Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Triple P said:

The Salvation Army near my house closed recently. Items there were ridicuously overpriced. The clothing was organized by women's, men's, and children's, but not by type or size or color. 

Prices at my Goodwill are reasonable on everything except furniture. It is not unusual to find a 1980s era couch priced over $100.

The Value Village is the best in terms of organization and price. I think it is only in the Pacific Northwest though.

I love Value Village!  Ours is huge, clean, inexpensive, and very well organized.  Sure you have to look through lots of stuff, but that has to happen at the mall, too.

• Love 1

Crossings fingers this will happen. The tribe deserves it. I just wish they would have happen while my grandmother was still alive. I am proud and honored to be a member of the tribe, and I respect and admire my ancestors for what they went through in order for future generations to have a better life.

http://www.kfbb.com/story/39080729/little-shell-chippewa-tribal-win

Edited by bigskygirl
4 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Crossings fingers this will happen. The tribe deserves it. I just wish they would have happen while my grandmother was still alive. I am proud and honored to be a member of the tribe, and I respect and admire my ancestors for what they went through in order for future generations to have a better life.

Best wishes with it and I hope it gets to the President’s desk and he signs it. 

Hooray for your tribe. 

• Love 1
On 9/11/2018 at 9:01 PM, Catfin said:

The $#@& squirrels peek in our windows and fornicate on our deck. All.the.damn.time!  When husband was in school, he was working as a community service officer, basically unsworn/no weapon. He’d answer lockout calls, minor stuff, animal complaints. One night he and another CSO tag teamed getting a squirrel out of an apartment. Hijinks ensued and they eventually caught the poor, hapless thing. DH was at the end of his shift and over it. Rather than releasing it on the other end of the county, he brought it to our very suburban yard and turned it loose. We nicknamed it Urban Squirrel, as it came from the city and was skinny, with a janky bent tail. He was easy to recognize compared to the resident fat lazy squirrels. Anyway, Urban Squirrel imprinted on DH and would follow him around the yard whenever he was out. He’d follow husband when he drove the riding mower, worked in the garden, did projects, etc. it was hilarious. I used to tease DH that the squirrel was thanking him for relocating him to the ‘burbs. 

That is what ours are called!  I used to supervise them.  Fun job.  I knew EVERYTHING going on on campus.  Loved it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Haha, thanks to your link, I clicked on a bra ad and have now spent my entire morning looking at bras!  And reading endless reviews and I even took a boob quiz!  Now I know that only 9% of women are shaped like me.  36 AA!  After all that, they recommended I shop elsewhere!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Triple P said:

The Value Village is the best in terms of organization and price. I think it is only in the Pacific Northwest though.

We had a Value Village in SE MI, but it closed maybe two or three years ago. It was huge and always busy, so I'm not sure why it closed. People were upset when it went away, especially because it was replaced with a Five Below.

• Love 1

Mindthinkr -- are you able to check in with us? been watching the weather channel (ok - listening while i type) and it sounds pretty scary. not knowing what city you are in, i dont know if you are in danger or not but i do see rescues and last minutes evacuations due to flooding going on. please let us know how you are,  if you can. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, zoomama said:

Mindthinkr -- are you able to check in with us? been watching the weather channel (ok - listening while i type) and it sounds pretty scary. not knowing what city you are in, i dont know if you are in danger or not but i do see rescues and last minutes evacuations due to flooding going on. please let us know how you are,  if you can. 

She may be without power or evacuated.  Some who stayed at the coast have been evacuated. Here's an update. (I went north of Raleigh, NC and we are fine so far.  Still have power and nothing severe yet.)

Sadly, there are 4 deaths. 

EARLIER STORY: WILMINGTON, N.C. — Blowing ashore with howling 90 mph winds, Hurricane Florence splintered buildings, trapped hundreds of people and swamped entire communities along the Carolina coast Friday in what could be just the opening act in a watery, two-part, slow-motion disaster. At least four people were killed.

Forecasters warned that drenching rains of anywhere from 1 to 3½ feet as the storm crawls westward across North and South Carolina could trigger epic flooding well inland over the next few days.

As 400-mile-wide Florence pounded away at the coast with torrential downpours and surging seas, rescue crews used boats to reach scores of people besieged by rising waters along a river. More than 60 others had to be rescued as a cinderblock motel collapsed.

Florence flattened trees, crumbled roads and knocked out power to more than 700,000 homes and businesses, and the assault wasn't anywhere near an end.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/uninvited-brute-4-dead-as-florence-drenches-the-carolinas/ar-BBNjjRv?ocid=spartanntp

I hope she's okay. Maybe, we'll hear something soon.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

She may be without power or evacuated.  Some who stayed at the coast have been evacuated. Here's an update. (I went north of Raleigh, NC and we are fine so far.  Still have power and nothing severe yet.)

Sadly, there are 4 deaths. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/uninvited-brute-4-dead-as-florence-drenches-the-carolinas/ar-BBNjjRv?ocid=spartanntp

I hope she's okay. Maybe, we'll hear something soon.  

thanks for letting us know.   its been awful watching the weather channel and seeing the damage.

