Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E10: Smells Like Dirty Tube Socks

• Start Topic

Hmm... I wonder if Brooke and Robbie had to get their bags from elsewhere?  If they had passed each other on the run, you'd think they would have shown that.

That's what I was thinking, too, Camera One. Wouldn't it be ironic if the reason they finished last was that they finally kept their taxi/tuktuk and had to go back to pay the driver and/or get their bags?

• Love 2

Was it the 'find Phil on foot' thing?  Maybe Bethany and Adam just found Phil faster.  Brook and Robbie might've been looking in the mud or something.  

I too found Misti's reaction to the kids in the street real and touching.  I don't like the team, not sure why, but for a married team there's been very little or no couple drama.  I'll give them that.  Though the 'fat girl's socks' comment was mildly annoying.  

Why does everyone keep saying "Oh just wait until Jim blows up."    We are pretty far into the race at this point and he has been nothing but polite to the other racers, the locals and his wife.   "Oh but he had the save to keep him calm."   From the way he acted at the end of the 9th leg saying he got to take it home as a souvenir, the plan was always to finish too high to need it.   And when he did think it would have to be used he certainly wasn't angry about the circumstances that caused that to happen.   Also during tasks he is never "Oh take your time, we always have the save."   Now that he doesn't have the save, he just got on with the job.   There was no cursing, yelling or blaming when he couldn't figure out what was wrong with the sidecar.   He was more of an "oh I'm an idiot for missing the shock."   He certainly didn't scream at Misti for not pointing out it as some other racers would have done.   He then got moving with the Ox without fuss (hello BROOKE).   

If he hasn't blown up yet, I don't think it is going to happen.   He is one of those competitive people, but he takes responsibility for his mistakes and doesn't blow up about it, but corrects it and moves on.   Boring tv, but very adult behavior.   

• Love 17

Why does everyone keep saying "Oh just wait until Jim blows up."    We are pretty far into the race at this point and he has been nothing but polite to the other racers, the locals and his wife.   "Oh but he had the save to keep him calm."   From the way he acted at the end of the 9th leg saying he got to take it home as a souvenir, the plan was always to finish too high to need it.   And when he did think it would have to be used he certainly wasn't angry about the circumstances that caused that to happen.   Also during tasks he is never "Oh take your time, we always have the save."   Now that he doesn't have the save, he just got on with the job.   There was no cursing, yelling or blaming when he couldn't figure out what was wrong with the sidecar.   He was more of an "oh I'm an idiot for missing the shock."   He certainly didn't scream at Misti for not pointing out it as some other racers would have done.   He then got moving with the Ox without fuss (hello BROOKE).   

If he hasn't blown up yet, I don't think it is going to happen.   He is one of those competitive people, but he takes responsibility for his mistakes and doesn't blow up about it, but corrects it and moves on.   Boring tv, but very adult behavior.   

Regarding taking the SAVE home as a souvenir:

He may not have necessarily meant to do that all along.  I understood it to mean that "since we haven't had to use it and have to turn it in, I get to take it home with me, right Phil?".

Regarding Jim's calm demeanor:

That may have been the case but, remember... the show is heavily edited.  They show us what they want to show us, and leave out what they want to, as well.  How do we know that he didn't say to Misti, "Honey, you didn't notice that either?"

• Love 1

But that can't be so, because all the tasks are decided in advance before casting happens, by separate teams in separate rooms sworn to blood oaths of secrecy and etc.

It's weird, though. This is the third time we've had something that possibly could have been a Road Block and wasn't, or where there's an obvious lack of Road Block in a leg. The TAR 5 ox task was a Detour option, so it's not an exact parallel, though as dgpolo notes, the oxen were set up in a way that made it more feasible for a single person to both steer and plough. Either RBs are being edited away all over the place, which I doubt, or something's going on here. Two of those tasks (ox-plough and punting) might have have caused Bethany difficulties had she done them alone; the other (sheep herding) was perhaps considered as a RB but was borderline impossible for one person in practice.

And though I don't want to dig up stuff from last week: if Bethany were to face a RB task that depends upon two arms to complete, and either got eliminated or needed to take a four-hour penalty, it would be painful television and make TPTB look terrible. I can accept there's a wall between leg design and casting, while also believing that "not wanting to look terrible" might be a reason for TPTB to breach it. 

My understanding from reading things Luke Adams has said about the design of the race is that TPTB on the casting side told him that there would be no special consideration given to him on the basis of his disability but that the race designers, due to the wall that exists between race design and casting do design at least 50% of roadblocks and at least one side of each detour in such a way that it is possible for a person with the kinds of disability likely to be cast to do the tasks. However if you interpret the cryptic clue on the roadblock incorrectly and choose to a roadblock you can't physically do, it is your bad and you can take a penalty.

