Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I agree that numbing gel is more of an emotional comfort than a pain reducer.

I'm not big on doctor visits and have an extreme fear of dentists, so the pandemic has kind of let me off the hook, in that respect. And there's no way I'd feel comfortable with my mouth unmasked wide open anywhere. But by April I will be two weeks post second covid jab. Yay and ugh!

I've gotten my haircut twice in the last year. Once in my hairdresser's driveway and the second time in her shop. I scheduled the appointment first thing on a Monday morning, figuring the air is cleaner. Just a cut, a short hairstyle, in and out. I've been coloring my own hair since the summer. I went a few months thinking I would finally go gray. I found out I'm much more vain than I thought I was, and slapped that dye on my hair so I'd stop scaring myself every time I caught my reflection.

Crazy great and a little nerve wracking that by next winter we may have the option to safely go mask free. When I think about it, my masks brings me some comfort, like a (weak) force field protecting me. Its going to be hard to let it go, but also great to be able to breath freely and smile.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, thehorseofpower said:

Random question for anyone who's had a cavity filled recently....was it standard procedure to have a numbing gel applied to your gums before getting the Novocain shot? I had my very first cavity filled this morning, which I was really dreading. I'm 38 and have never had a cavity before now, and it was a very unpleasant surprise.

I had my very first cavity filled this summer at 34 (right before my bday) and I was traumatized by the thought because like you, I had never had a cavity before!!! Yes the put the numbing gel on it. The cavity filling wasnt so bad, I am not afraid of needles, but I didnt like having a half numb mouth for the rest of the day afterwards and worrying about biting my tongue while I ate dinner. I took 2 ibuprofen before bed and the next day I was A-ok.

@Jynnan tonnix you look pretty. 

• Love 9
(edited)

You look good, @Jynnan tonnix

The pandemic was also a growing-out-the-hair-dye event for me. I'm a natural ash blonde, but my hair started going dull as I aged and my then hair stylist began coloring it. I didn't mind, because the color also gave my hair some much-needed body. Then, in late 2019 last year I broke up with my stylist after 20+ YEARS, and found a stylist who I like and who's practically around the corner from where I live, no less.

When our governor ordered salons shut down last spring, it was literally a day or two before my next hair appointment. Dang. I was already in need of another color and cut. My hair had gotten to where the roots def showed as the dye grew out, and as the color was lighter than the dye I looked kind of bald. 😟 But, there was nothing to be done. 

I didn't dare cut my hair. I can't even remember how long it was before my next haircut, but when I went back my stylist and I decided to just let the natural color grow out. It's gone silver everywhere except that at the very bottom at the back it shades down to a soft darker color. I'm very happy with it. I use a shampoo that's supposed to bring out the silver color and suppress brassy tones and I think it helps. 

BTW, my stylist isn't in a typical salon. She's in a one-person "salon" with a door that completely closes, with its own sink, etc. It's not one of those Sola branded setups but is the same idea. A commercial space has been remodeled into a bunch of individual rooms that open off a hallway. So it's just her and her customer. They have rules limiting how people can move around; you can no longer go sit out in the common hallway or lobby (like when waiting for your appointment, etc.). You have to wait for your stylist to let you in the front door and they do the "COVID theater" of checking your temperature and of course everybody is masked. Of course it's not foolproof but I've been okay with it.

OTOH I decided I wasn't comfortable with the risks involved with getting a pedicure in a local nail shop. My hair stylist goes there and since she was comfortable with their sanitation measures, when our state's numbers were looking better and things loosened up a little I had a pedicure there. I think it was sometime in the summer. They had a lot of measures in place including a big plexiglass screen hanging between me and the person giving the pedicure. But I felt uncomfortable as it was a salon really full of workers and customers and I haven't been back. My poor old feets don't look as nice when I do the self-care thing but for now that's just how it's going to be.

Edited by Jeeves
to correct a date
  • Love 10

There was a story on CNN last May about two hair stylist who worked in the same salon.  They both worked for a couple of weeks with mild symptoms of covid-19 and indeed, they both tested positive for it.  Between the two, they had cut something like two hundred heads and not a single case of covid-19 was traced back to that salon.  Both stylists always wore masks, as mandated, and so did the customer.  Masks really do work.

