Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 12/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, galaxychaser said:

I know it’s lame to wish your self a happy birthday. But oh well. I lived another long, hard year. 

Happy birthday to me!

I am way, way behind on this forum, but I just gave your birthday post another like to turn it pink...So belated happy birthday! 😘

• Love 10
11 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Happy belated birthday!

Happy belated birthday as well! It's tough having a birthday this time of year...it so often gets overlooked! Mine was Jan 2, and even though I have a couple of good friends with birthdays within those couple of weeks, we still manage to forget each others' until a while later...

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Happy belated birthday as well! It's tough having a birthday this time of year...it so often gets overlooked! Mine was Jan 2, and even though I have a couple of good friends with birthdays within those couple of weeks, we still manage to forget each others' until a while later...

Agreed..my 10yo granddaughter's birthday is Dec. 28..and we all try very hard to make sure it's celebrated apart from the holidays. 

Happy belated birthday to you too, Jyn!

Oh, and HAPPY birthday to EVERYONE else I missed, or who just reads here and had a birthday near the holidays!! 😊

I had ALL five of my kids here for the holidays, and all 14 grands, and 3 great grands. My 5 Jewish family members stayed here IN our house for THREE weeks. Not 3 days...3 WEEKS.

Benjamin Franklin famously said "fish and company smell after three DAYS" 😁 (paraphrased.)

Even my Marine son and his wife and 4 kids flew in from Germany for two weeks❤

So I got to celebrate both Christmas and Hannukah.

I am very happy, but also exhausted, and way, way DONE with holidays for a long, long time.😂

Edited by ChiCricket
more blabbing to do
  • Love 12
23 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Agreed..my 10yo granddaughter's birthday is Dec. 28..and we all try very hard to make sure it's celebrated apart from the holidays. 

Oh, and HAPPY birthday to EVERYONE else I missed, or who just reads here and had a birthday near the holidays!! 😊

I had ALL five of my kids here for the holidays, and all 14 grands, and 3 great grands. My 5 Jewish family members stayed here IN our house for THREE weeks. Not 3 days...3 WEEKS.

Benjamin Franklin famously said "fish and company smell after three DAYS" 😁 (paraphrased.)

I am very happy, but also exhausted, and way, way DONE with holidays for a long, long time.😂

What a great get-together, though! That sounds like a great time! And a great, big, hopefully happy family! My three kids, son-in-law, granddaughter, mother, and Mr Jyn are about all the family we can muster all at once, though we did have a couple of generations of Mr Jyn's family here for a one-day get-together a couple of days before Christmas. Plus I just had a friend here visiting whom I had not seen in probably eight years, so that was nice!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Sounds lovely! Now you can relax ♥️

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

I get to relax only until February 8, when I have to be in PUERTO RICO 😲 for my granddaughter's Bat Mitzvah! I'm flying standby for free (as usual) but I already put down a non-refundable deposit on where we're staying. (I really can't afford it, but I am over staying with other people, kwim?)

The venue where they are hosting Ziva's Bat Mitzvah is not anywhere near the earthquake zone, and tourism dollars are just what that beautiful island needs right now.

I'm still nervous af though, and I'm going to have to DRAG my husband by his...er um... hand...😂 to make him go now. (He already was afraid of just flying.)

PS...here's photos of all my grands and great-grands, except Noah, the baby, who was with his mom that day. They've all gotten so big! 😭

The first pic is just my Illinois grands, because the out of state/out of the country ones couldn't make it that year.

Screenshot_20200119-173233.jpg

Beautiful grands. I am familiar with the Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. Youngest grand just got his scheduled for early April 2020 in WA state. Enjoy. Will look forward to hearing about it. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

I get to relax only until February 8, when I have to be in PUERTO RICO 😲 for my granddaughter's Bat Mitzvah! I'm flying standby for free (as usual) but I already put down a non-refundable deposit on where we're staying. (I really can't afford it, but I am over staying with other people, kwim?)

