that there will be no more killing after he got the list, then proceeded to kill Fara anyway. Saul is right, he is an effing terrorist, how can he be trusted?!

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

Fool me twice with the video tape reveal, HOMELAND: good on you.

I didn't foresee that the fact of Saul's abduction would be the main item of negotiation between the US and Haqqani. What of the Pakistani assets listed in the file?  Did Haqqani share those with ISI?  Did the ISI assure Adal that they would take no action against them?  As for the other party to the prisoner exchange...Tasneem might be tempted to reveal the story, but the Pakistani government now has the prisoners in detention, and would not want that to be public.

...Carries mom sucks. Sorry but it is beyond evil to abandon your children and tell yourself it's ok because you're focusing on the new new one. Ugh....

If it was the father doing that instead of the mother, it would be par for the course.

...I'm surprised Dana Brody didn't pop in....

I keep expecting her or her mom to show up to take the baby. Irrational, I know. Good thing I don't write the scripts....

...I also think it sets up for an interesting Season 5. Hoping that Saul is playing Dar Adal. I also would like to see more of General Khan and some closure on the Islamabad plot....

...Now these would be great plot points!

That was not what I was expecting, after that season quite a  slow paced finale. 

Didn't care about long lost mommy with new brother too boot showing up.

Did love the kiss scene and the one of Carrie, Saul, Quinn, and Lockhart  drinking at the funeral and the scene with the lasagna. Lockhart's entire demeanor is embarrassment of how he handled the hostage situation. 

Is that it for Islamabad? Are they moving to Syria/Iraq to save Quinn? 

Don't even know what Saul is doing.

Edited by Artsda

I just think it's funny that this season was so tense and action-packed, followed by The Affair, basically 10 episodes of two people circling each other and not much else, and then Homeland ends on such a quiet note, followed by such an event-filled, who-done-it season finale on The Affair!

• Love 2

That was such a weird episode. It felt like a different show altogether--I thought I had missed an episode. The tone was bizarre.

I found Saul confusing. Why was Carrie so upset at the end?

The kiss was sweet, but it was odd how it played out like a regular drama.

Edited by Hava
  • Love 3

That was such a weird episode. It felt like a different show altogether--I thought I had missed an episode. The tone was bizarre.

I found Saul confusing. Why was Carrie so upset at the end?

The kiss was sweet, but it was odd how it played out like a regular drama.

I agree the episode felt so different from the rest of the season - in tone, pacing, story, everything.

I'm not sure what that final scene (reveal?) with Saul meant, but taking a guess - maybe it meant Saul was aligning with Dar Adal for political reasons, which would never be ok with Carrie after seeing her colleagues gunned down by the terrorist they're abetting.

Do the writers think that people tune into this show so they can see a storyline about a deadbeat mother? They might as well up the suck factor by bring Dana back with her inane teen angst storyline.

Edited by Tony
  • Love 2

Homeland is great when it focuses on spy/action stuff. It is pretty bad when it centers around Carrie's personal life. In other words, this episode was an absolute disappointment, a completely inadequate end to what had been a very good season. The writers need to learn what they do well and stick mostly to that instead of dragging down the show with the personal life of a character who is largely irredeemable anyway.

It didn't help that the stories were a bit of a downer. The entire season was a blowout...the Americans got destroyed and never really landed a counter-punch. It was like watching your favourite team lose a football game 45-0, with the announcers spending the entire fourth quarter talking about the head coach's wife and kids.

• Love 7

After all that wait, and with all that chemistry, that kissing scene was not hot. It was painfully corny and contrived. I'm sure they can improve on it though and I'm counting on it.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3

Am I supposed to believe word never leaked to the media that the former CIA director was kidnapped by terrorists and then returned in exchange for freeing Taliban prisoners? In this day in age, how is that even possible? I mean, gruesome beheadings are posted on Youtube shortly after they happen, but in the Homeland universe the terrorists are more reserved? Maybe Haqqani, Tasneem, and Bunny would've kept quiet but not all of their various lowly foot soldiers. Not buying it.

