Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Stay safe, Denver peeps! My SIL in the desert Southwest is getting a huge windstorm with the same system except with blowing dust and sand. Her house is rattling and the sky is brown and the mountains have disappeared. Today is day 2 of this weather. She's so ready to move. 

Wow that sounds like hell. I live in Quebec and we typically don't get too much extreme or dangerous weather, but I hate how goddamn long the winter is here. It's ridiculous 😩 

3 minutes ago, Pinke said:

Wow that sounds like hell. I live in Quebec and we typically don't get too much extreme or dangerous weather, but I hate how goddamn long the winter is here. It's ridiculous 😩 

And a hellish summer will quickly follow. Weeks of over 100. No rain. Just sun. Ugh. They hope to move by the end of April. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Would someone please turn off the snow? 2 feet and still coming down hard the bullshit is that work still wants me to go to work on the overnight shift the mayor said no cars allowed on the road 

And the best news school is closed tomorrow. 

What do you do? Are you concerned essential? Can you refuse because it would be unsafe?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

And a hellish summer will quickly follow. Weeks of over 100. No rain. Just sun. Ugh. They hope to move by the end of April. 

Damn. Yeah hopefully they can move soon!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Pinke said:

Damn. Yeah hopefully they can move soon!

My brother in law is retiring from the army. Hopefully all his discharge stuff and outprocessing will go quickly and they can move back to Houston. 

• Love 4

We went to Walgreens for Mr. Six's Covid test, and the tech told us 5-7 business days for results.  I got an email from LabCorp this evening stating test results were ready.  I haven't had blood work done in quite some time, so I guessed it was for him.  It was!  His test was scheduled for 945am Saturday, and we had the results between 700-730pm tonight.  He tested NEGATIVE!!!  We couldn't find a rapid result location close by, but they still had it less than 24 hours.  All in all, I would recommend them for testing.  If I need one, that's where I'm heading.  He's still abiding by the quarantine procedures, so he won't be back in the office until Thursday, which would part of his normal week with the alternating schedules.  He was also give a letter to print out to carry at all times stating due to his job, he should be considered Class-C.  They have federal government contracts, along with extensive colleges and universities.  He may be getting both doses by mid-April.  As for me, my health concerns don't qualify for anything, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was in May or June.  I'm so happy my mom was able to get both.  My in-laws & 91-year-old great-grandma-in-law are all on their way, and now hubby has a fighting chance.  Woot!!  I'm good with the wait.

• Love 12
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Your photos are breathtaking! Omg....

Thank you. I love photography. One of my customers when I was a call girl got me started. He loved taking me out in nature and taking pics of me. And not the kind you would show your mother. Anyway, one day he asked if I'd like to try taking some pictures. I took a few of the sunset on the red rocks of Nevada. He was so impressed with one of my pictures, he enlarged it to poster size, had it framed and hung in his office. He got lots of compliments on it. I always thought it was so funny that one of his prized photographs was taken by a 17 year old call girl. 🤣 I wonder if he still has it. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 11

Wowzer. The snow was still falling when I went to bed last night and stopped during the night. As of yesterday afternoon (with more yet to fall) this became Denver's fourth largest snowstorm/blizzard on record. It was a huge storm system and dumped lots of snow all over the state. Digging out will be a big effort. I'm glad I didn't have to go anywhere this weekend. and don't today. Also extra-happy that our power stayed on. [ETA: Final total for Denver was 27.1 inches]

Fun fact: March is our snowiest month although thank goodness this kind of storm is rare. The heavy snow is good news for our drought-afflicted state. More typical spring snows fall one day and melt off the next; they're a mess while happening but don't last long or leave such a big mess behind.

I hope you're okay, @Rabbittron

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 9

We were 2+ weeks past our 2nd jab and we visited our grandkids for the first time in a year. CDC said we could hug our grandkids and we did! It was truly joyous and so normal to be with them. Our youngest grandkids are almost 2 year old twins and we have missed half of their lives. No more! We also brought gifts for all, including light up tutus for the twins. They immediately put them on and wore them all day! We had so much fun with all 5 kids, including playing soccer and monkey in the middle in the backyard and listening to the oldest two play piano and guitar. We'll be back the next 2 months for birthdays. That is so normal and I am so grateful!

Also our Rescue Relief checks will be deposited in our account on Wednesday. Happy St. Patrick's Day to us ☘️

• Love 22
14 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

So we took a day trip and did a little hiking. It was so nice to get out and get some fresh air. 

FB_IMG_1615768206281.jpg

FB_IMG_1615768208786.jpg

FB_IMG_1615768214466.jpg

Ooooooo! Pretty! How did you manage to post more than one photo? Every time I've tried that, I get told that it's too big. Not that I'm planning on inundating everyone in pictures, but sometimes it's  useful to post something like before/afters or whatnot.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

We're expecting to get hit with anything from freezing rain to snow to rain in the Midwest today.  I'm waiting.