At the very beginning of the pandemic, early last March, I got in to get my haircut.  I have layered, jaw length, thick but fine hair.  I just go to Great Clips, but I really like how she thins and point cuts my hair.

Then everything was locked down for nearly three months and when reopened, there were really strict protocols in place. Sign in on-line, wait at the door until they come get you, answer health questions, hand sanitizer, one client at a time, and all wear masks at all times.  I go every three months and have felt safe.

It's the same protocols at my dentist, and includes temperature and blood oxygen checks.  Staff wear N95 masks plus plastic face shields.  Tomorrow I go for my second routine cleaning during the pandemic.  Besides cleanings, I've been in twice to be fitted for a new night guard.  I think the staff is much more at risk than the patient, since we have to remove the mask. Their mask and shield protect us.

• Love 8

Hello everyone, I have been very busy with work and helping my Mom manage my god mother's care. I am glad she is receiving the medical care and supervision she needs now and is as comfortable as she can be considering. A couple of days ago she had the nurses call my Mom "M, should I change the color of my wig?" Her periods of alertness are further and further a part, but I am glad she isn't scared or confused.

Supposedly there is a conspiracy between my Mom and her youngest daughter to keep her away from her husband (rolling my eyes). I can feel for him on a human level because I do think he is not well psychologically with everything going on, BUT no one is allowed to speak to my Mother that way. NO ONE. His own kids can deal with him. 

Cosmo is doing well, getting all of the love and attention and walks- especially now that the side walk is clear, BY GOLLY its so much easier walking him. 

• Love 16

To be honest, I never go to the hair salon or dentist anyway.

I mean, I go to the dentist if I have a bad toothache or maybe every couple years to take advantage of my dental insurance for once, but I haven't been since like 2018 or 2019 -- and not planning to go again anytime soon. I had HORRIBLE teeth as a kid, like the dentist literally covered some of my back baby teeth in metal, like a weird first-grader grill 🤣 Since my mid-twenties, I haven't really had any dental emergencies, though, and never got into the practice of going to the dentist "just because"... so I basically never go. Last time I went, the dentist was super complimentary, and was like, "I wish all my patients were like you!" and also told me that all my teeth have this extra calcium/density that means they're more sensitive to cold but are also super strong. So, especially after that reassurance, I figure no news is good news.

I chalk my current good dental health to believing that cheese was a health food until I was maybe 26 years old (I mean that literally, I would force myself to add cheese to meals because it was healthy), eating plenty of dairy otherwise, and drinking a TON of fluoridated tap water, both as coffee and regular water. My father grew up without fluoridated water and his teeth have been a nightmare his whole life, so I am super grateful for what they put in the water...and am also too cheap to buy bottled regularly. Yes, tap does taste worse (it was genuinely horrible in LA), but I'm not made of money and there's good, healthy water coming out of the tap 🤣 Oh yeah, and I luckily don't have a sweet tooth. I eat WAY too much junk, but I like savory more than sweet, so what I mostly mean is that I eat WAY too much popcorn!

Last time I went to the hairdresser was nearly 5 years ago, when I was last looking for work. Otherwise, I use box dye and cut my hair myself. Honestly, I am too cheap for the hairdresser, especially when it comes to getting my hair professionally dyed. I have been going grey since I was around 20 -- I had my first grey hair at four years old! So I've been dying out the grey for a really, really long time now, nearly 15 years, and while I think a professional dye job would look better, thankfully it looks natural enough.

@Jynnan tonnix your hair looks fantastic! Nice job on the cut 😁

• Love 9

@Jynnan tonnix, you look lovely! 

I had a dermatologist appointment Monday, an eye appointment tomorrow, and a dentist appointment on Monday. I have gone back to my hairstylist; the salon has lots of precautions in place so I feel ok going in. I got a pedicure last month and have a mani/pedi schedule for the end of this month. I try to get the first appointment of the day, since everything has been disinfected overnight and am one of the first people in that day. Other than that I typically go to the grocery once a week, so I feel like my risk is pretty low, even with the appointments (rates are low and masking is required/people actually wear them here). 

