Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

That's a good idea. I will check around ours too. 

Check all your other vents as well, including hot water and furnace.  Otherwise a visit from Orkin is well worth the price.  If mice can get in, so will wasps, chipmunks,  rats and other vermin.

• Love 6

I’ve heard of blocking holes with steel wool. Problem is, good chewers will end up bleeding to death, and could die inside a wall. Filling a hole with steel wool and caulking it so they can’t enter would be better. The sticky traps work. They still die, but you know where they are.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

Check all your other vents as well, including hot water and furnace.  Otherwise a visit from Orkin is well worth the price.  If mice can get in, so will wasps, chipmunks,  rats and other vermin.

Yes I have Orkin coming every other month (I have a plan because I just don’t do ants or other beings), with my plan if you have a problem before your next scheduled appointment they come at no additional charge. 

• Love 5

I had a rat in the engine compartment of my car, and I bought peppermint spray that is designed especially for cars--apparently it is a big problem.  It worked very well.  I recommended it to a lady I know that had a mouse in her house, and she says it solved her problem, too.  Apparently rodents don't like peppermint!

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

After exploring the property I think it may have come in through the furnace in the basement, my Mom is doing the tried and true thing and getting moth balls (Which she trusts more than the exterminator). 

I'm delurking to say, don't use mothballs, especially in the house.  The fumes they create can affect you and the cats, and won't work to keep mice away.   I found an article from Oregon State's Extension with details.

We had mice earlier in the winter/fall - they like to move in when the weather gets cold.  Snap traps baited with peanut butter catch the ones inside, and blocking access with steel wool and caulk helps keep them out.  Poison just makes them die in the walls and stink the house up - been there, done that - or kills the wildlife outside that finds the carcass. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I had a rat in the engine compartment of my car, and I bought peppermint spray that is designed especially for cars--apparently it is a big problem.  It worked very well.  I recommended it to a lady I know that had a mouse in her house, and she says it solved her problem, too.  Apparently rodents don't like peppermint!

So sorry! I soaked cotton balls with peppermint and put them in the kitchen for this reason. 

@RandomTrivia I would only put Mothballs in the basement- not in the living areas. Thank you for the heads up. 

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 8:47 PM, frenchtoast said:

Allow me a small vent of sorts. Skip once your eyes start crossing.

My son is 17 and will be graduating (we hope) at the end of May. He has a friend who we don't know well. He has regaled A-boy with some pretty horrendous stories about abuse and such from his family, but he didn't go to the same school as our son. If he had, we would have alerted the school as mandated reporters. (He graduated last year from a program aimed at at risk students while son attends the public high school.) The friend graduated from that program last May and so is not eligible for any assistance from there as it is.

The friend has always raised some red flags and hackles for me. He is always a victim, everyone is out to get him, he has proof all of these wrongs. Undoubtedly, he has many issues. Apparently, he was kicked out and ended up at a hospital (though he wouldn't tell A-boy where.) He begged A-boy to convince us to let him stay with us. And we said no because we don't know what's going on about a court date because his mom is pressing charges (and even that was like pulling teeth to get that basic info). He called A-boy tonight and spoke with us all on speakerphone saying he was being kicked out of where he was because he's gay (we knew that recently) and where he is some Christian place that won't let him stay. And he can't not have an address because he'll be arrested. Which...again, red flags. A-boy was very quiet (as usual) and when he spoke it was to try to calm his friend down and point him in a better direction. We tried to find some safe home housing information quickly, but he wouldn't take it. (Again, red flag). He didn't have a phone (which, you're using a phone) and it's his dad's phone and his dad was going to take him to the homeless shelter and he's going to jail and he'll die in jail. 

And we stayed firm, he wasn't coming to our house. We've been having work done in the house as we are preparing to move (sob!!!) in the summer. In fact, we are leaving the kids alone over the weekend while Mr. Toast and I do some house hunting/learn about new builds. I really don't want him in my house when we are not home and I know that it will not be just one day. My daughter has anxiety issues that we've gotten her help for and I really didn't want her be around that. A-boy understands and feels bad but is not angry at us about it. Even so, I feel bad. I'd like to be a safe place for someone in need, but there are so many issues with this and I have a strong feeling a lot is being withheld. But still, he's a young person who has had a difficult time and feels hopeless and a door was closed in his face.

It's been a lot. Yeah. Just needed to vent a little. Thanks for the space.

You did everything you could to help him, he chose not to accept the help you offered.  That is on him, not you. If you are not comfortable having him in your home (and I wouldn't be, either); then he cannot stay with you.  Your first responsibility is to yourself and your own family, especially to your minor children who count on you for protection.  When someone asks for help, we should offer our assistance; but you are never obligated to submit to manipulation and blackmail.  It might be a little callous, but 'beggars can't be choosers' and this kid doesn't get to decide that he is moving into your home.