• Love 1

I haven't seen it mentioned, but what did Jim say in the opening?  I swear he said something about breaking peoples' spirits.

I understand why people keep saying Jim is going to blow.  He's incredibly intense, his veins are always distended in his face and neck, and his eyes rarely blink and are on the verge of bulging out of his face.  But, I think he has proven that he has a firm control of his temper.  He didn't lose it in the frustration of assembling the vehicle.  While I am primarily rooting for anyone but the wrestlers, I'd prefer the scientists then the dentists win at this point.

• Love 1

That may have been the case but, remember... the show is heavily edited.  They show us what they want to show us, and leave out what they want to, as well.  How do we know that he didn't say to Misti, "Honey, you didn't notice that either?"

Sure it's heavily edited -- for everyone.   Why would they edit Jim nicely and not edit everyone else's blow ups out?   Especially when blow ups make great tv?   Granted it would mean there would be absolutely no screen time for Brooke if they did that, but I could live with that.

Why assume they are editing anything out?   Maybe what you see is what you get?   A hyper competitive person who puts enormous stress on himself but does not take it out on others?   There are such people. 

• Love 5

Why does everyone keep saying "Oh just wait until Jim blows up."    We are pretty far into the race at this point and he has been nothing but polite to the other racers, the locals and his wife.   "Oh but he had the save to keep him calm." ...

I wonder if his physical appearance has helped to maintain an initial impression of him as, This crazy-eyed-muscle-guy kind of worries me.

• Love 3

You left Bethany out.  I would place her above Brooke, but below Misti.  Bethany was nowhere near as offensive as Brooke, but she joined Brooke in the repulsed nose holding, followed by calling Filipino water "gross", and stating they would not go in it. 

1) As a surfer, she may well read about water conditions around the world and in fact know that the water there is gross.

2) Given that the ocean adjacent to many US urban areas is gross as hell, it's quite reasonable to assume that's even more likely in the Phillipines.

• Love 8

Sure it's heavily edited -- for everyone.   Why would they edit Jim nicely and not edit everyone else's blow ups out?   Especially when blow ups make great tv?   Granted it would mean there would be absolutely no screen time for Brooke if they did that, but I could live with that.

Why assume they are editing anything out?   Maybe what you see is what you get?   A hyper competitive person who puts enormous stress on himself but does not take it out on others?   There are such people. 

I have no idea why they edit the way that they do.  My point was that they can't put everything in so some things get left on the cutting room floor.  That is all.

"Why assume they are editing anything out?"  I thought you already agreed that they edit for everyone? 

You're right -- the parasites in the water might have come down with Brookitis!

Symptoms include whininess, helplessness, pessimism, rudeness and a sharp lowering of IQ.

• Love 8

Was it the 'find Phil on foot' thing?  Maybe Bethany and Adam just found Phil faster.  Brook and Robbie might've been looking in the mud or something.    

I think Brooke and Robbie ran right past Phil while they were looking for one of the other teams to point them in the right direction.  Oh wait, pointing them in the right direction isn't good enough - they were looking for one of the other teams to tell them exactly where Phil was standing. 

• Love 4

What's that?  Karma paying a visit to Brooke and Robbie?  Reminds me of a favorite quote from the TWoP site, for another reality show:  "From its perch on the couch with a beer and a bag of pretzels, Karma shrugs, like, 'Well, fuck with me if you want to, you'll see how it works out.'"  (I would credit the writer if I could, but the remnant of the site says it is by "admin".) 

• Love 1

I haven't seen it mentioned, but what did Jim say in the opening?  I swear he said something about breaking peoples' spirits.

Yeah, he did say something about hoping to break the other teams' spirits by winning legs 10 and 11.  Dude takes no prisoners.

Brooke and Robbie may have gotten the last clue first, but they were basically tied with the Surfers.  I think maybe the surfers' rice paddy was just closer to Phil, or the wrestlers didn't know which way to run at first, or like someone else said they had to get their bags and/or pay their taxi.

For the most part I haven't really been bothered by the wrestlers. To use a term from their industry they are obviously trying to play the heel to get more airtime. But this episode their stupidity made me laugh. When they met the scientists at the airport they were talking about how they weren't scared of them and they would do whatever it takes to win. But if you weren't scared of them, then why the hell would you lie to them at the airport. Why not just tell them that you tricked them on the previous leg, because you wanted to beat them? I mean what are they going to do? All of the yields are already gone. Just tell them the truth. 

