Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I've had an Instagram account that's not very active, but lately I've posted a few photos. I like to follow friends, and some people I don't know personally who are good photographers or post interesting content. Lately it seems that whenever I check Insta, I see that I have a new follower and if I don't know them I always check their profile. Sometimes it's someone with an interest in photography and a public account, so that's okay.

But lately, at least half a dozen times, my new "follower" has a male name, with a male profile photo, and a completely private account with no information about them. I immediately block those accounts. Who knows who they really are and what they are up to? IMO you need a good bit of ruthlessness when it comes to online accounts.

• Love 14

I have friend in Georgia. Not enough "eligible" people are making appointments, so the drug stores will take just about anyone. She got an appointment despite not being eligible. In her case she's 2.5 months younger than the minimum age and probably should qualify due to health concerns. 

• Love 6

Jeeves, perhaps I’m overly cautious, but to me, you can’t assume everyone is ok.  I posted recently about a flirty guy I met on an online support site for diabetics.  He’s probably fine. Covid makes you lonely.....update. He’s now sent me his phone number. 😁

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Oh my god everybody, I just got accepted to my first choice law school, with a full tuition scholarship for all four years (it's four because I'm doing the evening program). I am reeling, I can't believe it. So happy!!!!!!!!! I'm grinning from ear to ear and I also want to cry, it's just so overwhelming. I can't believe this!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!! This is huge!  I’m very happy for you.  🥂🍾👍😀

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Oh my god everybody, I just got accepted to my first choice law school, with a full tuition scholarship for all four years (it's four because I'm doing the evening program). I am reeling, I can't believe it. So happy!!!!!!!!! I'm grinning from ear to ear and I also want to cry, it's just so overwhelming. I can't believe this!!!!!!!!

Holy wow. Way to go!

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Woohoo 🥳🧠🎈! Congratulations 🍾🎉🎈🎊!

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Congratulations!  You've really earned this through hard work, determination and lots of "smarts"!

• Love 7

@rue721 You are at the top of Mt Everest and ready to plant your flag (as soon as you pass, and you will, your final component of your CPA exam. Whoo Hoo, first choice of law schools with a full ride...you ROCK. I liked the advice @SunnyBeBe gave you. Find an ethical place to learn and practice. Both my brother and nephew are judges. They began in law. What they have in common is integrity and ethics. (PS Being a judge doesn’t pay great and if you are ethical there are no perks) So find your flavor of practice and enjoy your career. You earned your spot. 
PS Technically I am a judge too. I judge horse shows.
I know squat about law, but was a RN too. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, rue721 said:

Congratulations!

I hav serious vaccine envy. Here in Northern California, we are still only vaccinating the 1B group.

• Love 5

CONGRATULATIONS! What great news!

Hubby and I got our first dose today. Our state is doing 64 and under with certain health issues. My arm is pretty sore right now, but it usually is after any shot. We don't normally get reactions, so we'll see what tomorrow brings. Feels so wonderful to be on our way to being fully vaccinated.

@Happyfatchick, we had an Urgent Care by us that had 50 doses that needed to be used by 3:00 today. The spots were filled up in seconds. We didn't go there, we already had appointments at a pharmacy. The place we went had an emergency list of people to call to use up any extra doses. The lady said they haven't had to throw any away.

• Love 7

WOW!!  You go girl!  Congratulations, all your hard work has paid off!!!!!

• Love 6

rue721!!! Congrats, that's amazing! And from someone who works in the financial industry, if you go into prosecuting fraud/financial crimes, you'll never hurt for work. Fraudsters are only getting more and more bold and creative. There is a special place in hell for them, I swear.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I confess to tearing up a little hearing your good news, @rue721. You deserve every bit of this amazing scholarship. What a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing it with us! Next stop.....passing the last part of the CPA exam! Whoooohoooo!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, rue721 said:

That is so fantastic! And no doubt very well deserved! Congratulations!!!!

• Love 8

I volunteered to sew baby blankets for the NICU of one of our local hospitals, which was stupid because i haven't sewn in like 10 years and I had basic skills, at best. I pulled out the sewing machine my mom, a professional quilter and quilting judge, handed down to me years ago. It is big, expensive, and totally not user friendly for a novice. First, I couldn't get it threaded right, then the thread kept breaking, then the bobbin wasn't pulling the bottom thread through correctly, and finally there was a pop and smoke started coming out of the machine. Luckily, I have three finished blankets that are varying sizes but seem to be holding together.

Never again. 

And of course the site won't let me upload the photo of them.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 18
4 hours ago, rue721 said:

That’s amazing!!! I’m so proud of you. 

Says someone who’s paying off their law school debt 11yrs later. 

YOU ARE AMAZING!Amazing Season 6 GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

• Love 10
10 hours ago, rue721 said:

Way To Go Good Job GIF by Justin

Thats SO awesome, @rue721!