• Love 11

My husband and daughter have both been to the dentist recently, but I still haven't been since Covid.  I think it's been about 16 months, and I dread what they'll find when I finally go.  I've been cutting my teenage daughter's hair, which was scary at first, but she hasn't flipped out on me yet.  My daughter does my husband's haircuts with a hair trimmer set I got for cheap at the end of 2019.   They have fun with it and she gives him funny cuts that she fixes afterwards.   My hair is curly and I've been trimming it myself since I was 18.  The curls give me margin for error.  My daughter and I have always done our own nails or sometimes we do each other's nails.  Nice bonding time.  The one thing all 3 of us need are eye exams and new glasses.  I can tell my prescription isn't right anymore and I have a feeling it's true for them too.  But I keep thinking about how close the optometrist has to get to your face when doing an eye exam, and I think, ok I will wait a LITTLE longer.

• Love 7

This conversation is timely, as I have a hair appointment tonight! I have extensions (thank you, thyroid disease hair loss) so I have to go pretty regularly to move them up. I've actually felt safer at the salon than I have at the grocery store, so I started going back regularly once the salons opened back up here. My stylist is in a big salon but they've limited the number of people who are in the salon at one time, closed down stations so there is social distancing, enforce masking, take your temp when you come in, etc. I think there have been 8 people total during the most crowded time I've been there, so it feels safe (who knows if that's reality or not). I did realize last week that I've got some hair breakage along the top of my head, which is totally my own fault. I've been wearing a ponytail almost every single day for a year and my fine hair can't take that anymore. So now I'm going hard core into babying my hair to try and get it to grow out and trim off the breakage.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, anyasmom said:

The one thing all 3 of us need are eye exams and new glasses.  I can tell my prescription isn't right anymore and I have a feeling it's true for them too.  But I keep thinking about how close the optometrist has to get to your face when doing an eye exam, and I think, ok I will wait a LITTLE longer.

I wouldn't wait on new glasses or new contacts. Not trying to tell you what to do, but I wouldn't want you guys to have headaches daily or be impacted driving because your prescription is old. Of course I know you know what youre doing, for me the eye appointment would be the FIRST place I would go, I need to see and thats my "weakest point". My teeth can wait.

I have had all my usual appointments at the right time- dentist ( I still have to find a new dentist, everywhere by me has limited hours!!), Pap smear and eye appointment with the proper precautions in place and have felt fine. We do also get our nails done once a month. Given I go no where else, (WFH and have most of my groceries delivered) my touch point among people is low. I have done more running around assisting with my godmother's care in the last two weeks than I have in the last three months.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I finally just decided to cut my own hair about three weeks ago...It had not been done since January of 2000, and was getting to be close to bra-strap length when wet (a bit past my shoulders dry). My hair grows pretty fast, but when it gets to about that length, it doesn't get any longer, just starts thinning, so I really needed to do something, and wasn't about to risk a salon after having been good for a year. Since my hair is curly, it's pretty forgiving, I have cut it myself in the past, but never without a bit of trepidation. This time, I took an extra risk with it, and used a technique I'd seen in a video (in which it was being done by a hairdresser), of taking individual chunks of curl, and cutting them with the scissors angled so that the curl was cut from a somewhat short start down to the length I ultimately wanted it, taking a bit more hair with each tiny diagonal snip (I don't know if that describes it). I just sort of remembered having had a similar technique used the last time I had my hair cut, which was by a Deva Curl trained stylist and set me back $100, with the tip. So I really wasn't in that much of a hurry to drop that sort of cash on a haircut too soon anyway. She had told me it would last about 6 months before needing to be redone, but it had been over twice that.

In any case, I was actually really happy with the way it turned out. Starting the cuts a bit shorter than I had them done last time seemed to have done the trick of giving me more sort of random curls all around, which was what I was envisioning. It's so hard to describe, so here's a picture.

149987101_10158924460202778_6370390840759302022_o.jpg

You look very pretty!

• Love 8

I've put off everything--eye exam, dental appointment, steroid injections for allergies. (That last one is really coming back to bite me in the ass as the weather warms up here.) 

I have a tendency toward eye strain, so I know I need to get my prescription checked, but I'm not really comfortable doing that until I'm 2 weeks past a 2nd shot. 

As for the dentist, I am less worried about that. I was fortunate to inherit my grandmother's good teeth, so missing the regular cleanings is inconvenient but not detrimental. I'm also due their regular dental X-rays, and honestly, I will gladly keep postponing to avoid that. I have a super sensitive gag reflex and apparently a tiny mouth, so even with them using the bite wings for kids on me, it still takes over an hour and always involves vomit. I'm thinking the poor dental hygienists are as happy not to see me for that as I am not to see them. 

