Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, zoomama said:

first time, no immediate pain at all. shots usually dont bother me. 

Glad you had a good trip!!  I’m on the trip of a lifetime - maybe I said this already??  We’re headed to CA by the southern route, coming back through the north.  It’s a nine week trip unless I don’t make it back for my grandsons graduation.  I mean if I’m incapacitated or in jail... in which case I can just keep going indefinitely.  Nine weeks, nine years:  all the same.
we are THIS MINUTE driving over the corner of Ponchartrain into NOLA.  
I totally meant to be talking about the shot.  I felt absolutely NOTHING when I got stuck.  Seriously nada.  I wasn’t sure she’d even done it yet (because you know me: I was deep into a discussion about how she came to be there...).  No pain, nothing.  It was sore last night, like I’d lifted something heavy but I’m fine now.  The Fauci Ouchy.  Hahaha!!  

• Love 10

I treated us to a Big Mac today.  I don't do much fast food but boy was that good.

I also had an Iced DeCaf Coffee with Hazelnut!  Yummy.

Starting to feel alive again after our 'Winter Of Discontent "!

• Love 7

I'm about 32 hours post my second Fauci Ouchy. Lets just say I'm glad there's not a third. Not to scare anyone off of getting vaxxed, but this one has been rough. Yesterday we did some errands after the shots and by the time we arrived home I was overwhelmed with exhaustion, then the achiness began - weirdly enough it started at my ankles, then the headache came. I gave in today at the 26 hour mark and took ibuprofen. I suspect I'll wake up tomorrow feeling fine.  

Yay for my immune response. Boo for how shitty it feels.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Jeanne222, sometimes it's good to splurge on fast food, especially when it lifts your mood! I will just crave McDonald's french fries every once in a while and hit the drive thru. I know it's absolute crap and has no health benefits, but I just need those fries.

GeeGolly, I had a similar reaction to the second shot. I'd do it again in a heartbeat to avoid getting Covid, but it was rough.

Jynnan Tonnix, that is so exciting! Good thoughts that her pregnancy is smooth and uneventful. 

• Love 10

@GeeGolly I was wondering how you were doing after the second shot. My great-aunt also said after her second shot was pretty rough. Hope you're feeling better in the morning! My grandparents are getting their second dose on Tuesday, and we're making plans for my brother and I to take care of their animals (chickens, ducks, geese, and dogs) if they're not feeling up to it for a couple of days afterward.  

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm about 32 hours post my second Fauci Ouchy. Lets just say I'm glad there's not a third. Not to scare anyone off of getting vaxxed, but this one has been rough. Yesterday we did some errands after the shots and by the time we arrived home I was overwhelmed with exhaustion, then the achiness began - weirdly enough it started at my ankles, then the headache came. I gave in today at the 26 hour mark and took ibuprofen. I suspect I'll wake up tomorrow feeling fine.  

Yay for my immune response. Boo for how shitty it feels.

Wow, can I relate...after my first Pfizer vaccine, I felt rough, exhausted and achy. Received the second vaccine Thursday afternoon, by 10pm had muscle aches mostly in legs and then joint pain in elbows, wrists, knees and a headache. By midnight, I had the worst chills I ever remember having. Turned electric blanket on highest setting and layered clothing and was awake all night. On Friday, I was so fatigued, I did nothing. Today chilling is gone, muscle aches much improved, still a bit tired. Like you, I am glad there isn't a third dose, I honestly don't know if I would get it or not. 

When my neighbor lady, who is more than 20 years older than me, said she had no side effects from either dose, I felt like a wimp.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, whydoiwatch said:

Wow, can I relate...after my first Pfizer vaccine, I felt rough, exhausted and achy. Received the second vaccine Thursday afternoon, by 10pm had muscle aches mostly in legs and then joint pain in elbows, wrists, knees and a headache. By midnight, I had the worst chills I ever remember having. Turned electric blanket on highest setting and layered clothing and was awake all night. On Friday, I was so fatigued, I did nothing. Today chilling is gone, muscle aches much improved, still a bit tired. Like you, I am glad there isn't a third dose, I honestly don't know if I would get it or not. 

When my neighbor lady, who is more than 20 years older than me, said she had no side effects from either dose, I felt like a wimp.