You are also correct in that there is something seriously fishy about this situation and there is no reason for you to expose your family to whatever risks might be involved with having this boy staying in your home.  Just the fact that there is apparently not a single family member or other friend willing to take him in would give me pause.  He sounds like he has some very serious problems and that moving into your home is not going to solve them and may make them worse.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I have Orkin coming every other month (I have a plan because I just don’t do ants or other beings), with my plan if you have a problem before your next scheduled appointment they come at no additional charge. 

I had major problems with mice a couple years ago and, after spending many months and lots of money trying to fix the problem, I called Orkin, too. Problem solved. They come out every couple of months and keep things under control.  When I found a hornet's nest in the exhaust vent for my bathroom fan last summer, the guy came out right away and vacuumed those suckers outta there in a minute.  Very happy with their service.

BTW, did you know mice can fit through an opening only a quarter of an inch wide?  I bought metal screening and put it over the dryer and furnace vents to the outside and the Orkin guy put some sort of caulk/steel wool stuff into the tiny cracks around the windows and vents and that seemed to do the trick.  My house is about 80 years old, so there are bound to be some c***** in the foundation where it has settled, etc.

On two different occasions, mice came into my garage and chewed wires under the hood on my car.  They're drawn to the warmth of the engine in cold weather.  Both times, they chewed fancy electronics that cost several hundred bucks to fix.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

mmm ramen haven’t eaten any in a year plus. Too much salt. 

I get the low or no sodium packets of flavoring and use them instead. I’ll also put frozen veggies into the water the last minute of boiling. I agree about what they give you is too salty. Actually I find a lot of foods too salty. Even some frozen dinners can have a full days allowance of sodium in one serving. I’m a label reader. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I get the low or no sodium packets of flavoring and use them instead. I’ll also put frozen veggies into the water the last minute of boiling. I agree about what they give you is too salty. Actually I find a lot of foods too salty. Even some frozen dinners can have a full days allowance of sodium in one serving. I’m a label reader. 

I don’t eat frozen dinners anymore either. I used to put a whole bag of frozen broccoli and a couple eggs in ramen. Yummy. I used to eat the ones in individual bags for $.30 each. 

I lowered my blood pressure some. Salt is bad. But I do miss salty snacks. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Jenniferbug those sound emitters work? Like from chewy.com?

The ones we got came from Amazon. It seemed like they worked for 6 months, but since we've had 2 mice in 2 days, I think they don't actually work and it was just a coincidence. But that may be down to the brand or type we got. The reviews are pretty mixed. 

Ultrasonic Pest Repeller [6 Pack ], Electronic Plug in, Pest Reject,Non-Toxic, Cruelty-Free Repellent for Mice, Insects, Rats, Chinches, Cockroaches, Spiders, Feas, Flies, Safe for Humans and Pets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N2GW831/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FPOfEb6ZVDKR8

• Love 1
On 1/7/2020 at 9:41 PM, Zella said:

Like @awaken, I would also be interested in the titles of the polygamy books. I've read some articles on the LeBarons, and they're an interesting bunch. I've also been on a Mormon history kick in recent months but more 19th century. LOL 

23 hours ago, zoomama said:

so i got the following:

the polygamists daughter by anna labaron

the sound of the gravel by ruth wariner

the witness wore red by rebecca musser

i orderd them on amazon and paid about $40 total -- didnt want to go to the library.

Thanks for the titles!  I’ll have to check those out. 

Another one I liked was The 19th Wife.  

• Love 3

friends, can i change the subject here.   i just had a conversation with a friend that also has celiac disease and the limitations it make as to our diets and social lives. we were commiserating about it as well as other medical care issues and the run around that i have been getting all.day.long!   then she reminds me that we have a female friend (pushing 60) that lives in her freakin' car permanently. i dont know why....but this gal does. i realized i have so very much to be grateful for in my life. i dont sleep in a car..worrying about someone trying to get in. i am warm at night in my sleep number bed and i do have a shower and clean clothes every day. and even if it IS crappy gluten free food that we have to eat, at least i have food and choices of foods to eat.  my celiac friend really made me step back and adjust my perspective a bit. i cant post this on fb because homeless friend would see it (she has a phone i guess or uses the library computer).  so, there's that.  good night, friends.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, zoomama said:

friends, can i change the subject here.   i just had a conversation with a friend that also has celiac disease and the limitations it make as to our diets and social lives. we were commiserating about it as well as other medical care issues and the run around that i have been getting all.day.long!   then she reminds me that we have a female friend (pushing 60) that lives in her freakin' car permanently. i dont know why....but this gal does. i realized i have so very much to be grateful for in my life. i dont sleep in a car..worrying about someone trying to get in. i am warm at night in my sleep number bed and i do have a shower and clean clothes every day. and even if it IS crappy gluten free food that we have to eat, at least i have food and choices of foods to eat.  my celiac friend really made me step back and adjust my perspective a bit. i cant post this on fb because homeless friend would see it (she has a phone i guess or uses the library computer).  so, there's that.  good night, friends.

