Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I think I have a crush on Cosmo.  

I don’t know if I agree with age being only a number.  Mine has suddenly become a large number.  I’ve recently had 3 eye surgeries (2 surgeries and a laser).  I need a knee replacement.  I have back issues.  I’ve recently been prescribed yet another medication.  I own a pill divider like old people like my parents did.  The ones I teased them about.  I don’t need a mortgage, but if I did, I’m too Friggin OLD to get a 30 year mortgage.  I work from home and make decent money, but also realize if I had to go get a paying job outside I’d have very limited options.  This, from someone who was THE BOSS for most of my working life.  

and yet.  On the inside, I’m 25.  On the inside, I can work 36 hrs straight and driver on time.  I can walk 5 miles and not cry when I see the stairs (upward) at the end.  I can drive in the rain.  I can watch Netflix all night and keep kids the next day.   I can stand in front of a mirror and not think “who is THAT old woman???”.   

I have 2 grands who are very old souls.  They’re 18 yr old cousins, but both around 35. My husband was born 50 years old.  I told you I robbed the cradle - he’s ten years younger but 20 years older.  The ONLY nod he makes to his own age is music.  Other than Nirvana, he should have been on Medicaid for at least 20 years.  Grumpy old fart.  

• Love 13

This is so ridiculous, but because of all my big personal news last week, it suddenly feels like my life is upside down. The law school itself is emailing me every day wanting me to commit (I will! But I haven’t even had a chance to read all these emails yet!). My boss wants to know if I want to go part time or hourly when law school starts, and she needs to know within the next couple weeks. Suddenly, I’m looking at houses because I need to buy and move before classes begin in August. My boyfriend and I will be moving in together into that new house, which is very happy and exciting but also a big change. I applied to a public sector job last week, and now they need me to complete a high-stakes, two-hour assessment within seven days. And I have my last (and hardest) CPA exam on Monday!!! I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed. Happy, but overwhelmed. Sometimes life comes at you so fast!

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, rue721 said:

This is so ridiculous, but because of all my big personal news last week, it suddenly feels like my life is upside down. The law school itself is emailing me every day wanting me to commit (I will! But I haven’t even had a chance to read all these emails yet!). My boss wants to know if I want to go part time or hourly when law school starts, and she needs to know within the next couple weeks. Suddenly, I’m looking at houses because I need to buy and move before classes begin in August. My boyfriend and I will be moving in together into that new house, which is very happy and exciting but also a big change. I applied to a public sector job last week, and now they need me to complete a high-stakes, two-hour assessment within seven days. And I have my last (and hardest) CPA exam on Monday!!! I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed. Happy, but overwhelmed. Sometimes life comes at you so fast!

Wow, that is a lot.  You are going to work during law school?  

I hope things fall into place real soon.  Good luck on the last exam. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Wow, that is a lot.  You are going to work during law school?  

I hope things fall into place real soon.  Good luck on the last exam. 

Yeah, I’m in the evening program. It’s still 10+ credits a semester, so it’s going to be pretty grueling. (Gulp).

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Yeah, I’m in the evening program. It’s still 10+ credits a semester, so it’s going to be pretty grueling. (Gulp).

My law school prohibited working during school year.  They didn’t offer evening classes.  I’m sure some people do it.  I can’t imagine though.  

• Love 3

Wow, @rue721, those are all wonderful things begging for your attention, but all together, that is a LOT! So many changes in such a short time. But you seem to be the queen of multitasking, so I’m sure it will all turn out wonderfully. Hope you can take at least some time for relaxation and “me time.”

So sorry, @Jeeves for the loss of your friend. May your beautiful memories console you. You are so kind to help the family now.

To @Jynnan tonnix, so sorry you are having to deal with those mother issues. I’m sure the reason she gets along so well with her younger friend is because your mother doesn’t spend time telling her what she is doing wrong. Mother/daughter relationships can be so complicated. You are an adult, and however your house, garden or other elements of your life are, your comfort zone is all that matters. Try not to let her get you down. 
I like your method of handling your dad, @SunnyBeBe, say yes, and then do exactly as you please.

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, rue721 said:

That’s a lot! Will you have time to study/sleep???

Good luck and congratulations again on all your accomplishments!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

Are you planning on buying a house with your boyfriend? That does seem like a huge step.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

How very thoughtful of all of you. His family will love it.