I've actually read that younger people are more likely to have more side effects because they have stronger immune systems, so don't beat yourself up about it! 

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
17 minutes ago, whydoiwatch said:

13 minutes ago, Zella said:

I've actually read that younger people are more likely to have more side effects because they have stronger immune systems, so don't beat yourself up about it! 

My first shot was no picnic either, but the second shot - yikes.

My husband, who is over a decade older than me, had a sore arm with the first and only some short lived tiredness yesterday. Today he's fine.

• Love 11

It's hard, but be happy about side effects.  It shows you're having an immune response.  Also it's reported that people who have a stronger reaction to the first dose rather than the second, may mean the person has had COVID.

• Useful 7
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My first shot was no picnic either, but the second shot - yikes.

My husband, who is over a decade older than me, had a sore arm with the first and only some short lived tiredness yesterday. Today he's fine.

It was interesting to compare notes with my coworkers who got the shot on our first doses. I had very light fatigue and aches, but my arm pain really shocked me. I couldn't even lift a glass with the arm where I got my shot. But about 46 hours after getting the shot, the pain ended, and I was fine. My boss who is about 20 years older than me told me her pain symptom was also arm pain. My other coworkers who got it are all a few years younger than me (and one had COVID last year), and they all complained way more of fatigue. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Zella said:

It was interesting to compare notes with my coworkers who got the shot on our first doses. I had very light fatigue and aches, but my arm pain really shocked me. I couldn't even lift a glass with the arm where I got my shot. But about 46 hours after getting the shot, the pain ended, and I was fine. My boss who is about 20 years older than me told me her pain symptom was also arm pain. My other coworkers who got it are all a few years younger than me (and one had COVID last year), and they all complained way more of fatigue. 

My 85-year old mom had severe arm pain after her 2nd dose. She was almost in tears during the middle of the night she was in so much pain.

5 minutes ago, Zella said:

I suspect I may have had covid last April - I'm really not sure, but I did have a first shot response. My arm soreness, with both shots was similar too, and maybe even less than, a flu shot. The fatigue yesterday was unreal. I had the shot around noon and by 3 pm I went from feeling fine to feeling the heaviest, most overwhelming fatigue, like 0 to 100. The achiness and headache was more gradual. I consider myself as having a high tolerance to pain and discomfort and still this is no fun. I'm in my late 50s, BTW.

• Useful 1
53 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It's hard, but be happy about side effects.  It shows you're having an immune response.  Also it's reported that people who have a stronger reaction to the first dose rather than the second, may mean the person has had COVID.

I think I may have mentioned it before, but my dermatologist is friends with an infectious disease doctor and he says the reaction you have to the Covid vaccine is indicative of how getting Covid would be for you. Who knows if this is true or not, they are still learning so much about it, but it seems accurate to me given how randomly Covid seems to affect people. I made it through my awful 24 hours after the second dose by reminding myself over and over that my immune system was doing what it was supposed to. But, damn, it was not fun.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I think I may have mentioned it before, but my dermatologist is friends with an infectious disease doctor and he says the reaction you have to the Covid vaccine is indicative of how getting Covid would be for you. Who knows if this is true or not, they are still learning so much about it, but it seems accurate to me given how randomly Covid seems to affect people. I made it through my awful 24 hours after the second dose by reminding myself over and over that my immune system was doing what it was supposed to. But, damn, it was not fun.

As in stronger vaccine reaction equaling having a milder case or stronger vaccine reaction probably correlating with a more severe case?

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I assumed the latter. 

See, I'd assumed the former based on what I'd read (about younger people being more likely to have vaccine side effects due to having a stronger immune system), but now I am second-guessing myself. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I probably shouldn't even be saying anything yet, but could everyone keep their fingers crossed for my daughter? She is pregnant again after her miscarriage a little over a year ago. Just really hoping all goes well this time around!!

Great news! Best wishes for your daughter for sure.  

Can those who had a lot of pain, muscle aches, fatigue, etc. after their second shot post which vaccine they got?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Great news! Best wishes for your daughter for sure.  

Can those who had a lot of pain, muscle aches, fatigue, etc. after their second shot post which vaccine they got?

