Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E10: Smells Like Dirty Tube Socks

• Start Topic

Maya is annoying me. She is too hyper and talks too much. I could sense that Amy was sick of her. Maya made some comment that the Lord helped them out because they chose the motorcar thing that had a rosary. Amy said she thought the Lord had bigger things to think about than them choosing a motor car.

• Love 12

Dammit Phil I was gonna so enjoy watching Brooke and Robbie be eliminated, but you dashed my dreams Phil. Sick of her and her damn complaining and Robbie thinking that they can't lose to "Candy Girls". I hope next week it's the Scientist that eliminates them. Smiled with glee over them losing the lead and cackled with glee that Adam & Bethany beat them to the pit stop and hope the speed bump knocks them out of the race. I'm having my fingers crossed. Robbie sucks now, can't even pick up fish cause they're slimy dude really, you're rolling around the ring with half naked sweaty men, so slimy fish shouldn't be a problem. 

I'm really warming up to the Dentist, Jim has shown that he doesn't go off the handle and stays calm and collected under pressure. So I wouldn't mind Dentist winning the race, just anyone but the wrestlers.

Scientists read your damn clue in full, just looked silly running alongside the road to get to the detours. Since Maya said academically they can outsmart the team. Academics read everything in full, so get on the ball or they might get eliminated. Despite that they came in 2nd which was a shocker for me, but glad they're still in the race as they're the underdogs.

Adam and Bethany ran a good leg, didn't screw up at all, so really nothing to point out for them. They just got to keep it up and not mess up and they can win the whole thing. I continue to adore the both of them.

They all seemed to handle the detours and roadblocks quite well without blowing up, crying, or having meltdowns. When I first saw that it was like a mechanical detour I was like uh oh but the three teams did well if Jim had noticed that he put the shocks in wrong the first couple of times.  They didn't have too much problems with the ox except for it going in the wrong direction a few times.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 6

Not even remotely surprised it was non-elimination.  Usually happens with these needle and haystack tasks.  Overall good.  And honestly I liked how Robbie wasn't good with these tasks.  I kind of like the juxtaposition with him being such a muscular guy.

• Love 4

Well, that was fun. Even though it was a non-elimination, there was still a lot of suspense in this leg.

You know who I feel bad for? Chip & Kim, Linda & Karen, and Brandon & Nicole. All three TAR5 teams knew how to plow with an ox. Tonight, the teams didn't seem interested in guidance. Not like anybody was as bad as Christie, who did nothing but bitch at Colin as his mind broke into itty bitty pieces, but I would've hoped a team would've seen the episode. Oh, well. Then again, can you imagine somebody like Adam having that big of a breakdown? It would not be pretty.

I'm still rooting for the Surfers, but I'm duly impressed by the Dentists' "thumb" victory. They fell behind with the flights, trailed two teams going into the Switchback, but they managed to pull ahead for the win. I'm still waiting for Jim to explode, but I'm happy with him failing to blink.

On the flip side . . . shut up, Brooke. Seriously, she's Flo with muscles. I mean, she did power through the Detour, but she won't stop complaining. We get it . . . the Philippines doesn't smell like the States. You're being an Ugly American, and that's never a good look. And Robbie's squeamishness with animals continues, which is fun to watch. Seeing them in the front was fun, mostly because it never happens. If Amy & Maya take a lead, I'd expect the show to be cancelled then and there, because everything would have officially happened. As it stands now, their getting second place is just as big of a fluke.

Seriously, I'm liking this season. Sure, Colin's tirade wasn't broadcast entirely (I would've wanted an oral history at minimum), and nobody channeled his rage, but you have a Final 4 that's more or less amicable with each other with few hard feelings, yet remaining highly competitive.

• Love 7

Damn, Robbie was picking up those fish one or two at a time! Shovel them in, man! RAAACE!! Glad to see Buzz kept his head from exploding, but happy that the surfers weren't last, even if it was non-elimination.

• Love 5

I've been watching since season 3, and honestly, this is rivalling season 5 for me in being an absolute blast to watch. I've really been souring on the race in the last few seasons, but this has been fantastic tv.

• Love 15

Robbie while scooping fish: "I had a goldfish once...fed it and everything...so I think I can do this (or something)..of course these fish are dead..."