2 hours ago, rue721 said:

@jcbrown The book sounds like a wonderful gift, your friend’s son will treasure it.

(Quote boxes are messed up, sorry.) Thanks to both of you. It felt right to our group but I wasn't sure how it would read outside of it. I appreciate your thoughts.

How funny it is, I keep thinking, that this board is actually one of my supports during this pandemic. Somehow, we created something exceptional here. Thanks, peeps. (I am way too old to call you peeps.)

• Love 12
7 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Are you planning on buying a house with your boyfriend? That does seem like a huge step.

No, the mortgage and deed will be in my name only. It’s just too big a step to buy property together, considering we’re not married! But we’ll both be moving into the house together.

A couple of my friends think that’s unfair, because he’ll be contributing to the household and helping pay the mortgage but not getting any equity... but he and I talked about it and this is the way we both prefer.

The truth is that I think we will get married, and probably not that far off in the future, but we’re trying not to be too impulsive. Like we decided to wait a year before moving in together. We’re also both of the mind that it’s better to live with someone before moving on to more commitments, like marriage and kids.

The truth is that I’m very nervous about working while going to school in such a demanding program, but I guess if it’s just too much then I’ll have to leave work for a while or at least cut back. One of the reasons that I’m busting so hard to get my CPA beforehand is because I can make more per hour or even hang out my own shingle that way, and I want to have that flexibility during school.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
On 3/21/2021 at 11:56 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I’d be happy to do it for you. 

Me too - it would have a Chicago area marking.  

I've never changed Mom in my phone, it's the other dna donor of course calling, but I'll never change it.  

Jynnan come sit next to me, it'll be five years this April for my mom being gone and she's still trippin' me up.  I don't know if I'm just feeling it because it's the five year mark or what, but she's been on my mind lately.  Occasionally the offspring will help me clean over at my dad's and we were there recently, though I really can't account for 'clean' because every time we barely scratch the surface, and every time I leave I feel like we accomplish nothing.  We might go over on Good Friday for a couple of hours just to try and sort out the kitchen.  My anger at him just never lessens, there's so much that he could do for himself but never has and never will.  I hate to accept help for anything myself, but he seems to enjoy everybody doing for him.  Ugh.  Anyway, whilst in the last 'throw it out' fest I was having I found some half written letters of hers in a notebook, ones she'd started but never finished...and they are heartbreaking when you look at how her penmanship was reflecting how she felt and what she was really saying, though I did laugh when she mentioned I'd brought soup over and it was too salty.  I think I'm still trying to find that shred of evidence that she loved me.  If nothing else all of this has taught me to be a better mother to my daughter, and to keep my trap shut and not criticize.  

I'm sorry about your friend Jeeves - please accept my condolences.     

• Love 9
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I laugh at my dad’s  bossing....he has to direct me turning around in the driveway, like I’m a new driver. When I take something to the mailbox, he tells me to put the flag up!  And, he tells me where to turn on roads I’ve driven for 40 years!   He tells me how to fold socks too. After balking for years, I stopped. I now, say yes sir and then do it my way.  It goes better like that.   

One of the biggest compliments I've ever been given was one time when my dad fell asleep on a trip when I was driving.  He hated being driven, as in would hit the imaginary brake/reach for the imaginary hand brake kind of hate. For him to fall asleep meant he actually trusted me!  (On the other hand, the fact that my mother was impressed that I passed the notoriously difficult British driving test was not a compliment.)

• Love 10
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

A couple of my friends think that’s unfair, because he’ll be contributing to the household and helping pay the mortgage but not getting any equity... but he and I talked about it and this is the way we both prefer.

I think its perfectly fair- he would have to pay rent/utilities/groceries somewhere else, being roommates with you would be cheaper than living alone and he has none of the risks of homeownership. (like unexpected bills etc) The only place you can live for free is with your Mom/Dad!

• Love 11

@Jeeves My heartfelt condolences and purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. I’m sorry that you have to deal with her estate, but it sounds like she trusted you and only you to execute it. I hope it goes easily for you. 
@Jynnan tonnix Especially as my mother was unable to handle her own affairs she became focused on running mine. Good luck to you, but try to cherish your time together. I’d give anything to have my Mom around even if it was just to criticize how I do things. 
@rue721 Take a deep breath. I have confidence that everything will fall into place although it will be hectic and nerve wracking as you are going through it. Happy house hunting and I hope your transitions run smoothly. 
@jcbrown I hope the book is cherished. It’s very thoughtful of you. (I’m tickled to be called one of your peeps). 

