Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Porkchop said:

Here is my favorite read of the year:

Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail 

Emma Gatewood was 65 and unhappy in her marriage when she decided to walk the Appalachian Trail in the 1950s. She was the first woman to hike it alone. She started off, wearing a housedress and Keds. No backpack, no hiking boots, no sleeping bag. She enjoyed it so much she did it again! 

I loved this story this story and it might inspire you to do some strange and wonderful thing! (I picture my own grandmother who was about 65 in the 1950s ... she couldn't walk to the store, let alone across many states and many mountains!)

Thanks for the book recommendation. I just got it for my Kindle from my library.

Ahhhhhh.  Laying back on the couch enjoying my very own favorite read of the year.  For the old timers on this thread (and most of us are), guess who has a brand new website???   Yyyyyyyyep, my (thank you, God) ex-SIL is back in business.  Ready to rescue all the potentially sex trafficked humans of the world.  I kid you not, he’s trying it again.

For your reading pleasure, I give you:  relentlessinternational.org

I don’t want to hack him (hacking is probably illegal).  But hoooooooey, boy, if we can all cough up a way to throw some shade...

Do I really care?  I don’t.  I don’t care what he does, or where he does it.  But I do hate to see him sucking in other people.  It is bizarre to me that anyone would follow this very scary man.  Why can’t other people see him as a very scary man when it’s so obvious to me?  And why, why, why is he so damn determined to have a ministry right here in the very neighborhood he screwed up in?  I do not understand!  Makes me want to bang my head on the walls.  WHY would someone follow him off the next cliff?   And yet, my daughter - who graduated with honors (10th I believe, out of around 200) with 4 children - and is a gifted competent RN - fought to the death for this crazy, insane, psychopathic narcissist.   My daughter is not a stupid girl.  His most recent escapade - he just broke up with the girl he broke up his marriage for.  He had his kids spend a full day packing her things to return to her.  Three days later, he moves his new chick in.  She’s divorced 4 months but is 12 weeks pregnant.  

Whatever, Jim Jones.  Whatever.

and just for a side note:  the ex SIL’s first and middle initials are JJ.  My daughter used to call him that as a term of endearment.  I find this quite fitting.

• Love 10

hi everyone, checking in briefly. its been a nice week without listening to my g-son screaming at his computer gaming 'friends'. so far, i have succeeded in locking him (and my hubby) out of the computers. sadly, it has to be that way or else he will just get right back into his gaming.  i thought i would post a quick hello while i am home without them.

• Love 15
19 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

For your reading pleasure, I give you:  relentlessinternational.org

Am I reading this right?  For "About Us", there's just the one guy and he doesn't give his name.  He sells stuff and he's opening a coffee shop to give money to  his anti-trafficking work (but I wonder how many pennies on the dollar they'll actually donate.)  The whole site seems a bit skeevy.  (In case anyone doesn't use that word - our family says that to mean hinky, doesn't-quite-smell-right, or something a bit off.)

Edited by NotFundie
  • Love 5

I started following Lisa Whelchel on SM after she appeared on Survivor. She did the Camino in Spain and met a man she fell head over heels with. Then suddenly it was over. I know she's friends with Bob Goss of Love Does fame,but I didn't think she was full fundy like the Rods. She's pro Halloween, lol. I do hope she finds what she's searching for.

I used to like Lisa Welchel.  Damn.

Today is the 8th anniversary of my dad's passing.  I've also been in the midst of one of my pain cycles, and it just blows.  Happy,  I LOVE your stories!  I know I will be smiling when I read your posts.

Way off topic, but since I got such great advice on the new car situation, I am asking again. This time, it's auto & home insurance.  We've had Liberty Mutual since 2009, and I'm done with them.  The only claim was on our previous insurance (Erie), and that was an accident where the other driver's insurance took full responsibility.  I've only been pulled over once (just don't ask how many times I *should* have been pulled over!), I got a warning, and it was back in January 2004.  Mr. Six was pulled over with a warning back in 2015.  When we renewed back in March of this year, they raised our rates over $350!!  For nothing!!  We've never had a claim on the homeowner's policy, and it was raised over $50 in March too.  I think I want to get 3 quotes, but there's just so many options out there.  I'm only excluding The General, the crazy elephant people, and USAA since we don't qualify.   Thank you!!