That's the big secret Saul and Dar Adal are trying to keep from getting out? And in exchange for the only known video of Saul as Haqqani's hostage, Haqqani wants to be taken off the CIA's hit list? And with the video in Saul's possession he can now be reinstated as CIA director? That all seems anticlimactic. 

I hated Carrie's mother and knowing her poor timing led to Carrie putting off Quinn, I am going to blame her if anything happens to him in Syria/Iraq. I don't think I want a Carrie/Quinn romance but I do love their friendship and working relationship, and I don't want Quinn to die. How Carrie showed any restraint, though, when they were making out by his truck is beyond me. I'd have jumped into the truck bed with Quinn if he gave me those looks he was giving Carrie. No, seriously show, do not kill Peter Quinn. 

I was surprised to see Carrie being so maternal with Franny. Granted, she'd had 2 uninterrupted months to bond with the baby but seeing her being all lovey with the baby after almost drowning her the last time she saw her was unexpected. This show has made me so paranoid that I thought the old guy in the park was there to kill Carrie. I didn't believe he was "park friends" with Carrie's dad until the scene finally ended and he hadn't shot her. I also thought Quinn was going to die in a hit-and-run as he drove away in his truck. 

I'm disappointed we'll probably never see Khan again since the action next season seems to be moving to Syria and Iraq. 

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

For the first while the show had me going. Carrie was back with her family and safe and Quinn was there... I was waiting for things to turn ugly and for us to find out she was under the influence of ISI drugs again. But then we had a scene between Carrie's sister and Quinn while Carrie was out of the room so there went that idea. However, that scene made me think Carrie was going to come downstairs only to find them making out. And then, what's this? They've avoided a cliche? Oh, wait a minute. There it is.

I was also wondering when Quinn's vehicle was going to blow up or when they'd be interrupted by a gunshot or et cetera. Instead we get a missed connection and Carrie has no opportunity to tell Quinn how she really feels now that she knows it's okay to be bi-polar while being in a relationship. That was cheap. Carrie can't Google? She has no other data to go on as regards mental health other than stories from her mother? "My family fell apart due to this problem therefore all families who face this problem will also fall apart" is some crappy reasoning on Carrie's part and she should know better.

I did however enjoy this exchange (paraphrased):

Carrie: Don't pressure me! My life is full of soap opera drama!

Quinn: I'm going to go halfway around the world and shoot some people now.

So Carrie has this urgent burning need to talk to Quinn to tell him what he already knows (we'll find a way to make it work, his words to her) so what does she do? Goes to the boss of the CIA's Badass Killers department and tries to blackmail him! Again Carrie's logic has gone missing and she doesn't fathom how or why this could be a bad idea.

I feel like this Pakistan plot has been twisted in a way that just doesn't work. Haqqani is supposed to be this show's Bin Laden, right? So let's say after 9/11 a senior CIA Black Ops guy somehow arranges a meeting with Bin Laden and promises to get him off the kill list if he lets go of his only copy of a video of George Tenet on a leash. Seems legit...

• Love 2

I'm disappointed there were so many scenes with Dar Adal.

This show needs to stop obsessing over the espionage and terrorism, and how those relate to politics and international relations.

Couldn't they have cut Dar's scenes so we could see something important, such as Carrie doing laundry or going to the grocery story?

What this episode really needed was an extended scene of Carrie pumping gas at a mini-mart while idling watching people walk in and out of the store to buy cigarettes.

• Love 11

This was not what I expected from a Homeland season finale, but I liked it. It's not the first time they go for the slow pace in the finale after a very intense episode. Last year's, The Star, was quite similar in that after Brody's death they basically showed the audience the ingredients for season 4. In this case, we just saw a few hints of what we should expect from season 5.

I loved several scenes. First of all, the opening, where Carrie and Maggie were dealing with their father's stuff and did not want to throw away anything. I lost my father 13 years ago and I still miss him every single day of my life, I perfectly know that pain, and specifically the feeling of not wanting to give away his stuff or clothes with his scent. It rang so true to me.