The venue where they are hosting Ziva's Bat Mitzvah is not anywhere near the earthquake zone, and tourism dollars are just what that beautiful island needs right now.

I'm still nervous af though, and I'm going to have to DRAG my husband by his...er um... hand...😂 to make him go now. (He already was afraid of just flying.)

PS...here's photos of all my grands and great-grands, except Noah, the baby, who was with his mom that day. They've all gotten so big! 😭

The first pic is just my Illinois grands, because the out of state/out of the country ones couldn't make it that year.

OMG! Those photos are just too cool! I just spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out which kids from the older photo were included in the newer one, and where they were, I just adore things like that!

• Love 6

So I have some bad news about my chicks. On Wednesday, I came home from work (after having a (medicated) migraine all day) to find one dead, and the other two severely injured. A jealous female in the flock had attacked them, and the baby died with one blow to the head. The other two appeared to have fought back, and the mother looked like she protected them, and lost a toe. I grabbed the chicks immediately and tried to find an emergency vet, but nowhere was open that accepted birds. I tried my hardest to keep food in them, but they were hurt, weak, and only about ten days old. 

Thursday morning, I was happily surprised to find that they were still alive, and I stayed home with them to help them. I had a vet appointment at 2:00, so I just had to keep them alive until then. It was so horrible watching them suffer, until they finally both passed within an hour of their appointment. The second one died in the car on the way there. At least I got to meet the avian vet, and scheduled an appointment for Snowy’s toe while I was there. 

it was just the most trying, horrible couple of days ever. I woke up Friday and went to work so depressed, and ended up having a splitting migraine almost all day. There’s just really no worse day you can have than watching helpless baby animals suffer and die. I’ve cried so much the last few days, and still can at the drop of a hat. They fought so hard, and they were thriving just the night before the attack. It’s so unfair and horrible. 

Next time that pair shows signs of wanting to breed, I’m going to move them to a separate room so they can raise their chicks with no risk. I’m so gutted over this! I’ve felt so depressed all weekend that it’s hard to even do the simplest tasks. Next week has to be better. 

here is the last photo I took of my little chicks, the day before the attack. 😭😭😭

682EBCE9-A65F-4B6F-BAFA-B29B4D4A911E.jpeg

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 2

I brought this quote from @Sew Sumi over because it's about me, not Jed!2020:

It didn't take long for him to confirm that he's a single issue candidate. I seriously doubt he really cares about the opioid crisis. 

To be honest, I don't care about the opioid crisis. It pisses me off that people with legitimate pain can no longer get actual pain meds b/c of other idiots and their doctors. My mom was in intense pain for 12 hours b/c the ICU doctor didn't believe in giving patients opioids, even though her regular physician prescribed them. It wasn't until he realized she was dying that he relented. Then, 2 days later the night doctor refused to allow her to have the morphine drip the day doctor had authorized because she felt there were less addictive ways to deal with her pain. And the day she died, the new duty nurse decided she had the authority to override the doctor's orders to refill the morphine because she felt we were over-using the button since "she was unresponsive and couldn't actually tell us she hurt". It took demanding that the doctor come and speak to us for that to change, and then the witch tried to deny what she told us.

Sorry to vent, I may be at the anger stage of grief. But, I feel the same way about the opioid crisis as I did about the meth crisis, the crack crisis, and the alcohol crisis - deal with the addiction and stop making demons where they don't exist. I'm pretty sure in 10 years or so we will have a new crisis for the politicians and news media to freak out about.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Nysha said:

To be honest, I don't care about the opioid crisis. It pisses me off that people with legitimate pain can no longer get actual pain meds b/c of other idiots and their doctors. My mom was in intense pain for 12 hours b/c the ICU doctor didn't believe in giving patients opioids, even though her regular physician prescribed them. It wasn't until he realized she was dying that he relented. Then, 2 days later the night doctor refused to allow her to have the morphine drip the day doctor had authorized because she felt there were less addictive ways to deal with her pain. And the day she died, the new duty nurse decided she had the authority to override the doctor's orders to refill the morphine because she felt we were over-using the button since "she was unresponsive and couldn't actually tell us she hurt". It took demanding that the doctor come and speak to us for that to change, and then the witch tried to deny what she told us.

