Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I don't wear makeup every day like I used to. Now, I do wear it  if I'm meeting with clients, special things, etc.   I  started wearing L'Oréal Revitalift fir my skin. I like it and it's more reasonable in price than the dept store brands I used to use like Lancomb.

Has anyone heard anything about travel being restricted due to coronovirus? I have a nephew in Israel who should be coming home soon.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

Sending calming and peaceful thoughts to all who post here. I read, but don't always respond, but my thoughts are with you.

While online browsing at Ulta today, I saw a review by "jimbobduggar" and laughed out loud, Is anyone here responsible? LOL

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Glad to know you have a good prognosis.  Wishing you a good treatment plan and good support.  My son is still struggling with his kidney cancer.  We are awaiting the latest scan results.  So, I can relate.  Sending healing hugs.

Thank you , @lookeyloo. I knew that someone here had a son with kidney cancer but I couldn’t remember who it was. I hope his scan results will be encouraging. He is in my prayers.

ETA: As a mother, I would rather be sick myself than watch my child struggle. I am so sorry you have to go through that. I hope you are taking care of yourself and getting the support you need as well. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

EVS, thanks for updating us. I hope you're able to quickly and easily get into the clinical trial and it works out.

lookeyloo, you, your son, and your family are in my thoughts. 

I hate cancer. It's everywhere and it sucks. 

Thank you. I just got a call today. I will sign the consent papers, do the intake screening, and have any additional tests (bone marrow biopsy) or test that need to be done again, either this Tuesday and Thursday or the following week. Hopefully all goes well and I can start treatment shortly after that. 

• Love 20
6 minutes ago, EVS said:

Thank you , @lookeyloo. I knew that someone here had a son with kidney cancer but I couldn’t remember who it was. I hope his scan results will be encouraging. He is in my prayers.

Sadly they are not. We are headed over there to discuss options dr presented which don’t sound promising. I am crying as I type this. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, lookeyloo said:

Sadly they are not. We are headed over there to discuss options dr presented which don’t sound promising. I am crying as I type this. 

I am so sorry. I had just added to my post that it must be so hard to see your child go through this. Please update us when you feel able to.  

Edited by EVS
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

@EVS, thank you for giving us an update. I'll continue praying for you.

Thank you, @Nysha  

1 hour ago, Love2dance said:

@EVS, thank you for updating us. I sincerely hope that they find the right treatment for you in this trial. Sending many cyber hugs your way!

Thank you.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, EVS said:

Thank you. I just got a call today. I will sign the consent papers, do the intake screening, and have any additional tests (bone marrow biopsy) or test that need to be done again, either this Tuesday and Thursday or the following week. Hopefully all goes well and I can start treatment shortly after that. 

Best wishes for treatment and recovery.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I am looking at him in the hospital bed. He is only here for pain management.  First Treatment didn’t work. Hoping second one does. 

@LOOKEYLOO--many prayers, cyber hugs and virtual Kleenex being sent your way.  It is so difficult to watch someone you love suffer.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I am looking at him in the hospital bed. He is only here for pain management.  First Treatment didn’t work. Hoping second one does. 

I am so sorry you and your family are going through this.  You are all in my thoughts and prayers.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Yesterday I did something I've been thinking about for awhile. I deactivated my FB account.  Without going into too much detail, I've reached a place regarding politics that is just too upsetting to me. It will give me more time for reading. I read 10 books in January anyway. Let's see what February brings me, book-wise!

I also deactivated my FB account this year.  I thought I had deactivated it last year but it didn't go through correctly.

• Love 4

I haven’t been around much and am sad to return to see such sorrow. @lookeyloo I’m virtually holding your hand and hoping for the best with the new treatment. 

@EVS I hope your body responds well to the new therapies and hope that you get through everything as easily as possible. 

I have so many prayers for so many of you. 

Some of you need a lot, some just a few. 

So when things are seemingly blue  

Just try your best and to yourself be true. 

• Love 13

Set yourselves a reminder on your phone to delete your Facebook accounts at a certain point in the future. If you’ve managed with an account for a certain period, you can feel comfortable in  permanently deleting, not deactivating, your account.

I advise everyone to delete their Facebook accounts right now, tout de suite.

• Love 4

I just tried to delete my Facebook account.  I haven't used it for about 5 years.  It would not let me log in unless I sent a photo of my driver's license or passport, or a bill with my name and address.  Uh, no.  I guess I'll just continue to let it sit there unused.  I'm not giving them any id information.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

I just tried to delete my Facebook account.  I haven't used it for about 5 years.  It would not let me log in unless I sent a photo of my driver's license or passport, or a bill with my name and address.  Uh, no.  I guess I'll just continue to let it sit there unused.  I'm not giving them any id information.

That sounds weird.

• Love 6

funny you all mentioning deleting fb. i was considering it recently. i spend way too much time there. WAY TOO MUCH!  but i just cant do it.  i am planning to get my sewing machine out for some distraction very soon. and after my carpal tunnel procedure next month, i will be able to hold a paintbrush again soon.  i love refinishing furniture.

i just finished another book on polygamy -- it was a hard read. not boring but hard to read about the violence and horrible things that were/are going on down in the mexico quadrant of this particular group (la baron).  this one was called 'the sound if gravel' by ruth wariner.

