Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Big big night for Arkansas college basketball. Wonder if any of the Duggars watched.

I’m sure they did, but on a laptop to keep it holy!  

• LOL 9
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Of all the fundie quirks this one is the most head-scratching. Why does something become less sinful if you stream it over a laptop? 

It's control. The just can't flip on the TV and watch whatever. They have to have a password to get on the computer.   JMO. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

It's control. The just can't flip on the TV and watch whatever. They have to have a password to get on the computer.   JMO. 

Yeah but they're not watching Skinemax. They're watching March Madness. There's not going to be a Nike moment during March Madness.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Yeah but they're not watching Skinemax. They're watching March Madness. There's not going to be a Nike moment during March Madness.

Someone could flip to another channel. Who knows with these weirdos. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Of all the fundie quirks this one is the most head-scratching. Why does something become less sinful if you stream it over a laptop? 

That’s a great question.  I have a couple of friends who have huge hang ups about tv. I’m not sure why and I have known them for many years. This is not a religious thing with them.  They treat it like it’s a venomous snake.  They even get perturbed if I turn on the tv to watch the news or weather when we are on vacation!  Yet, they are never without their phone looking at social media, websites, shows, etc.  They have an exception of watching sports on the tv.  That’s ok.  I get the feeling they think the tv has the power of mind control. Lol I’m not kidding.  And these are not particularly religious people and both are highly educated.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

The Duggars have a huge retractable screen at the TTH. There’s plenty of pictures of them watching. They released a picture of way too many people watching A Charlie Brown  Christmas on a laptop. Their idea of damage control. Hypocrites. 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That’s a great question.  I have a couple of friends who have huge hang ups about tv. I’m not sure why and I have known them for many years. This is not a religious thing with them.  They treat it like it’s a venomous snake.  They even get perturbed if I turn on the tv to watch the news or weather when we are on vacation!  Yet, they are never without their phone looking at social media, websites, shows, etc.  They have an exception of watching sports on the tv.  That’s ok.  I get the feeling they think the tv has the power of mind control. Lol I’m not kidding.  And these are not particularly religious people and both are highly educated.  

I've noticed that some people seem to start shrieking "I don't watch tv" whenever you bring up a topic that's slightly thorny. It seems to be a way of saying "I don't want to talk about it so I'm going to say I don't watch tv." 

Some people also say "I don't read the news" although that's rarer. 

I also noticed that many people who say they don't watch tv will make an exception for sports too. Its weird.

• Love 4

I used to sort of date a guy (it was a weird relationship--I don't know why I wasted nearly 5 years of my life on that) who insisted he didn't watch TV. But he did. He watched The Walking Dead and Hannibal, among other things. And he wanted to talk to you about them even if you weren't interested. But if you mentioned something you had watched and that he would probably like, he would then smugly tell you he didn't watch TV. It annoyed me at the time, but I didn't realize how truly insufferable it was until after I was over him. He was an asshole. 

• Love 19

I know a few people like that too.  They claim they never watch tv, so I’ll inquire about music...they don’t listen to music either.  Reading....not really. They don’t buy books or magazines. They don’t frequent the library...And, they don’t do yoga, don’t work out, don’t work outside the home.......they eat very little, so aren’t cooking.... Don’t drink wine....Don’t do drugs.....Don’t meditate...So, I can’t figure out what they do all day and in the evenings. They have no minor children anymore. I actually don’t believe them anymore. (They do very little on social media, but that’s recent. For many years they claim they didn’t have internet.)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Did you ever do something and even hours later, you still can't help but say WTF?  That's how our day went.  The lease is up on my Crosstrek later this year, and we knew we didn't want another one.  Our first option was a 2021 Ford Escape.  We ordered a Tesla Model 3.  Mr. Six knows this is my dream car.  And he works so fucking hard every single day to support our little family, and it looks like my dream might come true.  With the way they work, we can walk away at any point, including after it's delivered to the dealer.  I have been blessed beyond measure in many ways, but this is a blessing of a lifetime.

