Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I thought CBS paid Oprah the $7 million for the interview. With that said, it doesn't mean Harry & Meghan didn't do some backroom deal with O for a cut of the money. But as tempting as that would be, I kind of doubt it. I think H & M would know even more viewers would doubt their claims, if they thought they were paid.

If Oprah said they weren't paid, then they weren't paid.  Oprah is not the sort to mess with the truth; she's got a reputation to uphold.

As far as money, Harry and Meghan signed a deal with Netflix to produce various programming for streaming.  Details were not released, but it is rumored that they will make about $100 million on the deal.  Compared to that, a few measly million for an interview seems like chicken feed.  No way they are going to risk their reputations and their big deal with Netflix by taking money under the table.  After all, the whole point of the interview was for them to tell their side of the story, to be truthful and honest about what happened to them.  They need to be credible and taking money for an interview while claiming they weren't paid would completely ruin any positive effect the interview might have.

As far as profiting, I am sure Harry and Meghan and their PR people felt it was a calculated risk and that, while they didn't get cash upfront, the publicity the interview would receive would be worth far more than any payment they could receive.  And they're absolutely right.

All the reports I've read say that CBS paid Harpo, Oprah's production company, $7.5 million for rights to broadcast the interview.  Harry and Meghan didn't get a dime.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I had only heard of Meghan in passing until she started dating Harry.  I've never seen anything she'd been in as far as I know. I must be the only one who never knew she's bi racial.  All the pearl clutching about her being black, and I'm sitting here looking at her like "if you say so."  So all the hew and cry was lost on me.  

I only vaguely knew of her having accidentally watched about half of an episode of 'Suits' once.   As far as biracial, you're right, she certainly doesn't immediately strike the viewer as definitely African American; but, she is.  And that's what counts, both to her and the world.  Meghan Markle has also always been an outspoken member of the AA community both online and publicly and has never tried to hide her background.  Back in the day, there were those who believed that if a person had 'one drop' of black blood, they were black.  No matter what.  And she's certainly been the target of a lot of racist BS since she started dating a rich white prince.

• Love 23

I know this is naive, but I'm pretty shocked at how explicitly racist the royals & co have been toward Megan and her and Harry's kids. Hiding a baby because he possibly looks like his one black grandparent? I mean, wtf?! That's horrific and I can see why they couldn't stay involved with a family like that. Besides other reasons, like the horror that is Prince Andrew. I mean, obviously the royal family is archaic, that's sort of the whole schtick with royalty, but this is just yet another reminder of why the past was horrible and archaic remnants of it don't need to be revered either.

Not worried about their finances, though. Megan is a millionaire in her own right and Harry was born to one of the richest families on the planet, plus they have a huge profile that they could monetize at the drop of a hat. They may have their problems, but money is not one of them.

I'm feeling down today, mostly because I'm exhausted from my exam on Monday and work has been relentless. I've been trying to wait until tax season is over, and everything related to the CPA is taken care of, and my law school acceptances (fingers crossed!) are in before taking some PTO. It's so hard to plan anything right now, even a vacation. But I think I'm really starting to get burnt out. Are you all feeling the same? Maybe that's just how March is. And this being the one-year anniversary of the covid lockdowns isn't helping, I'm sure.

• Love 16

@rue721 - I'm feeling kind of burned out and in need of a break too. And I haven't been NEARLY as busy as you! As to scheduling some R&R, only you can decide about the timing. But whenever you take it, please take a nice break to relax, recharge, refresh, and have fun!

• Love 5

Just a reminder and I'm not saying this was done, but there are mulitple ways to compensate people who "aren't paid for the interview."  There are photo and video licensing, location reimbursement, and a few dozen other inventions to cover the situation.  These are used all the time in Hollywood.  Just saying something can be the absolute truth and yet far from the full story.  

• Love 10

I think Harry received about $10 million from Diana and Meghan was worth about $3 million from acting. That would provide them with security (only security) for about 10 - 15 years. So I don't think they were sitting back not worried about money when Charles cut them off. 

