Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Panopticon said:

I used to yell “I don’t know what to do with the body— that’s your job!”

Bahahaha that's awesome. My dad often pretends to be a burglar who answered the phone. 😂

• LOL 5

One of my grandsons turned 11 last month. My daughter just sent me this:

He said when he’s done college he’s going to move in with you and take care of you so no mean people try to take advantage of your old age and steal your social security number 🤣

• LOL 12
  • Love 11
On 1/24/2020 at 11:43 AM, Barb23 said:

I got an automated call last week from a local number. It stated that Social Security was issuing a warrant for my arrest because of fraudulent use of my SS number.  So far no one has shown up to arrest me but my husband has my packed bags ready to go by the front door in case they do. ☺

I may "Press 1" next time if they call to see if I get a real person & to play along with them.  Like acting upset & rambling off 8 random numbers when they ask for my SS# which is probably the main reason of the call.  I just wonder how long they keep the call going. 

Wouldn't they go after the people who fraudulently used your SSN?  I got an email stating that I had $35 million in a bank based in Nigeria.  At the end of the email, they added an email address that was for the "fraud" department and to let them know if anyone else contacted me.  Use a little common sense when coming up with your scam buddy.

It has been a crazy 25 days of 2020, and I feel like it's just getting started.  One of Mr. Six's coworkers lost his wife a few weeks ago.  She was only 39 and a month older than Mr. Six.  We had to get a new dishwasher and kitchen faucet.  Mr. Six did the install of the faucet himself, and I heard him in the kitchen saying he makes way too much money to be laying on the floor & curled up in our cabinet.  The guy is 6'2", and there's a garbage disposal under there.  But, the new one is pretty and has a LED light.  Our internet/cable contract expired, so Fios came out today to get us set up with a new system.  He was here for 2 hours.  Our oldest cat gave me a heart attack earlier this week.  I thought she was having a seizure and collapsed.  Turns out, it was a furball.  She's doing fine now.  My grandmother-in-law lost her 92-year-old brother last night.  He had been sick for quite some time, but now there's only her and one brother left.  I will be spending this week researching new home/auto insurance.  I'm done with Liberty Mutual, and I can't wait to tell them to shove it.  

galaxy-I hope you feel better soon.  Have you been tested for mono?
christina-I am so sorry about your babies.  I know you did everything for them that you could.
jyn-I love the pic!  You look great!

I hope you all have a nice, calm, and happy Sunday!!

• Love 15
16 hours ago, Absolom said:

Social Security will contact you by phone occasionally if you have contacted them first or have a claim pending.

Come to think of it back when someone from the local social security office called to say id get more in benefits if I filed under the Ex husband because we were married more than 10 years. I told her we had been divorced a very long time and I had remarried. Not eligible to file under his. But she really did work for the government and she was trying to help (I had her card from before) but not trying to scam. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I've been traveling (still am not home yet) and reading here but not posting much.

@sixlets, I wish you a less crazy time in the coming weeks. You've had enough to deal with for awhile!

@Christina87, I'm also sorry about your babies.

I have a landline at home which I keep. It's been there since before I had a mobile number, and is the phone number I use for my accounts, shopper cards, etc. I don't give out my mobile number to any business if I can help it. So 99.9% of the junk/scam calls I get, are on my landline and not cluttering up my mobile. Thank goodness. Plus, TBH the call quality when using my landline is usually better than on the mobile, so there's that.

I also have a Panasonic cordless phone set at home and LOVE the call blocking feature. But what's really helped is that I signed up with nomorobo.com and now not so many of the crap calls get through at all. 

I've noticed - and it's been widely reported as mentioned above - that the junk calls that do get through now, start with the same six digits as my landline phone number (example, not my actual numbers: 560-443-xxxx). This is called, I think, "spoofing," where the caller ID shows a number the scammers choose instead of the actual number they are calling from. Using your area code and first three numbers is intended to make you think it's a legit local call.