Brooke side-eyes the camera.

I laugh, rewind, laugh again, rewind and laugh again.

but this has been fantastic tv.

I agree, very entertaining.

I also agree with Pickles that Amy seems to be getting a little tired of Maya. I like them though and am glad they had a good showing despite the not-reading-the-clue bit and actually believing that Brooke & Robbie weren't lying to them.

They surely like to highlight Jim's scary eye expressions.  Still he managed his frustration and just got it done.  Misti seems to be having fun, little children in the streets notwithstanding.

• Love 6

Damn, Robbie was picking up those fish one or two at a time! Shovel them in, man! RAAACE!! Glad to see Buzz kept his head from exploding, but happy that the surfers weren't last, even if it was non-elimination.

Was it a rule that they couldn't just dump their bucket into the other one? Did they have to move them by hand? I was amused that Robbie kept talking about their sharp "bones", No, those are scales and fins, sweetie, not their bones sticking out of their skin. But yeah, OW.

• Love 1

Amy has a permanent place in my heart for "the Lord doesn't care which car we pick." And I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I like the dentists. Jim didn't explode at the detour. He just kept at it until he figured out the error. I can't remember the last time I would have been ok with 3 of the 4 final teams winning. Anyone but Brooke. Does she EVER stop whining?

• Love 23

I used to dislike the dentists, but actually I find that I don't mind them now. They maintain generally good attitudes even when they screw up, and they don't snap at each other. Of course we haven't yet seen them in a situation where they are in any real danger of being eliminated yet, so that could change.

I think the scientists are my least favorite team, actually. I can't put my finger on why, exactly, but even the wrestlers-- as offensive as they are sometimes-- seem to have more personality. As much as Brooke complains, I still feel like they're having more fun on the race than the girls. I wouldn't have gotten in that ocean water for anything, though! I can't imagine it's all that pure and clean.

• Love 1

All right I did have one worry for Brooke this episode -- she apparently cut her hand at the fish thing, then had to go do the Oxen.   They made a big deal about the oxen pooping in the fields.   I was really worried about an infection with that open cut.   Fortunately, wussie Robbie did most of the digging.

Really liking the scientists.   I kinda hope they win now.  HUGE difference in how Phil says "candy girls" and how Brooke says it.   As my wise old father says "consider the source."

• Love 11
On the flip side . . . shut up, Brooke. Seriously, she's Flo with muscles. I mean, she did power through the Detour, but she won't stop complaining. We get it . . . the Philippines doesn't smell like the States.

Well, hopefully, she won't visit any major American city during the heat of the summer, especially those in the mid-Atlantic/Northeast. I grew up around Philly with all the skinny alleyways, streets, and cobblestone streets backed up against businesses dumping their garbage in dumpsters. Smelled lovely. Hey, just walk over the puddles of god knows what along the curbs in Time Square in NYC in the summer. Just delightful! And, let's not forget the subway systems and the smell of urine, and that includes Washington, DC.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 8
I grew up around Philly with all the skinny alleyways, streets, and cobblestone streets backed up against businesses dumping their garbage in dumpsters. Smelled lovely. Hey, just walk over the puddles along the curbs in Time Square in NYC in the summer. Just delightful!

I'm going to try to remember this when I bitch (weeks on end) about the heat when we have days and days and days of over 110 temps (Phoenix area).  It smells clean and fresh (unless one is on the freeway during drive time).

• Love 3

Good leg with all the ups and downs, plus it was way more competitive that I expected to be (with the cyclists gone I was expecting it to become a bore race with Dentists and Surfers assuming a clear lead). I hope Amy and Maya can pull it of a underdog victory like the Goat Farmers, but I wouldnt be mad at the Dentist winning (Now that they are finally running without the save, they actually showed some good composure, plus showed some respect for the local people). Not surprise with the wrestlers behavior, a little surprise with the surfers getting on board with the ´´this place stinks`` during the time they spend together, plus some moments I feel a sense of entitlement comming from Adam so they are not my pick to win this (not that I would be mad). Anyway, apart from last week elimination, as long we have some well planned legs comming next (specially the last one), I think this is one of the best seasons we have in years.