• Love 6

OK folks, I need your help in finding correct words to use with an employee. What I want to say sounds like I am talking to a child and I don't want to sound like that. As individual employees and as a store we are expected to have certain percentages in different areas. This employee is very low....like 0 percent. We do not fire people for not making the percentage but it does tend to tell if you are doing your job in showing what you should be. She is what my D.M. calls a deflecter. I tend to say she will not tasks responsibility for her sh*t. So this is a convention we had..

Me . Betty Sue, your percentage is very low this is what it needs to be. The best way to do this is to show these items to every customer. Not everyone will buy but at one point in time they will you just need to show or talk about the items.

Betty Sue. Well so and so percentage is low also and this week the stores percentage is low. Are you talking to her so it is not my fault we are low.

Me. Don't worry I talk to everyone like I do you you just don't hear me just like I talk with you about this when we are alone.

We have had this conversion a couple of times and yes that is her basic response.

What I want to say is, Don't worry about anyone else just worry about you, but this sounds like something you would say to a child. I do not want to treat her like a child even though to me that is how she is acting. So any idea about better words to use?

So even if her percentage is low, she's not in danger of being fired or any consequences? Tbh, it doesn't seem like there's any motivation to improve when there are no consequences. Would she get a bonus or compensation for improving? It seems like a difficult situation. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

So even if her percentage is low, she's not in danger of being fired or any consequences? Tbh, it doesn't seem like there's any motivation to improve when there are no consequences. Would she get a bonus or compensation for improving? It seems like a difficult situation. 

1 minute ago, emma675 said:

We will not let her go because of the percentage but if she does not start showing things we can let her go for that. Another problem is she is having problems seeing to ring up people on the register she has made a few expensive mistakes. She cannot afford the contacts the Dr. says she needs so I am uncomfortable with her on the register. This again she doors not seem to be working to resolve the situation, we should work with her after all the time she has been with us. She was supposed to bring us a letter from the Dr. so we could make adjustments but thus has not happened. I just need words to have her not deflect to other people.

• Love 1

How about "we are not talking about anyone but you in this meeting. Other employees will have confidential meetings with me as necessary.  This is not about anyone but you in this meeting.  So, again, you, blah blah blah".  

• Love 17
30 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@crazycatlady58, try something “This conversation is about your performance, and no one else. This is what I need you to do.” You might want to check out the website askamanager.org - she has a lot of good scripts. Check out the category “Being the Boss.”

That is perfect! Just the words I am looking for. I have tried askamanager.org before it was not helpful for what I needed at the time but thank you for reminding me if the site. Just because it did not help me with one thing does not mean it will not be helpful with something else. Thank you.

• Love 8
On 1/26/2020 at 9:05 AM, emma675 said:

I'm turning into a practical hermit because I don't answer the phone or the door if I don't know or expect the person/call.

I'm very leery of opening the door to strangers too. But just three days ago, the weirdest thing happened. Someone knocked (loudly) on my door around 9pm.

My yappy little chihuahua immediately went into shrieking hysterics. We recently got a new front door (that doesn't have a peephole, but it will have, soon) and so I yelled "who is it?" Dog immediately intensifies her barking and shrieking so I can't hear the person on the other side. 

Then I put dog in bathroom and asked again (dog still hysterical in the background.)

Person said NiCor Gas here, mam. I then looked out the window, and there was a full sized Nicor gas truck with flashing caution lights and the person on the front step was wearing a Nicor gas uniform. (was a woman, btw)

She encouraged me to call Nicor, and she was legit, and WAS called out to my house...BUT. it was WEIRD. Someone had called about a gas leak at MY address (but not with my phone number.) They didn't leave a name.

She asked if she could check the gas meter just to be safe, and I said, yes please, go ahead (it's outside now since a year ago.)

I just can't figure out why someone would do that. (She said she'd put a false  incident report in.) The end 😂

On 1/27/2020 at 4:48 PM, frenchtoast said:

I did get an interesting family tree from my aunt recently

I wonder if it was as shocking as what I found out from a 23 and Me DNA test I was gifted for the holidays? I just got the results back this week.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, zoomama said:

i am planning to get my sewing machine out for some distraction very soon. and after my carpal tunnel procedure next month, i will be able to hold a paintbrush again soon.  i

The only thing I regretted about getting carpal tunnel surgery was that I didn't do it years sooner! What a relief it was. Best of luck to you.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 3

My husband went to Puerto Rico ahead of me (I'll go in a couple of days)

He just called me from PR....

him: wow! What a game!
me: {coming up from a really good book} game? what game?
him: the Super Bowl!
me: oh that's right, they played the football thing today, right?
him: proceeds to tell me what felt like every last detail of it 🙄
me: ....

😂PS I'm glad he was with people who also enjoy watching it  for a change

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

My husband went to Puerto Rico ahead of me (I'll go in a couple of days)

He just called me from PR....

him: wow! What a game!
me: {coming up from a really good book} game? what game?
him: the Super Bowl!
me: oh that's right, they played the football thing today, right?
him: proceeds to tell me what felt like every last detail of it 🙄
me: ....

😂PS I'm glad he was with people who also enjoy watching it  for a change

I'm a Chiefs fan but have not watched football since I was in college. They seem to play better when I'm not watching, so I didn't even bother trying to view the game. I did frequently check for updates though. 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

You must have gotten quite apprehensive when they were down 10 in the 4th quarter!

I saw it was 20-10 and said some things I won't repeat on here. Checked back a bit later and saw it was 31-10, and I was so confused. Then I just started screaming incoherently as it dawned on me what it meant. LOLOL

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3