• Love 2
Something hit me during the sidecar assembling, when he was leaning over inside the car, saying, "we've got this, etc." -- he really sounded like a motivational speaker, except he was really talking to himself.  Apparently his system works, but I would find it grating.  Aside from his (thyroid?) condition that makes his eyes bulge, which is not under his control, perhaps it is the self-motivational and then external promotional confessionals that make him so unliked.  I think he is a remarkable competitor.
He might be a good self-motivating competitor, but some of the things he says and does grate on me to no end.  The thing with the thumb in particular, and the "five first place finishes" and the "team dominant" talk.

Why not just tell them that you tricked them on the previous leg, because you wanted to beat them? I mean what are they going to do? All of the yields are already gone. Just tell them the truth.
I don't blame them for this.  Just because previous races only had two U Turns doesn't necessarily mean there couldn't be another.  It would seem a bit unfair with only four teams left, but this Save thing was new this season, so nothing can be assumed.  Also, it could be just a simple reason of staying on Amy and Maya's good side.  If there was ever a situation where Maya could help them (telling them about a better flight, giving them directions, etc) it's better that she not dislike them.  Frankly, I thought Maya was extremely naive for believing Brooke's story that "we thought you had already looked there".  Brooke and Robbie had just found their clue, Maya point blank asked them if it was there, and Brooke said no.  How could she possibly have thought Maya had already looked there?  That wasn't what Maya had even asked.
  • Love 1

I don't blame them for this.  Just because previous races only had two U Turns doesn't necessarily mean there couldn't be another.  It would seem a bit unfair with only four teams left, but this Save thing was new this season, so nothing can be assumed.  Also, it could be just a simple reason of staying on Amy and Maya's good side.  If there was ever a situation where Maya could help them (telling them about a better flight, giving them directions, etc) it's better that she not dislike them.  Frankly, I thought Maya was extremely naive for believing Brooke's story that "we thought you had already looked there".  Brooke and Robbie had just found their clue, Maya point blank asked them if it was there, and Brooke said no.  How could she possibly have thought Maya had already looked there?  That wasn't what Maya had even asked.

I can totally see a reason why someone would lie. But with the wrestlers it seems go completely against what they were saying in the voice over, at the exact same time, about how they are going to run their own race and they aren't afraid of anyone.

Granted, they are only 37 (I had thought they look about 45) so it seems natural they would have young children.

I'll be honest, I'm stunned that they are 3 years younger than I am. I thought they were in their mid to late 40s as well. 

And though I don't want to dig up stuff from last week: if Bethany were to face a RB task that depends upon two arms to complete, and either got eliminated or needed to take a four-hour penalty, it would be painful television and make TPTB look terrible. I can accept there's a wall between leg design and casting, while also believing that "not wanting to look terrible" might be a reason for TPTB to breach it.

My understanding from reading things Luke Adams has said about the design of the race is that TPTB on the casting side told him that there would be no special consideration given to him on the basis of his disability but that the race designers, due to the wall that exists between race design and casting do design at least 50% of roadblocks and at least one side of each detour in such a way that it is possible for a person with the kinds of disability likely to be cast to do the tasks. However if you interpret the cryptic clue on the roadblock incorrectly and choose to a roadblock you can't physically do, it is your bad and you can take a penalty.

I would like to believe that if it were a RB that would truly cause injury to a racer with a disability that they would do like they did Big Easy and just say so in the clue that the other racer has to do it. If I remember correctly, the two Big Easy had to sit out were due to his size making it unsafe. (One was hang gliding, I remember that). So far I've seen Bethany do some pretty surprising things one handed. I think she'd figure out a way to manage a Road Block that was designed with 2 armed people in mind. 

• Love 2

Racers should be fined every time they tell a cabbie or any other minimum wage worker - Hurry I'm in a race for a million dollars!!  If I was the cabbie I would be letting off the gas and stopping at every red light  - stopping at the green ones too, perhaps forgetting how to use my gas peddle.  I would forget the most famous attractions in my city or how to get to them, take a 10 mile detour....  Shut up about the race for a million already!!  

Just when I think the Dentists aren't THAT bad they open their mouths - either bragging or thanking god- gah go away!!

Brooke's compaining about everything is pretty annoying,  but I do love her expressive looks.

Bethany got less of a Super Bethany edit tonight - i resepect someone that knows their weakness and takes a step back and allows the other person to complete the task.  I think she and Adam work well together. 

• Love 3

Racers should be fined every time they tell a cabbie or any other minimum wage worker - Hurry I'm in a race for a million dollars!!  If I was the cabbie I would be letting off the gas and stopping at every red light  - stopping at the green ones too, perhaps forgetting how to use my gas peddle.  I would forget the most famous attractions in my city or how to get to them, take a 10 mile detour....  Shut up about the race for a million already!!  

Just when I think the Dentists aren't THAT bad they open their mouths - either bragging or thanking god- gah go away!!