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

In just a bit, my husband and I will be off to see the wonderful wizard of science. Hoping for a weekend of little to no side effects. Fingers crossed. 🌞🤞🏽

Good luck! Is this the Fauci Ouchy??? 🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, Zella said:

See, this would be another point of difference between Scotch-Irish and Irish immigration. The former predates Ellis Island by a good 150 years and centered on Pennsylvania rather than New York arrivals. Not saying those names didn't alter over time too, but that doesn't seem to be a prevalent issue in the research I've done and they weren't being changed by stumped or inattentive immigration officials.

I'm taking this here since it's getting a bit off topic.  There is no evidence of peoples' names being mangled by confused or inattentive immigration officials.  If your ancestor changed their name on the various ship manifests and immigration paperwork at Ellis Island, then your ancestor chose to do it.  

Census records are another story.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm taking this here since it's getting a bit off topic.  There is no evidence of peoples' names being mangled by confused or inattentive immigration officials.  If your ancestor changed their name on the various ship manifests and immigration paperwork at Ellis Island, then your ancestor chose to do it.  

Yeah that's true. I was trying not to go too off-topic by delving into the details on that. My main point was simply that the immigration experience between 1740s Pennsylvania and 1890s/early 1900s New York City are so different that it's not at all comparable. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Oh my stars, census records! I have started on my family tree on Ancestry and looking at the census records you are lucky if there is even one name that is consistent from year to year. It’s partly the cursive handwriting and I imagine the people who did the actual door to door didn’t always get the best replies.

• Love 5

Still on the fence about contacting my sister. If I do it, I figure on the weekend would probably be better to do it. So, like last weekend, I'm playing should I or shouldn't I. *sigh* The "What the fuck, do it" part of me is fighting with the "Nope, don't want to do that" part.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Still on the fence about contacting my sister. If I do it, I figure on the weekend would probably be better to do it. So, like last weekend, I'm playing should I or shouldn't I. *sigh* The "What the fuck, do it" part of me is fighting with the "Nope, don't want to do that" part.

Maybe if you still have the voice inside you that says, "Nope", then it is not the time. I think for something like this you need to be absolutely sure. You are seemingly happy and content with your present situation so it is not as if this is something that needs to be done right now.. Maybe wait until you know in your heart that you are ready and have no doubts. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
32 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

Maybe if you still have the voice inside you that says, "Nope", then it is not the time. I think for something like this you need to be absolutely sure. You are seemingly happy and content with your present situation so it is not as if this is something that needs to be done right now.. Maybe wait until you know in your heart that you are ready and have no doubts. 

I agree with this sentiment, @QuinnInND. You'll know when it is the right time.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Liddy52 said:

Are you my husband? He said the same thing pretty much. 

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Just thinking about this.  I'd ask myself what exactly am I wanting and expecting from this conversation/contact?  Are they realistic expectations.

Might be a good time to pull out some paper, draw a line down the middle and write pluses and minus on each side.  Fill it in and see where you are.

I'm kind of curious if this, so far, is causing you any conflict in your family life?  Not for me to know.  Just something to think about.

49 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Just thinking about this.  I'd ask myself what exactly am I wanting and expecting from this conversation/contact?  Are they realistic expectations.

Might be a good time to pull out some paper, draw a line down the middle and write pluses and minus on each side.  Fill it in and see where you are.

I'm kind of curious if this, so far, is causing you any conflict in your family life?  Not for me to know.  Just something to think about.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I want to let my sister know that I still love her, and I hope she understood why I had to leave mostly. She was the one bright spot in my life.  And I want the whole story and info about my bio dad. All of it. 

No conflict in my family at all. Only my husband knows my story. And everyone here in the prayer closet. Nobody else. My husband supports me 100%.

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Not your husband, of course,  but it is reassuring to me that my comment was not too far off base, if the person who knows you best says almost the same thing. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best. I think @JEANNE222  has a good point when she asks you to think about what your expectations are in this situation.  Not exactly the same, but for myself, I have learned that if I cannot live with whatever answer I receive,  then maybe it is best not to ask the question. If you are not ready to deal with whatever you face once you open that door, maybe best to leave the door closed for now. 

Edited by Liddy52
  • Love 8
54 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

Not your husband, of course,  but it is reassuring to me that my comment was not too far off base, if the person who knows you best says almost the same thing. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best. I think @JEANNE222  has a good point when she asks you to think about what your expectations are in this situation.  Not exactly the same, but for myself, I have learned that if I cannot live with whatever answer I receive,  then maybe it is best not to ask the question. If you are not ready to deal with whatever you face once you open that door, maybe best to leave the door closed for now. 

Very sage advice and very eloquently said. 

• Love 5

home from cloudy, humid texas. loved seeing my grandkids and of course my own kids too. it was actually really nice weather on sunday so we went to the zoo and out to dinner. it was weird that texas no longer mandates masks. i wore mine for sure! also i  had my second shot with little to no symptoms after. sore arm and tired was basically it. whoever coined the 'fauchi ouchy' has it totally correct. it hurt like A LOT this time when she did it. first time, no immediate pain at all. shots usually dont bother me. 

• Love 8