Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Good luck Rue721!  Feeling good about it is a very good sign. Sounds like you’ll have decisions to make.  

I wasn’t sure where to post this link. It’s an excellent piece from a former Quiverfill family member.  She is one of the older daughters featured.  Her family was featured on a TLC special about families with many children, called Kids By The Dozen.  What she has endured is horrific.  Based on my fundie background, I could relate.  
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cynthia-jeub-kids-by-the-dozen_n_5c798c1be4b0e5e313ca43e0

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4

A little late but in honor of the Ides of March:

I don't celebrate it, per se, but every March 15, I do warn my Chihuahua named after a Roman emperor to beware the Ides of March. The look of disdain he gives me in response is indescribable. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good luck Rue721!  Feeling good about it is a very good sign. Sounds like you’ll have decisions to make.  

I wasn’t sure where to post this link. It’s an excellent piece from a former Quiverfill family member.  She is one of the older daughters featured.  Her family was featured on a TLC special about families with many children, called Kids By The Dozen.  What she has endured is horrific.  Based on my fundie background, I could relate.  
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cynthia-jeub-kids-by-the-dozen_n_5c798c1be4b0e5e313ca43e0

Yes I remember reading about Cynthia when this originally was published. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I think I love your mom!

Aw, thanks! Yeah, she was pretty great. She took me to my first political protest (an ERA rally) when I was nine years old. I miss her.

@ginger90 I hope you get good news about your daughter. Sending positive energy your direction.

• Love 10

Good luck @rue721!!

@ginger90 sending good vibes to you and your daughter.

I got my second covid shot yesterday. This evening, my arm is a bit sore, a slight headache and some minor muscle aches, but nothing major. 

A couple more pics from the weekend hike. 

FB_IMG_1615937864945.jpg

FB_IMG_1615937859300.jpg

FB_IMG_1615937850633.jpg

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 11
50 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Good luck @rue721!!

@ginger90 sending good vibes to you and your daughter.

I got my second covid shot yesterday. This evening, my arm is a bit sore, a slight headache and some minor muscle aches, but nothing major. 

A couple more pics from the weekend hike. 

FB_IMG_1615937864945.jpg

FB_IMG_1615937859300.jpg

FB_IMG_1615937850633.jpg

Where were these taken? They remind me of my local area.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Swallow Falls State Park in Oakland, Maryland. 

Ohhh...ok. Not too far from NC.  I’ve been to Philly, Baltimore, Bethesda, Annapolis, Silver Spring...before.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ohhh...ok. Not too far from NC.  I’ve been to Philly, Baltimore, Bethesda, Annapolis, Silver Spring...before.  

It's a beautiful area here. We love it, and are glad we came back. Well, glad the Air Force sent is back. 

• Love 3

How do we attract advertisers?  If you’ll recall, I posted a few months ago about how I was shopping and then received ads for items I looked at, but never googled or talked about.  I planned to shop while leaving my phone in the car to see what would happen.   Fast forward to this past weekend.  I picked up a small piece of a home security warning sign that I think my movers broke off the security sign near the garage months ago.  I threw it away.  Most of the sign is still intact and the one in the front of house is fine. I didn’t google  anything about home security nor talk to anybody about home security. On Monday, I had 3 voice mail messages on my office phone from home security companies! Isn’t that funny?  I guess it was coincidental.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
7 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Glad your interviews went well @rue721. Sending good vibes and wishes for the offers you want! You are amazing!

Thank you 🥰 That means a lot 💗

Edited by rue721
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Has everybody gotten their Stimulus check.  Today is the day from what I am reading. 

Hide contents
  Hide contents

No spoiler...typo.  Sorry.

Got it!  It will pay for half of my new water heater.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Has everybody gotten their Stimulus check.  Today is the day from what I am reading. 

Hide contents
  Reveal spoiler

No, and I never did get the last one either. I have to deduct it from my 2020 taxes. I’m not too happy.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Hide contents
  Reveal spoiler

We haven't gotten any of them. Won't get this one either. If you get them mailed, you won't get it for a couple of weeks yet. 

One of my tiny humans was wearing the cutest pair of St Patrick's day themed suspenders today. Just adorable. 

• Love 7

I got disappointed on Monday. I received a check from the US Treasury in the mail! I got all excited, but when I got it opened saw it was only for around $38.00.  Lol it was an a refund from something over a year ago. I’m grateful, but it’s not what I really wanted.  