Pfizer

• Love 5

With regard to the vaccine side effects, a 31 year old coworker had both shots of the Pfizer vaccine and had zero problems or side effects except a sore arm. A 35 year old coworker has had his first shot of Moderna and he's fine except for a sore arm. His 34 year old wife had her second Moderna and was down for about 24 hours after.  A friend of ours who is 67 got the Moderna one, and had zero side effects except for the sore arm.  His 55 year old wife just got her first Pfizer one yesterday and just had a sore arm today. As for my 39 year old self, I had zero side effects after both my doses of Pfizer except for a sore arm. My 41 year old husband had the Pfizer one and he felt a little sick the second day, but was able to go to work just fine. It's so odd why some people have bad reactions (or more severe ones) and some don't have any. 

Edited by QuinnInND
Because proper punctuation makes it easier to read.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

@SunnyBeBe,  my husband and I, and most of our friends, have had two Covid shots, some Moderna, some Pfizer. Most of us who had reactions had them on the second day after the second shot. They ranged from sore arms, heavy tiredness, headache, other aches, or chills.....no matter which shot we  received. We all felt better by the third day. The ages range from 50’s to 85.

If you get to Long Beach, CA @Happyfatchick, let me know! Meanwhile, have a great graduation celebration and a fabulous trip!

So happy for your daughter, @Jynnan tonnix. My fingers and toes are definitely crossed.

• Love 6

All of the people I know had Moderna. 

Mama and Papa Temperance had the Moderna. They had arm soreness after the first shot and Papa Temperance had a small fever. They were sick the day after the second shot. Papa Temperance had a fever, but he was fine at the end of the day. Aunt and Uncle Temperance also had a fever for one day. Godfather Temperance had no side effects. 

@GeeGolly I hope you feel better. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Absolom said:

I’m not a doctor, but I have read this theory (from doctors) and it’s the one I’m leaning towards for some cases.  My MiL had a major reaction to dose 1 of Moderna. She also worked as a NP in group care facilities throughout the pandemic. Early on they were reusing masks. She could have gotten ill and 1) not noticed (she has the innate toughness of a career nurse), 2) not told us, 3) assumed it was something else.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Both Ozziedad and I had Moderna and are 65ish. No side effects from first shot except sore arm. Severe fatigue day after second shot, but that’s it.

Congrats to @Jynnan tonnix daughter and family, hope all goes well.

In other news, I got my Hey Dude shoes and they are adorable! Very comfortable too.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I probably shouldn't even be saying anything yet, but could everyone keep their fingers crossed for my daughter? She is pregnant again after her miscarriage a little over a year ago. Just really hoping all goes well this time around!!

Prayers for an uneventful pregnancy., 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I had the Pfizer vaccine and boy did that second shot knock me for a loop.  No arm pain, but muscle aches, fatigue, headache, and vomiting. That lasted 6 hours, then I took a 2 hour nap and was back to normal after that.  With the first shot I had arm pain a little worse than a flu shot.  I am 65.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

I am 68 and had the Moderna vaccine.  With the first shot my arm was sore several days but nothing too bad. With the second shot, I ran low grade fever, had chills and felt generally yucky. Oh, and I had a headache. It hit about 24 hours after the shot and lasted about 12 hours and then I was fine. My husband's experience was similar except he had some stomach distress instead of the headache. 

• Love 7
On 3/19/2021 at 9:34 PM, QuinnInND said:

Still on the fence about contacting my sister. If I do it, I figure on the weekend would probably be better to do it. So, like last weekend, I'm playing should I or shouldn't I. *sigh* The "What the fuck, do it" part of me is fighting with the "Nope, don't want to do that" part.

If I may make a suggestion? If you decide you do not want further contact with your sister send her a letter ( with no return address) saying that you love her, still have the teddy bear, but you do not wish to have any contact with them for reasons that do not  include her. You do not owe them an explanation but I think she would like knowing you love HER.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Zella said:

As in stronger vaccine reaction equaling having a milder case or stronger vaccine reaction probably correlating with a more severe case?

The latter, stronger reaction to the vaccine meant worse symptoms with covid (or what emmawoodhouse said). But of course, he said it's just a working theory since they are learning new things about it every day. 

I got the Pfizer vaccine. I'm so proud of my little vaccine card, I carry it around in my wallet and have a picture of it in my phone like it's my child, lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

If I may make a suggestion? If you decide you do not want further contact with your sister send her a letter ( with no return address) saying that you love her, still have the teddy bear, but you do not wish to have any contact with them for reasons that do not  include her. You do not owe them an explanation but I think she would like knowing you love HER.