Brooke's compaining about everything is pretty annoying,  but I do love her expressive looks.

Bethany got less of a Super Bethany edit tonight - i resepect someone that knows their weakness and takes a step back and allows the other person to complete the task.  I think she and Adam work well together.

I totally agree about telling the cab drivers, "Drive fast!  We're in a race for a millions dollars!"  If I were the cabbie, I'd reply, "Really?  Do I get half and the 2 or you share the other half, or do we each get a third?"  I wouldn't mind seeing a rule against telling anybody you are in a race, though it might be hard to enforce. 

Disagree about Jim and Misti.  Jim was bragging a little in the talking head, but I think that is just his way of getting motivated and thinking positive.  Misti saying, "Thank you, Jesus" when the found out about the HOO bunching was no big deal and fine with me.

I agree about Brooke.  She and Robbie are my least favorite remaining team, but I actually find all of her complaining (while she does pretty well at the tasks despite it) sort of amusing in an unintentionally funny way.

Agree that Bethany was smart to let Adam do most of the assembly task. Acknowledging the strengths and weaknesses of you and your teammate is helpful. 

• Love 1

Regarding Jim's calm demeanor:

That may have been the case but, remember... the show is heavily edited.  They show us what they want to show us, and leave out what they want to, as well.  How do we know that he didn't say to Misti, "Honey, you didn't notice that either?"

If that is the case then how do we know Brooke didn't calm down for a moment and say, "Look Robbie, isn't Manila the most lovely place on earth you've ever seen?"

Do some well-liked Racers get good edits?  Sure.  If the overwhelming majority of stuff they do is positive they may catch a break from the editors.  But it is the overwhelming stuff that gives them a slight pass from not being perfect.  The Dentists haven't been given a "lovable underdog edit" (Scientists) or a "look they are so nice and awesome" edit (Surfers).  They -- especially Jim -- have gotten a "top dog, very intense and competitive, pedal to the metal race team" edit because that is what they gave the editors to work with.  So any competitive comment or upset about some failure would more likely, not less likely, be included.

About Racers telling cabbies to drive fast cause they are in a Race.  The thing is they have to convey to the cabbie that speed is essential and have to explain why.  So I'm fine with them saying something like that instead of just sitting in the back screaming at a bewildered cabbie to keep driving faster for no apparent reason. 

You need to make the cabbie feel part of a big TV show race and give him a spotlight and a few seconds of fame as part of your team.  Not flaunt the prize money in his face.  It's a tightrope walk to pull off sometimes.  It can be done and many Racers do ask the cabbie what his name is and try to showcase him to the camera team to help get him on their side/team.  Those are good moves as well as good behavior.  Adding in the million dollars as prize money is piling on however and can backfire. 

And has.  See Season 2 (my favorite ever) at the Oakland airport the last lag where Tara & Wil try to jump a taxi line outside the terminal and the taxi line "cop", when told how it was about a million dollars, replied "I'm not getting any of it" and made them wait longer for their taxi.  Given it was the closest finish in all 25 seasons of the Race that "million dollars" line may have cost them a million dollars.

Edited by GenL
  • Love 9

Why does everyone keep saying "Oh just wait until Jim blows up."   

Because he's really intense and competitive, and he appears to be 'roided up beyond belief.  These two things go along with random blow ups in most people's minds. 

While I didnt love Bethany's comment about the car building being a boy task, she gets a lot of slack because 1) this is the first time she has said something like this, 2) its in reference to building an actual car part not a toy car, 3) She doesn't flirt for advantage at every opportunity, and 4) She didnt beg off the task, she simply let Adam take the lead.  

She also gets slack on the water issue because 1) the water is totally unsanitary around most 3rd world cities, 2) she wasnt shown harping on the grossness, she simply explained that they opted against the water task because they didnt want to interact with the water (which probably surprised people because of their water comfort level) and 3)they easily could have read about swimming in the Philippines in a guidebook on their way over. 

I am worried about Brooke and Robbies health after cutting their hands on the fish and then getting back in the filthy water and then in rice paddies.  

• Love 2

Because he's really intense and competitive, and he appears to be 'roided up beyond belief.  These two things go along with random blow ups in most people's minds.  

See I never get this. I actually don't mind Jim and Misti. Assuming he is on steroids and about to rage because he is big to me is like assuming that Bethany is an airhead because she is young and blonde. Plus if anyone were to have a roid rage, it would be a pro wrestler, and Robbie seems like a fairly mellow guy.

While I didnt love Bethany's comment about the car building being a boy task, she gets a lot of slack because 1) this is the first time she has said something like this, 2) its in reference to building an actual car part not a toy car, 3) She doesn't flirt for advantage at every opportunity, and 4) She didnt beg off the task, she simply let Adam take the lead.