4 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I passed the exam! 3 down, 1 to go 😅 The three that I’ve passed so far, I’ve passed on the first try. The one I still have to go is a retake — and I take it in less than two weeks. 🤞🤞 I’m very proud (!!!) and I cannot wait to have ALL the exams behind me 😁

And I got my stimulus! My parents are eligible but didn’t get theirs yet, and they’ve gotten a paper check (actually, one of those weird debit cards) in the past as well. I think the people who got tax refunds direct deposited into their accounts for tax years 2018-2020 also got the stimulus direct deposited, but people who paid taxes any of those years are more hit or miss in terms of stimulus direct deposits. That’s just from what I’ve seen in my family, though. 

Congratulations on the exams!

And yes, how you had your tax refund deposited determines whether you got a direct deposit vs.the dreaded debit card. I didn't even think of those who owed Uncle Sam. But even if someone just paid last year, I think they would still get direct deposit if an account is on file.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 7

Congrats on the test!

I never had tax refunds direct deposited before last year (primarily because I hadn't gotten a refund in quite a while, so I didn't see a point in signing up for it), but I signed up to get the 1st stimulus check direct deposited to me, and each of them have been direct deposited quickly. The rest of my family refuses to do that, so they get the stimulus as physical checks mailed to them, usually weeks after I've gotten mine. I didn't realize some people were getting them as debit cards. What do you have to do to be punished like that?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

It was odd, I got the first via direct deposit lickety split, then the last one via check.  It was about three weeks from the time the IRS said that it was first in process to when I got the check.  My daughter got hers today, last time when she got the $600 it took a long time, but she got that direct deposit.  She never did get the first payment.  I dunno about this third one, if we'll get skipped this time or what.  I'd like to just stick it in the bank...of course after I get a new desk, and the husband gets a newfangled table saw set up.  Pour it back into the economy!

ETA - how the heck do you transfer a debit card into your bank?  I've never done that!

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Useful 5

Congratulations Rue721!   Awesome news. Best wishes as you tackle the last exam! You’re on a roll for sure.  👍😀

I’m now worried that the $38.00 check I got from US Treasury was my stimulus check.  Oh well...lol. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

I got the first stimulus check, hubby didn't.  I didn't get the second one, but he did.  So far neither of us has gotten the new one. I'm not really expecting it, even though the taxes are done.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CherryMalotte said:

It was odd, I got the first via direct deposit lickety split, then the last one via check.  It was about three weeks from the time the IRS said that it was first in process to when I got the check.  My daughter got hers today, last time when she got the $600 it took a long time, but she got that direct deposit.  She never did get the first payment.  I dunno about this third one, if we'll get skipped this time or what.  I'd like to just stick it in the bank...of course after I get a new desk, and the husband gets a newfangled table saw set up.  Pour it back into the economy!

ETA - how the heck do you transfer a debit card into your bank?  I've never done that!

Because I didn't have access, I had to solicit the help of the Assisted Living activities manager to do the actual transfer. I had to provide her the bank routing number as wrll as her account number. The transfer was made successfully.

MIL will be 89 next month, and in her confusion with the debit card, cut up her regular credit card! I hope we don't have such issues when the new card comes. *sigh* 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, beckie said:

I got the first stimulus check, hubby didn't.  I didn't get the second one, but he did.  So far neither of us has gotten the new one. I'm not really expecting it, even though the taxes are done.

We never got the first one, but did get the second. Don't know about the new one yet. I suspect we may be a little above the threshold, which is fine (to be honest, I'm not sure what that figure ended up being) - I'm all about the money going where it is really needed.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 5

The past 24 hours of Arkansas weather has been a real roller coaster. We were in a tornado watch yesterday, but it snowed overnight as the cold front moved through. And it's all already melted. LOL

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

You have to go on the card issuer's website, register your info and then make the transfer using your account and routing numbers. It takes about three business days. I did it with my second stimulus payment and it was a total pain in the ass. Their website is slow, confusing and looks like it was done by a computer science major who flunked out in his first semester of junior college. I would much rather have been issued a paper check. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Thank you!!!!! 😁

I retake the last exam on March 29th, and I'll find out if I passed on April 9th. 🤞 You can take the four CPA exams in any order, and ironically, the one I'm taking on the 29th is the one I tried to pass first! I started studying for it last July, and took it for the first time in September 😅 The good thing is that studying for it really helped me with the other three, though, and I do know the information pretty well at this point. It's also such a load off to be down to just the one, the treadmill feels like it's slowing down... I cannot WAIT until I'm done with all of them, and don't have this constant pressure to study hanging over my head.