Its not like they can downsize in move into a typical suburb. They'd be found out in a hot minute, it would be harder to stay safe and the neighbors would be none too happy. Maybe they could survive in a neighborhood like where the Obamas live in DC, but I still think they'd stand out.

Its not cheap to be a Royal.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Harry received about $10 million from Diana and Meghan was worth about $3 million from acting. That would provide them with security (only security) for about 10 - 15 years. So I don't think they were sitting back not worried about money when Charles cut them off. 

Its not like they can downsize in move into a typical suburb. They'd be found out in a hot minute, it would be harder to stay safe and the neighbors would be none too happy. Maybe they could survive in a neighborhood like where the Obamas live in DC, but I still think they'd stand out.

Its not cheap to be a Royal.

I don't have the bandwidth to add them to my list of worries.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

And she's certainly been the target of a lot of racist BS since she started dating a rich white prince.

Harry was a catch, at least on the surface. He had all of the prestige and money without the worst of the “you’re up next” responsibility. And he had the bad boy thing going for him, not to mention he’s good looking and seems to have a good sense of humor. I would think the fact that he didn’t marry a nice posh British girl was the source of much jealousy among the also-rans, even if it was only in their fantasies.

Also the last time an heir to the throne was involved with an American divorcee, it didn’t go well for the monarchy.  King Edward abdicated as a result. I suspect some of all the UK hysterics has to do with it essentially happening again...it’s been a couple of generations or so, but nothing has a long memory like a monarchy. (Of course, when Charles wanted to marry his divorced mistress they changed the rules.  How convenient.🙄)

Add in the reality of racism...it was a recipe for ugly. I don’t blame Harry and Meghan for getting out before Archie was old enough to start to understand what was happening.

• Love 9
Just now, GeeGolly said:

Nor do I. I just find the story interesting, but I'm not worried a bit.

I didn't mean to sound like I was snarking at you. 😊 There is just so much attention being given to H&M and though they have feelings like any other humans, they are in a spectacular position of privilege.  There are so many things in the world at large and in my own life that are serious worries, that I just feel like letting H&M handle their problems.

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I didn't mean to sound like I was snarking at you. 😊 There is just so much attention being given to H&M and though they have feelings like any other humans, they are in a spectacular position of privilege.  There are so many things in the world at large and in my own life that are serious worries, that I just feel like letting H&M handle their problems.

No worries. I didn't take it as snark. Like I said, I find it very interesting. ANd I enjoy the conversation and perspective offered here from other posters.

There are also times I find celebrity news, Duggar news and whatever, overblown and almost insulting, but I'm not there right now. It sounds like maybe you are. Many hugs and thoughts of lightness and hope to you. 

• Love 5

I was in a Staples store (for the first time in ages) last week, and right at the checkout lane there was a display of Lysol wipes, the big plastic containers. I grabbed one. And yes it was a sight I hadn't seen for awhile. ETA it was Clorox not Lysol wipes, sorry I got it wrong. I just saw the container in the cabinet and realized my mistake. However it’s true that I hadn’t seen them in a store for a long time.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 5

Regarding the H & M drama. I may be biased because I do not trust MM, nor do I particularly like her, or believe anything she says. In my opinion... and only my opinion... I think she knew exactly what she was doing to make her look like the victim and blast TRF. Again, only my own insignificant opinion. My friends and I had a watch party for her wedding... and I predicted a divorce within 5 years. Again... Only my insignificant opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Love 13
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I only vaguely knew of her having accidentally watched about half of an episode of 'Suits' once.   As far as biracial, you're right, she certainly doesn't immediately strike the viewer as definitely African American; but, she is.  And that's what counts, both to her and the world.  Meghan Markle has also always been an outspoken member of the AA community both online and publicly and has never tried to hide her background.  Back in the day, there were those who believed that if a person had 'one drop' of black blood, they were black.  No matter what.  And she's certainly been the target of a lot of racist BS since she started dating a rich white prince.

I'm also one who can't see half African American in her.  Her features and skin tone look caucasian to me.  I have since seen photos of her as a young girl and it was very obvious to me that she was African American.  Can a person's features and skin tone change that much?  Or was plastic surgery involved?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
Just now, louannems said:

I'm also one who can't see half African American in her.  Her features and skin tone look caucasian to me.  I have since seen photos of her as a young girl and it was very obvious to me that she was African American.  Can a person's features and skin tone change that much?  Or was plastic surgery involved?