• Love 1

@sixlets, I’ve come to the conclusion in my old age that you just have to buckle down and be prepared to change insurance companies every (about) five years.  We’ve never had a homeowners claim, haven’t had a car accident claim in 20 years, my husband has one speeding ticket in the last five years.  Every five years or so we have to change insurance.  I’d had State Farm for my whole driving life until I realized they were creeping up every year.  We changed to Nationwide, who offered us a really good rate.  They kept creeping up until we had enough and changed to another big one (can’t even remember who).  My husband, who currently pays the bills, mentioned the other day that we’ve about reached his pain threshold again.  Do your research and get the best rate, and in about five years, do it all over again.  

What kind of car did you get?  Sorry if you said already.

my own personal dilemma right now is health insurance.  Why doesn’t someone in Washington take up the flag and scream until this is fixed?  Why don’t we (the little people) scream and kick and cry like babies until it’s fixed?  My entire life, I’ve had good health insurance, usually through my workplace.  Nowadays, we own our own business.  Back when the big changes in healthcare happened, we got the letter from our carrier saying we were being dropped.  Although (they helpfully offered) you can continue to be covered for a little more than double the price.  I want insurance.  I’m willing to pay a reasonable price for insurance.  I’m a responsible adult.   I’m a mature adult staring down the barrel at 60 and I’d like to go there with the comfort of my doctors and a reasonable rate for reasonable coverage.  Why can’t I have that?  I’ve been doing some research and there basically is no coverage available in Georgia for individuals.  Well, there’s kaiser.  But I like my doctor.  I’m not even arguing against OBC.  I’m sure it’s great for some people.  We’re a small company, seven full time, one p/t employee.  I can’t understand why someone doesn’t make a group insurance for small businesses.  One big fat one for alllllll the little guys.  The last time I ranted about this, someone asked why I  haven’t started that insurance company.  I’m not that smart, but I clearly see the need.  Does anyone know of such a company?  I’m not smart enough to found this organization, but I’m plenty smart enough to be the biggest cheerleader.  

I have nerve damage in my foot from one of the many falls I sustained over the summer.  We do have insurance, but it’s mostly major medical.  I get 3 office visits a year.  Two of those are for twice-yearly bloodwork, and one I get to be sick.  You can imagine while I was hobbling around begging for someone to DO something, I had to start paying out of pocket.  My covered office visits are long gone.  My surgery was covered, but only because my husband called the insurance, found out what they’d pay and negotiated with the doc’s office.  [When the doctors office called to verify insurance, the insurance company said “we don’t cover surgery”.  Seriously, that’s what they said.  The end.  Buh-bye!  When my husband called, doing the husband thing, they told him they don’t, in fact, cover “surgery”, but they do cover accidents.   Wait.  What??  They’ll reimburse up to X amt per accident.   How stupid is that?  To dance around terminology when:  my leg is BROKEN!!!].   I have to see a doc called an Intervention Radiologist about the nerve damage.  It’s quite painful and still swells every single day.  My current choices are to a) wait until 2019 or b) pay office visits and whatever procedures it requires out of pocket.  The foot doctor was exceptionally kind and gracious.  I’ve had casts and xrays, a cortisone shot and all manner of STUFF done, along with at least 6 follow up visits before being released.  All under that lump sum for surgery.  

Im sorry, I’m absolutely venting.  It’s just so incredibly frustrating.  I’m going on to the radiologist; the pain is ridiculous.  Keeps me from sleeping at all some nights, and fitfully the rest.  I get stabs of pain that jerk my foot involuntarily to the side.  Two nights ago I lay here crying on the couch.  Sucker hurts.  And I’m still whining.

Ok, I think I got it out of my system for now.  My family’s pretty happy about me seeing a doc with “Interventionist” in his specialty.  They’ve been trying to do an intervention for years.  

I apologize @sixlets, I shanghai’d your post.  

• Love 10
On 10/30/2018 at 9:30 PM, Catfin said:

Is anyone in the Pac NW? I’m here a few days for work. It is gorgeous! 

One of my sons and his family live in Puyallup, a suburb of Tacoma.  It is really pretty except for the long stretch of winter weather.  We save our long visit for summer.  then, spectacular.

• Love 4

@sixlets, we had same problem with Esurance.  Mr Barb involved in accident that wasn't his fault & Esurance wasn't even involved. Not only did our rates go up but they took away his Good Driver benefit & their rep couldn't explain why. We had Liberty Mutual before that with no problems.  We have State Farm now.  We have had Allstate for our Home insurance since we bought out first house 34 years ago. We have had claims like flooded basement & new siding from major hail damage but rates haven't increased too much.

@Happyfatchick save me a place at your health insurance table.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, sixlets said:

I used to like Lisa Welchel.  Damn.

Today is the 8th anniversary of my dad's passing.  I've also been in the midst of one of my pain cycles, and it just blows.  Happy,  I LOVE your stories!  I know I will be smiling when I read your posts.