• Love 8

I have been putting off getting my wisdom teeth pulled. But that’s because I hate going to the dentist. 

Other than that got a new eye prescription and 2 haircuts in a year. Of course I resemble a man now since I get a buzz cut. So many people tell me I’m ugly with short hair it’s not even funny. 

This Friday movie theaters are reopening at 25% capacity. I am not going to the movies any time soon.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I have been putting off getting my wisdom teeth pulled. But that’s because I hate going to the dentist. 

Other than that got a new eye prescription and 2 haircuts in a year. Of course I resemble a man now since I get a buzz cut. So many people tell me I’m ugly with short hair it’s not even funny. 

This Friday movie theaters are reopening at 25% capacity. I am not going to the movies any time soon.

I doubt you're ugly or look like a man. People are so rude. 

• Love 11

I've had eye exams, dental and periodontal cleanings, annual doctor visit and a mammogram since this whole thing started.  I had periodontal surgery last week 😞  He used gel before giving me the shots so all I felt was a bit of a prick.  Downside was I needed another numbing shot part way through the surgery 😞  All of my medical visits have had limits on the number of people in the waiting room, masks worn by everyone, and lots of temperature taking.  The dental folks all wore masks with face shields over them.  I felt pretty safe.  

Funny enough, I got my hair cut last night too.  My stylist is in a separate room, disinfects every thing between cuts. and was wearing a cloth mask over an N95 mask.  I kept my mask on the whole time as well. 

I've been so very careful but am afraid that I will get sick the week I can get my shot.

• Love 8

@Jynnan tonnix, wow - your haircut looks fabulous! If I could make my hair look that good, I'd never spend the money on a salon cut again.

So it sounds like that numbing gel is pretty standard. 🤔 Guess my dentist just doesn't think it's that important. The big advantage for me was that it numbed that initial sharp sting of the needle going in and kept me from jumping in response. Sitting there waiting for that sharp poke of the needle going in is the worst part of any shot for me...so even though I still felt it going in once it got past the numbed outer layer, it felt more like super uncomfortable pressure rather than stinging pain. 

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

I've had eye exams, dental and periodontal cleanings, annual doctor visit and a mammogram since this whole thing started.  I had periodontal surgery last week 😞  He used gel before giving me the shots so all I felt was a bit of a prick.  Downside was I needed another numbing shot part way through the surgery 😞  All of my medical visits have had limits on the number of people in the waiting room, masks worn by everyone, and lots of temperature taking.  The dental folks all wore masks with face shields over them.  I felt pretty safe.  

Funny enough, I got my hair cut last night too.  My stylist is in a separate room, disinfects every thing between cuts. and was wearing a cloth mask over an N95 mask.  I kept my mask on the whole time as well. 

I've been so very careful but am afraid that I will get sick the week I can get my shot.

I've had two dental cleanings, an eye exam, mammogram and annual exam during covid. I haven't done much of anything else and now I'm vaccinated. BUT yesterday my husband wanted to go see if we won a car (ha!) at a dealership near us. Spoiler alert: we won the crappy ear buds. Anyway, hubby really wanted to show me a car he had his eye on. Well! Every salesman in the joint was wearing their masks under their noses. The salesman who wanted to take us for a test drive kept fumbling with his dirty looking paper mask that was on his chin. I kept backing up (luckily people were spaced) and said no thanks! We left and I told Mr. BetyBee that I was not about to go for a ride in a car with that guy even if we are double masked and vaccinated! Sheesh! 

Anyway, my hair is really long and getting it cut is the one thing I haven't done for myself. I do need a cut, but I've hesitated since my favorite stylist has disappeared. I should just do it before summer. OTOH, I like being able to have a ponytail. 

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah. I love that style!  You should do a demonstration video for You tube next time.  