Meghan doesn't look to me like she's had plastic surgery, but it does seem like she must have her hair straightened.  In her childhood photos, her hair is much curlier.  Her skin tone and facial features otherwise look about the same as they do now to me, anyway.

meg.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Meghan doesn't look to me like she's had plastic surgery, but it does seem like she must have her hair straightened.  In her childhood photos, her hair is much curlier.  Her skin tone and facial features otherwise look about the same as they do now to me, anyway.

meg.jpg

I think hair and make-up have a lot to do with it. 

180509112714-meghan-markle-11-years-old-markle-three-1595532617.jpg?crop=1.00xw:

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think hair and make-up have a lot to do with it. 

180509112714-meghan-markle-11-years-old-markle-three-1595532617.jpg?crop=1.00xw:

She looks more African American in her younger pics and the one where she's in red. But not so much in the other two. She's beautiful in all 4 however. 

• Love 4

Time for a subject change! 

All my friends or most are all excited about daylight savings time coming on Saturday. I hate it. The kids and dogs don't do well with it and I hate that there's no evening. Just a long afternoon and then bedtime. Blah. 

• Love 7

I hate when the clocks change too. My son lives in Arizona where they don’t charge and it always takes me weeks to remember whether he’s 2 hours behind me or 3. Plus the dog does not understand and wants his walks and food on the old time.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I hate when the clocks change too. My son lives in Arizona where they don’t charge and it always takes me weeks to remember whether he’s 2 hours behind me or 3. Plus the dog does not understand and wants his walks and food on the old time.

Exactly. Arizona seems to do fine with standard time year round. 

@SunnyBeBe what a great story! 

• Love 5

I really like daylight savings time because it provides light until almost 9:00 p.m. That means I can stay out longer, shop longer, entertain outside, attend concerts, etc.  I just like it.  

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

All my friends or most are all excited about daylight savings time coming on Saturday. I hate it. The kids and dogs don't do well with it and I hate that there's no evening. Just a long afternoon and then bedtime. Blah. 

I hate it as well.  I grew up in Central Time and 20 years ago I moved to Eastern Time.  For the last 20 years I drag from March until November.  I had a coworker that grew up like I did and she said she had never gotten used to the time change.  Also I like having light when I drive into work. It helps me wake up. Now it will be dark driving into work.  I need it to get dark so that I can try to settle down at night to get to sleep.  It's hard when it stays light so long.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Interesting you mention that.  I was at the dentist this afternoon and he mentioned to one of the secretaries that he heard they ? are pushing to do away with time change.  All will be in the Spring ahead zone.

That will make it dark when the kids leave for school in the Fall.  

27 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Interesting you mention that.  I was at the dentist this afternoon and he mentioned to one of the secretaries that he heard they ? are pushing to do away with time change.  All will be in the Spring ahead zone.

That will make it dark when the kids leave for school in the Fall.  

They need to leave standard time year round. Arizona does it. The days get naturally longer on their own. The amount of light doesn't change just because we change the clocks. 

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Are Girl Scout cookies any good? 

They used to be very good, but I think they're making them cheaper now and the quality has gone down in recent years. They don't taste quite the same and the packaging is deceptive. The boxes are the same size they always were, but the plastic trays inside don't hold as many cookies as they used to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

We still like the Thin Mints, and my husband loves the peanut butter ones. The lemon ones are also good.  And as a side note, Keebler Grasshoppers are a good substitute for Thin Mints. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Its been awhile since I had some but they used to be really good. I loved the lemon ones, peanut butter ones, shortbread and caramel delights. My parents loved them all especially the thin mints. Also as a former Girl Scout and champion GS cookie seller I liked helping the girls out buying them. But unfortunately they all end up with ingrediants that I can't have so I had to quit.