Crazy weather period!

there is always one last real snow in March. I put my long coat back on today and gave Cosmo a short walk. The WIND makes it worst. Yesterday the wind was blowing so badly my eyes were watering. 

• Love 3

The window guy came by to measure the glass that had broken in my living room window. He asked what happened. I told him that I was hoping that he could answer that question for me. He said it was highly unusual. He kept insisting that it had a high speed impact on/from the inside. I don’t think he believed me when I said that just my cat was in the living room at the time of the explosion. Then came the million dollar question. Did I have a ghost. Well, I actually do. I think he really believes that the Captain (that is my ghost’s name) did it. I tried to explain that the Captain is mischievous, but never malicious. This was not quite the window measuring appointment I had expected. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Ooooooo! Pretty! How did you manage to post more than one photo? Every time I've tried that, I get told that it's too big. Not that I'm planning on inundating everyone in pictures, but sometimes it's  useful to post something like before/afters or whatnot.

I posted these on my Facebook page, and saved them to my phone. It makes them smaller somehow. The site still complained a bit. 

53 minutes ago, Suzn said:

What a gorgeous area!  Thanks for the pictures.  

You're welcome! 😊

Second covid shot done!! Heading back to work. 

• Love 11

That's wild, @Mindthinkr!

Maybe the Captain was just fooling around, but things got out of hand. Now I'm imagining a ghost accidentally busting a window, and being like, "OH SHIT!" and standing there trying not to make a sound when you come out into the living room all confused and angry. 😂

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm not @QuinnInND obvioiusly, but I use Photoshop to reduce the size of picture files so I can upload them here. Any good photo editing app should allow you to do that.

That said, I'm used to editing photos on my computer, and haven't done much as to downsizing picture files on phone or tablet apps, but I think it is do-able. 

• Love 5

Every Monday morning in class, I ask my tiny humans to share something fun or cute or interesting that happened over the weekend. One of them has a little sister who is 2. They also have a cat. Yesterday, their mom made them sandwiches for lunch. While mom went to put laundry in the dryer, the 2 year old got down from the table, took her sandwich (which was ham and cheese) put it in the cats litter box, dredged it thoroughly, and came back eating it.  Needless to say, mom freaked out, and the sandwich went into the garbage.  Gotta love kids. 🤣

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

Scarlett45, please accept my condolences upon the loss of your godmother.  Even though we expect it, it’s still painful.  And it changes us in ways we didn’t expect.  I hope your memories will help in coming days.  

• Love 4

Going back to the conversation about dolls and whatnot from another thread...

I didn't have Barbies. We were still living in England back when I was the right age for dolls, and I think that Barbies had made their way across the pond by then, but my parents thought that they looked rather sluttish (to steal an adjective from Jill R.), and allowed me to have a Sindy doll, which, though she did have boobs (which they thought was really pushing the limits as to what a doll should be), at least had a bit less makeup, and seemed a bit more wholesome than Barbie. Here's the closest thing I can find to mine, though she had brown hair. Same outfit, though...https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=m1DrBHjS&id=289D761A5BAA002A05584C6CA595DB2DED3F55A2&thid=OIP.m1DrBHjS1aN2S12ZTbRa3wHaJ6&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR9b50eb0478d2d5a3764b5d994db45adf%3frik%3dolU%2f7S3blaVsTA%26riu%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fi.ebayimg.com%2fimages%2fi%2f332126248845-0-1%2fs-l1000.jpg%26ehk%3dTPOz5eD9%2bU2xuTwO8tFuCueyWsidamtaijOZPD2Tgzo%3d%26risl%3d%26pid%3dImgRaw&exph=1000&expw=747&q=Sindy+dolls+uk&simid=608033375512103366&ck=2EB22275FAF591C6F19106622C6E41D4&selectedIndex=2&FORM=IRPRST

I also had a baby doll I loved that I named Elizabeth Jane, and a pretty blonde toddler-shaped doll I named Angela. Plus a marionette named Bill. I still actually have him, though he's terribly beaten up. And my teddy-bear, Tinker, that I got for my Christening when I was a baby. Remy still plays with him now 🥰 I'll take a pic of him someday. Guess all this should really be in the prayer closet by now....

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 5

No Barbies here, either. Among my mom's rules were no guns (she did not want us thinking guns were for fun) and no Barbies (she did not want to promote sex role stereotypes and an overemphasis on appearance). She also insisted on using correct terms for body parts and functions and she refused to use a sing-song voice or cutesy language with kids. We all cringed when one of the nurses at her care facility when she was dying used a sing-song voice and we spoke to the supervisor about it.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

No Barbies here, either. Among my mom's rules were no guns (she did not want us thinking guns were for fun) and no Barbies (she did not want to promote sex role stereotypes and an overemphasis on appearance). She also insisted on using correct terms for body parts and functions and she refused to use a sing-song voice or cutesy language with kids. We all cringed when one of the nurses at her care facility when she was dying used a sing-song voice and we spoke to the supervisor about it.

I think I love your mom!

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Same here. I’ve tried various ways but can never post pics on this site. 