Way off topic, but since I got such great advice on the new car situation, I am asking again. This time, it's auto & home insurance.  We've had Liberty Mutual since 2009, and I'm done with them.  The only claim was on our previous insurance (Erie), and that was an accident where the other driver's insurance took full responsibility.  I've only been pulled over once (just don't ask how many times I *should* have been pulled over!), I got a warning, and it was back in January 2004.  Mr. Six was pulled over with a warning back in 2015.  When we renewed back in March of this year, they raised our rates over $350!!  For nothing!!  We've never had a claim on the homeowner's policy, and it was raised over $50 in March too.  I think I want to get 3 quotes, but there's just so many options out there.  I'm only excluding The General, the crazy elephant people, and USAA since we don't qualify.   Thank you!!

We have had good luck with State Farm, over 40 years, two states although we haven't made a claim in this state yet.  But also research how they pay claims.  Some give great rates but if you make a claim they fight you and then raise rates or cancel.  We like to think we will never have to make a claim, but, sometimes we do.

Edited by lookeyloo
Add my forgotten thought that I remembered
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

Y’all must have sent me some vibes!!   My foot/ankle is FABULOUS today!   Whoever it is who has direct-connect line, my foot thanks you.  I thank you.  Best it’s been since July.  I’m a happy child!  Hallelujah, AMEN!!!

So good to hear. You have been through too much! (Wasn’t me, I have no direct connection, just good wishes)

• Love 1

OK...time to get something off my chest, and hopefully not everyone will think I'm completely pathetic. I know how much grief gets thrown the Duggars' way for their lack of medical care, etc...but I have a serious, panic inducing phobia of seeing doctors only to find out that my time is short and ticking by. And with the number of times we had to move with the Navy, there was never a concrete primary care physician, just whoever was stationed at Medical wherever we were, and records never got transferred unless you specifically took care of it...so it was always way too easy to just let it slide...with the result that I have not had any sort of checkup in the past 10 years. Finally, with the pinched nerve in my neck having severely limited what I can do since around July/August, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go in. Even though I seem to be healthy enough on the face of it, I'm overweight enough (about 50 lbs) to put me at risk for any number of things, and I'm utterly convinced that the minute I step foot inside a doctor's office, I will find out I need immediate surgery or chemo, or something that will end up killing me before I ever get well, and whatever last months I have will be fraught with misery and panic. I know it's completely irrational, and hopefully no one will call me out for my stupidity... I do plenty of that myself...but I really need some support in finally making the appointment and getting in there. I'm crying just typing this for fear of just having to make that phone call, to say nothing of what I find out afterwards....

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

OK...time to get something off my chest, and hopefully not everyone will think I'm completely pathetic. I know how much grief gets thrown the Duggars' way for their lack of medical care, etc...but I have a serious, panic inducing phobia of seeing doctors only to find out that my time is short and ticking by. And with the number of times we had to move with the Navy, there was never a concrete primary care physician, just whoever was stationed at Medical wherever we were, and records never got transferred unless you specifically took care of it...so it was always way too easy to just let it slide...with the result that I have not had any sort of checkup in the past 10 years. Finally, with the pinched nerve in my neck having severely limited what I can do since around July/August, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go in. Even though I seem to be healthy enough on the face of it, I'm overweight enough (about 50 lbs) to put me at risk for any number of things, and I'm utterly convinced that the minute I step foot inside a doctor's office, I will find out I need immediate surgery or chemo, or something that will end up killing me before I ever get well, and whatever last months I have will be fraught with misery and panic. I know it's completely irrational, and hopefully no one will call me out for my stupidity... I do plenty of that myself...but I really need some support in finally making the appointment and getting in there. I'm crying just typing this for fear of just having to make that phone call, to say nothing of what I find out afterwards....

You are not stupid and I thought I was the only one who had this feeling about going to the doctor.  I mean I know I am not but that is how it feels.  You have got this.  Every time I get spun I try and remember that medical care has come a long way.  Turning 50 has been hard on me.  The 50s weren't good for my mom and she ended up getting cancer.  Now all I can think of is I am doomed like my mom.  I know it isn't rational but my example of being in your 50s wasn't great.  It is a struggle.  One thing I think of to try and get over it is knowledge is power and its better to fight something early than if its too late.  I also tell myself that if nothing is wrong I spent way too much time worrying.  But you aren't stupid at all.  GIANT HUGS!

• Love 11
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

One of my sons and his family live in Puyallup, a suburb of Tacoma.  It is really pretty except for the long stretch of winter weather.  We save our long visit for summer.  then, spectacular.