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I know a few people like that too.  They claim they never watch tv, so I’ll inquire about music...they don’t listen to music either.  Reading....not really. They don’t buy books or magazines. They don’t frequent the library...And, they don’t do yoga, don’t work out, don’t work outside the home.......they eat very little, so aren’t cooking.... Don’t drink wine....Don’t do drugs.....Don’t meditate...So, I can’t figure out what they do all day and in the evenings. They have no minor children anymore. I actually don’t believe them anymore. 

Yes I think he liked being contrary and felt like it made him special? He became really insufferable after he started grad school. My breaking point was when he tried to argue with me that literacy was oppressive. WTF. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I had COVID in 2019. I still have antibodies. I want the vaccine so bad. Maybe in May.

Cookies, if you had COVID in 2019, you need to contact the CDC immediately.  Based on their data, the very first case of COVID in the US was diagnosed January 20, 2020 near Seattle and the patient in question had recently returned from Wuhan, China.  If you weren't in China in late 2019, someone needs to figure out how you caught an infection which wasn't seen in this country until 2020.  

Also, they need to investigate how you've managed to maintain such high antibody levels for so long.  Since you weren't hospitalized, you didn't have severe COVID and current research seems to indicate that those with non-severe COVID frequently don't have detectable antibody levels just a few months later.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/nation/2021/01/19/first-covid-case-us-year-anniversary-snohomish-county/4154942001/

• Useful 10
  • Love 13
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes I think he liked being contrary and felt like it made him special? He became really insufferable after he started grad school. My breaking point was when he tried to argue with me that literacy was oppressive. WTF. 

WTF indeed. That's an indefensible position, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 7

IMG_0418.jpg.b2c69082bf0a245424f3784d0f36321a.jpgTonight's cat blanket.  This time Lilly is sleeping with her head on my laptop, and Flora is using her for a pillow while totally stretched out on her back. (Lilly always seem to be the pillow).  I'm covered in cat from waist to toes.  As soon as I took the picture, they started a wrestling match on my lap.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

WTF indeed. That's an indefensible position, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah and he was an English major in college! What really pissed me off, too, is when I tried to explain to Mr. Stable Middle Class Background how empowering I found literacy as someone who came from a very blue-collar background and a really at times chaotic upbringing, he just basically did "oh so your experience is universal?" I don't think I have ever had anyone be so patronizing and condescending to me in my entire life. This happened a few years ago, but it still makes me really angry. 

Several mutual acquaintances seemed to wonder why that relationship just collapsed so suddenly, and I didn't actually tell them for a long time because I kept wondering if I somehow hallucinated that entire conversation. But when I finally did, one of my fellow hillbilly done good friends also got really pissed off at him on my behalf, so he's been unceremoniously ejected from that larger friend group. I don't think he ever figured out why. I'm not sure he ever computed why I was so mad at him, either. 

FWIW, I later learned the term negging, and I realized that actually summed up a pretty big aspect of our interactions. Now when I recognize someone is negging me, I put a stop to that shit right away. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
On 3/26/2021 at 3:31 PM, rue721 said:

I decided to buy a house, so this week I talked it over with my boyfriend, got pre-approved for a mortgage, and now I am meeting with three different buyer's agents and am scheduled to go to a house tour on Sunday. This is crazy. At this rate, am I going to be a homeowner next week? Is this how fast these things go?!

Not even going to go into the weird story of what happened early this morning when I tried to give a seller's agent a call back. Basically, the weird part was that this woman was on the phone with me when she started cussing someone out like I've never heard anyone be cussed out. She was MAD. I don't know if she thought the call had dropped and I wasn't on the line anymore or what. Hilarious, but kinda unnerving, if you want to know the truth!