With a few exceptions, I don't answer any call if I don't recognize the name/number on the caller ID. If I pick up a call and get silence on the other end, I start randomly quickly punching buttons on the phone, using ## and ** a lot. When I quit punching, I hear the "fast busy" error tone on the other end. Maybe I've fooled a robo calling machine into thinking it's a fax number, lol. I really don't know and don't care. 

These constant scam/junk calls have turned me into a real beeyotch, I suppose. I got a call from a number/name of company I didn't recognize. The woman said she was taking a health survey for our state health department (the area code was NOT one of our state area codes, BTW) and wanted to ask me questions about my health. I responded basically, WTF, I don't believe a word you're saying and no way in hell I'm talking about my personal health info to a stranger who calls me on the phone. She was starting to argue and I hung up. Then a couple of days later I got a call from the same number, answered it, and it was a guy. Same thing. He assured me it was legit, some federal grant and the state health department was doing a legit survey. I repeated, I didn't care if it was legit, I'm not. talking. about. my. health. with a stranger who calls me on the phone. Goodbye.

BTW I googled it later and it may have been legit. Even if it were? I don't do surveys. I don't need a fifty cent discount on my next taco order or a chance (supposedly) to win a thousand bucks, by going online to rate my shopping/fast food checkout experience. I REALLY never participated workplace surveys, unless specifically instructed that it was mandatory. I may choose to share my experiences and opinions, as is clear from my participation here, but I also choose to refuse to play just because someone else decides they want to do a survey.

And, while we're at it, get off my lawn. 🤣

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 13

My rant of the week is about three separate women knocking on my door to talk to me about Medicare. Yes, turning 65 later this year. I knew I would have an onslaught of mail from when Ozziedad turned 65, but people coming to your door!?! Do people really make decisions based on some random stranger coming to your house? I noticed that all three women had the same look, were about 50 and had a nice car. Must be a uniform or they all read the same Dress for Success book.

• Love 4

I'm turning into a practical hermit because I don't answer the phone or the door if I don't know or expect the person/call. I have been bombarded with spam calls over the last few months, for some reason, even though I double checked that my number is on the do not call list.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 8

People still call looking for previous owner of this number. It’s been 9-10 months. Including cable people saying she has home appointment/ owes money. Umm you think. Guess she hasn’t paid her cable bill in almost a year. Doctor appointments etc. and she is local since doctors are local. 

• Love 3

The crack crisis was only a crisis because addicted babies pull at people's hearts even if they're not white.

@Nysha howdy! While I do think most people have more empathy in their hearts for babies and pre-pubescent children, I don’t think that’s why the crack crisis was a “crisis”. IMO I think it was deemed a crisis because of the fear that the babies born addicted to crack would likely always be so physically and mentally disabled they wouldn’t be able to perform in the lower rungs of the economy. An entire generation of poor black people who can’t even sweep floors, clean hotel rooms or work in daycares? BAD FOR BUSINESS.

Yeah I’m cynical like that. And given all of the ableism in the black community itself, it was a fear of how disability would effect  the economy more than the concern for the babies or the mothers themselves. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

My rant of the week is about three separate women knocking on my door to talk to me about Medicare. Yes, turning 65 later this year. I knew I would have an onslaught of mail from when Ozziedad turned 65, but people coming to your door!?! Do people really make decisions based on some random stranger coming to your house? I noticed that all three women had the same look, were about 50 and had a nice car. Must be a uniform or they all read the same Dress for Success book.

Wow, I have never heard of such a thing so I checked on Google & it says the door to door Medicare sales people are scams & usually happen around open enrollment time. It says  Medicare never solicits door to door.  

I wonder how many trusting folks let these people in esp since the solicitors are older?  Too bad it's not safe to let them in but  I think it would be interesting to hear their spiel & find out what they are selling or want. They may just want the person's SS#.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Wow, I have never heard of such a thing so I checked on Google & it says the door to door Medicare sales people are scams & usually happen around open enrollment time. It says  Medicare never solicits door to door.  

I wonder how many trusting folks let these people in esp since the solicitors are older?  Too bad it's not safe to let them in but  I think it would be interesting to hear their spiel & find out what they are selling or want. They may just want the person's SS#.   