And the little shipper in me loved Carrie/Peter, not only the kiss but all their scenes together. I don't watch Homeland for romance obviously, but I think they highlighted very well why things could actually work between them. They know each other's flaws and darkest secrets, yet they developed feelings anyway because they know what it means to be in the CIA, they understand each other and they always have each other's back. (I just hope Rupert Friend comes back next season: I think he will, but does anybody know for sure?). Their relationship is balanced, even though in such a crazy environment.

At the beginning, I rolled my eyes when Carrie's mom showed up. I, too, didn't care for more backstory, until it became obvious she served only one purpose: to let Carrie feel free to be with Peter. Personally, I don't think she should've known better. She grew up knowing that, in her parents case, her father's illness was the reason why her mother left. Frank Mathison basically took the blame of what went wrong because he wanted to protect his daughters from the ugly truth; i.e. his wife wasn't wife material, after all. It doesn't really matter what Carrie subsequently learnt about bi-polarism, as far as she knows she has first hand example of how "people like her" are so damaged and hard to deal with that they can't be in a stable relationship (that's why with Brody was easier). Suddenly, she finds out it is not true. Of course, she had to find this out when Peter already left for Syria, otherwise we couldn't see more drama next season, but I appreciated that little ray of hope from Carrie: we can like her or not, but she's been through some real shit in her life.

I did not expect Saul's video to be the reason why Dar Adal was with Haqqani last episode. In 4x11 thread, a few already foreshadowed that Saul would've been Lockhart's successor, but I completely forgot about the video. Besides, I thought Saul was not ready to come back anytime soon, considering how broken she looked after Pakistan, but clearly I was wrong. He came back even more combative, good for him. That said, there's something I really don't get, hence I'll make a short and very basic recap to try to understand:

-When Haqqani kidnapped Saul, he made a video showing the world he had a former CIA director in his hands.

-It's extremely important this video doesn't go viral, because Saul has been unofficially chosen (as per Dar Adal info) as next director of the CIA and a director cannot be someone who has just been kidnapped by some sort fo Bin Laden.

-Dar Adal went to Pakistan and made a deal with Haqqani in exchange of Saul's video.

-Saul can now become next CIA director.

Now, who decided to make a deal with Haqqani? US President? Dar Adal is Black Ops, therefore he does all the dirty work (like in this case) but he still receives orders from someone, it's not like he took the initiative, is that correct? If that's the case, basically they want Saul to be next director SO BAD to make deals with such a terrorist? If so, why? Is there anybody else? I mean, I know that from a storyline POV it's more compelling if it's Saul, but I can't believe there's no one else (like they did with Lockhart) who can be director without sharing similar burdens. Or, at the very least, without "forcing" a government to negotiate with the chief of Tabilan terrorists. So please, can someone explain this to me?

I hope Lockhart sticks around next season. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he grew on me. The scene with him, Carrie, Quinn and Saul was a really nice touch. Loved it.

Edited by penelope79
  • Love 3

Am I supposed to believe word never leaked to the media that the former CIA director was kidnapped by terrorists and then returned in exchange for freeing Taliban prisoners? In this day in age, how is that even possible? I mean, gruesome beheadings are posted on Youtube shortly after they happen, but in the Homeland universe the terrorists are more reserved?...

...That's the big secret Saul and Dar Adal are trying to keep from getting out? And in exchange for the only known video of Saul as Haqqani's hostage, Haqqani wants to be taken off the CIA's hit list? And with the video in Saul's possession he can now be reinstated as CIA director?...

Seriously. bunnyblue, you and I were watching the same show regarding this plot point and just about all of it, except maybe here:

...I hated Carrie's mother and knowing her poor timing led to Carrie putting off Quinn...I'd have jumped into the truck bed with Quinn if he gave me those looks he was giving Carrie....