It didn't really bother me. Mostly because the way she worded it was that it wasn't really a task for her, and more something that her husband would be better at doing. It is not like she said that this was a task that women would be terrible at and something that all men would be better at that, or anything close to those lines. 

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 7

The thing is they have to convey to the cabbie that speed is essential and have to explain why.  So I'm fine with them saying something like that instead of just sitting in the back screaming at a bewildered cabbie to keep driving faster for no apparent reason. 

You need to make the cabbie feel part of a big TV show race and give him a spotlight and a few seconds of fame as part of your team.  Not flaunt the prize money in his face.  It's a tightrope walk to pull off sometimes.  It can be done and many Racers do ask the cabbie what his name is and try to showcase him to the camera team to help get him on their side/team.  Those are good moves as well as good behavior.  Adding in the million dollars as prize money is piling on however and can backfire. 

And has.  See Season 2 (my favorite ever) at the Oakland airport the last lag where Tara & Wil try to jump a taxi line outside the terminal and the taxi line "cop", when told how it was about a million dollars, replied "I'm not getting any of it" and made them wait longer for their taxi.  Given it was the closest finish in all 25 seasons of the Race that "million dollars" line may have cost them a million dollars.

Considering the cabbies all sign releases saying they agree to appear on the show, and they all see the cameraman/soundman right there, I think it's kind of silly to explain what's going on in a lot of detail.  And I'm tired of hearing it and I agree the cabbies probably all feel like, "So, what's in it for me?  An extra $20?  Because if I crash my cab on camera, I probably lose my job."  

Really liking the scientists.   I kinda hope they win now.  HUGE difference in how Phil says "candy girls" and how Brooke says it.   As my wise old father says "consider the source."

I guess I missed the part as how the scientists got the name "candy girls".

• Love 2

Everyone on the show acts like they make candy.  They are PhD students in Food Science at Madison.  Essentially, they are analytical chemists.  Per the CBS website, one of them does research on ice cream.  The other does research on sugar free sweeteners in candy.  I guess one of them could be a "Candy Girl" but the other one isn't.  It's Brooke and Robbie that seem to have started the "Candy Girls" name that even Phil has now picked up on.  But I imagine Brooke and Robbie wouldn't have started calling them that if they hadn't to some extent self-described themselves that way.

• Love 2

I am worried about Brooke and Robbies health after cutting their hands on the fish and then getting back in the filthy water and then in rice paddies.  

The fisher folk seem to do it every day without dropping like flies.  Dirt harbors germs, but it isn't immediately lethal.  I wouldn't suggest making yourself a sandwich with those unwashed hands, but dunking yourself in the dirty bay and then slogging around in a rice paddy full of ox-shit is likely to be more unpleasant than dangerous. 

I come from the "third world" so I am no stranger to dirt, filthyy water, and even pickney playing in the road, for that matter.  People survived for the most part.  Thankfully, these things are memories from my youth, moreso than everyday occurrences today.  The Careenage in Bridgetown is a whole lot better than it used to be, but I distinctly remember it so bad I wouldn't have swam in it for anything.  But little kids were constantly diving in  to retrieve coins thrown by tourists.  Frankly, I still wouldn't dip a toe in it today, unless I had to.

If Brooke stood next to me and said "Yeeeeech!  It stinks to high heaven!  How vile!" the only reaction she'd have gotten from me is total agreement.  (Brooke is still an ass, though.)

• Love 3

I noticed a great sign in the previews, and really hope it is part of task or clue.  The tag is not hiding any plot detail, just the bank name on the sign: 

PhilTrust

• Love 2

I noticed a great sign in the previews, and really hope it is part of task or clue.  The tag is not hiding any plot detail, just the bank name on the sign: 

PhilTrust

No surprise, considering the location! (lol)

Considering the cabbies all sign releases saying they agree to appear on the show, and they all see the cameraman/soundman right there, I think it's kind of silly to explain what's going on in a lot of detail.  And I'm tired of hearing it and I agree the cabbies probably all feel like, "So, what's in it for me?  An extra $20?  Because if I crash my cab on camera, I probably lose my job."  

I don't think they are explaining what is happening in much detail at all.  They are saying they are in a race so they need to go fast.  And the fact that the cabbies see two guys getting into the cab with a camera and a boon mic almost means they have to explain it to the cabbies.

Also the cabbies don't have to sign the release right off the bat so the explanation for the need for speed is still valid.  The camera guy can shoot all the footage he wants of the cabbie.  They just can't broadcast his image unless he signs the release which is probably explained during the drive and signed during some red light or at the end of the ride.