I get loads of phone calls from private insurance agents trying to get us to sign up for a Medicare supplement or a Medicare Advantage plan.  Maybe these are the same people going to people's homes?

• Love 1

I received a letter a few weeks ago addressed to "Resident" that was supposedly from some California organization that is doing a "health survey".  I was one of only 2500 people to receive this letter!!! (Sure, Jan) By replying to the letter, or, better yet, replying on line, I would give these people complete access to all of physical, mental, sexual, and any other kind of health info.  My name would be kept in a private account, so they "should" be able to keep it confidential.  Since they sent this to my home, I'm assuming that it wouldn't be hard to find my name.  Yeah, no.  The letter went in a shedder immediately.  I wonder how many people didn't read the entire letter and gave up all their health info.  Read carefully, folks.  They are all around us.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Names of today are something. Came across this set on Facebook 

Jayce 9

Rayce 6

Grayce 2

Reese 1

Tripp newborn

Guess didn’t want to spell it Rhys and Trypp. 

If they'd stuck to the formula of ending all the names with an "e", the baby might have ended up as Tripe.

• LOL 10
4 hours ago, ozziemom said:

At least you got women. I got Men. I live in a gated community that has No Solicitation signs posted and they trot up to my door or Saturday afternoons. I am not doing business with someone who stalks me. My friend gave me the number of a lady she was turned on to who is professional, intelligent and not knocking on my door. Where do these people find our information? One guy had too many of my personal facts for me to be comfortable with. I also agree that these could also be scammers of thieves. I just didn’t expect it where I live. No place is safe. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Jayce 9

Rayce 6

Grayce 2

Reese 1

Tripp newborn

Bristol Palin has a child named Tripp.  Then the little boy here in Georgia, who was injured and years later died, when a tree limb fell on him at daycare, was named Tripp.  

• Love 2
21 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Bristol Palin has a child named Tripp.  Then the little boy here in Georgia, who was injured and years later died, when a tree limb fell on him at daycare, was named Tripp.  

When I hear Tripp, I always think it’s a boy who is named Something Something the Third. Like his name is Joe Smith III but he goes by Tripp. That’s the only time I’ve ever seen anyone named Tripp!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

When I hear Tripp, I always think it’s a boy who is named Something Something the Third. Like his name is Joe Smith III but he goes by Tripp. That’s the only time I’ve ever seen anyone named Tripp!

If a boy is Something Something the Third I have seen them referred to as "Trey" but never "Tripp." Bristol Palin has the only "Tripp" I have heard of.

• Love 4

There was a character in Star Trek Enterprise whose nickname was Trip. He was Charles Tucker III and thus Trip. And that is the only one that I know.

I did get an interesting family tree from my aunt recently. Weirdly, around the same time, another friend had linked to something about an ancestor from the Mayflower on Facebook and my husband flippantly commented how I also had ancestors from the Mayflower and you can order it from Sears. And some lady we didn't know kind of went off on him. When I checked the family tree, there are several ancestors from the Mayflower. I did comment, however, that a distant family member had done a whole ton of research and sent out all sorts of family history stuff pre-Internet and that yes, I have ancestors from the Mayflower. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/26/2020 at 9:01 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:
On 1/26/2020 at 8:27 AM, galaxychaser said:

Jayce 9

Rayce 6

Grayce 2

Reese 1

Tripp newborn

Read more  

If they'd stuck to the formula of ending all the names with an "e", the baby might have ended up as Tripe.

They needed to stick to the formula and have Reyse and Trype. How are Jayce, Rayce, and Grayce going to feel when they learn that their spoiled little brothers got normal spellings for their names?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I’m replacing some of my single Eye shadows. I just ordered these. I’m kind of inspired to play with makeup again. I think this is a pretty good range of the colors I would wear along with the Urban Decay naked honey palette I got for my birthday, and my tartlette in bloom palette by Tarte. 

My skin tone is between an Alicia Keys and a Meghan Markle (I am not insinuating I am as pretty as either of those women, just giving you an idea of what I think looks flattering on me). 