I think the physical appearance of Carrie's mom was just to illustrate to the viewers what was already in Carrie's head, motivating her all along in her relationships and/or lack thereof. The appearance of the half brother was the coda to that theme. I mean, yes, we are to blame the mom for Carrie turning away from Quinn and the subsequent phone call between them, but her appearance on the show was not, IMO, the actual catalyst.

ETA: After reading penelope79's post, I realize the appearance of Mom did:

...[serve the] purpose: to let Carrie feel free to be with Peter.

...although it was very contrived, soap opera-esque timing of events.

...I was surprised to see Carrie being so maternal with Franny. Granted, she'd had 2 uninterrupted months to bond with the baby but seeing her being all lovey with the baby after almost drowning her the last time she saw her was unexpected. This show has made me so paranoid that I thought the old guy in the park was there to kill Carrie. I didn't believe he was "park friends" with Carrie's dad until the scene finally ended and he hadn't shot her....

Yes, and yes, exactly my take on both of these bits. Unlike the appearance of an actual mom to blame for Carrie's relationship problems with men, neither Carrie's bonding with Franny nor her instant acceptance of a stranger in a park felt earned or believable.

...I'm disappointed we'll probably never see Khan again since the action next season seems to be moving to Syria and Iraq.

True. I hadn't thought of that. It looks like the distance from Iraq to Pakistan is similar to that of Las Vegas to Pittsburgh. Maybe that's a hint that they will focus on a Carrie-Quinn end game without soap opera obstacles--just geopolitical ones? Edited by shapeshifter

I am just pissed Tasneem is not dead.

I am confused about Saul not wanting "the video" to be made public. There is no guarantee that ISI, now completely and open rogue, will not tell the world what happened. In the real world, Pakistan government/intelligence are not to be trusted, especially without all the american money pouring in, and we should assume the money is gone with the diplomatic relations

I am pretty sure they will come back to Pakistan sometime in the new season. There are too many lose ends and they MUST kill Tasneem.

As for the baby, I agree, the baby looks just like Brody and to join the arbitrary discussion of what is beauty, I think don't think Brody was very good looking at all, quite the contrary. And even if that baby had alcohol fetal syndrome, it is not by her looks that someone would know. It just isn't. 

The baby (babies) are South African twins, from Cape Town, so I think it might have been quite hard to find red haired twins

I am just pissed Tasneem is not dead. [snip] There are too many lose ends and they MUST kill Tasneem.

There is a lot of unfinished business in Pakistan.  I hope the show remedies this next season.  

This episode did a lot to set up next season, but I wish they had ended with last week's jaw dropping reveal of Dar Adal in the car.  That would have kept speculation buzzing until the show returns.  Certainly it is more conversation worthy than Carrie's mommy issues.

I heard that Frannie was partially CGIed to make her look more like Damien Lewis.  Not sure if that's true so I watched closely to see if anything looked odd.  She seems a very happy baby, unfazed by the commotion around a tv production.

Normally I don't love the stuff about Carrie's personal life, but I could totally relate to the quiet sadness of Carrie and her sister going through their dad's stuff because my dad passed away earlier this year. I know that has more to do with me dealing with my own dad's death than this particular plot on the show, but I kept thinking how sad the actresses must be doing these scenes knowing that the actor who played their father was really gone.

I was so happy to see Quinn show up at the funeral just because I wanted proof that he was still alive. Normally we see him and Carrie in high stress situations so it was nice to see them interacting as friends instead of coworkers with the weight of the world on their shoulders.

I can see why the situation really made Quinn think about quitting and living a normal life because this wasthe most normal time he and Carrie have had - talking about her dad, surrounded by her family and friends, no imminent death or destruction for the evening. But to me, it was the equivalent of being on vacation. They had a day where they got to leave all those other things behind and pretend that this was what life could be like for them every day.

The problem is that Quinn is ready to live life as a civilian but Carrie is not. Despite what she said about not leaving Franny again, I don't think she is ready to give up the mission or the adrenaline.

I knew Quinn was going on that mission when Carrie told him that they would talk when she got back from Missouri. The look on his face was utter heartbreak and defeat. He just gave up.