I re-watched several early legs of Season 1 couple of weeks back and when the taxi stealing teachers are leaving their cab to run to the Arc de Triomphe pit stop mat you first see the blonde haired one arguing over change.  Then you see her walking after the cabbie in what I thought originally back in the day was a continued discussion of the cab fare. 

But this time I noticed she had a single sheet of paper in her hand and was saying something like "Wait!  Wait! You have to sign this paper."  So she was actually trying to get the cabbie to sign the release after the ride was over.  The guy was dismissive with his back to her and just waved her away.  As a result his head was pixelalated the whole time since he obviously didn't change his mind and sign the release later.  These days the editing isn't going to break the fourth wall like that anymore but my guess is you get a cabbie to sign the release after you tell/ask/yell at the driver to drive fast and quickly explain the reason.

As for what is in it for the cabbie?  Are you kidding.  To be on a big time American TV show that is seen in numerous countries around the world as well including many if not most the Race goes too?  And getting all fired up and feeling the adrenaline flowing as you get involved in the competition yourself?  How is that not an exciting day at the office for any cab driver?  Imagine him telling his family and his friends about his day at work.  Most people would love to have something magically like that happen to them.  And an extra $20 American goes a long way in some countries.

I just agree like I said above that yelling at winning a million dollars is bad form.  But the rest is fine with me.

Edited by green
  • Love 3

green, are you Misty or Jim or closely related to them? I ask because you defend them so ferociously and seem to know what was going on in their minds at all times as if you were there or watched the show with them while they told you what they were thinking.

The Dentists haven't been given a "lovable underdog edit" (Scientists) or a "look they are so nice and awesome" edit (Surfers).  They -- especially Jim -- have gotten a "top dog, very intense and competitive, pedal to the metal race team" edit because that is what they gave the editors to work with.  So any competitive comment or upset about some failure would more likely, not less likely, be included

Green is not in the heads of the Dentists, but is accurately describing the edit the Dentists have been getting.  I agree that if Jim had any kind of a temper tantrum, it would be good television, so would have been aired.  As would a tantrum by any of the Racers, no matter what kind  of sweetheart edit they might be getting.

• Love 10

After finally getting to see this episode I was disappointed.  How could a repeat of the infamous "my ox is broken!" challenge be so boring?  And of course we knew it was going to be a NEL so... point?  I guess the closeness of the teams racing to the mat could have been thrilling, had we not known NEL.  Anyway, good on Jim and Misti for winning the leg.

I understood Misti's concerns about the children.  It would have bothered me a lot too to see toddlers playing so close to the traffic.

No way would the producers miss an opportunity to show any racer having a meltdown.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

As for what is in it for the cabbie?  Are you kidding.  To be on a big time American TV show that is seen in numerous countries around the world as well including many if not most the Race goes too?  And getting all fired up and feeling the adrenaline flowing as you get involved in the competition yourself?  How is that not an exciting day at the office for any cab driver?  Imagine him telling his family and his friends about his day at work.  Most people would love to have something magically like that happen to them.  And an extra $20 American goes a long way in some countries.

I just agree like I said above that yelling at winning a million dollars is bad form.  But the rest is fine with me.

Do cabbies in Manila get The Amazing Race on tv?  Do they have tvs?  

Of course an extra $20 goes a long way.  That was my point.  They should shut up about THEIR incentive and incentivize the driver.  

I am really enjoying this season.

Like many, I was waiting to see when Jim would fall apart at the beginning of the season. The hyper competitive, intense, bulging eyes things had me convinced there would be lots of yelling and temper tantrums. About half way into the race I realized that was not going to happen. Misti and Jim have been polite to everyone and treated each other with respect. They are focused and get things done. I have no problem with them. If the main complaint that we have from them all season is that Jim made a comment about something being as tight as a fat persons gym sock then I think they have done pretty darn well.

I am less offended by that then I am Bethany's comment about putting a car together being a mans thing. I don't care that much about that statement either because I get the feeling it was tongue in check and that Adam likes working on cars. Bethany has demonstrated that she is more then capable and not exactly a push over. There was not much she could do in the side car task because she has one arm and that limits what she could do. And it really did look like Adam was having a blast. As a surfer, I suspect that she knows more about water quality then most of us do so I am not surprised she made that comment. Given that the wate ris highly polluted, I am not offended.

Maya and Amy are great. They keep chugging along and doing pretty well. They have great attitudes. I would love to see them win.

Brooke and Robbie are asses and can leave my screen at any time.