I’m on the other side of Seattle in Snohomish County, just in the flight path for the Boeing factory in Everett. But I’ve lived just about everywhere near Seattle other than south of it, and also in Oregon. I’m jealous of anyone who lives in Puyallup, such a short trip to the fair!  And I should probably tag @Catfin since that was who posted the original question. 

• Love 2

@Jynnan tonnix and @Natalie68 -I'm right there with you.  Luckily we have health insurance.  And when I was younger I would bop into the dr. office and wait for the all clear - but then once it wasn't (but I knew that before the visit) and even though it is now, I still have that trepidation for every doctor appointment regardless of what for.  I prepare myself for the end every time I step into the door of any dr. office.  But, yes, what you said Natalie68, medical care has come a long way, better to find out early, and relief when I leave the office.  

1 hour ago, jennblevins said:

I’m on the other side of Seattle in Snohomish County, just in the flight path for the Boeing factory in Everett. But I’ve lived just about everywhere near Seattle other than south of it, and also in Oregon. I’m jealous of anyone who lives in Puyallup, such a short trip to the fair!  And I should probably tag @Catfin since that was who posted the original question. 

this is for @Catfin too - we have been to the fair a few times and of course love it.  The son and family go multiple times a season.  Granddaughter has dance events at the fairground in the winter so we go back.  No fair, but one of the big buildings is all decked out.

• Love 4

Yeah, luckily we have Tricare, which, though it pretty much limits you quite a bit as far as doctors (we have to stay within the system on base unless we get a consult to a specific place elsewhere, takes care of the bills without a whole lot of outside hassle. Last time I used it personally was when I had a hysterectomy  10 years ago when we were stationed in Hawaii...It almost killed me because it turned out I had some sort of pelvic infection which left me on the edge of going septic and spent two weeks in hospital, plus another three or four on a wound-vac closing up the jagged tear from bellybutton to pelvic bone after the original stitches gave way....And I'm not entirely sure how it all works now that Mr Jyn is retired. But overall, I very rarely get even a cold,, and seem to have the immune system of an ox. But I am about to turn 60, so there are a lot of things I'm well overdue for screenings for. And I've pushed it for far too long.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 4

@Jynnan tonnix, you brought out the mom in me, and I’m pretty sure we’re too close in age for me to be your mom.  DO NOT let fear of the unknown stop you in your tracks.  It’ll be far far easier for you to deal with ANYthing if you grab it and make it yours.  You don’t want to keep living with neck pain and limited motion!   If you haven’t been in 10 years, the last time you went was a military facility, right?   You GO and get yourself seen about.  We love you too much around here to ignore your medical issues.  I learned well from my Mama:  don’t think for one second I can’t bug you to death to get something done.  

I’m completely and avidly in the camp that you’d rather know what’s wrong and get the means to fight it than unconsciously be drug down fighting something you can’t identify.  Do it.  

My parents had Tricare.  You need to check into that.  I don’t believe you are limited to the doctors on base any longer.  They don’t realistically expect retired military to stay close to a base.  I drug both my parents to more doctors than (if the Duggars were in fact, health conscious) that whole dang tribe would ever see in a lifetime.  I never have been in the parking lot of the VA in Atlanta for either of them.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  

I say all this out of love for you, sistah.

ETA one more thing about Tricare:  it is AMAZING, well earned insurance.  It’s the one thing we do right for career veterans.  I cared for my parents for about 6 years altogether.  Multiple horrendous illnesses.  Daddy had heart surgery about 4 yrs before he died; Mama was a Type I diabetic with Alzheimer’s.  It was ugly.  For six years (including the end for both), we paid a bill for $135 that slipped through the cracks.  I could’ve argued that one and not paid, but I considered it a donation to the civilian hospital system that gave them both excellent care.  Mama was on hospice for a couple months at the end.  I’m just saying Tricare is good stuff.  You’ll be happy.  Papers, OMG, the PAPERS!!!  Paper, paper, paper.  Pretty sure the VA would save 90 billion a year if they found a more efficient way to communicate.   But good stuff. 

Dont be scared.  ❤️

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Can't believe I just met my medical twin!!  I went twelve years without going to a doctor's office except for appointments for my sons or husband.  I only ended that twelve year span because my hip gave out and it was quite literally a choice between seeking medical help or buying a wheelchair.  (Ended up having a total hip replacement and knee replacement that year.)  Since I had more than met my deductible, I also had a well woman check, mammogram, bone density test, etc. the same year so insurance would pick up the tab.  