I will probably be finding out if I passed AND sending in my security deposit to reserve a place in law school in the same week. It's going to be wild!

Thank you everybody for being so supportive. I know it sounds silly, but it means a lot. Everyone in my offline life knows that I'm doing all this, but I'm trying not to talk their ears off about it... thanks for letting me talk yours off instead 😁

And I'm kind of late to the party but congrats from me too! Happy to hear about what you are doing!

• Love 9

@rue721hard work but surely worth it.  What you achieve now will last you a lifetime.  Congratulations.

My daughter a teacher was sad that her two high school boys grades weren't good.  It's been a really tough year for these kids.  Patience.

I happened upon this quote.

"When the student is ready the teacher will come!"    Buddha

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Thank you!!!!! 😁

I retake the last exam on March 29th, and I'll find out if I passed on April 9th. 🤞 You can take the four CPA exams in any order, and ironically, the one I'm taking on the 29th is the one I tried to pass first! I started studying for it last July, and took it for the first time in September 😅 The good thing is that studying for it really helped me with the other three, though, and I do know the information pretty well at this point. It's also such a load off to be down to just the one, the treadmill feels like it's slowing down... I cannot WAIT until I'm done with all of them, and don't have this constant pressure to study hanging over my head.

I will probably be finding out if I passed AND sending in my security deposit to reserve a place in law school in the same week. It's going to be wild!

Thank you everybody for being so supportive. I know it sounds silly, but it means a lot. Everyone in my offline life knows that I'm doing all this, but I'm trying not to talk their ears off about it... thanks for letting me talk yours off instead 😁

Have you decided on your ultimate goal career wise?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Have you decided on your ultimate goal career wise?

Maybe tax law, prosecuting fraud/financial crime, or something else in government... I'm not really sure yet.

I'm all ears if you have suggestions!

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Maybe tax law, prosecuting fraud/financial crime, or something else in government... I'm not really sure yet.

I'm all ears if you have suggestions!

Everyone is different, of course.  Maybe, you can  intern with a couple of offices to see what they are like.  I have a friend/mentor who has done tax law, estate planning, probate, etc. for years in a private firm and loves it. He’s a partner and has been very successful.  He’s not a litigator.  He’s nearing retirement, but attorneys often work way past retirement age.  There is something to be said for a government job where you get a steady paycheck, benefits and regular hours.  Private practice can be very stressful. There’s pressure to bill hours, please clients, office politics, fight opposing counsel, etc. You can be your own boss, but there are trade-offs.  With an  accounting and law degree, you will be very attractive to employers.  At first, I’d suggest finding a solid, ethical mentor and observing how they handle things for at least 2 years.  Preferably, they’ll hire you and you can be around likeminded professionals to gain confidence and experience. And, help you NETWORK, which is crucial, no matter which route you take.    I’m so excited for you!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Hey peeps!  I’m just home for a minute - leaving again this weekend.  Looooong trip this time, I’m very excited.  
so I have this friend who is capable of putting together a tent, flying a plane, throwing a party for 400, making pizza, calling her mom simultaneously while waiting in line at Disney.  She’s honestly the most multi-tasking person I know.  And gets QUITE unruly if her demands aren’t met. She asks me today if I’ve had the shot while I’m traveling all over.  I say I’m not eligible yet.  She says THE HELL!!!  Turns out she has 50 things running at once where she can get me in to get a shot.  I have to drive an hour... but that’s a pointless argument with this chick.  
but this was info worth sharing, y’all!  Listen!!!  She got on a list with several drug stores.  If they get to the end of their day with unused shots, they notify her and she sends everybody she can.  She’s 35ish and has her shot already, and her husband got his today as well (in Macon).  She bullied me right into going, and had me in a slit in 3 minutes.  Same with the hubs.  He’s not even home and she booked him into a spot at 4:30 today.  Meanwhile, she’s managing her props crew, ordering personal jackets for friends, telling someone to bring me said jackets and texting them my addy, and bossing her husband around the state.  
some drugstore notified her at the end of the day the other day that they had FORTY unused shots! Her whole Crew went down and got shot.  I told her she’s a bully, but I’m going! 

I thought the drugstore thing was worth a try!

• Love 11