That's a good idea. The letter would still have a DC postmark on it though. 🤔😕 

• Love 7

Thanks to everyone for sharing your vaccine experiences.  I received my first shot on Wednesday, Pfizer.  My arm was sore almost immediately and for about 36 hours.  I also developed a knot at the injection site, which has started to go down in size and doesn't hurt.

It's good to read about everyone's 2nd-shot experience.  It helps me to anticipate the effects, rather than fearing the unknown.

• Love 11
30 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

That's a good idea. The letter would still have a DC postmark on it though. 🤔😕 

Perhaps you could tuck the letter inside an envelope, mail it to a trusted friend in another location and have them mail it so the postmark would be from their area.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, whydoiwatch said:

Perhaps you could tuck the letter inside an envelope, mail it to a trusted friend in another location and have them mail it so the postmark would be from their area.

That's a good idea, but nobody knows about any of this, and I really don't want to have to explain wtf is with this envelope, and who's this. My sister in law would mail it, but then she'd know a name. I really don't want anyone else to know any of this in any way. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

That's a good idea, but nobody knows about any of this, and I really don't want to have to explain wtf is with this envelope, and who's this. My sister in law would mail it, but then she'd know a name. I really don't want anyone else to know any of this in any way. 

I’d be happy to do it for you. 

• Love 9

You could mail it to one of us here, maybe. If you trust anyone enough. I mean, I do recognize that we are all strangers in a way, even though we use this forum to spill guys that sometimes our own families are unaware of. Just throwing the suggestion out there.

(Looks like @Mindthinkr and I had the same thought).

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 10

Just because I can and because I love my still fairly new views and because Jilly R thinks that overlooking some Poundshop is a great view.......here's on of my windows. If you care to zoom in, you can make out the Alps in the background.

I also have a view over actual fields.

I'd love some of your views, if you care to share!

Picture1.jpg

• Love 22
4 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

If you do send a letter, just remember that there will be a post mark on it showing your location.

OOPS.  Late to the posting party.

Edited by CalicoKitty
more info added
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, MunichNark said:

Just because I can and because I love my still fairly new views and because Jilly R thinks that overlooking some Poundshop is a great view.......here's on of my windows. If you care to zoom in, you can make out the Alps in the background.

Picture1.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg.01063e814670f65801f22733f497b9ef.jpgMy view from my patio.  It is a beautiful, sunny (cold) morning.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

You could mail it to one of us here, maybe. If you trust anyone enough. I mean, I do recognize that we are all strangers in a way, even though we use this forum to spill guys that sometimes our own families are unaware of. Just throwing the suggestion out there.

(Looks like @Mindthinkr and I had the same thought).

I was going to say the same thing, @QuinnInND. We are all over the world. Any one of us would gladly do it for you.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, MunichNark said:

Picture1.jpg

Beautiful.  Thanks for sharing!

I got my second Moderna shot Thursday morning.  With the first one I had only a sore arm for about three days.  With the second, I was running a low grade fever and chilling by late Thursday and wanted to take a sick day Friday.  I was chilling badly and was very fatigued Friday.  I work from home and planned to take care of one important task and go back to bed.  I ran into a problem with something that really needed to be submitted and adrenaline propelled me through the day as I worked on a solution.  Once the problem was fixed, I crashed.  Still tired and running a fever on Saturday and gradually felt better.

Something I don't remember being discussed here is taking pain reliever before the vaccination.  I take a time release acetaminophen for arthritis daily and stopped it a couple of day before and after.  From what I found on multiple sites, it can reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine.

13 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

IMG_0414.jpg.01063e814670f65801f22733f497b9ef.jpgMy view from my patio.  It is a beautiful, sunny (cold) morning.

Stunning!  Thanks!

• Love 7

So glad you are feeling better, @GeeGolly. That is good news.

Yes, @Suzn good idea to advise everyone not to take any Tylenol. Motrin, etc, the day before or day of Covid inoculation unless it is absolutely necessary. It might reduce the effectiveness. I did give us Tylenol before the first shot, thinking that was so smart to prevent sore arms later, and then my daughter told us what she read. So, for our second shot we did not take anything the day before or day of our “jab.” (Love the English word for “shot.”)