Hugs to everyone. I am also glad to have the insight and input from all of you as I navigate life. 
May the rest of your week be sunny. 

• Love 11
10 hours ago, rue721 said:

Wow! Breathe. You've got this. Better to be overwhelmed by happy news than sad news. ((((hugs))) 

• Love 5

@rue721 Ozziedad worked and went to law school at night but had a flexible job so he could take time off at finals time and work more during breaks. As a recently retired CPA I will say it does give you loads of options, it was a great profession for me. So it sounds like you have a good plan going forward. Best wishes to you.

@Jeeves so sorry about your friend, it’s never easy.

@Jynnan tonnix My mom was the same way, always correcting and advising. She passed away in January and I do miss her, but it’s a relief to not hear constant criticism. You sound like a lovely, caring and thoughtful person so hang in there!

• Love 11
3 hours ago, rue721 said:

No, the mortgage and deed will be in my name only. It’s just too big a step to buy property together, considering we’re not married! But we’ll both be moving into the house together.

The truth is that I think we will get married, and probably not that far off in the future, but we’re trying not to be too impulsive. Like we decided to wait a year before moving in together. We’re also both of the mind that it’s better to live with someone before moving on to more commitments, like marriage and kids.

The truth is that I’m very nervous about working while going to school in such a demanding program, but I guess if it’s just too much then I’ll have to leave work for a while or at least cut back. One of the reasons that I’m busting so hard to get my CPA beforehand is because I can make more per hour or even hang out my own shingle that way, and I want to have that flexibility during school.

I think keeping it all in your name is a good decision.   I’m not sure how long your program is, but I’d strive to keep things as simple as possible until graduation.  Can your boyfriend do things like yard work, house maintenance, etc to free you up for studying?  I might talk to other students from that law school who have worked part time and get their take on it.  Things have probably changed a lot since I was in school, but I was either in class or studying.  The daily reading assignments were much more than a human could complete....then briefing cases....it took all my focus and time.  Having your CPA license will give you a lot of options and flexibility though.  You already have fierce work and study skills, so you’ll do great.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, rue721 said:

Your partner isn't helping pay the mortgage, he's paying rent.  When your friends are in a similar situation, then might be the time for them to have an opinion.

Even buying a car together can cause stress, never mind a house.

Good for you for taking time to decide on/make the big marriage step.  It sounds as though you have a lot on your plate already; no need to take on more unnecessary stress.  You should look forward to and enjoy your wedding, if it happens.  And in the end, it's between you and your partner, not you and your friends.  Sometimes (often?) people need to butt out.  And yes, living together can highlight a lot of incompatibilities that may or may not be solvable.

• Love 11

Yours truly is afraid to wind up on an episode of dateline. My neighbor is beyond creepy and will not leave me alone. There is no avoiding his unwanted advances... 

Seriously how many times I have to say no and leave me alone. 

32 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Yours truly is afraid to wind up on an episode of dateline. My neighbor is beyond creepy and will not leave me alone. There is no avoiding his unwanted advances... 

Good grief. Maybe you or someone else needs to put the fear of God into him to leave you alone. Maybe call the police. Please be careful. 

So this is the last week of school before spring break. I asked my tiny humans what everyone was doing next week. Over half of them said they're going to go somewhere for spring break. Smh. 

My husband brought these home for me today. ❤️

FB_IMG_1616530393396.jpg

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 22

My grandparents got their second dose of the Moderna shot this morning. So far, they seem to be having less of a reaction than they did the first time around, with just some very mild fatigue. Will keep checking in on them--I suspect to the point of being annoying--since I know sometimes the side effects can be delayed by several hours, but my animal care services are currently not required.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

My husband brought these home for me today. ❤️

FB_IMG_1616530393396.jpg

Does your husband have a brother?  Twenty plus years of marriage and my ex-husband bought me flowers one time. And yes, the emphasis is on "ex".