I don't know that I would be able to manage that! LOL...With that sort of pressure, I'd likely snip myself bald! As it was, I spent about three days snipping little bits and pieces of things that annoyed me before I could really call it done. Here's the pile of hair I chopped off in the first attack. I think I took about five inches off in total. The inspiration for the cut came, actually from a you tube channel called "Welcome to my Curls", which, oddly enough, I had first gone to because something popped up about her adopting a dog, and I watched a few clips of that story before deciding that her hair story might be worth checking out as well. Here's the episode, though I don't know whether the link will work. She seems like a real sweetie, and worth checking out. HOW TO CUT CURLY HAIR ~ MEET MY HAIRDRESSER ~ TIPS & TRICKS TO CUTTING CURLY HAIR - YouTube 

149177724_10158916735172778_5259662296876510082_o.jpg

• Love 5
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

I doubt you're ugly or look like a man. People are so rude. 

I got low self esteem as is and now I just want to cry every time someone insults me. 

And the next person who tries to convert me will get yelled at!!! 

46 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't know that I would be able to manage that! LOL...With that sort of pressure, I'd likely snip myself bald! As it was, I spent about three days snipping little bits and pieces of things that annoyed me before I could really call it done. Here's the pile of hair I chopped off in the first attack. I think I took about five inches off in total. The inspiration for the cut came, actually from a you tube channel called "Welcome to my Curls", which, oddly enough, I had first gone to because something popped up about her adopting a dog, and I watched a few clips of that story before deciding that her hair story might be worth checking out as well. Here's the episode, though I don't know whether the link will work. She seems like a real sweetie, and worth checking out. HOW TO CUT CURLY HAIR ~ MEET MY HAIRDRESSER ~ TIPS & TRICKS TO CUTTING CURLY HAIR - YouTube 

149177724_10158916735172778_5259662296876510082_o.jpg

It would take me 5 years to grow that much hair. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I got low self esteem as is and now I just want to cry every time someone insults me. 

Tell them to fuck off. I'll kick their asses. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Do YOU like your short hair? Because that’s what matters.

6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Has Alec been in anything besides SNL lately? I'm wondering how he's going to afford all these full time nannies for the next 18+ years. 

I don’t think he’s going to have to worry about money 🤷‍♀️. He’s been hosting Match Game for about 5 years. 

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don’t think he’s going to have to worry about money 🤷‍♀️.

You know, you’d think that? But Larry King’s estate was only $2 million. Anthony Bourdain’s was less than that. Apparently the expenses for that lifestyle are pretty high...or they choose them that way. I was shocked.

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

You know, you’d think that? But Larry King’s estate was only $2 million. Anthony Bourdain’s was less than that. Apparently the expenses for that lifestyle are pretty high...or they choose them that way. I was shocked.

Bourdain paid around $500,000 to a young man accusing his then girlfriend of sexual misconduct. That money well managed would have gone a long way taking care of his young daughter. The things we do for love (?). 

25 minutes ago, SMama said:

Bourdain paid around $500,000 to a young man accusing his then girlfriend of sexual misconduct. That money well managed would have gone a long way taking care of his young daughter. The things we do for love (?). 

Poor stupid man.

4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Has Alec been in anything besides SNL lately? I'm wondering how he's going to afford all these full time nannies for the next 18+ years. 

Not that I can think of. They will be broke in 5 years max. They had 4 nannies before these 2 babies. Alec must have a HUGE life insurance policy.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Nursing Homes in NC are opening up for visitors with certain restrictions.  I know a lot of people are looking forward to this.  

That is so nice.  My mother is in an Assisted Living facility in California, and my brother and I can only "visit" through the window.  She doesn't understand why she can't go out, and no one can come in to visit.  It is really terrible.  We were told maybe this week we could go inside, but 2 workers tested positive, so now we have to wait until everyone tests negative twice--so 4 more weeks.  All the residents have been vaccinated, so I don't see why they can't have an in-person visit with someone who has been vaccinated.  So she just sits all day.  She doesn't realize she has a TV, so she does nothing all day, every day.  Hopefully they can have the residents get together soon, but my mom won't participate even if they do.  Something has to give pretty soon.  (But at least I know she is fed, her apartment is clean, she is clean and safe and in the best place for her.)

• Love 8
(edited)
18 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

That is so nice.  My mother is in an Assisted Living facility in California, and my brother and I can only "visit" through the window.  She doesn't understand why she can't go out, and no one can come in to visit.  It is really terrible.  We were told maybe this week we could go inside, but 2 workers tested positive, so now we have to wait until everyone tests negative twice--so 4 more weeks.  All the residents have been vaccinated, so I don't see why they can't have an in-person visit with someone who has been vaccinated.  So she just sits all day.  She doesn't realize she has a TV, so she does nothing all day, every day.  Hopefully they can have the residents get together soon, but my mom won't participate even if they do.  Something has to give pretty soon.  (But at least I know she is fed, her apartment is clean, she is clean and safe and in the best place for her.)