• Love 1

Thank goodness for this board! CBS and Dish Network are in a payment dispute, and they STOPPED the channel right when The Amazing Race was about to record. I wanted to see the OX challenge :(

I know! How annoying!

Anyone know how long before the episode is available online?

• Love 1

All right I did have one worry for Brooke this episode -- she apparently cut her hand at the fish thing, then had to go do the Oxen.   They made a big deal about the oxen pooping in the fields.   I was really worried about an infection with that open cut.  

I actually said to my BF, " I hope they get some sort of tropical parasite in that rice paddy." Mean, I know. I've already got my reservation on the bus to hell.

• Love 4

I know! How annoying!

Anyone know how long before the episode is available online?

They usually have a BT copy or two up within hours.

The oxen were way too docile in this episode.  Guess none were descents of Colin's awesome ox.

• Love 3

Seriously. She complains about everything, but then boasts about how tough she is. Not impressed.

I got so tired of her screaming "Oh, my God!" I wanted God to send a lightening bolt her way. When Robbie said something about winning wrestling championships, I rolled my eyes and thought, "You won when the script said to!"

• Love 11

Woo Hoo! Just signed up after lurking for a while (sorry, drinking wine and excited for my first post!).

I like Maya and Amy. Maya for her enthusiasm, Amy for her "God doesn't care...". Dentists have sorta won me over although he looks, to me, like a roided out Mel Gibson. Don't mind the surfers. But please, please let the wrestlers get eliminated next week! He's not so bad but she is so annoying. She's a defeatist whiner with bad fake eyelashes.

I really wish they wouldn't do the "talking heads" commentary. It was obvious to me that the wrestlers wouldn't be eliminated...no way would she be so upbeat otherwise. It's an unnecessary part of the program and kills the suspense IMO.

Edited by GenL
Remove all bolded texf
  • Love 9

It was kind of annoying amount of airport drama for what would wind up not mattering one iota due to the bunching.  I probably would have rather enjoyed a few more minutes of the fish gathering, or the oxen.  (Well, there's a sentence you don't type every day...)

• Love 4

I had a feeling it was going to be a NEL, so I wasn't surprised. 

Not even remotely surprised it was non-elimination.  Usually happens with these needle and haystack tasks. 

I always hope they bring the needle in the haystack & cheese rolling challenges back. I love them.

Put me in the group of people surprised to find themselves liking the dentists. I hated them at first & just want them eliminated, but they've proved to be good racers, & a good couple. I wouldn't be upset if they won.

• Love 3

As Netfoot ably pointed out in previous threads, this was always a NEL ('too close a finish', Phil? come on) so the tension wasn't really there, and in spite of OX! the leg was really pretty flat. Some of that flatness was baked into the design, with the HoO bunch at the beginning and the nature of the tasks. Transitional leg, there to be used for eliminations if the Save had been used. Oh well. You wasted your OX! leg, TPTB. I feel cheated. Miss Alli, I'm sure, feels cheated.

BrooKKKe, right? One part Flo with muscles, one part Kendra with muscles. I get that she's a performer in... well, in wrestling, that completely not-over-the-top not-fake absolutely-a-sport, but retching at every step of the way? What especially grates is that she understood that she was getting a lot of respect from the Filipino crowd watching her and Robbie haul fish, and she was still making exaggerated retches all the way. Pay back that damn respect. Seriously, Free Robbie, even if his aversion to fish-buckets and mud is hilarious. Also, Amy has sufficient wryness that I now want the scientists to win. Actually, I want the cyclists to be reinstated and win, but if that won't happen...

At least I get to laugh at Jim asking for the 'international terminal' at Singapore airport. And yeah, if the dentists win, they'll deserve it by how they've competed, but I will never love them as a team.

Edited by etagloh
  • Love 11

Not only did the dentists not lose their cool, but they were actually able to laugh about how silly their mistake was.  Considering the stakes, how late in the Race it is,  how hot it seemed it be, and the rain, I thought they showed a remarkable amount of character and good spirits.  Even though some of their relationship dynamics are not what I would choose for my relationship, they do seem to genuinely like and respect each other.  And really, they are remarkably confident at a lot of things.  I kind of feel bad for judging them so harshly early on.