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

our professor daughter has been dealing with a situation like this for a year. Friendly visits to the creepy guy from local police have been helpful. Title IX and workplace policies that got the would be lawyer expelled were better. but it was to the point we were warned by the police from another state of the danger we may be in and our DIL who is a medical dr with same last name as Dr professor daughter got warning to lock down her social media and remove any info she could from the internet so as not to be an accidental target of this guy who claims his only crime is "he fell in love".

edited to add - document, document, document all creepy activities. time, date any video, texts, record verbal interactions.

we sent professor daughter cameras that surveil her house and send video to her phone.

she has also had a safe house escape plan for a year. somewhere to bail if needed. make a plan be ready to act if needed

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 2
4 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Does your husband have a brother?  Twenty plus years of marriage and my ex-husband bought me flowers one time. And yes, the emphasis is on "ex".

He does, actually. But he's married too. 🤣 I'm sorry your ex was an ass and only brought you flowers once. 

• Love 6

Maybe you should consider getting a restraining order . What kind of advances are these? Is he touching you without consent? You could also emphasize that we’re still in the midst of a serious pandemic and social distancing is important. 

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Zella said:

My grandparents got their second dose of the Moderna shot this morning. So far, they seem to be having less of a reaction than they did the first time around, with just some very mild fatigue. Will keep checking in on them--I suspect to the point of being annoying--since I know sometimes the side effects can be delayed by several hours, but my animal care services are currently not required.

It's good to have an annoying granddaughter, let me know if you need me to remind them of that, lol. My symptoms after the second shot didn't kick in until about 10 or 11 hours afterwards. I was of the mindset that "oh, this isn't too bad, I'm fine" and then wham, I was on my ass. But again, 24 hours of misery vs. a lifetime of possible Covid side effects? I'll take it. 

• Love 16

I’m supposed to get my second vaccine on Friday. When I asked for an appointment (by phone call) I was told they they will call me with a time since I already have my first. Mind you this is a drive two counties up. Now I have to answer all those annoying calls from the car warranty people and fake police. Still no call with the time. I’m calling back tomorrow (it’s been 10 days). I don’t want to tie up their lines, or bug them, but I do need to make plans. I’m more nervous about not getting my vaccine than any side effects. 

Edited to add: I checked their website. They haven’t done an update since February. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, emma675 said:

It's good to have an annoying granddaughter, let me know if you need me to remind them of that, lol. My symptoms after the second shot didn't kick in until about 10 or 11 hours afterwards. I was of the mindset that "oh, this isn't too bad, I'm fine" and then wham, I was on my ass. But again, 24 hours of misery vs. a lifetime of possible Covid side effects? I'll take it. 

Thanks! I think they secretly enjoy the attention. 😄 They always tell me I'm the most diligent about checking on them. 

• Love 9

It seems to me a woman, girl is pretty much on her own from the creepy guys in our society.  Why is that?  Are the police on overload with creeps?

I remember years ago my mother and stepfather   having terrible screaming, punching, breaking fights.  It always took the police a long time to get there.  At 83 years of age and after 55 years of marriage they hauled his butt out of the house and he couldn't return until he completed anger management classes!

Something happened in society to suddenly not be allowed to get drunk and beat your wife!I

Hopefully before long stalkers will be addressed.  Women live in absolute fear.  I hope better days are coming for anybody in that situation!

• Love 7

Starting next Monday any adult in Texas will be able to get the Covid vaccine. I guess production and distribution of the vaccine has ramped up to the point where they have tons of supply now. It sounds like they will still prioritize the elderly and people who have compromised immune systems, but now anyone can register. I hope they have lines of people out the door every day, bring on herd immunity!

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 13

It seems some people in my extended family are not planning to get the vaccine....and they are high risk people who work with the public:(  I wonder if it’ll help if I remind them they can get free Krispy Kreme donuts for the rest of the year.  Did you see about that? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It seems some people in my extended family are not planning to get the vaccine....and they are high risk people who work with the public:(  I wonder if it’ll help if I remind them they can get free Krispy Kreme donuts for the rest of the year.  Did you see about that? 

I saw that! And apparently the anti vaxxers came out in force on Krispy Kreme's social media. No one can do nice things without someone screaming about it lately.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Starting next Monday any adult in Texas will be able to get the Covid vaccine. I guess production and distribution of the vaccine has ramped up to the point where they have tons of supply now. It sounds like they will still prioritize the elderly and people who have compromised immune systems, but now anyone can register. I hope they have lines of people out the door every day, bring on herd immunity!