• Love 5

I had the creepiest nightmare last night. I was stuck at the Duggar house and couldn't leave because I couldn't find my cell phone. 

I was trying to help the kids each get separate bedrooms, when Michelle came in and said "when is your birthday?" In a soft voice and with googly eyes.

I felt frozen, couldn't tell her, and she got madder and madder, and then I suddenly woke up in a cold sweat, and I'm still thinking about it an hour later.

Sounds funny now, but it was horrifying.

PS. Nobody else but you guys would understand ?

Edited by ChiCricket
Still shaking
  • Love 23
24 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I had the creepiest nightmare last night. I was stuck at the Duggar house and couldn't leave because I couldn't find my cell phone. 

I was trying to help the kids each get separate bedrooms, when Michelle came in and said "when is your birthday?" In a soft voice and with googly eyes.

I felt frozen, couldn't tell her, and she got madder and madder, and then I suddenly woke up in a cold sweat, and I'm still thinking about it an hour later.

That's what you get for reading these boards just before bed!  I try to read them early in the morning and then catch up in the late afternoon.  Then by bedtime, hopefully, I can settle down with no Duggar dreams.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Okay, I laughed, but that is horrifying! 

The only pop culture dream I ever had was just odd. I for whatever reason was living in my parent's house in the dream, which I hadn't done in years, and the repairman who popped up was Tobias Menzies, who at the time I'd just seen in Rome. I was like, "Hey, weren't you in Rome?" And he said he was but he wasn't acting anymore. And I told him that was a shame because I thought he was a good actor. And then he agreed that he should give it another try and left without fixing anything. The last thing I remember was thinking that was the last time I gave anyone a pep talk until after they'd finished their repair job. And then I woke up. 

52 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Hello everyone.  Just popping in to let you know that Mindthinkr and her kitties are safe.  She is conserving her phone battery so won't be posting for a while ...

Very glad to hear that. Thank you! 

• Love 6

Hello again. 

Mindthinkr has requested that you pray for her daughter, who is stranded in the midst of flooding.  It sounds bad, and although Mindthinkr is safe for now, she cannot get to her daughter, who is not.

On a personal note, I'd like to thank you all for your care and concern. 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Hello again. 

Mindthinkr has requested that you pray for her daughter, who is stranded in the midst of flooding.  It sounds bad, and although Mindthinkr is safe for now, she cannot get to her daughter, who is not.

On a personal note, I'd like to thank you all for your care and concern. 

Oh dear, what a frightening and horrifying position for a parent. I so hope it is just a communication problem and that she will be able to connect with her soon. Sending hugs and best thoughts to @Mindthinkr and her daughter.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

Oh dear, what a frightening and horrifying position for a parent. I so hope it is just a communication problem and that she will be able to connect with her soon. Sending hugs and best thoughts to @Mindthinkr and her daughter.

Sadly, communication with her daughter isn't the problem.  Getting help for her is.  Hence, the request for prayers.

• Love 5
Just now, walnutqueen said:

Sadly, communication with her daughter isn't the problem.  Getting help for her is.  Hence, the request for prayers.

So sorry. I misunderstood. Of course, sending fervent prayers that she will get the help she needs. Heartbreaking.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Love2dance said:

So sorry. I misunderstood. Of course, sending fervent prayers that she will get the help she needs. Heartbreaking.

I fear that there are far too many people in need of some divine intervention.  Mindthinkr (and her family) just happens to be one of our own.

She told me y'all were good people; and if she says so, it goes, for me.  Any and all good thoughts and wishes  (and PRAYERS!) are greatly appreciated.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I fear that there are far too many people in need of some divine intervention.  Mindthinkr (and her family) just happens to be one of our own.

She told me y'all were good people; and if she says so, it goes, for me.  Any and all good thoughts and wishes  (and PRAYERS!) are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for passing on the info. Next time you talk with her tell her we are praying for her and her daughter. I cannot imagine the stress she is under.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

She and her family are in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for keeping us informed.

PS: According to reliable sources, you're good people too, WQ. ;-)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 5

@walnutqueen thank you so much for posting about mindthnkr.  That is our dilemma; that we’re primarily cyber buddies.  Sometimes we have to wait forever to hear from someone and each day ticking by makes us a little more nuts.  Please pass along that we DO care and are praying for her safety and well-being.

i used to dream about the Duggs all the time.  Can’t even tell you howi many times I’ve tried to rescue Jana.  She never listens.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 10
18 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

She and her family are in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for keeping us informed.

PS: According to reliable sources, you're good people too, WQ. ;-)

Have you been talking to my raccoons, Jeeves?  Because they are notorious liars and will say anything for a bowl of cat food.  Satan could get a thumbs up if he fed them a couple of raw eggs.  :-D

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Have you been talking to my raccoons, Jeeves?  Because they are notorious liars and will say anything for a bowl of cat food.  Satan could get a thumbs up if he fed them a couple of raw eggs.  :-D

Damn. Busted again. And I had to buy the premium brand too; turned up their noses at the cheapo supermarket stuff.