Oh, I know it must be so difficult.  I had something similar with my cousin that I took care of.  She had severe dementia and it was difficult to visit through the window at Memory Care when covid hit. She couldn’t focus and was was in severe stage.  I like to think she still knew in her heart that she was loved and cared for.  Even though it seemed like she just sat all day, for her she had the enrichment that she could handle....kind voices of the staff talking nicely, the smells of the food, the sound of the tv shows  and music, and the sensation of her pillows, soft gowns, etc.   

I hope you are able to see her soon.  Will they allow an outside visit in the courtyard?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

I’m so sorry, @CalicoKitty. My mother was in the same situation all last spring and summer and there wasn’t anything I could do about it from 2400 miles away other than send her chocolates and fruitcake and try to talk to her on the phone, which got harder and harder.

It was out of my hands, though...just as it has been out of yours. You really have done everything you could in a freak situation, so try to be kind to yourself, yes?

I hope you can see her soon.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope you are able to see her soon.  Will they allow an outside visit in the courtyard?

No, we can see her only through the window.  She would have to be in quarantine if she came outside.  Fortunately, she does have an outside window that looks out to the street and a park.  Most of the rooms only have a courtyard view with no access to a "public" window.  She is incapable of using a phone, but my brother and I are exploring the Amazon Show which we think we can set up to "drop in" on her and visit.  We were so hoping that they were going to open this week so we could actually be in the same room.  Just a sad situation all around.  I'm so thankful my dad passed just before the pandemic hit.  I can't imagine worrying about him just lying in bed unable to speak or swallow.

Thank you for your kind words.  This is not fun!

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

That is so nice.  My mother is in an Assisted Living facility in California, and my brother and I can only "visit" through the window.  She doesn't understand why she can't go out, and no one can come in to visit.

My mother is in memory care here in California.  I can visit her outside staying six feet apart.  She has finally accepted having to wear a mask and gloves to visit.  They have allowed the residents to mingle from the beginning as long as they don't leave the facility.  Anyone who goes out for any reason has to quarantine in their room after their return.  

I'm hoping when the new CDC guidance for vaccinated people comes out it will permit in person contact for fully vaccinated long term care residents and their fully vaccinated family members.

• Love 10

For anyone wanting to try Discovery+, try using the code HOLIDAY2020. The redeem code box is at the top of the page. It will ask you to create an account, but it doesn’t ask for credit card/payment info. The offer is for one year, ad-free. 

I hope to do a more in-depth post tomorrow, but I did want to wish @QuinnInND a Happy Belated Birthday!!

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Absolom said:

My mother is in memory care here in California.  I can visit her outside staying six feet apart.  She has finally accepted having to wear a mask and gloves to visit.  They have allowed the residents to mingle from the beginning as long as they don't leave the facility.  Anyone who goes out for any reason has to quarantine in their room after their return.  

I'm hoping when the new CDC guidance for vaccinated people comes out it will permit in person contact for fully vaccinated long term care residents and their fully vaccinated family members.

That would be nice--it would allow my sister, at least, to visit my dad. He is fully vaccinated and she gets her first shot on Sunday. He is in memory care in Indiana, about 50 miles from where my sister lives and 2500 miles from me in the SF Bay Area. I last saw him in May or June of 2029 because we had to cancel our scheduled visit for his birthday in late March/early April 2020. They are allowing masked, distanced outdoor visits but are enforcing physical distancing even between residents inside the facility. He is difficult to get on the phone because he doesn't hear it and/or doesn't remember how to use it. Sometimes I wonder if I will see him again.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, sixlets said:

For anyone wanting to try Discovery+, try using the code HOLIDAY2020. The redeem code box is at the top of the page. It will ask you to create an account, but it doesn’t ask for credit card/payment info. The offer is for one year, ad-free. 

I hope to do a more in-depth post tomorrow, but I did want to wish @QuinnInND a Happy Belated Birthday!!

The code did not work for me. Thanks for sharing anyway.