My SIL said they've had extras in Odessa, Midland and Lubbock. People from El Paso have driven there to get them. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Really!?!?! Husband and son got their first shot in Frisco last week and when he goes in a month to get his second he was going to try to get me signed up too. I wonder if the sites will be overwhelmed again. Either way *screech* *rushes to see about signing up*

My mom in Massachusetts has her first shot scheduled for Sunday at the large vaccination site at the Natick Mall. Now, this is a woman who doesn't like to drive to places she doesn't know. For those unfamiliar with Natick, it's quite congested with some weird streets and the mall itself is huge. My brother is taking her there so she can see how to get there, but a friend also just offered to take her if she feels uncomfortable. (Which, this friend likes taking his son to the mall and hanging out as it is, so I don't feel so bad. And they weren't doing it during the lock down, so they are probably missing it!)

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

Really!?!?! Husband and son got their first shot in Frisco last week and when he goes in a month to get his second he was going to try to get me signed up too. I wonder if the sites will be overwhelmed again. Either way *screech* *rushes to see about signing up*

I think they are supposed to have a new site and 800 number in a day or two with more information on how to sign up. If I see it, I'll post it for you. 

• Love 6

Thank you @emma675! I hadn't been looking at the TX site for a while because I was pretty much waiting until I heard about opening up to the general population. And I didn't think it would happen until April so I'm surprised it's so soon. Pleasantly surprised and excited. It may still take a while because I hope (really, fervently, passionately hope) that a lot of people are going to try to sign up. But I'll wear my patience pants and know that eventually I'll get my jab.

Edited by frenchtoast
  • Love 9

One of our local tv stations has an app that alerts you to vaccine site openings as they become available.  If you have flexibility it’s a big help. One lady said she got the alert on her phone, grabbed her purse and hopped in her car.  She was in line in her car a few minutes later, where she got her vaccine quickly.  You might see if your local tv station has something similar.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I got my second shot today. I've got a massive headache and my body feels like I ran a marathon, all shaky & achy. Hopefully I'll feel better in the morning, if not, than I'm going to call in sick.

BUT, I'm making antibodies; I'm making antibodies!

• Love 21

Updates: 

I was able to get through to the Health Dept where I got my first vaccine this am. She told me they had been busy confirming a few things, but I would be getting a call either later today or tomorrow about what time to show up on Friday. Then I asked her if it would read Health Dept on my phone. She said no it would be an anonymous number so to answer all calls. I told her I had been and that I had a lot of car warranty, IRS and police dept calls (all scams). She laughed and said thank you for the laugh; that she needed one this morning. So it’s a matter of being glued to my phone. 

After the cost of replacing my window from the glass place was so expensive (more than putting in a new window in some instances) so I put the question out on the Next Door app. An Andersen Window specialist answered my query. Turns out he is in my neighborhood, ran an Andersen dealership for 30 years and was now doing it on a small scale as he was just trying to have something to do after retirement. He came by yesterday to measure the window. He said in all his years that he had never seen an inner window shattered the way mine was. He will send me an estimate by email. In trying to track down how it happened I jokingly told him that maybe it was my ghost. He agreed with me! I’m wondering what I have to do to appease the Captain (the ghost’s name) so that this doesn’t happen again. It will take a month to get a replacement. Thank goodness this happened before hurricane season. 

• Love 12

My grandparents seem to have avoided any nasty side effects for Moderna's second dose. My grandmother said she's having some very mild arm pain and swelling but nothing like for the first dose. I am so relieved! 

• Love 17

Glad to hear everybody can now get their vaccine shots.  A blessing for sure.  

Today I did my monthly run to Dollar Tree.  If you haven't entered those golden arches...lol...you haven't lived.  They have so many things all $1.00.

I had been buying some great Quaker Granola for my yogurt but they didn't have any today.  Darn it was really good too.

I did stumble upon cheese.  Yes cheese at the Dollar Tree.  One brick of Cheddar and one brick of Pepper Cheese.  I looked to see if it was from Wisconsin...lol silly me.  It's from Las Vegas, Nevada.  Interesting because I thought Vegas was gambling only.  Who knew they export cheese too.

I'm kind of a Cheese foodie so we'll see just how bad a $1.00 bar of cheese can be. 

42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I got my second shot today, too.   I made a conscious effort to relax my arm and it’s not even sore!  So....we’ll see how it goes.  I’m prepared to feel unwell, if it happens.  

Aaa that's the secret.  Relax the arm.  I just about dangled mine and no pain or anything then or after the shot.  Doesn't it feel good to have that protection of the vaccine.  Congratulations!

• Love 8