Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Someone I have known since high school who works the graveyard shift at the group home I used to work has told me her mother has stage 5 breast cancer. #breastcancersucks

That blows. Indeed, cancer sucks. 

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, latetotheparty said:

You are correct. The Coumadin is the only one with dietary implications. I’m hoping to switch to one of the other meds soon. I miss my giant salads. 

This is true, but excess amounts of Vitamin K in food can cause the blood to clot more easily and potentially counteract the effects of an anticoagulant.  My brother in law has Factor V Leiden, a hereditary clotting problem, and has to take Eliquis forever after two pulmonary emboluses.  His doctor actually sent him to a dietician to review his diet and he got a list of foods that should be avoided including green leafy vegetables, spinach, broccoli etc. by anyone at risk for a blood clot.  So, he doesn't eat a lot of stuff he used to love.  However, he is a marathoner, and was supposed to run Boston for the umpteenth time while fully anticoagulated after his first PE.  His doctor was concerned, that, in the huge pack of runners, someone might knock him to the ground, he would hit his head and suffer a brain bleed (or 'knock some sense into him' as my sister said) and recommended against running.  Bro in law instead actually asked his doctor 'theoretically' how long it would someone need to stop taking blood thinners before doing something that 'hypothetically' could increase their chances of a serious bleed and the doctor told him (rather than let him freestyle it).  He did indeed run the Boston Marathon that year.

• Love 5
On 9/26/2018 at 1:35 PM, Marshmallow Mollie said:

My four year old son calls me by my first name if we are around anyone other than our little nuclear family. I think it’s smart of him to realize other people don’t know me as Mom and adjust accordingly - and I think that was smart of you, too! 

When my 7 yo grandson and I play with his superhero action figures, he has the action figures call me by my first name. Yet, when he introduces me to other people, he says "This is Grandma."

Last year one of the other Kindergarteners in his class told me he knew how to spell his Daddy's name--D A D D Y. Too cute!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Someone I have known since high school who works the graveyard shift at the group home I used to work has told me her mother has stage 5 breast cancer. #breastcancersucks

So sorry, @bigskygirl. I never even knew there was such a thing as stage 5 cancer. Cancer sucks completely. ?

Edited by Love2dance
Extra comma
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

This is true, but excess amounts of Vitamin K in food can cause the blood to clot more easily and potentially counteract the effects of an anticoagulant.  My brother in law has Factor V Leiden, a hereditary clotting problem, and has to take Eliquis forever after two pulmonary emboluses.  His doctor actually sent him to a dietician to review his diet and he got a list of foods that should be avoided including green leafy vegetables, spinach, broccoli etc. by anyone at risk for a blood clot.  So, he doesn't eat a lot of stuff he used to love.  However, he is a marathoner, and was supposed to run Boston for the umpteenth time while fully anticoagulated after his first PE.  He was concerned, that, in the huge pack of runners, someone might knock him to the ground, he would hit his head and suffer a brain bleed (or 'knock some sense into him' as my sister said).  Instead, bro in law just stopped using the blood thinners before the race and resumed afterwards.  He actually asked his doctor 'theoretically' how long it would someone need to stop taking blood thinners before doing something that 'hypothetically' could increase their chances of a serious bleed and the doctor told him (rather than let him freestyle it).  He did indeed run the Boston Marathon that year.

Thanks for that information. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to no more giant salads and, truth be told, I’m not sure I could actually eat one anymore. The embolism and the aftermath really did a number on my appetite that took me months to recover from. I’ve lost a ton of weight but not in a good way. And if I get sick I seem to have to struggle with appetite all over again, although I’m batting better at recovering from it. I’m coming up on a year and very grateful to be here. The worst is no nsaids but I’m adjusting. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

When my 7 yo grandson and I play with his superhero action figures, he has the action figures call me by my first name. Yet, when he introduces me to other people, he says "This is Grandma."

Last year one of the other Kindergarteners in his class told me he knew how to spell his Daddy's name--D A D D Y. Too cute!

Oh that is cute!!!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Oh that is cute!!!

This reminds me of the younger daughter of my dearest friend.  When she was younger (probably between 4 and 5), she was excited to tell me that she knew which button to push on the vcr to make the movie "go".  I asked her how she knew , and she said "P-L-A-Y spells go!".

As a side note, I spent many years teaching kindergarten and those 'angels' do say the funniest things?  