Brooke, please take about a dozen seats and enjoy this nice refreshing glass of STFU.  Because my god, you are terrible.  I get that some places may have an unusual and unpleasant odor.  I've walked down Bourbon Street the morning after Mardi Gras, so I know from bad smells.  But the melodramatic gagging?  Way over the top and totally unnecessary.  When I really think about it, I find that I don't mind Robbie that much (although I mind his random flexing a lot), but his proximity to Brooke makes him so much worse.  Related: I never watched Season 3, and just watched the last 2 episodes - Flo may be the only person ever on the race to complain more than Brooke. 

• Love 10

Brooke says they aren't the smartest of the whole group.  Gee, Brooke, you think so?

Jim crouched in the sidecar, looking just like Gollum.

Shut up Brooke! 

Jim:  "I know it's right.  We're about to get the thumbs-up!"
Judge:  "No good."
Jim:  "We got it this time!"
Judge: "No good."
Jim:  "Judge?"
Judge:  "No good."

Robbie woffling on about his childhood fish experiences, and Brooke pauses for a second and looks up with this incredible WTF expression on her face.

Phil!  In an unfortunate pair of trousers.

"God doesn't care what car we picked."

"Oh my gawd!  What did that thing eat?"  I laughed so hard I think I just burst a blood vessel in my head!

And then, the least surprising NEL in 25 seasons of Race history.  "No good."

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 7

The side eye roll that Brooke gave Robbie was one of the funniest things of the episode. Speaking of the beefcake, Robbie continues to look good shirtless, especially with that first trip back out of the water. Though the juxtaposition of such a masculine man being so squeamish was also hilarious. While I think most of us agree that she can STFU and go home already, my like for him continues has slid down some. The pec popping at the finish line was sort of meh this time, though I've found it both charming (with Phil) and annoying (1st episode) in the past. And maybe it was an involuntary muscle twitch, but it looked like Mr. Teeth got in on the pec popping in the final scene when all four teams were on the mat.

I'm just not that nostalgic for the broken ox task. Sure, the original was funny, but it's still a needle in the haystack task that I despise. And as much as I dislike her, I really hope Brooke doesn't catch something nasty from the cuts and nasty water. I was also surprised and pleased that half the teams had plowing experience going into the task.

I think I'm still rooting for the surfers to win, but I wouldn't be upset if the dentists were to win either. When Jim isn't being hyper competitive in a talking head, he's actually quite decent. The dentists have been slowly growing on me throughout the season. While he remained well behaved without the Amazingly bad Save this leg, I suspect his mood would be much darker had he not had it for the entire race.

Whichever food scientist that's hopped up on speed needs to dial it back a notch or two. While I'm glad to see someone enjoying the race and the experience, it felt a little forced to me. Good for them for doing so well this leg, but I really don't want such a poorly performing team to win.

Finally, earlier I remember someone somewhere asking whether or not production tries to avoid filming when it rains. While others provided examples back then, here's your answer again. I was a little nervous for the Wrestlers collecting the fish in those rough waves and dark clouds. The locals at least have some experience from doing that most of their life.

• Love 1

I gotta say, as psycho as the dentists come off in their interview and solo segments, when they're actually in the race, they're among the best behaved teams I've ever seen. We saw it from the wife in the sandwich-shop task a while back, but, considering how deep in the race this is, the edge of final-3, all the pressure and killer fatigue, the fact that Mr. Dentist kept cool, did not blame anyone else, approached his failure logically, and did not fly off the handle after lord knows how long with the frustration of that shock absorber, I'm impressed. Never took it out on the wife, the judge, God, or anyone else; and never once raised his voice.

They won me over this way, too.  Not that I'm hoping they win, but if they do win, I won't be heartbroken over it.  They come on awfully strong sometimes that I want to just throw the remote at the TV, but since they seem to take their mistakes in stride, and have the ability to laugh at themselves, I think they're good racers and are more fun to watch than they are aggravating.

When Brooke and Robbie are busy just doing a task, I enjoy watching them, too, but I am SOOOO over their self promotion in the confessionals.  And Brooke's "I'm Secretly Evil" schtick was tired before it began.