Mr. Toast has celiac as well. (And he has gout and kidney stones so has to avoid meat and beans and spinach and mushrooms and a few other foods). Even so, he is glad it's something he can handle by changing diet rather than needing medication. Saying that I realize he means the celiac, not the gout because he takes meds for that. 

And because of his diet, we usually host the big get-togethers so that we can make sure he can eat everything. No one complains because good food is good food. After cooking gluten free for over 15 years, it's like writing a sonnet. I have parameters I have to follow but it allows me to make some really great dishes.

Also, thanks everyone for your support. I still feel for this kid but he's got work he's got to do that we are not equipped to help him with. 

• Love 15
8 hours ago, zoomama said:

. . . then she reminds me that we have a female friend (pushing 60) that lives in her freakin' car permanently. i dont know why....but this gal does. i realized i have so very much to be grateful for in my life. i dont sleep in a car..worrying about someone trying to get in.. . .

@zoomama, I've had occasion to think about that issue a lot over the last year or so. And I'm also one of the fortunate ones - I have a home, a comfy bed, and can fall asleep feeling warm and safe. 

It started when I read an excellent book, Nomadland, (by Jessica Bruder). She spent a lot of time with people who live in their vehicles full time. Many/most of them are older, and are living their vans/RVs/cars (but mostly vans and some RVs) after suffering financial setbacks that left them unable to afford "sticks and bricks" housing. Many of them travel the country and work seasonal jobs to get by.

It opened my eyes to a lot of things. There are more "homeless" (and certainly "houseless") people than we realize. In my city, the cost of housing (purchase prices and rental rates) has shot up in recent years, not quite to California levels but still it's a shock. No way people with modest incomes can easily afford to buy in, or even to rent. I think that plenty of people we encounter around town may be homeless and we don't have a clue. 

Some people have embraced the mobile/nomad life and say they wouldn't go back to sticks and bricks. But a lot of people are sleeping in their cars because, well, they don't have anywhere else. You can find lots of posts like this: http://mywilddreams.net/2017/10/27/vanlife-how-to-where-to-park-and-sleep-in-cities/ - the author seems to have chosen his nomadic life vs. doing it as a last resort. 

I'm not sure why I've become so fascinated with all this. I don't see myself deciding to go live full time in a van, lol. OTOH I may well try some car-sleeping on extended road trips later this year when the weather gets warmer. I don't fancy sleeping in my car in cold weather. Yikes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

About ten years ago, I was camping with friends in a yurt in a state park when I met a woman from Canada who was camping in a regular work van. She opened the back door and I saw that she had a twin bed and some bureaus in there! My reaction was: You can DO THAT? By the time winter came, I had outfitted my minivan with a twin bed mattress on top of 12 storage boxes, and a set of square baskets that fit beside the bed, one for books, one for food, one for techie stuff. I joined a social club for travelers that had chapters all across the country, and away I went! 

I spent two seasons camping in my minivan, then drove a small RV for a couple of years, then sold it and traveled with a friend for a few seasons. Now I have a permanent trailer in an RV park in the south and I still have my home in the north. 

If you're interested in knowing more about people living in vehicles, check out vandwellers on Facebook or Yahoo groups. Look at cheaprvliving.com where Bob Wells gathers all the information you will ever need. Most of the people I have met along the way have been vandwelling for the adventure, not out of necessity. It certainly has been fun for me.

• Useful 10
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Porkchop said:

. If you're interested in knowing more about people living in vehicles, check out vandwellers on Facebook or Yahoo groups. Look at cheaprvliving.com where Bob Wells gathers all the information you will ever need. Most of the people I have met along the way have been vandwelling for the adventure, not out of necessity. It certainly has been fun for me.

@Porkchop! How cool! I've been following the Vandwellers forum. That book (Nomadland) featured Bob Wells and his story, so I started reading at cheaprvliving.com. I think my next step may be to trade in my car for a minivan because I think it would suit me to a T to have a cot and my stuff in the back of a minivan, and hit the road. However, I just  paid for the 75K mile service on the car so I'm not trading vehicles soon. (It's a small SUV and yes I can sleep in the back, it's just not as roomy and comfy as a minivan would be.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Can someone who remembers a lot of details about the wanderwoman saga, especially the reveal that she was a fraud, PM me? I have a question and I don't want to clog up the board.

that sounds kind of interesting to me -- i am so naive about this stuff.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

It’s very short and apparently I look like a man. I see plenty of women with short hair. Oh well I don’t pay them any attention.