Also this morning, I was on my way to work and my car started driving really rough -- noisy, and with lots of sputtering and shaking. I got to the light right before the highway entrance and the Check Oil light came on. Since I was stuck at a red light anyhow, I googled what that meant, and the results all basically said, "pull over immediately!" So I did, and called my mechanic. He said to go back a block to the nearest autoshop, not to even try to make it the five blocks or so to his. Well, I did... the mechanic there checked my oil, and there was literally none in the tank. So he added a couple quarts. It was still looking like no oil was in the tank. So he added another couple. Still showing as nothing. He asked me to back the car up a few feet, and there was oil all over the ground. So he made me leave the car there, drove me home, and I had to ask my dad to come by so I could borrow my parents' car to get to work. Luckily the autoshop fixed the leak and it looks like nothing else is wrong. It's not cheap, but I'd rather pay a $500 repair and oil bill than deal with a totaled car! Thankfully, I was close to home and wasn't on the highway yet. If the light had come on while I was on the highway, I probably would have just kept going and figured I'd deal with it once I was at work! I would have killed my car right there and then!

Back when I was a resident, I had an old beater of a car (a Dodge Aspen, terrible machine).  Unbeknownst to me, the oil light didn't work, it needed a fuse or something.  I had the oil changed just before Christmas when I was on call.  The day after Christmas, we had a terrible cold snap, 13 below zero with wind warnings.  I needed to drive from one hospital to another to work, about a 15 minute drive.  Car stopped dead on the freeway, 7 AM, the day after Christmas, no traffic, 13 below.  This was in the days before cell phones.  Ended up walking on the freeway until a very nice older gentleman and his wife picked me up in their Rambler (!0 and dropped me off at a donut shop that was open so I could call for help.  In addition to the man and his wife, their pet poodle, who was wearing a fur coat (not her fur) and hat was with them.  It was surreal.  

Turned out, the garage that did the oil change hadn't tightened the cap well enough and the oil slowly leaked out and the engine locked.  Bye, bye Dodge Aspen!  I ended up having to run around and figure out how to get a down payment for a new car which I got before New Years'.  The only good thing was that I bought a Toyota Tercel and it was a fantastic little car that I drove for years and gave to one of my sisters who drove it for many more.

• Love 11

Zella, I'm going to need this guy's name and address. I'd like to pay him a visit on your behalf, lol.

I've often noticed the people who claim they don't watch TV or listen to music or don't go on social media are the most insufferable people to be around. They think of themselves so much more highly than others, for some reason. I don't get it. Give me a person who is down with discussing the latest Falcon and Winter Soldier episode or top 40 hit any day over someone who looks down their nose at me for enjoying something. It might not be the deepest intellectual conversation in the world but if it's fun and entertaining and connects people over something, I think that's a good thing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 20
4 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Zella, I'm going to need this guy's name and address. I'd like to pay him a visit on your behalf, lol.

I've often noticed the people who claim they don't watch TV or listen to music or don't go on social media are the most insufferable people to be around. They think of themselves so much more highly than others, for some reason. I don't get it. Give me a person who is down with discussing the latest Falcon and Winter Soldier episode or top 40 hit any day over someone who looks down their nose at me for enjoying something. It might not be the deepest intellectual conversation in the world but if it's fun and entertaining and connects people over something, I think that's a good thing.

Hehe I might take you up on that. 🤣 Would it surprise you to learn he was also sanctimonious about boycotting social media too? LOL And he was a real music hipster, too. Though I will admit he did have pretty good taste in music and introduced me to some musicians I still really like. 

I have pretty broad taste, and it makes me really uncomfortable when people like him think their interests make them more special than other people. It often seems like a substitute for having a real personality. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, sixlets said:

Did you ever do something and even hours later, you still can't help but say WTF?  That's how our day went.  The lease is up on my Crosstrek later this year, and we knew we didn't want another one.  Our first option was a 2021 Ford Escape.  We ordered a Tesla Model 3.  Mr. Six knows this is my dream car.  And he works so fucking hard every single day to support our little family, and it looks like my dream might come true.  With the way they work, we can walk away at any point, including after it's delivered to the dealer.  I have been blessed beyond measure in many ways, but this is a blessing of a lifetime.

Congrats on the Tesla! That’s a great blessing for sure!  I can understand how excited  you’d be.  Please share details when you can.

Do you mind saying what you didn’t like about the Crosstrek?  I have a friend who loves hers, yet I read quite a few complaints about them online. 