I hated that the one guy was totally peer pressuring Quinn into going on this suicide mission by saying that there was a higher likelihood of the others dying if he didn't go. What if Quinn had still been in Pakistan? Were they going to wait for him to get back? Or not go at all? No, they would have made do without him so STFU with the peer pressure, dude!

This show has made me so paranoid. I spent the entire episode convinced that something horrible was going to happen. I thought the park guy was going to stab Carrie and steal the baby. When she got home and saw the car with Missouri license plates, I was sure someone was going to jump out and grab her. When Carrie got up in the middle of the night, I thought someone was going to conk her on the head when she walked down the hallway in the dark. After Quinn and Carrie walked out of the house after the wake, I was afraid someone was going to kidnap her sister after she closed the door.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I'm wondering if Carrie will ever get to read that letter addressed to her. When Quinn handed the letters to the newbie I thought the top one said "Carrie Matheson". Was that supposed to be a clue about Quinn's return or not? What if he's MIA from the mission? Does she get to read it?

Frannie is not a pretty baby. I'm sorry.

No, she really isn't. I had the same thought and then judged myself for it, but she is just not a cute child. Maybe she'll grow into her looks - I used to babysit a boy who wasn't cute at ALL in infancy (even his parents said so), and got cuter as a toddler.

When she got home and saw the car with Missouri license plates, I was sure someone was going to jump out and grab her.

I thought it was odd that the license plates included PLO in them.  I don't think that signified anything within the context of the show, but given the show's alleged subject matter, it was a little jarring.

But, so long as the show has the courage of its convictions, and we see Carrie with a cooking show on her youtube channel next season, I'm good.

• Love 1
I was surprised to see Carrie being so maternal with Franny. Granted, she'd had 2 uninterrupted months to bond with the baby but seeing her being all lovey with the baby after almost drowning her the last time she saw her was unexpected.

I also felt it was entirely unearned.  Just once I wish a show would have the guts to portray a woman who does not have a maternal side lurking beneath the surface, just waiting to be brought out by their own wee bairn.  Carrie wasn't maternal before she gave birth, there is no magic that occurs after a baby is born if a person doesn't have that instinct.  I'm actually not talking about myself in that.  I have a son, I'd burn alive for him if that would save him, but it is such a disservice to both women and children to suggest that even the least maternal person on Earth just needs the right set of circumstances to become mommy material.  It's not just a disservice, it's a dangerous lie to perpetuate.  

So even though this was a slow-paced character piece, I was pretty much livid throughout it.  I made my poor husband laugh with true gallows humor, because when Carrie got up for her midnight wander, I told him "Maybe that fictional child will die of fictional SIDS and we can all go back to spycraft?"  

It was not to be.  Turned out that we had to examine how even Carrie's bolting mom actually had maternal instincts aplenty, just waiting to be deployed not merely on half-brother doorman, but a playground's worth of children.   Argh, Show.  Overkill much? 

As for the Peter and Carrie story, the show so desperately wants me to invest, but it just doesn't really matter to me.   

The thing I enjoyed most?  Lockhart and his Funereal Lasagna.  Seriously, that was the kind of quiet moment that worked for me.  A bunch of people who have all been through roasting hell together, kicking back with whiskey out of Dixie cups with the tried-and-true Mourning Casserole.   

I didn't hate the episode.  I actually felt like some things were necessary and Saul becoming a darker figure was actually earned.  Pure Heart Saul died when Carrie broke her word and now a more shaded and conflicted man remains.   That's an earned moment, nonsense about yet another video as leverage (good God, Homeland, again?) aside.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

During the last 60 seconds I thought someone was asleep in the editing bay and accidentally left in all that B roll of Claire driving around. WTF

That being said, I do like Carrie and Quinn together. Whether or not that's in the stars, if tptb kill Quinn, I'm done.

When Quinn told Carrie he'd seen her at his worst, he should have added, "AND I shot you, so you can always hold that over my head when I don't pick up my socks".

• Like 1
  • Love 3