Sorry to vent, I may be at the anger stage of grief. But, I feel the same way about the opioid crisis as I did about the meth crisis, the crack crisis, and the alcohol crisis - deal with the addiction and stop making demons where they don't exist. I'm pretty sure in 10 years or so we will have a new crisis for the politicians and news media to freak out about.

I'm so sorry about your mom. That's so horrible. It has been really hard for people who really do need the medicine to get it from doctors. It took forever for my mom to finally get approval for oxycodone after her first stroke. She had so much pain and it took forever. Her doctor kept lecturing the evils of addiction before finally giving in. But because it fell under opioid and narcotic they could only give her a prescription for one month. Every month my dad had to pick up the prescription and hand deliver it to the pharmacy. He couldn't pick up a few days early like if the end of the month landed on a Saturday, Sunday or any holiday when the doctor's office was closed and they couldn't email it to the pharmacy and have them release on the day he could pick it up either. So my mom would have to go without. This was because that was law. The law that prevented the doctor's office from putting refills or allowing them to fill the prescription a couple days early so my mom wouldn't run out and have to go without pain medicine. No exceptions. My mom would stretch out the medicine as long as she could until she ran out and be in pain. Then of course when it was filled it would still take days for it to get back in her system and be able to get up and move around. It was an endless cycle. It was so stupid and infuriating watching her in so much pain and there was nothing we could do. There should be a way for those who need them for actual medical problems to get them while keep them out of addicts.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Nysha said:

I am angry on your behalf on this issue.  That is a shitty situation.   I worked in pharmacy long enough to know that doctors caused this crisis and now they are over correcting in order to take the blame off of themselves.   I worked long enough to see medications that were only prescribed in hospitals or for end stage cancer pain become the new normal for pain like Fentanyl and Oxycontin.   I saw doctors that never talked to their patients about them becoming addicted to the pain meds and how they should ease off the pills to assist in this.  They would instead just stop writing the prescriptions because they were orthopedic surgeons and the patient was done in their book.  I do believe there is a special place in hell for the Sackler family and doctors who wrote massive amounts of pills for money, but there are a lot of other doctors who share the blame.  It is utter bullshit that the AMA is trying to say that doctors were duped by Perdue instead of admitting that they messed up and did not do enough research.   

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Nysha said:

I brought this quote from @Sew Sumi over because it's about me, not Jed!2020:To be honest, I don't care about the opioid crisis. It pisses me off that people with legitimate pain can no longer get actual pain meds b/c of other idiots and their doctors.

I fully agree. My MIL has RA, back pain and other issues related to the RA. She was on Vicodin(can't take any asprin or ibprofen due to stomach issues) for quite awhile and it was the only thing that made her feel "normal". She never abused it, she sometimes didn't even take it if she could make it through the day. She would also sometimes wait till the pain was at it's worse, before taking one. Then one day when she called the doctor for a refill and she was told that she be on it anymore. The nurse that spoke to her actually thought she was abusing it, when in fact, the nurse read when the last refill was wrong. Doctor wouldn't prescribe it anymore. People that actually need stronger opioids, shouldn't suffer because of the ones that abuse them. Especially if you can prove that you aren't abusing them and acutally need them.

@Nysha, I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. You shouldn't have had to go through all that with the morphine. I'm angry for you and with you.

• Love 7

Don't even get me started about the opioid crisis. I have been on various narcotic opioid medicines for my RA for probably 15 years & boy things have changed for the worse.  (I am also on other RA medicine.) I know I'm addicted to them but I like to say I am DEPENDENT on them instead. I couldn't have worked or even lived a semi-normal life without them. Thank God my rheumatologist is able to prescribe them & not a pain mgt clinic & is he able to send the rx electronically to the pharmacy.  But each month it's a crap shoot and there always seems to be an issue.