It's been over a year, and frankly, I'm hoping to go another twelve or fifteen years before consulting a doctor again.  May not be possible because I'm having more joint and back problems, but I can always hope.  

Somewhat ironically, I guess, I will do almost anything to avoid going to the doctor, but I'm a fanatic about keeping on schedule with my dental checkups and cleanings.  

• Love 2

I am joining the group of hating/avoiding doctor visits. In my defense, I do see my GYN once a year. So I have that going for me. I do have a PCP that I have seen once (I’m still in the system so one was “assigned” to me) but I really need to find someone I like. When I saw him I had a horrible case of the flu several years ago. Only to be told, “suck it up, buttercup.” 

• Love 3

Guh!  I’m listening to a bunch o people related onto my husband.  He’s had back issues for well over a year.  I suspect Its not not going to heal itself... if ive said once, I’ve said 100 times GO HAVE THAT SEEN ABOUT!!  I mean really???   Are you willing to live with that pain for the rest of your life?   I’ve mentioned before he is anti-vegetable.  I’ve warned him.  Ok, bud, when you are paralyzed for life and can’t feed yourself, I’m giving you strained peas, mashed carrots and cauliflower Every.Single.Day.  

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Guh!  I’m listening to a bunch o people related onto my husband.  He’s had back issues for well over a year.  I suspect Its not not going to heal itself... if ive said once, I’ve said 100 times GO HAVE THAT SEEN ABOUT!!  I mean really???   Are you willing to live with that pain for the rest of your life?   I’ve mentioned before he is anti-vegetable.  I’ve warned him.  Ok, bud, when you are paralyzed for life and can’t feed yourself, I’m giving you strained peas, mashed carrots and cauliflower Every.Single.Day.  

Oooh you are cruel. But my ex was anti-vegetable and I get it. 

• Love 3

I agree with @Happyfatchick about Tricare.  It is well deserved by our folks in Service.  My elderly parents are on Tricare thanks to my father's Navy service in WWII, Korea, and  years in the Navy Reserves.  They have complete coverage for any medical bills, and they can apparently see any doctor and hospital they wish.  My brother is handling their bills at this point, but I don't think there has been any problem with paperwork.   It also includes their prescription coverage.  Of course, they are both in their 90's now, and I think it acts as a Medicare supplement , but I'm not sure about that.  I just know so far we haven't had to worry about meds or doctor bills.

• Love 4

Flying home tomorrow, but headed to Spokane in two weeks. Where can I go to increase the odds of a Timothy sighting? ? 

i need to get in for my routine well woman check up as well as a baseline colonoscopy. I’m current for a mammo, but should do a skin/mole check appointment. This post-50 health stuff is for the birds, but we all need to take care of ourselves. Let’s hold each other accountable. ❤️

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm irrationally paranoid about the colonoscopy. 

I've had three. The prep is the worst part, especially if you have to drink that foul-tasting liquid.  But the procedure itself is not bad at all. They will sedate you so you won't know a thing until it's over. You'll be fine, I promise.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm irrationally paranoid about the colonoscopy. 

5 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

I've had three. The prep is the worst part, especially if you have to drink that foul-tasting liquid.  But the procedure itself is not bad at all. They will sedate you so you won't know a thing until it's over. You'll be fine, I promise.

I've had one, and I agree with @Bayarea4. The prep was the worst part, and TBH it wasn't even that bad. I'd expected the stuff I had to drink would be horrible, but it didn't taste as awful as I'd feared. I'd set aside that evening to be at home and often in the bathroom. I just considered it a "good clean-out" as one of my friends does. (Because of family history she's had several colonoscopies over the years.) Tip: schedule the procedure for as early in the morning as possible. Then you and the person who drove you to the appointment can go out and have a nice breakfast. I recall absolutely nothing of the procedure. But when it was over, I was empty - and hungry. Also, it was quite chilly (air conditioning) in the procedure room, and they let me keep my socks on. Just saying. :-)

@Jynnan tonnix, I hope you can get yourself the medical care you need. I don't know that throwing a lot of yak yak at someone with a deep-seated fear (you said phobia) does much good. Especially when you had such a nightmare experience with surgery and infection several years ago. I can only say that you deserve to live without that pain and limitation! There are also some marvelous advances in preventative medicine that have happened just in the last decade that can help us stay well. I'm about a decade older than you. When I'd hit 60, I went in for a checkup and among other things was offered, and got, a shot of the shingles vaccine. I highly recommend that if you are at all at risk for shingles. I recently saw my doctor for a painful foot condition (turned out to be a strained/inflamed tendon on the side of the foot, nothing broken), and while I was there they looked at my health care record and recommended I have the pneumonia vaccine, which I got. 