• Love 5

The no TV thing. Most who I've encountered that "don't watch TV" are born in the 80s kids. I don't know if they were exposed to more of the research suggesting too much TV is not good, or what, but it seems to be a generational thing. They're also the first generation to have wide access to mobile devices and streaming services as young adults. 

About 10 years ago one of my kids was telling me she hardly watched TV. I didn't think much of it because this kid wasn't a huge TV watcher (her choice) when she was a kid. Come to find out, at the time, she defined "TV" as watching the typical network shows and news, but not streaming services and/or movies. She didn't have a TV or cable, but she did watch plenty of 'TV', by my definition. BTW, her and her roommate do have an actual TV now.

I did have a recent chuckle with one of my kid's lifelong friend's post on FB. She's married and a new mom. After stating she has never had a TV as an adult, she asked for recommendations for an unobtrusive small screen type thing to hang on her wall to to project shows from her laptop. She listed her wants and don't wants, due to the size and aesthetics of her home. I didn't offer a suggestion, but found myself laughing, because she was basically describing a flat screen TV/monitor. 

For the '80s kids' who post here, I mean no offense, as obviously not all feel this way, and this is just my personal observation.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 14

In regard to early covid...

There was a nasty flu going around during the 2019/20 flu season. One of my kids and my husband had it. Both in February, but totally independent of each other. My daughter's illness was so bad, she actually went to the doctor. We've all gone back and forth, a number of times, was it covid or was it the flu? We always land on flu. In my daughter's line of work, she would have been a Typhoid Mary, yet she didn't get anyone she knows sick. My husband was pretty ill, yet neither my kid who lives at home or myself became sick. While I understand asymptomatic (& very mild) cases occur, its unlikely I would have had an asymptomatic/mild case and very unlikely that everyone my daughter came in contact with would have as well.

We're obviously left with some doubt, because we do revisit it on occasion. But the hoof beats lean toward horses and not zebras.

I actually suspect I had covid in April. I'm left with some doubt because it was still early into the pandemic, but it was circulating more at that point. But it doesn't really matter at this point and I'll never know for sure.

I'm guessing there's tens of thousands (millions?) of folks who've had unconfirmed covid, obviously including some in early 2020 because - pandemic, but I think most contracted it in later months.

• Love 8

@Jynnan tonnix, your granddaughter sounds like one smart kid, very adorable! As for elderly Moms who treat their adult children like kids who still need direction, I hear ya! In every area of my life for more than 40 years, I've been adulting. But to her, all of her kids are still kids! I really try not to do the same with my adult children. Unlike my Mom, I can bite my tongue and accept the way they lead their lives. And take pride in them! I read years ago that we have 2 chances at the parenting relationship. One with our parents and one with our kids. I try really hard to do better with my second chance. But Mom can still drive me nuts. Now that she's elderly, I mostly laugh it off. Sometimes though I have to remind her that I've been an adult for quite some time and do things my way.

In my case, my Mom was not a stellar Mom, so I also have to bite my tongue when she remembers the past with herself parenting in a way that is not at all accurate, imo. And though she's been divorced from my Dad for almost 50 years and he's been dead for over 30, she loves to run him down to me and my siblings. That sets me off every time! I change topics abruptly quite often when chatting with my Mom. But I love her and I will miss her when she's gone. She's smart, funny and always up for whatever. Or she was, until she hit her 90s and a pandemic came along! Now that I'm fully vaccinated, I look forward to hugging her!

I have sister-in-law who "turned off the tv for the summer" many years ago. Yet, baseball games didn't count. Movies didn't count. Old Andy Griffith shows didn't count. I still don't know what exactly they were giving up! I don't care what she watches or what she eats (another area where she thinks she's one-upping lesser humans), but it makes me laugh when people claim not to watch much/any tv. I generally don't believe them!

• Love 10
On 3/26/2021 at 1:31 PM, rue721 said:

I decided to buy a house, so this week I talked it over with my boyfriend, got pre-approved for a mortgage, and now I am meeting with three different buyer's agents and am scheduled to go to a house tour on Sunday. This is crazy. At this rate, am I going to be a homeowner next week? Is this how fast these things go?!