I have experienced similar problems to the ones others have posted insinuating  I'm a drug abuser when I'm not.  I'm  just a person with a crappy disease that causes a lot of pain and need strong pain medicine. I keep saying the laws would be different if it was one of the lawmakers or their family member that had to go through what I (&others) go through each month to get their pain med refilled. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Nysha said:

Sorry to vent, I may be at the anger stage of grief. But, I feel the same way about the opioid crisis as I did about the meth crisis, the crack crisis, and the alcohol crisis - deal with the addiction and stop making demons where they don't exist. I'm pretty sure in 10 years or so we will have a new crisis for the politicians and news media to freak out about

Edited by DangerousMinds
Never mind
7 hours ago, Nysha said:

I get where you are coming from.  Most recently affirmed by son with the cancer.  He needs more pain meds sometimes than the insurance will cover.  The doctor will prescribe.  The catch 22 is that if we pay out of pocket the insurance can decide we don't need them at all.

Thank you all for your support and for understanding where I'm coming from. I am so sorry that so many of you are affected by this, also. There is a special place in hell for the people responsible for creating this mess and the self-righteous health professionals who make people suffer needlessly.

• Love 21
23 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

WOW! beautiful family!!!!  we are truly blessed with the 'grands', aren't we?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

WOW! beautiful family!!!!  we are truly blessed with the 'grands', aren't we?

They really are our rewards for letting our teenagers live.😂

I keep telling my grown kids who have teenagers that, but they don't quite believe future grands will be worth the trouble....(they're wrong) ❤

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

My dad's co-worker died at the age of 32 over the weekend. She was complaining of stomach pains, and something might have ruptured.

Ok,ok..I guess I WILL make a doctor's appointment for the severe ongoing pain in my lower left abdomen. It's been a full month that I've had it, so I'm guessing it's not really just gas?😜 (TMI?)

I hate going to the doctor, because no matter what, it seems like it always comes back to them thinking it's from me being overweight.

Well..no duh. I AM overweight, but sometimes overweight people have things wrong with them that's  not related to that. Am I the only one who gets the feeling that doctors don't see overweight people as PEOPLE first?

(I need to find a nice plump doctor, maybe) 😂

Edited by ChiCricket
Ps sorry so blabby..I'm in a mood
  • Love 12

Chronic pain is horrible.  I don't know how some people deal with it.  My SIL has terrible back pain that needs surgery, but, they can't promise that it will help, so she deals with it. Her doctors have told her she has to ease up on pain pills. She's trying alternate treatments like injections.  

I realized on my recent birthday vacation that most of my physical ailments are caused by stress and anxiety.  Sitting by the pool, walking down the beach, etc.  all those muscle pains seemed far away.  It was amazing. My blood sugar levels so nice and normal.......the key for me is bringing tranquility to my life.  I LEARNED this at the resort called Tranquility Bay!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just wanted to pop in with some good news. My grandson has earned his Eagle Scout. The Boy Scouts are having an awards ceremony (at a winery lol) for all the new Eagles in April and I plan to attend. 

That's great news! Congratulations!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just wanted to pop in with some good news. My grandson has earned his Eagle Scout. The Boy Scouts are having an awards ceremony (at a winery lol) for all the new Eagles in April and I plan to attend. 

That is great. Both my sons are Eagle Scouts. Nice accomplishment.  Congrats to your grandson. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That is wonderful!

It is great to finally hear of good news for a change.  All my news lately has been either deaths or declining health. We need to get out of this slump. Hopefully this happy news is a start.

• Love 7
On 1/21/2020 at 11:08 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Chronic pain is horrible.  I don't know how some people deal with it.  My SIL has terrible back pain that needs surgery, but, they can't promise that it will help, so she deals with it. Her doctors have told her she has to ease up on pain pills. She's trying alternate treatments like injections.  

I realized on my recent birthday vacation that most of my physical ailments are caused by stress and anxiety.  Sitting by the pool, walking down the beach, etc.  all those muscle pains seemed far away.  It was amazing. My blood sugar levels so nice and normal.......the key for me is bringing tranquility to my life.  I LEARNED this at the resort called Tranquility Bay!  