Navigating the health care system can be a PITA, but I hope you will have a go at it. It seems that you're in a good position by having Tricare. 

Yes, getting a primary care physician that's right for you can take some work, but it's worth it. I've had the same health care coverage for a long time - a regional HMO that's very well-run. Over the years I've had a couple of PCP's I didn't "click" with, and made the effort to look around and choose a different one. My HMO lets you choose. It wasn't a big ordeal, just took a bit of time and paying attention. 

Now, about the being overweight thing. I've been carrying 40+ extra pounds for awhile now.* NOBODY at my doctor's office has discounted any of my symptoms because I'm fat, or just rolled their eyes and told me that whatever was wrong with me would be taken care of if I'd lose weight. Sure, I had the weight and health conversation with my primary care doctor, when I'd gone in for testing after a scary experience being short of breath. But I was treated with respect and given a thorough battery of tests including the dread treadmill heart stress test, not just sent home with a diet sheet and told to come back after I'd lost weight. (I have a family history of cardiac disease. My test results were within normal ranges. My doc said after the treadmill test that I did better than most American women my age. If most American women my age are in worse shape than me? We're in deep trouble, folks. Just saying.)

I think that these days, US doctors see so many severely obese people in their offices, that they aren't going to freak out over a patient who's not even carrying an extra 100 pounds. 

So, I hope you will be encouraged to investigate your options with Tricare, and find a primary care physician you can work with. They are out there, I'm sure.

----------

*I recently changed my way of eating. Although I refuse to get on the scale at home so I don't have numbers, I am now wearing trousers and jeans that are one size smaller than I'd been wearing for 5+ years, but I'm still not svelte. Yet. I'll get there. I gave up grains and sugars, which essentially means no processed foods. I'm finally becoming sort of a cook, my cravings for sweets have gone, and I like eating like this. I view it as a lifelong change.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I've had one, and I agree with @Bayarea4. The prep was the worst part, and TBH it wasn't even that bad. I'd expected the stuff I had to drink would be horrible, but it didn't taste as awful as I'd feared. I'd set aside that evening to be at home and often in the bathroom. I just considered it a "good clean-out" as one of my friends does. (Because of family history she's had several colonoscopies over the years.) Tip: schedule the procedure for as early in the morning as possible. Then you and the person who drove you to the appointment can go out and have a nice breakfast. I recall absolutely nothing of the procedure. But when it was over, I was empty - and hungry. Also, it was quite chilly (air conditioning) in the procedure room, and they let me keep my socks on. Just saying. :-)

@Jynnan tonnix, I hope you can get yourself the medical care you need. I don't know that throwing a lot of yak yak at someone with a deep-seated fear (you said phobia) does much good. Especially when you had such a nightmare experience with surgery and infection several years ago. I can only say that you deserve to live without that pain and limitation! There are also some marvelous advances in preventative medicine that have happened just in the last decade that can help us stay well. I'm about a decade older than you. When I'd hit 60, I went in for a checkup and among other things was offered, and got, a shot of the shingles vaccine. I highly recommend that if you are at all at risk for shingles. I recently saw my doctor for a painful foot condition (turned out to be a strained/inflamed tendon on the side of the foot, nothing broken), and while I was there they looked at my health care record and recommended I have the pneumonia vaccine, which I got. 

Navigating the health care system can be a PITA, but I hope you will have a go at it. It seems that you're in a good position by having Tricare. 

Yes, getting a primary care physician that's right for you can take some work, but it's worth it. I've had the same health care coverage for a long time - a regional HMO that's very well-run. Over the years I've had a couple of PCP's I didn't "click" with, and made the effort to look around and choose a different one. My HMO lets you choose. It wasn't a big ordeal, just took a bit of time and paying attention. 

Now, about the being overweight thing. I've been carrying 40+ extra pounds for awhile now.* NOBODY at my doctor's office has discounted any of my symptoms because I'm fat, or just rolled their eyes and told me that whatever was wrong with me would be taken care of if I'd lose weight. Sure, I had the weight and health conversation with my primary care doctor, when I'd gone in for testing after a scary experience being short of breath. But I was treated with respect and given a thorough battery of tests including the dread treadmill heart stress test, not just sent home with a diet sheet and told to come back after I'd lost weight. (I have a family history of cardiac disease. My test results were within normal ranges. My doc said after the treadmill test that I did better than most American women my age. If most American women my age are in worse shape than me? We're in deep trouble, folks. Just saying.)

I think that these days, US doctors see so many severely obese people in their offices, that they aren't going to freak out over a patient who's not even carrying an extra 100 pounds. 