Sometimes things just align perfectly. In my case I just got divorced and on Saturday awhile ago looked at houses  on Sunday looked at one of them again and on Thursday had the keys in my hand.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That’s what I did and consider it well worth the trip. I drove two counties up. I had my second vaccine yesterday. My arm was only sore for approximately 6-8 hours, but today I have a constant nagging headache. Also some nausea and light sensitivity. My friend thinks I’m having a migraine and it has nothing to do with the vaccine. She could be right. 

I was supposed to get my second dose of Moderna yesterday, too.  On Friday afternoon, they called and cancelled it, saying they would call to reschedule.

I was all ready to feel crappy for a day or two.  I had cleaned and stocked up on "sick food" and was so disappointed it was cancelled!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Congrats on the Tesla! That’s a great blessing for sure!  I can understand how excited  you’d be.  Please share details when you can.

Do you mind saying what you didn’t like about the Crosstrek?  I have a friend who loves hers, yet I read quite a few complaints about them online. 

Thank you!!  We got the chance to sit in one, but they didn't have any inventory to even test drive.  He told us immediately that they were ordering now for delivery in July/August.  They make things a little too easy too.  They don't run a credit check or anything in the beginning.  You give them your name, phone number, email, and a $100 deposit, and that orders your car.  You pick the exterior color, interior color, and wheels.  That's it.  They'll call when it comes in, and you have the ability to accept or reject it.  On a side note, Mr. Six also needed a new office chair for when he works from home, and it's been more of a hassle with backordered items and zero communication than it was to order the car.

The Crosstrek isn't a bad car, and it's done the job for 2 1/2 years (it's a 2019, highest trim level).  But, there's little things that I'm not a fan of.  I know it's me being picky, bitchy, and spoiled too.  It comes with 2 key fobs, but neither have a button for the remote start.  You have to use their app to do it, and they rarely update it.  There's no trunk button in the cabin, which in our time of covid, has pissed me off.  For example, if we run to the store, the spousal unit stays in the car.  I come out with 5 or 6 bags of groceries.  I either have to fiddle with the latch myself or he has to get out and open it for me.  Mr. Six's biggest complaint is a safety one.  Most cars now will lock the doors automatically if you drive far enough or get up to a certain speed.  This car does not do that.  So, if you want your doors locked while driving, you have to manually lock it.  But, God forbid you're in an accident, you have to hit the unlock button to get out as they won't unlock on their own.  The last is really nitpicky, but the radio turns itself on every single time you start the car.  And, if you had the volume turned up the last time you drove, chances are you going to forget and get blasted with the radio the next time you drive.  

I do like it for the hauling capacity.  We were able to do two Ikea runs with large furniture because it came with a roof rack.  The back seats fold down, so it opens up to quite a large area.  Mr. Six will occasionally need to haul a 6ft ladder for site visits, and it fits quite well.  The gas mileage is great.  I usually get around 400 miles out of one tank.  It's fairly comfortable as well.  He has taken it from home to Richmond, Virginia a few times, and it's a pretty comfy ride.  You can park it just about anywhere due to the size, which has been a plus.  It can fit 5, but the three in the back need to be relatively small people.  It's AWD and great in the snow.  Since we got it (October 2018), our winters have been crazy mild with very little snow though.  If you're someone who likes the outdoors and off-roading or just taking back roads/trails, it would be awesome.  But, the truth is, we hate the outdoors, we don't need to haul much, and we live in the suburbs.  I think it's a great car for the right person/family, and I would recommend it.  We both LOVE technology and cars, and that's what the Tesla can give us (and more).  Sorry this got so long!

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Zella said:

My breaking point was when he tried to argue with me that literacy was oppressive.

Hahahaha WAT?! In his mind, knowledge was... disempowering? 

You gotta wonder who he thought should have an education and who should be sitting there without access to it “for their own good.” I have a feeling that he didn’t see himself in the “left in ignorance so as to be better manipulated and controlled... because that’s what’s best for them” group. What a douche. 

Did he read Brave New World by any chance? Kinda reminds me of the “I’m glad I’m a beta...” stuff from that book.