I started physiotherapy last year and my goodness, it has made a huge difference. I have a bunch of injuries that were exacerbated by dancing for so long. It was basically always a "show must go on". I remember performing one time with a severe case of bronchitis because I was a newbie under a demanding instructor. I think my knees and hips would have been permanently effed up by the time I was 30 had I not stopped completely.

It's really unfortunate physiotherapy is out of the reach for many of those who need it. I truly believe we've created a toxic culture where people aren't able to maintain a decent standard of health for a variety of reasons. This leads to so many problems and so many situations where people are left vulnerable. It's terrifying.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m getting phone calls from 1800 number claiming my social security number is going to be closed. I think it’s fraud. I answer the phone and no actual human answers.

Yeah, that fraud has been around for a while. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m getting phone calls from 1800 number claiming my social security number is going to be closed. I think it’s fraud. I answer the phone and no actual human answers.

Yes. It is a fraud. If you get a human give them no information.  Block the call if you can. Your number will not be cancelled.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

It is a fraud.  Google the 800 number.  You are not alone in getting weird calls. And block the number if you can.  

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Okay so I just called the number and it’s in Spanish. 2 days in a row.

Block it or don’t answer it. It might be from one of those places that try multiple scams and if you continue to answer they may bait you with other scenarios. IRS or a police dept looking for donations. 

• Love 7

I got a call today, and not only is my Social Security account being closed, but I need to show up with my attorney.  I hung up and blocked the call before I heard where and when to appear.  Remember, Social Security will NEVER contact you by phone.  If you do indeed have a problem, you will receive an official letter.

I bought a new Panasonic cordless phone last year that has a dedicated "block" button.  I know these scams keep changing their phone number, but it is a good feeling to push that magic button!

• Love 12
52 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I got a call today, and not only is my Social Security account being closed, but I need to show up with my attorney.  I hung up and blocked the call before I heard where and when to appear.  Remember, Social Security will NEVER contact you by phone.  If you do indeed have a problem, you will receive an official letter.

I bought a new Panasonic cordless phone last year that has a dedicated "block" button.  I know these scams keep changing their phone number, but it is a good feeling to push that magic button!

I've been getting that scam call for a year now.  What's worse is it's not always an 800 number but a very local number.  I've even gotten the Social Security scam call from my own phone number!  These scammers are in Nigeria, I believe, and have learned to use local numbers.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

14 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Yes. It is a fraud. If you get a human give them no information.  Block the call if you can. Your number will not be cancelled.

I got an automated call last week from a local number. It stated that Social Security was issuing a warrant for my arrest because of fraudulent use of my SS number.  So far no one has shown up to arrest me but my husband has my packed bags ready to go by the front door in case they do. ☺

I may "Press 1" next time if they call to see if I get a real person & to play along with them.  Like acting upset & rambling off 8 random numbers when they ask for my SS# which is probably the main reason of the call.  I just wonder how long they keep the call going. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I got an automated call last week from a local number. It stated that Social Security was issuing a warrant for my arrest because of fraudulent use of my SS number.  So far no one has shown up to arrest me but my husband has my packed bags ready to go by the front door in case they do. ☺

I may "Press 1" next time if they call to see if I get a real person & to play along with them.  Like acting upset & rambling off 8 random numbers when they ask for my SS# which is probably the main reason of the call.  I just wonder how long they keep the call going. 

Or ask them what they are wearing 🤣. Set down the phone and wander away for 30 min.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 1/23/2020 at 8:26 PM, galaxychaser said:

Another sign you're getting older: social security scammers are scamming you. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 1/23/2020 at 8:41 PM, CalicoKitty said:

Remember, Social Security will NEVER contact you by phone.  If you do indeed have a problem, you will receive an official letter.

Social Security will contact you by phone occasionally if you have contacted them first or have a claim pending.

• Love 1