Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Today for the first time in over a year, I went inside the library.  It was only to pick up a DVD I requested, but it was nice to be inside.  They were excited to have another person return and gave me a little welcome back talk.  

• Love 10

Yesterday I went to the dentist for a cleaning.  They move the chair so you are laying down!

When she raised the chair i was dizzy.  That's happened before.  But this time it lasted and I sat for quite a while.  

I take an allergy pill every day.  I came home and used my flonase because I've had a time with allergies the last couple of weeks.  I better now but not quite there yet.

Just wondering if this happens to anybody else.

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

When she raised the chair i was dizzy.  That's happened before.  But this time it lasted and I sat for quite a while.  

Sounds like positional vertigo, especially if they’re lowering/tilting your head further back than you normally do (say while in bed). Stuff in your inner ear is getting jostled around. When it settles back down you get less dizzy.

Sometimes I get a bad case and follow a YouTube video that shows you how to move your head around in a way to reposition the inner ear stuff. Let me know if you’d like a link. 

I am not a doctor! 🙂

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Yesterday I went to the dentist for a cleaning.  They move the chair so you are laying down!

I take an allergy pill every day.  I came home and used my flonase because I've had a time with allergies the last couple of weeks.  I better now but not quite there yet.

Just wondering if this happens to anybody else.

It can be your blood pressure. 

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

It can be your blood pressure. 

I thought about that but I am on BP medicine and just had my semi annual heart doctor check up!

At my dentist office they do take your BP and mine was fine that day.

I really think it's inner ear!

3 hours ago, kieyra said:

Sounds like positional vertigo, especially if they’re lowering/tilting your head further back than you normally do (say while in bed). Stuff in your inner ear is getting jostled around. When it settles back down you get less dizzy.

Sometimes I get a bad case and follow a YouTube video that shows you how to move your head around in a way to reposition the inner ear stuff. Let me know if you’d like a link. 

I am not a doctor! 🙂

I'd love the link!  Thank you.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve noticed allergy symptoms for about a week.  Some seasons are worse than others.  This year seems to be more problematic.  I can’t take allergy meds due to my severe dry eye.  

Yes I've noticed it too.  I sneeze all the way down the road in the morning!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'd love the link!  Thank you.

This is the one that works for me, and has a cool graphic showing what’s happening in your ear:

There are others you can do flat on your back, with your head sort of hanging off the edge of a bed, if mobility is an issue for the half somersault.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

If you do the half summersault, it really does help with the dizzy/vertigo if it is an inner ear problem. But get up very, very slowly from the position and sit for thirty seconds without standing up. The shake up of the debris in the ear can make you dizzy for a while.

image.png.976337b3bd5b84b95982ddb40b0ee614.png Graphic of the other exercise Kieyra mentioned  for inner ear vertigo.

I like to hang my head over the side of the bed rather than on the bed.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Love2dance said:

If you do the half summersault, it really does help with the dizzy/vertigo if it is an inner ear problem. But get up very, very slowly from the position and sit for thirty seconds without standing up. The shake up of the debris in the ear can make you dizzy for a while.

image.png.976337b3bd5b84b95982ddb40b0ee614.png Graphic of the other exercise Kieyra mentioned  for inner ear vertigo.

I like to hang my head over the side of the bed rather than on the bed.

My vertigo gets so bad I can hardly move. There's no way I'd be able to exercise through it.

• Love 2

@Temperance good vibes going to your friend.

This is the end of the first week of everyone in my family back to in person learning. So basically we're back to normal in that regard. It's been a week of getting used to what was normal. Glad tomorrow is Saturday however. 

Have a great day everyone! 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, kieyra said:

I am not a doctor! 🙂

I am a doctor and I endorse this explanation.  It was probably due to the change in position, particularly if it was an unusual position for you.

I am better at 'below the waist' stuff, but women often get dizzy when they sit up after lying down for exams or procedures.  Being anxious about what is happening, as is par for the course at the dentist, can exacerbate the symptoms.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I tried trefoils Girl Scout cookies. They are okay. Definitely not worth $5. 

I am sitting at my desk, looking at patient charts and sneaking tagalongs (the peanut butter covered in chocolate cookies).  I love me some Girl Scout cookies!

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I am sitting at my desk, looking at patient charts and sneaking tagalongs (the peanut butter covered in chocolate cookies).  I love me some Girl Scout cookies!

I put those in the fridge. It’s so hot, chocolate melts.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Thin mint girl all the way. I put them in my freezer and eat them frozen. 

I learned that from my mother. Any other kitchen hacks or cooking...not one iota 😂

The only meal she could master was breakfast. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I learned that from my mother. Any other kitchen hacks or cooking...not one iota 😂

The only meal she could master was breakfast. 