• Love 3

OK, I'm starting to feel like the town crier here ...

Mindthinkr wants me to tell you all that your prayers are working.  She is OK, but her daughter is still trapped by floodwaters that are rising and expected to crest tomorrow or Wednesday.

She very much appreciates your concern and support, as do I.

• Love 16

walnutqueen is full of it, she really is good people. Although her liver may disagree.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to Mindthinkr and her family right now. Florence is a bitch.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

walnutqueen is full of it, she really is good people. Although her liver may disagree.

HAH!  I was gifted with what has become my favorite beverage glass; perfectly shaped and weighted, and it is etched with :

"Shut up, liver.  You're fine."

• Love 13
11 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Good to see you in this neck of the woods @walnutqueen@Mindthinkr and her family is in my thoughts.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Good to see you in this neck of the woods @walnutqueen!

Mindthinkr made me do it.  Even in her times of trouble, she's trying to reform this old pagan and save my immortal soul.  When all this hurricane shit started, my reaction was along the lines of "You want me to post in a fucking PRAYERS thread?  In a fucking COUNTING ON forum?  Seriously?!?"  Stealth bitch knows I love her too much to refuse any request.  ;-)

So here I am.

But you cannot make me watch anything about those GODDAMNED Duggars - ever.

Which is my loss, because y'all are really nice people here, and I'd really like to stick around & chat sometimes ...

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Mindthinkr made me do it.  Even in her times of trouble, she's trying to reform this old pagan and save my immortal soul.  When all this hurricane shit started, my reaction was along the lines of "You want me to post in a fucking PRAYERS thread?  In a fucking COUNTING ON forum?  Seriously?!?"  Stealth bitch knows I love her too much to refuse any request.  ;-)

So here I am.

Which is my loss, because y'all are really nice people here, and I'd really like to stick around & chat sometimes ...

I am laughing way too loudly for work!  I don't watch either any longer but I get my updates from these very nice posters.  Stick around!

• Love 7

I never did watch the Duggs.  I originally came to gripe about them (5 years ago?) but loved the group so much I just found a comfortable  spot and stayed.  We talk about everything/anything but the Duggars.   The fun thing is trying to explain to anyone else what this group “is”.  I bet mindthinkr had a big time trying to explain the PC!!!

• Love 12
43 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

I never did watch the Duggs.  I originally came to gripe about them (5 years ago?) but loved the group so much I just found a comfortable  spot and stayed.  We talk about everything/anything but the Duggars.   The fun thing is trying to explain to anyone else what this group “is”.  I bet mindthinkr had a big time trying to explain the PC!!!

Same goes for me! I don't watch them! Stay with us, @walnutqueen - you'll like us!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

So here I am.

Ha! Welcome to the club, @walnutqueen ! From one heathen to another, I've never watched this show either, but have been happily posting here for...geez, probably something like five years now (when did that happen??). Watching the show is completely extraneous to discussing it. I think you could fit right in if you decide to stick around. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Ha! Welcome to the club, @walnutqueen ! From one heathen to another, I've never watched this show either, but have been happily posting here for...geez, probably something like five years now (when did that happen??). Watching the show is completely extraneous to discussing it. I think you could fit right in if you decide to stick around. 

I'll stick around, because, among other things, your screen name amuses my bouche.  I have fresh limes, and vintage barware.  :-)

1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

*dons Ramona googly-eyed glasses* 

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! ?

I just KNEW y'all were a frickin' CULT!!!

Next you'll be pulling off all those nice friendly faces to reveal the Lizard Lords with the TruFaith janky jewelry.  :-)

• Love 11
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

So here I am.

First off Thank you so much for updating us @walnutqueen!  Getting ready to light candles and send energy to Mindthinkr and her kids.  Second - another old Pagan here so you'll fit right in!.  Third as someone mentioned we have lots of booze and great snacks, including costco size bags of popcorn because sometimes you just have to pull up the couch and the popcorn and watch the trainwreck!  4 - I rarely watch the show and get the main info here.  Occasionally I'll read something here and go searching for the show, BUT I am only allowed to watch on my laptop with my earbuds in - per Mr. Dragon because he can't stand to even see or hear them!  Also I can only watch about 10-15 minutes at a time and that's with booze.  So no worries if you don't watch.  Come, enjoy the snark, the chatting and the friendship!

• Love 4

For anybody on these boards thinking about donating money for Hurricane Florence,  I would like you to consider donating to Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh instead of the Red Cross.   The many farming communities currently under water have a sizeable Hispanic population.  Many of these families will look to the church before any government agency especially with the language barrier.  Thanks. 

• Love 16

Thank you for the updates Walnut.  Mind & her daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.

I have posted on some other shows, and I never felt all that welcome.  These folks were welcoming from day one, and I knew I found my people.  I do watch weekly just to make sure I hate these people as much I did before.  It's amazing that the dislike for one family can bring people together.  At that damn family did something right.

• Love 14