• Love 3

When Robbie was talking about how winning the million was just like all those wrestling championships they've won, I thought, yes, except for the fact that wrestling is rigged and fake, it's exactly like that. (Not that wrestling doesn't require athleticism, but it is not an actual competition in the sense of TAR).

Another thing from wrestling that doesn't really to translate to TAR: going for the villain role may keep you around in wrestling as interesting characters, but mustache twirling does not actually help you stick around in TAR.

Lastly, Brooke was smugging it up about her superior pain tolerance to Amy & Maya last week, but she clearly is very sensitive to smells (she almost threw up on the beach). So, I suspect she wouldn't last five seconds with some of the chem lab experiences Amy & Maya have been through. Think Manila Bay is bad, try hydrogen sulfide straight from the test tube.

I actually like Maya's enthusiasm, though I didn't like her needlessly pressuring Amy to run when they had no real chance at first. Amy needs to save that leg for when it actually matters. I think the conversation about whether God plays a role in day to day events is one they've had many times before, and reflects a difference in their upbringing and beliefs that they are both aware of  and accustomed to. I don't think it's a sign of tension between them.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 8

Dear Brooke and Robbie,  You'd probably find your clue a lot faster if you'd actually, y'know, plow, instead of standing around, complaining and watching the other teams plow and find their clues.

I will be so disappointed if they win!  Any of the other teams would be great.  The Dentists have grown on me as well -- for the same reasons as the rest of you -- they keep their composure so well in the face of adversity.  I'd love it if the Scientists won, though.

• Love 3

Maya is annoying me. She is too hyper and talks too much. I could sense that Amy was sick of her. Maya made some comment that the Lord helped them out because they chose the motorcar thing that had a rosary. Amy said she thought the Lord had bigger things to think about than them choosing a motor car.

I was thinking that it is almost impossible to find public transportation, (tricycles, jeepneys taxi cabs, FXs)... in Manila without Catholic imagery all over them

• Love 1

While I expected a non elimination leg, I don't know if it's the cast, the tasks or the editing but I'm loving this season. And that's after bitching non stop while watching at least the past two (ask the people I watch with). This reconciles me with this show.

At this stage, I'd be happy with anyone winning.

Amy is slowly becoming my favourite racer (in term of personality). She has this dry humour that I really love. The kind that would make a great snarky poster! Jim and Missy I now call Buzz Lightyear (thanks for the person who noted the resemblance, now I see it!) and Phoebe. Adam and Bethany are the happy, happy, happy team, with a mellow flavour (Maya is the happy, happy, happy racer with a touch of manic). And Brooke and Robbie are just two cartoon characters that can and ofter are over the top but who are still fun to watch. 

So basically everyone brings something new to the table and I'm loving it.

Only think I'm not crazy about are needle-in-the-hay tasks, but thankfully this one had no major consequences. I would have hated it if a team had been eliminated because of it.

• Love 4

yes - Phil's pants all this season have been package promoting - frankly it has weirded me out

I noticed it too but his attire has always been weird to me.  Usually he's in grandpa pants with too high a waist and his shirts accentuate his narrow shoulders.  And that awful, huge shell choker that I guess says, "Look, I'm exotic!"

Brook is really giving them a lot to work with.  I don't think I've seen another contestant get such a consistently bad edit.  She seems to only open her mouth to complain or be rude or stupid.  Though I guess it was nice to see her ridicule Robbie and to hear she's an animal person and comfortable with farming.  

How dumb is it to pick the largest field of mud to plow?   

NeffingEL. Math said that this week had to be NEL after last week's wasn't but why, why, why couldn't they have been the other way around? That way the horrid wrestlers would be gone and at least two of the three strongest teams this season would have made the final three.

Brooke is camping out on my last nerve. Whoever compared her to Flo with muscles was dead on and I couldn't stand Flo either. I am a natural optimist and constant negativity is a real bugbear of mine. In fact she is worse than Flo because at least Flo wasn't constantly denigrating another team. I can't work out if she is threatened by the scientist (perceived) intelligence (she did mention in one of the talking heads that she was aware her and Robbie aren't the sharpest tools in the shed) or if she can't see past the physical aspects of the race.

I'll be back with other thoughts when it isn't 10 past 2 in the morning but I had to get that off my chest.