As for the overall comments about the Philippines regarding children, water, and stench, I have no problem with most of what was said. Most of the comments appeared heart felt, Misti, or true, Bethany. The Wrestlers were the only ones I find offensive because of the manner that they make the comments, their repetition, and the way that they treat people. I love that Maya and Amy beat them in a foot race. Yes, people live like that around the world. Yes, people use nasty, polluted water on a regular basis. Yes, fish that people eat that fish comes out of that water. That doesn't make it any more sad to think that there are kids who are poorly dressed and cared for sitting in the street. That doesn't mean that it sucks that people are exposed to the pollutants in the water. It is not necessarily paternalistic or ugly to point those things out. One of the things I learned in my travels is how much I appreciate the US and all that I have been blessed to have by being born into the family that I was. And that was travelling through Eastern Europe before the Berlin Wall came down, never mind a third world country. It would be nice if the Racers maybe did something to help those in needs, and for all we know they have through donations or something to an appropriate organization. But the comments that were made, sans the Wrestlers who were dismissive and pretty awful, were more sympathetic and appreciative for what the Racers have and not awful, jingoistic crap. 

• Love 7

You need to make the cabbie feel part of a big TV show race... It can be done 

... See Season 2 (my favorite ever) at the Oakland airport the last lag where Tara & Wil try to jump a taxi line outside the terminal and the taxi line "cop", when told how it was about a million dollars, replied "I'm not getting any of it" and made them wait longer for their taxi.  Given it was the closest finish in all 25 seasons of the Race that "million dollars" line may have cost them a million dollars.

One of the best urgings of a cabbie was in Season 2, courtesy of Danny and Oswald. I think they were leaving Sydney heading for the airport, and I think it was Oswald who said to the cabbie as they got in, "Speed is of the essence, sir."

And yes, the taxi-stand monitor in Oakland is one of my favorite non-racer personages in any season. "I don't care, I'm not gettin' any of it" is something that's just waiting to be said to these racers who wave their million dollars in service people's faces as if they should care. As Miss Alli said in her recap, that right there is where Wil & Tara lost the race.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 2

I am less offended by that then I am Bethany's comment about putting a car together being a mans thing. I don't care that much about that statement either because I get the feeling it was tongue in check and that Adam likes working on cars.

It appears Bethany legitimately doesn't know much about working on cars, whereas Adam does.  She having one arm may contribute more to this than her gender -- it can be heavy, unwieldy work.  Right after making a minor mistake by tightening something prematurely and having to slacken it off again, she commented "I guess you could call me a... a girl, and I figured just let the guys do it."  But prior to this, I guess as an admission, she says "Just direct me... what you want me to do.  'Cause you're going to be the head honcho."  So, she shows willing to do what ever she can, while firmly placing Adam in charge.  I can't say her comments smack too much of political incorrectness to me!  Also, later in the construction when Adam is involved with some more difficult part of the assembly, she decides to attach some of the fairings on her own, to speed the build.  She may have admitted to Adam's superior ability, but she is no shrinking violet, unable to contribute!  (In contrast, I once had a girlfriend who, when we got a flat tire, insisted on sitting in the car while I jacked it up to change the wheel!)

During the build, Bethany also said "We did not want to go anywhere near Philippine water.  The water here looks really gross."  This was spoken to Adam and the camera, not shouted out repeatedly in the hearing of Filipinos.  And even if she had said that in the same matter-of-fact way to local people, I doubt they could have been much offended. 

I don't recall hearing the "fat girl's socks" simile before.  I'm going to start using that one!

• Love 2

I didn't really have a problem with the honest comments most of the racers made about the smells/water quality, etc.  I do think it would have been nice if they included some nicer sights in Manila (never been there, but I assume there must be some).  The race design gave the impression that the whole place was a dump.

I had forgotten about Bethany's gross sexism being on display in this ep. It made me remember when I couldn't stand her earlier in the race.

I'm not sure it should be considered "gross sexism". What percentage of auto mechanics are female? A 2009 Dept of Labor survey put it at 1.8%.   I think it is great when women pursue non-traditional occupations for females, but acknowledging that some fields are male dominated is not "sexist" in my book. 

• Love 8

green, are you Misty or Jim or closely related to them? I ask because you defend them so ferociously and seem to know what was going on in their minds at all times as if you were there or watched the show with them while they told you what they were thinking.

That's kind of funny cause I've never defended them for anything other than to say Misti's comments about the kids sitting out in the middle of the streets would have been made by almost anyone on earth.  As for knowing what is going on their minds I think jjj  said it nicely for me in their comment under yours.  (Thanks, jjj). 

And no I don't know them, never met them, don't live in their area of the country and don't even like dentists in general for the reason most people don't ... the ouch factor.  My favorite team was their main rivals most of the race, the Cyclists.  Now my favorites are the Scientists.  But that doesn't mean I should dislike the Dentists for no reason whatsoever.