• Love 5

I hope this is okay to post. I am scared and desperately afraid that something horrible has happened.

This is my sister, Laura Johnson. She has not been in contact with her family since September 7, 2018. She was living in Billings, Montana with an ex-boyfriend who had previously been very abusive to her. 
Laura is 5'4" tall and weighs about 130 lbs. If you have seen her or know anything about her whereabouts, please contact the Billings Police Department. If you have contact with her, please ask her to call anyone in her family. We are very concerned about her safety and well-being.

Laura.JPG

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 23

@Nysha I sincerely hope that you see Your sister alive and well soon. Since you mentioned the police dept to call, I’m assuming that they are involved in a missing persons report and/or investigating her disappearance. I hope that they can help. 

I can’t imagine how scary this is for you. I’m here for any virtual hand holding if you need it. In the meantime you have my thoughts and prayers for a positive outcome. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Nysha said:

I hope this is okay to post. I am scared and desperately afraid that something horrible has happened.

This is my sister, Laura Johnson. She has not been in contact with her family since September 7, 2018. She was living in Billings, Montana with an ex-boyfriend who had previously been very abusive to her. 
Laura is 5'4" tall and weighs about 130 lbs. If you have seen her or know anything about her whereabouts, please contact the Billings Police Department. If you have contact with her, please ask her to call anyone in her family. We are very concerned about her safety and well-being.

Laura.JPG

@Nysha  I hope she will come back to your family soon.

@Nysha I hope she is found safe and sound.  I will be lighting candles and sending energy tonight in my meditation and keep that candle lit for her.  Do you have a description, by chance, of either her vehicle or his?  I live in Northern CA, but stranger things have happened and I worked for a couple of years and trained with our large search and rescue team.  I will definitely be keeping an eye out in case they came down this way.  Sending you and your family virtual hugs as well as tissues, booze and a good hot meal - nothing like Jill would cook, trust me.

• Love 8

Oh @Nysha.  Unfortunately that’s bout all I have at this moment.  This is horrifying news.  Have any family members been able to go to Billings to axtually speak to authorities there?  Because that would be th worst, if no one is able to actually talk with people looking for her.  How far away are her family members from Billings?  I am so so sorry you’re going through this.  Everybody here is sitting on the edges of our seats, waiting for some good news.  

• Love 7

@Nysha, that is awful. I found your sister's son's Facebook post about her being missing, and shared it on my FB timeline, because I have a few random FB friends somewhere in Montana. It seems so little to do but I suppose it's better than feeling totally powerless. You and your family are in my prayers.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

@Nysha, that is awful. I found your sister's son's Facebook post about her being missing, and shared it on my FB timeline, because I have a few random FB friends somewhere in Montana. It seems so little to do but I suppose it's better than feeling totally powerless. You and your family are in my prayers.

I did the same thing. Sending you love, hugs and prayers she will be found soon and will be back with your family soon.

10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

not sure how to find this on FB but if you could link it, i will share locally here in so-cal.  in the meantime, NYSHA, i dont know how to bring you any comfort except to say that we, as a group, are here to support you. 

(NEVERMIND, I C/P TO SHARE IT. )

Edited by zoomama
figured out how to share this
  • Love 6

@Nysha I have forwarded your sister's info to a friend of mine who's son and family recently moved to Eastern Washington state.  He has shared it with 2 cousins - one runs a summer lake camp area, where folks try to come in during the off time,  and the other is a big rig trucker whose route is through Montana.  I will be contacting another friend tomorrow whose brother also does a West Coast big rig as well - hopefully they will be able to get the word out and will be able to find your sister.

• Love 9

@NYSHA, this is bizarre but on my cousin's page, who is not part of this group to my knowledge, is a share from a young guy who says he is her son. how much of a small world is that? any update today?

• Love 4

Has anyone on the board experienced a successful pregnancy after an ectopic? My favorite niece lost her pregnancy and tube a few weeks ago and I would love to tell her I “know” someone who did.  She’s such a cool person. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Catfin said:

Has anyone on the board experienced a successful pregnancy after an ectopic? My favorite niece lost her pregnancy and tube a few weeks ago and I would love to tell her I “know” someone who did.  She’s such a cool person. 