• Love 5

Add me to the list who do not like daylight savings time. I don’t like being hot and look forward to the evening cool-off in the summer. Daylight Savings time prevents the the welcome cool air from coming for an hour more. Sadly for me, it seems the push to legislate a change is directed at making daylight savings year round, not standard time.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I dislike Daylight Savings.  It seems unnatural for it to be light at 8:00pm. It takes me a long time to recover from the lost hour.  I hope we stop the time change but keep standard time.

When we were stationed in Scotland, during the summer it would still be fairly light by, like 10:00 at night. And the sun would come up by about 4:00. Even in the middle of the night, there was still that sort of vague light you get about an hour before the sun actually rises. Likewise, in the winter, the sun would come up after 9:30, and be close to setting by 4:00, and it was never high in the sky, so the shadows stayed long all throughout the daylight hours. I loved it! I don't actually remember whether they did daylight savings time there (that was about 30 years ago, and my memory is not that great!).

Then again, when we were stationed in Guam, there was only about 1/2 hour difference between the longest and shortest days of the year, so obviously no daylight savings time there. We were also a day ahead of the USA, which led to things like Superbowl Monday, and the game aired in the early afternoon. 

No daylight savings time when we were stationed in Hawaii either, so we always had to remember whether we were 5 or 6 hours different than the rest of the family.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I just wish "they" would pick one time and stick with it. The time change messes me up, and it really messes my pup up. When we gain an hour in the fall, that Sunday just goes on f o r e v e r. And this weekend when we lose an hour, I drag all day on Sunday. Pick one and stick with it.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I really like daylight savings time because it provides light until almost 9:00 p.m. That means I can stay out longer, shop longer, entertain outside, attend concerts, etc.  I just like it.  

That's me, too.  I have to work every day and it is so nice to get home and still have a couple of hours of daylight.  It energizes me and gives me time to get outside and get fresh air, which doesn't happen otherwise during the work day.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

That's me, too.  I have to work every day and it is so nice to get home and still have a couple of hours of daylight.  It energizes me and gives me time to get outside and get fresh air, which doesn't happen otherwise during the work day.

Even working at home as I've been for the last year, I hated the winter months when it was already full dark outside by the time I was done with my workday.

That's why I prefer a later sunset to an earlier sunrise. But my main wish is that "they" would just pick a time system and stick the hell with it all year round. This changeover nonsense is annoying and wasteful.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, ozziemom said:

I grew up in Indiana, back when they didn't do Daylight savings time, and it was great.  No clocks to change time.  My family called it "God's time" The only thing was TV shows start times changed.  I've been living with Time Change for 30 years and I'm still not used to it. 

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@Mindthinkr - I've been wondering what the situation is with your suddenly-shattered living room window. Has anyone figured out what caused it to break? 

I was told that there is a gas seal between the inner and outer plates of glass. That if it leaks it can cause the window to shatter. I’m still waiting for the glass repair place. This coming Monday was the first appointment that I could get to get it fixed. I’ll ask them what they think happened, but others have told me of experiencing similar issues. Now I have this perpetual worry/fear that other windows are going to spontaneously shatter. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

One of my kids thinks DST should be a celebrated holiday. I kind of agree with her. I need sunshine and love the 'longer' days. 

Move to the desert Southwest, and you'll get all the sun you want. I hated Vegas for that and other reasons. Too hot and sunny. Miserable. 

7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

In the desert Southwest, you'd want to stay inside. Going out into a bright blast furnace isn't energizing or fun. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was told that there is a gas seal between the inner and outer plates of glass. That if it leaks it can cause the window to shatter. I’m still waiting for the glass repair place. This coming Monday was the first appointment that I could get to get it fixed. I’ll ask them what they think happened, but others have told me of experiencing similar issues. Now I have this perpetual worry/fear that other windows are going to spontaneously shatter. 

Now I’m worried about that too!

• Love 4

I know it's been a year since quarantine started but I finally used my local library's curbside pick up. It was so nice and easy to do-everything was online and then you drive to the library on a designated day, park in one of the spots, text them, and they bring your books out to your car. My cousin in Manhattan has been using lobby pick up to reserve books at his local library and loves it. I hope Covid doesn't end up closing libraries or cutting staffs at all, libraries are such an important part of our culture. 

• Love 15