Do cabbies in Manila get The Amazing Race on tv?  Do they have tvs?  

Of course an extra $20 goes a long way.  That was my point.  They should shut up about THEIR incentive and incentivize the driver.  

Okay, got you about the $20 now.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Many cabbies do watch the Race I imagine since they and everyone else in Manila can and do watch The Amazing Race in large numbers it being one of the more popular shows in that country.  They also watch The Amazing Race Asia.  Now I assume the American version is still running there, been a few years but both were on each week through Asia Season 3 anyway.  But that season went all mactors on top of mactors so I lost interest in that version then and haven't kept up with the Asia race boards after that. 

But I can say the Philippines posters were among the most passionate about both versions at the time.  And regards TARA (The Amazing Race Asia's abbreviation online) they were highly nationalistic backing their teams even if they were pains to watch from my pov like Season 3's big mactor team who were beyond wildly popular there.  And both versions of the show garnered far greater ratings per percentage of population there then this show gets back in America.  I remember reading that the countries of Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore were so into the Race back then it was considered most see TV and had some of the highest ratings of any shows in those countries.  We tend to forget just how international this show is and how especially popular it is in certain areas of Asia and southern Africa.

Edited by green
  • Love 5

I didn't really have a problem with the honest comments most of the racers made about the smells/water quality, etc.  I do think it would have been nice if they included some nicer sights in Manila (never been there, but I assume there must be some).  

Manila is not much of a tourist destination.  Most tourists pass right through and head to the beautiful spots in the Philipines like Palawan and Boracay.  Lonely Planet says, "Manila’s moniker, the ‘Pearl of the Orient’, couldn’t be more apt – its cantankerous shell reveals its jewel only to those resolute enough to pry.... Skyscrapers pierce the hazy sky, mushrooming from the grinding poverty of expansive shantytowns, while gleaming malls foreshadow Manila’s brave new air-conditioned world. The congested roads snarl with traffic, but, like the overworked arteries of a sweating giant, they are what keep this modern metropolis alive." And that's lonely planet, not some ritzy travel guide not aimed at sloppy backpackers looking for adventure. 

Dirt harbors germs, but it isn't immediately lethal.  I wouldn't suggest making yourself a sandwich with those unwashed hands, but dunking yourself in the dirty bay and then slogging around in a rice paddy full of ox-shit is likely to be more unpleasant than dangerous. 

I'm not worried about lethality - just diarrhea or infected cuts.  Being exposed to bacteria everyday goes a long way to protecting yourself against its effects. There's a reason that the locals in Tijuana are able to function, while tourists who eat lettuce washed in the wrong water suffer from Monctezuma's revenge. And Diarrhea? On the Amazing Race? Well, it's not going to help you win: the dehydration in tropical climates, the extra "Pitstops", the fatigue...  

See I never get this. I actually don't mind Jim and Misti. Assuming he is on steroids and about to rage because he is big to me is like assuming that Bethany is an airhead because she is young and blonde. Plus if anyone were to have a roid rage, it would be a pro wrestler, and Robbie seems like a fairly mellow guy.

I would personally put bodybuilders in a class above pro-wrestlers for roid rage, but YMMV. Wrestlers have to be able to work with people, while body builders just have to have the muscles for show.  Plus, there's some speculation that this is the same Jim Raman (the age is about right, as is the bodybuilding connection and the spelling). If you were one of  4 people hospitalized mixing home brew steroids, I think that there is a big difference between assuming you might be roid-rage-y than assuming Bethany is dumb because she's cute and blond. 

• Love 1

If they thought Bethany's failure to complete any task would make them (TPTB) look bad, wouldn't it be so much simpler to simply not have Bethany on the race?  That would be so much easier and professionally safer than trying to secretly fix the race in her favour and spend the rest of their lives hoping the secret never got out.

That's completely reasonable, and so is your follow-up and those of others. It doesn't account for why there have there been three fewer Road Blocks by the end of leg 10, and why a couple of tasks have felt like RBs converted to entire-team tasks. And it feels like there needs to be some explanation for the short count other than TPTB thinking "meh, let's leave out a few Road Blocks this time round."

It doesn't account for why there have there been three fewer Road Blocks by the end of leg 10, and why a couple of tasks have felt like RBs converted to entire-team tasks.

Assuming that roadblocks were indeed converted and/or eliminated, I think it is a leap to assume this is a sign of TPTB fixing the race on Bethany's behalf.  I can't see why TPTB would need to fix the race on anybody's behalf, because I don't see why TPTB would care who wins.

• Love 4

I don't think it's something that needs explaining, or even a thing really. They fiddle with race design all the time. Certain features of design can seem indelible, until the next year they're changed. 

• Love 4