Not me, but my cousin had her 3rd child after an ectopic pregnancy.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, Catfin said:

Not me but my mom did and she had 3 kids after that with only one tube.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Catfin said:

Yes, I have a first cousin whose first pregnancy was ectopic and went on to have 3 "normal" pregnancies after that.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, pinkie said:

Catfin: Yes, a family member had an ectopic pregnancy, & went on to have 2 more children afterwards. (this was back in the 90s) I wish your niece every success!

One of my friends in high school her mom did. She went onto have another baby three or four years later.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I miss the girl I used to be in 2008. It was the last time I was happy and had hope.

Oh, that's a terrible thing to read. I can actually relate in many ways, but it's still terrible to read. PM me if you need to vent. I'm a good listener even if I'm not all that good at actually being helpful.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I miss the girl I used to be in 2008. It was the last time I was happy and had hope.

I’m so sorry you feel like this but uuhh i identify deeply ?? concentrate on yourself ad get some help if you need it and you’re definitely not alone

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Update on my missing sister. The police obtained a search warrant for the ex-boyfriend's home and vehicle. They took several items from the house, garage, and trunk of the car to be tested for DNA evidence. Laura's son was in Billings most of this week but had to leave, my parents are now there. The police aren't saying much, but it doesn't sound like they expect to find Laura alive. Know for sure is better than not knowing, but we're still praying and hoping that the outcome will be happier than that.

Nysha I'm very sorry for what your family is going through. I pray you get closure/answers that your family seeks. I agree that knowing is better than living in limbo and hoping. 

I hope and pray your family gets a miracle.

Domestic violence touches everyone somehow.  My friend is a survivor and still has ptsd/flashbacks of her husband... She can't even watch anything violent. Once we went to the movies and it had domestic violence scene in it. She freaked out and we left...

Ladies stay safe.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

I'm glad you're back. I've been worried. Please try to some help if you can.

I'm getting help but its not really helping me. Its hard being alone in the world. I'm trying to adjust/accept that this is how my life is going to be forever.  My post got deleted where I explained everything before.  No amount of therapy etc is going to help when you are alone.  And obviously the therapist doesn't really care about me she is there to listen she gets paid.  The doctor cares even less. Its just how it is.

For those who still have their parents love and treasure them even if they annoy you and anger you. When they are gone they are gone. You will never get a hug or advise or love like that ever again.

2008 is when I graduated college. I have 2 college degrees and have been unemployed or underemployed ever since then. Before I got degrees I was okay with getting retail minimum wage jobs. But with 2 degrees it upsets me too much to get that. I never reached my potential in earning $$$ . Crappy job means I can't move out of my unsafe apartment or get anything I truly want. I just barely scrape by just like everyone else.  I wish I never went to college at all.

TGIF everyone.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

Update on my missing sister. The police obtained a search warrant for the ex-boyfriend's home and vehicle. They took several items from the house, garage, and trunk of the car to be tested for DNA evidence. Laura's son was in Billings most of this week but had to leave, my parents are now there. The police aren't saying much, but it doesn't sound like they expect to find Laura alive. Know for sure is better than not knowing, but we're still praying and hoping that the outcome will be happier than that.

I am so sorry. Praying and hoping she comes home safe and sound.

5 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I'm getting help but its not really helping me. Its hard being alone in the world. I'm trying to adjust/accept that this is how my life is going to be forever.  My post got deleted where I explained everything before.  No amount of therapy etc is going to help when you are alone.  And obviously the therapist doesn't really care about me she is there to listen she gets paid.  The doctor cares even less. Its just how it is.

For those who still have their parents love and treasure them even if they annoy you and anger you. When they are gone they are gone. You will never get a hug or advise or love like that ever again.

2008 is when I graduated college. I have 2 college degrees and have been unemployed or underemployed ever since then. Before I got degrees I was okay with getting retail minimum wage jobs. But with 2 degrees it upsets me too much to get that. I never reached my potential in earning $$$ . Crappy job means I can't move out of my unsafe apartment or get anything I truly want. I just barely scrape by just like everyone else.  I wish I never went to college at all.

TGIF everyone.

I understand what you are saying. I am trying to find a job I can do with all my medical issues and feel like I keep hitting a brick wall. I would love to find a job working with people with mental illness because I can relate to their struggles aka a social services type job where I hopefully can make a difference and helping others would help me feel good also in the long run. I have thought of data entry but sitting in front of a computer all day could make certain medical issues worse instead of better. I can sit at home in front of the computer and get up and move around and if I start to feel sick I am already at home, but at work it will be harder.