09F50023-94D8-4480-8F58-558AEB62B3EF.jpeg

B564AAC3-5339-4215-BC54-D943C3678768.jpeg

718974B8-554B-4C1F-B8EC-B7807F56DD02.jpeg

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Zella said:

I really like those colors, @Scarlett45! I don't wear makeup and am terrible at matching colors myself, so I can't add anything of more substance than that, sadly, but I love both the colors and the names! 🙂 

Thanks! I’m really digging the very deep browns for my crease to deepen brighter colors, and the nice mid tone browns to blend things out as well as add a little something to my eyes for a neutral work look. 

• Love 3

Love the Eternally Grapeful!

I’ve been trying to get back into makeup. I wear minimal make up, but I’m ready to look a little more polished. I bought lipstick and wore it to church. Lots of smiling, lots of talking....I get to the car and see that I have lipstick on my teeth. I’ve worn it one time since then. Trying to convince myself to get back in the saddle.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Love the Eternally Grapeful!

I’ve been trying to get back into makeup. I wear minimal make up, but I’m ready to look a little more polished. I bought lipstick and wore it to church. Lots of smiling, lots of talking....I get to the car and see that I have lipstick on my teeth. I’ve worn it one time since then. Trying to convince myself to get back in the saddle.

I’m the type I wear nothing- or I do a full face. Very little in between. 

I do keep a nice neutral lip color at my desk to just pop something on when the mood strikes. I love eye makeup but it just takes so much dang time to do in the morning. I once worked with an assistant to the head admin on the floor- every day she had flawless eye make up and false lashes. EVERY SINGLE DAY. I often wondered what time she got up in the morning. She looked beautiful but how much time did that take each day?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m the type I wear nothing- or I do a full face. Very little in between. 

I do keep a nice neutral lip color at my desk to just pop something on when the mood strikes. I love eye makeup but it just takes so much dang time to do in the morning. I once worked with an assistant to the head admin on the floor- every day she had flawless eye make up and false lashes. EVERY SINGLE DAY. I often wondered what time she got up in the morning. She looked beautiful but how much time did that take each day?

I wear what I consider a full-face almost every day.  My skills stop at winged liner and falsies.  It does take me around 30 minutes each day to put it on, but that includes my skincare.  I put on one layer of skincare, take a sip of coffee, put on my first coat of mascara, take a sip of coffee, put on the next layer of skincare, take a sip of coffee, clean up the mascara on my eyelids, take a sip of coffee, etc.  The actual time I apply my makeup is around 12 minutes after taking the time for all the skincare to absorb.  Then I get dressed, refill the coffee and attack my hair.  

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

The only thing I am religious about is sunscreen!

I'm an obsessive sunscreen user as well. I burn just thinking about the sun. I usually order Japanese sunscreens off YesStyle and Amazon.

• Love 1

I don't do makeup, but I am pretty religious about skincare. But I tend to be allergic to a lot of stuff (like I guess everything Oil of Olay has ever made), so I pretty much have to stick with Burt's Bees products, and even some of them have caused allergic reactions. I've heard good things about The Ordinary products. Have any of you used them--and if so, are they good for sensitive, oily skin?

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't do makeup, but I am pretty religious about skincare. But I tend to be allergic to a lot of stuff (like I guess everything Oil of Olay has ever made), so I pretty much have to stick with Burt's Bees products, and even some of them have caused allergic reactions. I've heard good things about The Ordinary products. Have any of you used them--and if so, are they good for sensitive, oily skin?

I've used Ordinary and I find them to be a mixed bag. I like the Buffet and Matrixyl serums, but the Alpha Arbutin dried my skin out horribly. I think the biggest plus in their favor is the low price point. It gives you the opportunity to try out different ingredients without spending a fortune. If something doesn't work, you're only out ten bucks, give or take. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Zella said:

I love The Ordinary.  I also have sensitive skin and I like that their products are very basic.  Most of them are single ingredient serums so you can mix and match to get what you need. IT's also an easier way to slowly incorporate new ingredients into your routine.  Much easier to see if you react to a specific ingredient when it's the only ingredient in the product and not 50 others.   I have used and repurchased--

This vitamin C-- https://www.ulta.com/ascorbyl-glucoside-solution-12?productId=pimprod2007131

Buffet

Their lactic acid solution

Their Azelaic Acid

I am currently also using their niacinamide solution, basic moisturizer, argan oil, and hyalronic acid.  They work.  Will probably repurchase because they are so cheap.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I guess I do a full face every day for work, but it takes me less than 30 minutes from start to finish. Plus, I am suuuuper pale and have very dark circles under my eyes, so I would probably scare small children without makeup. But I enjoy wearing makeup so it's not a chore for me to put it on.