Learned this from one of my kids. Yum!

• Love 4

Mmmmm, thin mints straight from the fridge. I don't care what anyone says, Keebler Grasshopper cookies are not exact dupes of thin mints. I don't know what kind of crack the Girl Scouts put in thin mints, but I'm hooked. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

My go to GS cookie is Samoas but since I am now retired, I have no one to buy cookies from. I would imagine there aren’t any GS out selling at random grocery stores, so I may be out of luck.

• Love 3

Speaking to a friend one day, she mentioned she really wanted a (homemade) cookie but the only ones she had were in the freezer.  "So eat them frozen!" I said.  She had never heard of this.  Now she thanks me for changing her life.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
45 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

My go to GS cookie is Samoas but since I am now retired, I have no one to buy cookies from. I would imagine there aren’t any GS out selling at random grocery stores, so I may be out of luck.

We found them selling at Home Depot a couple weeks ago. Call your local girl scout council and ask them. They can probably hook you up with a dealer.. I mean seller in your area. 🤣

• LOL 14
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

Put the word out on FB. Someone will know someone who has a kid selling them. SM is the way many are doing it this year.

• Love 3

I’ve been getting robo calls. I usually ignore them, but I’m waiting for a call to tell me what time I should be there for my second vaccine. I answer the phone: “Hello, how may I help you?” They hang up every time. Another I’m going to try is...how may I direct your call? 

• Love 8

Finally managed to get an appointment for my first Covid shot. There was a place about 1/2 hour away from us which got a bunch of openings earlier. Mr Jyn had not gotten around to finishing his registration process after I sent him the info - he did the first part, but not the whole thing, and by the time he figured it out and finished about 10 minutes later, all the spaces seemed to have been booked. 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ve been getting robo calls. I usually ignore them, but I’m waiting for a call to tell me what time I should be there for my second vaccine. I answer the phone: “Hello, how may I help you?” They hang up every time. Another I’m going to try is...how may I direct your call? 

I was getting a butt-ton of robo calls one day from the same number. I got fed up and answered, "FBI Fraud Division, how may I direct your call?" Amazingly, the calls stopped... 🤔

• LOL 16
  • Love 1

Got first dose of the Moderna vaccine about an hour ago. Other than some aches, I'm doing okay. They said they'd call us back for the second dose, but I'm assuming that will be around April 9. 

• Love 20
2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

This is the first time I have ever seen GS cookies sold. I bought mine in front of Trader Joe’s 🤣🤣🤣.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I always want to say.." Houston fraud department who do you wish to speak with.,"

• LOL 7

I'm getting tons of spam calls per day lately, at least 5 to 6 every day. Most of them are recordings so I can't pull the "FBI Fraud Division, how can I help you" line and my Android is terrible at filtering out spam calls. It's really annoying. 

• Love 5

I only answer my phone if it is one of my contacts.  Everyone else can leave a voicemail.  The only voicemails I get are ones about my expired car warranty.  Jokes on them, my car is a lease, and that lease expires in August.  I can just trade that bitch in early if something actually does go wrong.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Crush them up and mix them with ice cream. Yum!

1 hour ago, Zella said:

Got first dose of the Moderna vaccine about an hour ago. Other than some aches, I'm doing okay. They said they'd call us back for the second dose, but I'm assuming that will be around April 9. 

Me too! An hour ago, but mine was Pfizer. 

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I'm getting tons of spam calls per day lately, at least 5 to 6 every day. Most of them are recordings so I can't pull the "FBI Fraud Division, how can I help you" line and my Android is terrible at filtering out spam calls. It's really annoying. 

I got one today threatening me about something or other. I just block those numbers.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Crush them up and mix them with ice cream. Yum!

Me too! An hour ago, but mine was Pfizer. 

Nice! From what I can tell, we're Moderna only for the 2 local pharmacies. Not sure about the rest of our county. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

Nice! From what I can tell, we're Moderna only for the 2 local pharmacies. Not sure about the rest of our county. 

My mom got the Moderna. I think it depends on the vaccine site here. We also just got the J & J vaccine locally.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Do you now feel the urge to sing 9 to 5 or Jolene?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

"Jolene" is my favorite Dolly song, so definitely "Jolene." 

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I only answer my phone if it is one of my contacts.  Everyone else can leave a voicemail.  The only voicemails I get are ones about my expired car warranty.  Jokes on them, my car is a lease, and that lease expires in August.  I can just trade that bitch in early if something actually does go wrong.  

This is me. And then I block the number if it's spam, which it usually is.  

One of my friends gets calls about her car warranty. We always laugh because her cars are old. One is an 1988 and one is a 1991.  🤣 I'd say her warranty has been out for a number of years now. 

• Love 4