Your views are beautiful, @MunichNark and @CalicoKitty. We don’t have a pretty view at all from our front or back windows, just other houses, but we are only half a block away from a cute shopping area with restaurants and shops. And about five blocks away is a little bay inlet from the Pacific Ocean and just a little further is a real ocean beach. We love it here. 

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 12

Save for a cousin-in-law who is a physician, my mom is the only person I know personally that has had both doses.  She had the Moderna and was fine with her first one.  She had the slightest ache in her arm but said it was like she lifted something too heavy.  Her second one was a bit rougher.  Her appointment was for 1100am on a Friday, and by 100am Saturday morning, she had the worst chills she ever had in her life (she just turned 68).  It lasted about 24 hours, and she was good to go.  I'm not too concerned about the first one, but the second one is already scaring me.  I take a prescription med for chronic/intractable pain, and it contains acetaminophen.  It feels like I'm screwing myself before I even try.  Mr. Six has signed up through the Maryland's website, which would give him an appointment at one of the mass sites.  He has the letter from his company, so now we just need to track an appointment down (he qualifies as category 1C because of his job).  We decided it was best for us to get it at different times so we're both not down for the count at the same time.  I'm worried about having an emergency with one of the cats, and one of us needs to be able to function.  My pre-existing conditions don't qualify me for early access, so I'm looking at April 27th at a minimum, per our governor.  

The mountain photos are absolutely stunning!  We live in a townhouse development in the suburbs, so I just have a view of houses out front and more houses out back.  We do have a 4-month-old fence, but that's about as good as it gets.

• Love 9

A1C45533-9AE8-4C52-9E7B-0782C1EAFF60.thumb.jpeg.3e3ac1ffde3b2b187db0adaa0d5e3d48.jpeg

This was the view from the place that I sold 3 years ago. Actually it’s not even a good view, but the best pic I could get without the hassle of resizing. It was from my bedroom porch in the morning. 

• Love 15

We had two shots of Pfizer and had no problems at all.  In fact I drove through a raging snow storm to get our second dose.   I'm 81 and hubby is 86. 

It's a feeling of great relief to have that protection.  At this age and with heart problems I think contacting CoronaVirus would be fatal. 

We're not quite done with life just yet!

• Love 20
43 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

We had two shots of Pfizer and had no problems at all.  In fact I drove through a raging snow storm to get our second dose.   I'm 81 and hubby is 86. 

It's a feeling of great relief to have that protection.  At this age and with heart problems I think contacting CoronaVirus would be fatal. 

We're not quite done with life just yet!

Bravo to both of you. You are an inspiration 😊

• Love 6

I mentioned a few pages back that we had our first shots of Moderna last Thursday. I had said I just had a sore arm. Well it got worse before bed that night and I did take some ibuprofen, which helped. I had it in my left arm and could not lay on it. I slept for crap. Friday it still hurt badly and I had the chills. Still slept awful as I couldn't lay on my left side still. Yesterday it was only a little sore when I lifted my arm. I slept so much better and could lay on my left side. Today we are both back to normal. My husband could lay on his left side, but he was sore longer than he normally is with a shot. We will be emailed when it's time to go for our next one. I'm thinking April 15th should be the day.

Yep, do not take any pain relievers before getting the vaccination. My MIL heard that from her doctor which was a good thing, because she was going to take something the morning of their first shot.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Bravo to both of you. You are an inspiration 😊

Holy cow, the fact @Jeanne222 is 81 and active in a group like this is inspiring.  I’m 61 and about 40 times a day I think “oh, I need to know _____.  I’ll Google it”.  By the time I locate the phone and pull up Google, I’ve totally forgotten what I wanted to know.  I have a friend who says “just look on the Google”. SNORT!!!  The Google. I never say anything different either, because I love it. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

We have a library patron who asks us to ask the Google on his behalf. LOLOL "Ask the Google what color trim goes with a red roof and gray paint," he once commanded me. I asked the Google, and we ended up just looking at lots of pictures of gray houses with red roofs. By the end, he agreed with me that black or white trim might be best and then out of nowhere he decided that, despite that, he was going to go with beige. I like him. He's a nice guy, just a little quirky. But I'd probably jump through a window if he ever asked me to ask the Google again. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 4