So, I hope you will be encouraged to investigate your options with Tricare, and find a primary care physician you can work with. They are out there, I'm sure.

----------

*I recently changed my way of eating. Although I refuse to get on the scale at home so I don't have numbers, I am now wearing trousers and jeans that are one size smaller than I'd been wearing for 5+ years, but I'm still not svelte. Yet. I'll get there. I gave up grains and sugars, which essentially means no processed foods. I'm finally becoming sort of a cook, my cravings for sweets have gone, and I like eating like this. I view it as a lifelong change.

Jeeves, I bet you have Group Health?  Now, Kaiser Permanente.  I've had it since 1985 and love it.  My kid's were born in a Group Health hospital, in the 80' with Certified Nurse Midwives.

I've had 2 colonoscpies and I agree with what has been said. I scheduled an 8:00 am appointment, not realizing I had to drink the prep in 2 parts,  meaning I had to wake at 2:00 am to get the second drink in!

My suggestion is to buy a roll of Clorox sanitizing cleaner wipes.  Your toilet will get trashed!  I felt better being able to quickly clean it up without getting out spray cleaner, etc.

• Love 4

I’d like to throw my hat in the ring that mammograms are no big deal. For one, since they cater to women, they have pretty gowns and interesting magazines. The whole ambiance has more warmth than a co Ed office. 

Secondly, I am prudish/modest but the tech is so busy telling you to roll your shoulder this way and rest your hand that way, that you don’t have time to feel exposed.

Lastly, I have only had one time just a particular pose was uncomfortable, but you can do anything for the 10 seconds it takes to take the picture. I can’t stand it when women act like a mammogram is so painful.

I can relate however to getting yourself worked up. I lost a breast to cancer when I was 31. This summer I was scheduled for a regular mammogram appt for the first time instead of a diagnostic mammogram. With a diagnostic mammogram, they don’t let you leave until the radiologist has read your images to be sure you don’t need more imaging. As a result, you know when you leave if the mammogram was clear. So at my mammogram in August I got myself all worked up because I wouldn’t know right away and I ended up crying during the mammo due to nerves. The tech ended up letting me stay and getting the radiologist to go ahead and read it and give me the good news ??

• Love 10

I have an appointment for a physical on Thursday. Have to go in Monday a.m. for fasting labs. Then I guess the next steps will be things like the colonoscopy. It's not going to be a happy week. I'm petrified! But I guess if I'm ever going to get my shoulder fixed I have to start with all this. I'd still rather just live until I die of something without having to worry about the details, but the shoulder pain is forcing my hand. :(

• Love 11

My baby man Mr Norris was trembling at the vet. I decided to take him in because he was urinating outside of the litter box again. 

They didn’t find a UTI- they did see levels of low chronic kidney disease. They suggested another low litter box (arthritis may make climbing in the box difficult) and a new diet (soft food for kidneys). They are giving me samples and I can order it. 

He did have an infection in his ears. No biggie they are treating it. Drops 2x a day (morning and night) until the 12th.

We are home now and he’s eating his new food (he’s never been a finicky eater) but he’s MAD AT ME.

Im glad I took him in. Now that I know it’s just old age stuff (he’s 18) and how to keep him comfortable my mind is at ease. It’s very hard to find a low sided litter box! I found a tiny one they probably use for kittens at 3.5in tall, and that was the lowest I could find (I’m sure my big boxes are more like 6-8inches high). 

• Love 12
14 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

Same here except I have had only 2!  Do what I did if you are embarrassed or nervous.  Remind yourself these doc chose to look at asses day in and day out so at least they get to look at a younger ass for once!  The procedure is easy peasy.  The prep stinks.  The first one I had was a drink that was over pretty fast and worked nearly immediately.  Besides wanting to have had better tp, I was fine. The second one I was literally crying at one point because it was awful and I had to drink so much (figured out 1 mouthful was 1 oz, only way I got through it).  I had to drink a lot that night and then again at 5am.  And this prep was nearly violent.  Didn't work until about 3 hours after I drank it and then jesus christ, I had to get into the bathroom NOW!  Luckily I was close to the bathroom.  I hated prep #1 until I had prep #2.  I would do prep #1 all day long compared.  The drugs they gave me didn't knock me totally out so I was enjoying watching it on the tv and marveling at how pink the inside of my colon was.  HA!  Then I had a FABULOUS lunch to celebrate it being over.

• Love 6

@Scarlett45, here’s the one we bought for my elderly cat: Lucky Champ Litter Pan. The entrance is only an inch or so high, so it was easy for her to walk in to it. She also had some issues with urinating outside the box - usually right in front of the box, either because she peed to close to the edge, or she just didn’t make it in time. We put puppy training pads in front of the box which worked great - easy cleanup!