@Zella, anybody can tell from what you write on this board that you’re wicked smart... You’re clearly wayyyyyyy out of this doofus’s league, and he was lucky to have you for as long as he did — but you’re even luckier for finally not having to deal with him anymore. Jeez Louise.

• Love 11

Moderna #2 was a doozy for me (and I have ZERO regrets).  It all hit about 14 hours after the shot.  I ached all over, but it was the headache that had me down and out.  It went across my upper back, shoulders, neck, and the back of my head.  It was intense.  It lasted 36 hours and then lifted.  The nausea stayed for almost a week.  When I got the shot, the nurse told me to try my best not to take anything unless I had a fever that wouldn't let up.  She said let my body do its thing.  That was the hardest part, not taking anything for the pain.  I almost gave in (hourly!), but stuck it out.  I never had chills or fever.  The milkshakes I made for my queasy stomach were great:)!

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Hahahaha WAT?! In his mind, knowledge was... disempowering? 

You gotta wonder who he thought should have an education and who should be sitting there without access to it “for their own good.” I have a feeling that he didn’t see himself in the “left in ignorance so as to be better manipulated and controlled... because that’s what’s best for them” group. What a douche. 

Did he read Brave New World by any chance? Kinda reminds me of the “I’m glad I’m a beta...” stuff from that book.

@Zella, anybody can tell from what you write on this board that you’re wicked smart... You’re clearly wayyyyyyy out of this doofus’s league, and he was lucky to have you for as long as he did — but you’re even luckier for finally not having to deal with him anymore. Jeez Louise.

Aww thanks! He never could articulate what he meant, but I wondered the same thing about who was supposed to have an education by this theory. He had read it in some article and seemed to think it was very clever, so he would just swipe it and use it. Actually that was a recurring thing with him too. 🤣

He got married last year, and there is a part of me that really wonders about her. She seems pretty annoying in her own way, and that is funnier to me than is polite to admit. 😇

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, kaleidoscope said:

Moderna #2 was a doozy for me (and I have ZERO regrets).  It all hit about 14 hours after the shot.  I ached all over, but it was the headache that had me down and out.  It went across my upper back, shoulders, neck, and the back of my head.  It was intense.  It lasted 36 hours and then lifted.  The nausea stayed for almost a week.  When I got the shot, the nurse told me to try my best not to take anything unless I had a fever that wouldn't let up.  She said let my body do its thing.  That was the hardest part, not taking anything for the pain.  I almost gave in (hourly!), but stuck it out.  I never had chills or fever.  The milkshakes I made for my queasy stomach were great:)!

Yes, the headache was worrisome.  Even though I had read it was a side effect, I started getting worried it was something more serious, because I’m not one who gets many headaches.  Perhaps, one a year.   And it lasted quite a while. I did take some low dose Tylenol a few times.  And even though I read that a sore throat was not a side effect, I got it along with the headache and it left the same time too, which like you was about 14 hours.  I’m still tired, but relieved it’s behind me.  I won’t be at the two week wait period for another 10 days, but I really want to attend an outdoor Easter church service next Sunday, so I’m weighing the risks.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Anyone here from the Nashville area or Tennessee in general? So much awful flooding there. Just devastating. 

I stayed up late into the night on Thursday.  I was watching the weather channel following a tornado heading straight to Alabama.  It was a blue blob and they were map following it!  Pretty accurate considering pictures of damage shown on Friday!   Just what they said would be hit was hit.  Fascinating to watch but so devastating to all those in harm's way.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, the headache was worrisome.  Even though I had read it was a side effect, I started getting worried it was something more serious, because I’m not one who gets many headaches.  Perhaps, one a year.   And it lasted quite a while. I did take some low dose Tylenol a few times.  And even though I read that a sore throat was not a side effect, I got it along with the headache and it left the same time too, which like you was about 14 hours.  I’m still tired, but relieved it’s behind me.  I won’t be at the two week wait period for another 10 days, but I really want to attend an outdoor Easter church service next Sunday, so I’m weighing the risks.