I'm also finding my lips are getting paler as I get older, so that's fun. My hairdresser told me some women get microblading on their lips to give them a pinker color. I had never heard of that before, just microblading on brows. 

• Love 2

I'm another who finds that less is more regarding makeup the older I get. I rarely wear it, and when I do it's pretty much just a swipe of lipstick, a bit of mascara, a brow pencil and a touch of blush. 

I did find a foundation which I really like from Ulta recently...I almost never like the way foundation looks, especially after it's been on for a bit, as I feel that the natural texture of skin, even with it's imperfections (and I have quite a lot of dark spots) is still more attractive than a mask-like finish. But this one (their "youthful glow foundation serum drops") gives a moderately sheer finish, but is buildable if you want heavier coverage here or there. It also gives a blurring effect, and, I find, if I look in a mirror hours after I've applied it, that it actually looks even better than it did when it was fresh. Not an ad for Ulta, just a product that I'm really happy with.

I only do eye makeup for special occasions these days, other than the mascara and brow products, but I do enjoy playing with it from time to time.

• Love 6

I don't wear foundation.  The most I do is tinted moisturizer now and then. I do brush in brow powder because they are white if I don't color them and half because of hypothyroid.  Is Sofa Sloth on this forum? She is an expert in microblading and I am seriously considering that.  I use blush and lip color - I am old.  I have wrinkles and tiny eyes, so need some help to look alive.

• Love 5

I do makeup everyday for work. It takes about 15 minutes and I do it while I nibble on breakfast. That’s for a full face minus liquid foundation, but I do use concealer, pressed and loose powder. Brows, blush, mascara and gel eye liner complete the look.  I’m pretty lazy about it though since I use the exact same palette everyday-Urban Decay Honey.  If I’m going out it’s Urban Decay-Cherry, and if I’m trying to look hey hey hey-ready (TMI I know), or have a date it’s Urban Decay-Smoky.  Made up but professional is the look I go for; I’m not on Instagram so I see no need to look like I am ready for a selfie at all times.  

My skin care routine consists of four things: dead sea mud soap, Lancome Visionnaire, Olay Luminous Whips with sunscreen for the day moisturizer and a nighttime serum from Ulta.  

@Marshmallow Mollie, try MAC lipstick. The mattes in particular stay on like nothing I’ve ever seen.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, EVS said:

I’m quoting my own post because this was the last post I made in this thread. I’m sorry I haven’t responded sooner. I have been struggling emotionally the last few months and needed to take a break. 

I want to very belatedly thank everyone who posted encouraging messages and helpful information. I appreciated it more than you know. 

I found out that I am stage 3 with intermediate risk so I definitely need treatment. I am currently trying to get into a clinical trial. I met with the specialist in charge of the trial and passed the pre-screening. I will be doing the full screening probably next week and hopefully finally begin treatment soon. 

My prognosis is still good and I know that I am lucky. I have been lurking occasionally, and I know that many others here are going through worse issues or have family members who are suffering or have passed away. I’m sorry for not responding to those posts individually, but please know that you have all been in my prayers.  It seems like many of us had a difficult 2019. I pray that we all have a better 2020. 

Glad to know you have a good prognosis.  Wishing you a good treatment plan and good support.  My son is still struggling with his kidney cancer.  We are awaiting the latest scan results.  So, I can relate.  Sending healing hugs.

• Love 14

EVS, thanks for updating us. I hope you're able to quickly and easily get into the clinical trial and it works out.

lookeyloo, you, your son, and your family are in my thoughts. 

I hate cancer. It's everywhere and it sucks. 

• Love 9