My girl lived several years after being diagnosed with kidney disease, and I hope Mr Norris does the same! (Kitty Gunderson lived to 22)

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Scarlett45, here’s the one we bought for my elderly cat: Lucky Champ Litter Pan. The entrance is only an inch or so high, so it was easy for her to walk in to it. She also had some issues with urinating outside the box - usually right in front of the box, either because she peed to close to the edge, or she just didn’t make it in time. We put puppy training pads in front of the box which worked great - easy cleanup!

My girl lived several years after being diagnosed with kidney disease, and I hope Mr Norris does the same! (Kitty Gunderson lived to 22)

Thank you so much! I’m going to buy one. 

yes I have pads under the box for that very reason (in case he misses etc). 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 1

I do collect Candlewick, a beautiful depression glass. But I actually USE them, not just display them!

I love carnival glass, and one day hope to display some of it, but won't now because I honestly don't have the space.  When my one grandmother died my mother boxed up a bunch of it and gave it to me.  Grandma also had original Fiestaware but I suspect my mother sold a bunch of that because I never found any leftovers at my grandma's house and mom didn't give me any.     

• Love 2

I have just read about all of y’alls brave and Dr issues. I think I’ll just be an ostrich and bury my head in the sand. My deductible is 9k and the monthly premium is 1/3 of my income before taxes. I’m forcing myself to begin some necessary crap in January so I may meet my deductible at some point. Ha, and they say they don’t gauge your premiums on previous history. BS. 

• Love 5

Last year during our open enrollment period I went with the $3K deductible rather than the $5K because I thought I would hit that deductible.  This is for single coverage, not family.  I have a heart condition and changed doctors and knew I was going to have to have an echocardiogram. Also, I reached "that age" and had to have a colonoscopy. Plus I have to follow up with a cornea and a retina doctor as well as my yearly skin cancer check (gotta love my Great Britain ancestors).  The colonoscopy was covered 100% as a preventative exam like a mammogram and Pap smear --- oh, yeah, already had both of those this year too.  I am still over $800 from meeting my deductible, so it looks like I'm going for the $5K deductible next year and put a little more money into my Health Savings Account.  I'm seeing another cardiologist in January and I don't know what he might want to do, but the difference in what we pay per paycheck for the difference in the deductibles is worth the extra $2K that I might - or might not - have to pay out.   Insurance in this country is screwed up royally.  I was uninsured for six months after my COBRA ran out before I got on the ACA (and then two months later found another job that had insurance).  I had had a cornea transplant while I was still insured and during the time I was uninsured, my appointments were $27. When I got back on insurance it costs me almost $200 out of pocket.  But I'm not willing to go without insurance because you never know what might happen.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 7

Thank you all for the home/auto insurance info.  I've been putting off getting quotes only because it's such a pain in the ass.  I think I need to gather some paperwork, put on my adult beer goggles, and make some calls on Monday.  

@happy-I'm now driving a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited.  The color is just gorgeous.  It's called Quartz Blue Pearl.  Mr. Six is currently driving a 2016 Ford Mustang.  I completely understand our rates being high due to the Mustang.  But, Liberty is charging over $3000/year.  The last, for no reason, increase is what pushed me over the edge.  When I called them to drop our old car and add the new one, the guy was so happy that he was able to drop our payments by $78 per year.  I can do that much damage in Target in one day when I'm PMSing.

@scarlett-I don't think this litter bin is low enough for Mr. Norris, but we're so glad we invested in them.  We actually got 3, but there's only 2 in use.  We have three cats, and our Maine Coon was a big girl up until last year.  She had a hard time fitting, ahem, everything, in the previous boxes.  We get Tidy Cat litter from Chewy (highly recommend them too), and the pans will take almost all of a 20lb handled jug for the first use.  But, I've noticed that I'm not needing to buy litter as often since we got the Luuup system.  I feel like I should be shilling wrinkle creams on late night TV or something now...

• Love 2

We use a litter made of recycled newspaper called "Yesterday's News" that we get from Amazon. It does not require strip-mining like clay litter and is lighter than clay. Our nearly-19 year-old kitten has long hair and had, er, hygiene issues when we tried to switch to scoopable. She did not enjoy me washing her hindquarters to get the caked-on litter off and neither did I so she gets the deciding vote on this.

@Scarlett45, glad to hear Mr Norris has forgiven you again. My kitties also hold grudges for a bit after we get back from the vet.

• Love 2