You, of course, have to do what you feel comfortable doing.  However,  I think you should be pretty safe at an outdoor service. Especially if you are masked and physically distanced from other people.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

5 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

You, of course, have to do what you feel comfortable doing.  However,  I think you should be pretty safe at an outdoor service. Especially if you are masked and physically distanced from other people.  

The first shot alone gives pretty good immunity, over 80% I believe. England is waiting three months before they give the second shot in order to get more folks at least vaxxed with the first dose. And from what I understand every day farther away from the second shot, is a day with a little more immunity.

• Useful 5

Oh....didn’t realize I got so much protection just from first shot.   Alrighty....I think I will attend the outdoor church service for sure.

And, I am planning to attend an outdoor concert the following week.  The tickets are purchased  as 8 x 8 pods. Six people will fit into one pod. You bring your own group to the pod.  Each pod is six feet from other pods. Temps are taken and questionnaires are made to each person attending.  Masks are required unless you are in your pod.  I’ve seen them online and it looks pretty cool.  Everyone in our pod is vaxed.  I’m a little nervous, but feel I need some live music and socializing.  

I also have a big trial in court the same week.  I’ll be inside a courtroom with quite a few other people for an extended period of time.  Glad I have been vaxed. Still makes me nervous. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

The cherry blossoms are out in force. 

FB_IMG_1616774653607.jpg

Wow!  Now that says Spring!

Edited by Suzn
Because I'm an idiot.
  • Love 8

It's funny, the nurse who gave me my second shot was saying you have 50% immunity at two weeks after it, then 75% in three weeks, then 97% at a month. I'm a little over a month out from my second shot and I still feel nervous, but I know I'm safer than before the vaccine. Covid has messed with my mindset a lot. I wonder if I'll ever feel totally fine eating in a restaurant again or going to the movies or anywhere with large groups. I hope so. I'm considering a trip in July to see my friends on the east coast (tickets are so cheap!) but I'm still hesitant to commit just yet. 

My second eye procedure is finally happening tomorrow, so I'm excited to get it done and have my old thyroid eyes finally fixed. I told the nurse yesterday when I did my pre-surgery Covid test that if they needed to do a little chin lipo or abdominal lipo while I was under to go for it. She and I had a good laugh over that.

• Love 19

Hey if everyone could send me good thoughts/wisdom it would be appreciated.  My washing machine is not working.  It will fill but not agitate. I can get it to empty by putting the dial on drain/spin bit it does not spin. I do not know if I want to have  it repaired , if it can be or just but a new set. I am a little worried about having a repair man come and either he can't fix it or he fixes it and I have another problem. Of course this just happened so I can't even call about a repair until tomorrow. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, emma675 said:

19 hours ago, Zella said:

Hehe I might take you up on that. 🤣 Would it surprise you to learn he was also sanctimonious about boycotting social media too? LOL And he was a real music hipster, too. Though I will admit he did have pretty good taste in music and introduced me to some musicians I still really like. 

I have pretty broad taste, and it makes me really uncomfortable when people like him think their interests make them more special than other people. It often seems like a substitute for having a real personality. 

Exactly. Reminds me so much of Jeremy. Pontificating on the ills of social media and that he doesn’t have it on his phone yet posting insufferable content constantly. 

have been LOVING the cherry  blossoms around here @QuinnInND!  So refreshing and uplifting to see when I’m out walking. 

moderna #2 did me in. 36 hrs of chills, fever, headache, all over aches, exhaustion. Miserable but no regrets. Thankful to finally have the opportunity. Why does this vaccine carry such strong after effects?  I’ve never reacted to other vaccines in the past. 

Edited by awaken
  • Love 9
35 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Crazycatlady58, that’s terrible about your washer.  When I have things that malfunction I often Google troubleshooting for my issue and sometimes you get a suggestion that helps.  

Thank you. This is very interesting. Whike I cannot check out the problem myself it does give me knowledge so if I get a repairman to look at it I understand what he is telling me. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, awaken said:

Exactly. Reminds me so much of Jeremy.

Holy hell I never put two and two together on that, but you're totally right! Bahahahaha No wonder JereMe grinds my gears so much! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4