They are not worthy of any attention that you would be willing to give them. 

• Love 9

The vandwelling reminded me to mention a podcast that has been a great, relaxing listen on my walks and commute. Parklandia. A couple sold their condo in Chicago and live in an RV full time, traveling to different national parks and reporting on the trails, history, ecology, and food. I’ve been loving it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

It’s very short and apparently I look like a man. I see plenty of women with short hair. Oh well I don’t pay them any attention.

Good.  It only has to look good to you!!

• Love 7

I had an appointment with a counselor today. She's usually very reliable. I've known about 11 months. She didn't show up today. It's not like her. I'm worried something is wrong. She's a nice lady whose job is to help people. If you could pray for her, that would be appreciated. 

• Love 16
On 1/9/2020 at 4:52 PM, galaxychaser said:

Nothing wrong with short hair.  Lots of us wear it short, especially the older you get and your hair thins.

However,  from reading here for years, it appears the greatest sin a woman can commit is not wearing a GOOD BRA.  I knew men were obsessed with breasts,  never knew women were as well!

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

Hey everybody. Just stopping by to say in Marathon key sitting on the beach, having a cold one listening to Buffet. Life is good. Didn't realize how bad I needed a vaca. I'll try to post pict. I took. this from our back porch. Sorry...will post pict soon. Wish u were here. How do u attach from Gallery?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 18
On 1/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, fonfereksglen said:

Nothing wrong with short hair.  Lots of us wear it short, especially the older you get and your hair thins.

However,  from reading here for years, it appears the greatest sin a woman can commit is not wearing a GOOD BRA.  I knew men were obsessed with breasts,  never knew women were as well!

I agree with this. 1. Why would you NOT want to wear a good supportive bra? Life is so much more comfortable with the proper supportive undergarments. 2. The silhouette of your clothing is MUCH improved when the proper undergarments are worn. 3. Why would you not want to wear a good bra???(yes I know that’s a repeat, and I’m checking my privilege that sometimes ladies just have to buy what they can afford). 

I think I was scammed by a cellphone case company I saw on Instagram. I ordered a pretty new case for my phone, received the confirmation and order number but it’s been a week and NO TRACKING information. I sent customer service two emails and nothing. Yes I checked my junk mail. I’m giving it another week and then I’m getting my money back from PayPal. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

I keep being called sir. And I’m wearing women clothes and a hat.  I’m so upset. Are people blind?

Yes, they are.  I have short hair and don't wear makeup, and even when I'm wearing a relatively tight shirt (I'm not lacking in the breast department) I still get called "sir".  

• Love 2

One is a friend another is a coworker.

32 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

@galaxychaser I can't imagine people just stopping you to say they don't like your haircut!  Or if you know these people you need to stop knowing them!!   All that matters is if you like it.  And people don't pay attention.  At all.  

One is a friend another is a coworker 

1 minute ago, beckie said:

My dad passed away today. Apparently a bunch of things happened all at the same time. His kidneys started shutting down again, he had sepsis, and he coded three times.

I’m sorry.  My deepest condolences.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, beckie said:

My dad passed away today. Apparently a bunch of things happened all at the same time. His kidneys started shutting down again, he had sepsis, and he coded three times.

I am so sorry for your loss. May his memory be eternal.

• Love 7

Very sorry for your loss Beckie, my condolences to your family.

I never found that those sound things worked very long.  We never had mice problems until a couple lived next door with their three little ones, and I mean twins and a baby a year younger than the twins.  When they moved out the landlord was beside himself - they'd actually chucked full bags of garbage into the basement if they didn't feel like taking it out.  And they left the place ripped up to shreds.  Felt sorry for him, he had to clean up so much.  Also, since they were so dirty they'd attracted all sorts of pests who started wandering the neighborhood.  That was the fall and winter that scored House Cats 13, Mice 0.  We tried to coax the living ones out of kitty clutches as much as possible but every now and then you'd find one totally eviscerated in the bathroom or dining area in the morning...yuck.  I had another outbreak  last winter, but once again a neighbor was living like a pig and had to get cleaned out.  He's actually still there but landlord told him and his house mate that if they didn't keep it clean they'd be out pronto.  I can't imagine how bad it was.

Any recommendation on those air fryers?

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

One is a friend another is a coworker.

One is a friend another is a coworker 

I’m sorry.  My deepest condolences.

Could your friend and the coworker be joking? I mean if the are they need to work on their sense of humour but they may just think they are funny. Its your hair their thoughts are not important.

• Love 2