I’m sure there are better ways, but the only way I can post my personal photos here is to put them on my phone, then post from my phone. My phone condenses the photo small enough.  I’ve tried apps to do the same thing for my computer, but they don’t work well.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I've tried multiple times to post screenshots from my phone, but they're always too large. I've tried cropping, to no avail. Can someone recommend a free photo editor? 😊

If it’s an iPhone, the easiest way I’ve found is to email them to myself and when it ask what size I want to mail them, choose medium   Sorry, no help regarding a photo editor. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I've tried multiple times to post screenshots from my phone, but they're always too large. I've tried cropping, to no avail. Can someone recommend a free photo editor? 😊

I use a free one called “resize image” on my iPhone.

2 hours ago, Mojitogirl said:

If it’s an iPhone, the easiest way I’ve found is to email them to myself and when it ask what size I want to mail them, choose medium   Sorry, no help regarding a photo editor. 

I email the picture to myself, also.  I send it as "small" and drag it to my desktop.  Then I insert it either by dragging it to the post I'm making, or choose the file.  So far, this has worked well for me.  Good luck.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I can't share the link from the app store for some reason.  But here's a screenshot. Another way I found that works is screenshot and then crop. That seems to satisfy the size requirements of the site. 

I got my second shot yesterday, and have no problems this morning. My arm isn't even sore.  Have a great day everyone! 

IMG_20210316_070112.jpg

• Love 6
7 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I email the picture to myself, also.  I send it as "small" and drag it to my desktop.  Then I insert it either by dragging it to the post I'm making, or choose the file.  So far, this has worked well for me.  Good luck.

That’s what I do. When the photo is texted from the cell phone, it’s condensed and then small enough.   I’ve tried apps to edit size, but found them unhelpful.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
25 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Per a radiology report, my youngest daughter has a 9mm Spinal Hemangioma.   She hasn’t spoken to the neurosurgeon yet. Does anyone have experience with this?

No, I don’t, but I wish your daughter well going forward. 🙏🏻

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Per a radiology report, my youngest daughter has a 9mm Spinal Hemangioma.   She hasn’t spoken to the neurosurgeon yet. Does anyone have experience with this?

Sorry, I don’t.  I wish her well though. I hope they’ll be able to provide some answers soon.  

• Love 4

Ginger90 ... I have a meningioma on my brain, and it is benign and insignificant? A doctor told me to think of it as a zit! It's been 30 years since it was diagnosed, and it has never been a problem. They found it while looking for a reason for my absentmindedness, but said it was in a spot where it couldn't possibly have any effect on my memory.  It did take some getting used to, and I don't often mention it, because people immediately think I'm going to die.  But benigh and insignificant were wonderful words to hear! If you look up hemaagiomas, it says many don't need treatment. Hoping for the best for your daughter!

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
34 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'd love to order something wonderful like that from Starbucks.  Do they do those yummy drinks in DeCaf?  TIA

Yes you can get frappucinos with decaf espresso, they also have Frapps with no coffee at all (that are always caffeine free).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes you can get frappucinos with decaf espresso, they also have Frapps with no coffee at all (that are always caffeine free).

I'd love to try one of them.  I've never been to Starbucks but see lines of cars around most of them.  I think next time I'm out I'll get in line and have one.  Can't have the caffeine due to AFib.

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'd love to try one of them.  I've never been to Starbucks but see lines of cars around most of them.  I think next time I'm out I'll get in line and have one.  Can't have the caffeine due to AFib.

I'm at Starbucks every Saturday (that's my confession from a non-Catholic), and I always recommend a Vanilla Bean Frappe for someone who has never had one.  It doesn't have caffeine, and it tastes like a vanilla milkshake.  You can always add syrups and whatnots as well.  I also recommend downloading the app.  You can earn stars, but it will also give you the ingredient list as long as you order it original.  Last piece of advice, order from a free-standing store as opposed to one in Target.  Those locations can be very limiting and may not get exclusive flavors (that last one made Mr. Six an unhappy Nitro-drinker).  I'm there enough to be recognized 😚,so if you have any questions, feel free to ask 🙂 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I ended up having two law school interviews today 😅 Luckily, I had already taken the day off of work for the first one, so when a request came in from a second school, I already had the afternoon free.

These two schools aren’t the highest ranked that I applied to, but they’re my top choices because they seem like good fits in other ways... and my stats are high enough above their averages that I’m hopeful that I’ll get some funding 🤞

I was soooooo nervous, and did a lot of prep (maybe too much!) but I think both interviews went really well. I think my enthusiasm for the schools really showed, and the interviewers thought I was a good fit for the same reasons I do. I should hear from at least one of them soon... 🤞🤞

This week is pretty stressful for me, so I’ve been trying to celebrate all the random holidays in it... pi day with blueberry pie, wine & olives & cheese for the Idea of March, and cabbage & corned beef & potatoes for St Patrick’s Day — whatever gets you through, right? 😂 

I also celebrate the Ides of March!

• Love 6